News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions- Page 18

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#425Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/16 at 7:59pm

This thread should be renamed "Reasonably Timed 2016 Tony Predictions," at this point.

pupscotch
#427Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/16 at 8:16pm

Is Stephen Karam allowed to vote for anything where The Humans is eligible? I noticed him on the list and though it is just one vote, it's not like there are a lot to go around.

Freeman5
#428Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 4:54am

The reviews for Tuck Everlasting were much stronger than I thought they would be. From everything I had read about past productions and previews I expected mixed to negative reviews, yet I found them to be mostly mixed to positive; how does this affect its Tony nominations chances? I felt it would def. get a Scenic Design nomination and perhaps a Lighting Design nomination - is it going to do better than expected next Tuesday? If it does, at the expense of what other musical?

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#429Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 6:33am

Tuck could certainly be a surprise Best Musical nomination at this point. Especially with it getting (somehow) more solid reviews then other shows this season that are way more interesting. I've said it before in other topics but it is the sole "family friendly" option of the season. It's boring but it's also marketable. Sometimes the more marketable show gets the nomination over that might be more creative or dynamic but also took one to many chances. Tuck is a SAFE show to promote on the telecast with a nomination and a performance. It's reminds me so much of the year of Aladdin and going even further back then that, the year Leap of Faith somehow got only ONE nomination but it just happened to be for Best Musical in a season that had way more daring and interesting options.

As for the expense of what other show, I think that still depends on Shuffle Along's reviews tomorrow night. Shuffle seems to be the kind of show that the critics are either gonna love or hate at this point. much like how a lot of the people that have seen it and talked about it here on the boards. My personal predictions have pretty much always been Hamilton, Waitress, American Psycho, & School of Rock... with Shuffle, Get On You Feet, and Tuck on the bubble for the possible 5th slot (which I am 95% sure will get used this year with how close everything seems to be). At this point I could see Tuck either taking that slot over the others OR bumping out School or Rock.

neonlightsxo
#430Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:25am

pupscotch said: "Is Stephen Karam allowed to vote for anything where The Humans is eligible? I noticed him on the list and though it is just one vote, it's not like there are a lot to go around."

No, he's not. There's a rule about that.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#431Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:27am

I'm surprised he is on the list. I recall someone dropping out of the committee when they became involved with one of the shows later in the season. I forget if it was a playwright or an actor or a director. So I take it Karam is only allowed to vote in the musical categories and lead acting for plays (since all THE HUMANS actors are Featured, right? Or am I misremembering that?).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

neonlightsxo
#432Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:31am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "^Why are we taking potential box office numbers into account? The nominators are just going to nominate whatever they'll like best this season. Even if a show is closed, it'll just have to be about the memories the nominators even have of them."

If I remember correctly you were SURE Honeymoon in Vegas would get multiple nominations last year.

neonlightsxo
#433Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:33am

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/about/admin_comm.html

Is  Karam a voter or a nominator? He's not on this list.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#435Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:39am

Karam must have bowed out. The lists that include him are dated 2015, whereas the list that neonlightsxo posted is dated February 2016. 

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BroadwayConcierge
#436Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:40am

Oh, oops, you're right! Didn't notice the season title at the top of the page I posted, apologies!

neonlightsxo
#437Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:40am

That's what I thought. Makes sense.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#438Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:47am

neonlightsxo said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "^Why are we taking potential box office numbers into account? The nominators are just going to nominate whatever they'll like best this season. Even if a show is closed, it'll just have to be about the memories the nominators even have of them."

If I remember correctly you were SURE Honeymoon in Vegas would get multiple nominations last year.
"

I think had Something Rotten stuck with its original plan by going out-of-town instead of opening cold in New York, Honeymoon in Vegas probably would've taken its slot.

neonlightsxo
#439Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:52am

...yeah OK. That's why it got ZERO Tony nominations. Just admit you're wrong.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#440Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 9:54am

Nobody's perfect.

Trish2
#441Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 10:00am

To me, there is no question that TUCK will get a Tony nod. Based on the reviews and the love for Nicholaw ( look no further than Michael Dale's BWW review this morning) I think it's a shoo-in for a spot in more than one category.

I liked it, but didn't love it. The story is charming and sweet and small. My guess is that there will be better productions( when the rights are released), when a smarter director uses his own vision, strips the show down, removes that huge group of dancing villagers, and focuses on the whimsical story. The ( Agnes DeMille-like) ballet at the end would pack even more of a wallop when there is less cotton candy dancing preceding it throughout the rest of the show.

True, the music is the music, but I could see so many different ways to present it. Actually it should have been done as a 90 minute production, in an intimate off-Broadway house. ( = no $)

Dale's BWW gush:

TUCK EVERLASTING, A Hearty And Magical Charmer

Updated On: 4/27/16 at 10:00 AM

BroadwayConcierge
#442Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 11:07am

Just because I haven't posted any of my full predictions at all, I figured I'd plug my production-oriented nomination predictions now...

Best Musical
Hamilton
School of Rock
Waitress
Duel between American PsychoTuck, and Shuffle Along

Best Play
The Humans
The Father
Eclipsed
King Charles III

Best Revival of a Musical
She Loves Me
Fiddler on the Roof
The Color Purple
Spring Awakening (if nominators are feeling generous—and honestly, it wouldn't be unprecedented)

Best Revival of a Play
Noises Off
Long Day's Journey Into Night
A View from the Bridge
Blackbird

Updated On: 4/27/16 at 11:07 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#443Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 11:21am

Here's my current predictions:

Best Musical:
Hamilton
School of Rock
Shuffle Along...
Waitress

Potential Spoiler: On Your Feet!

Best Play:
Eclipsed
The Father
The Humans
King Charles III

Best Revival of a Musical:
The Color Purple
Fiddler on the Roof
She Loves Me

If There's a Fourth Slot: Spring Awakening

Best Revival of a Play:
The Crucible
Long Day's Journey Into Night
Noises Off
A View From the Bridge

Potential Spoiler: Blackbird

BroadwayConcierge
#444Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 11:23am

LOL Jeffrey, there is absolutely no chance of On Your Feet! getting a Musical nom. Yikes.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#445Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 11:25am

It was far better received than American Psycho. I don't think it'll be nominated, but I don't think it's totally out as a slotfiller nominee.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#446Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 12:30pm

So does Shuffle Along win the battle of getting a Best Musical nom instead of a Best Revival nom?

neonlightsxo
#447Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 12:46pm

We won't know until Friday. And they want Revival, not New Musical.

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#448Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 2:11pm

neonlightsxo said: "We won't know until Friday. And they want Revival, not New Musical."

You're right. I had it backwards. 

ChiTheaterFan
#449Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/16 at 11:08pm

I saw Bright Star tonight and I'm really hoping Carmen Cusack gets a nomination. She was marvelous. I really loved the show and I hope it's able to stick around for awhile. Not exactly the best story ever (and you have to suspend reality in the second act) but I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I also didn't realize Steve Martin is a Tony away from an EGOT. I don't think it will happen this year unfortunately, but I think they have a shot at a best score nomination. The music is lovely. 

ETA:  the playbill says he has an academy award. Upon googling I found that it is an honorary Oscar. Does that count?

Updated On: 4/27/16 at 11:08 PM

Videos