News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Great Comet Seating Thread- Page 6

Great Comet Seating Thread

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#125Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 12/31/16 at 2:07pm

So would Row BB seats 1 & 3 be ok? or would row BE, higher up, but same seats, be better? I would like to be on the aisle with a table next to me. Would I miss anything? Also, do you have to look upstage a lot and is that view obstructed.

edit: or should I just keep my Row g rift orchestra seats, or is the extra $30 worth it?

Updated On: 12/31/16 at 02:07 PM

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#126Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 12/31/16 at 5:03pm

LesWickedly said: "So would Row BB seats 1 & 3 be ok? or would row BE, higher up, but same seats, be better? I would like to be on the aisle with a table next to me. Would I miss anything? Also, do you have to look upstage a lot and is that view obstructed.

edit: or should I just keep my Row g rift orchestra seats, or is the extra $30 worth it?
"

I definitely think it's worth the extra $30 to trade in your orchestra seats for the banquette seats. Row BB vs. BE is a personal preference. There is some action (not a lot) that happens upstage, that you'll need to turn your head to see, and you may have a better view of it from the BB seats. While the BE seats, because they're set higher, might give you a better view of what's happening in the front of the mezzanine. But please keep in mind that no matter where you sit for this show, be it the stage, orchestra or mezzanine, you're going to miss some things. That's the nature of the show. But all of the key scenes are staged so that you should be able to see them from just about anywhere. Except those crappy T-line downstage table seats. They lowered the price on those for a reason.

Updated On: 12/31/16 at 05:03 PM

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#127Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 12/31/16 at 5:07pm

Double post.

Updated On: 12/31/16 at 05:07 PM

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#128Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 12/31/16 at 5:23pm

For an overall view of the show the first few rows of the regular orchestra seats would be best. I sat in the banquettes and while I was closer to some action it still felt like stage seats where the whole picture was not being presented and I was looking at everything from behind. Nothing happens in the balcony of value to make up for the bigger picture of the entire stage area . I saw some videos taken from the orchestra seats perspective and felt like I missed that perspective completely. Unless you get a seat where the actors are in your lap and you like that sort of thing I'd take a seat further back.  And PS all this talk of "action" you'll miss should be reclassified as "activity" or "scenes" aside from the interesting concept of a show staged in a nightclub among the patrons the staging is very slow and deliberate so nothing can really be missed .

Up In One
Updated On: 12/31/16 at 05:23 PM

midorigal
#129Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 12/31/16 at 6:22pm

Just came from the 12/31 matinee we were in rear mezz row E aisle right behind a little stage where dancers cane around. We got a dumpling and shaker. Highly recommend for $99!

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#130Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 12/31/16 at 6:51pm

To each his own, of course, but I disagree with Up In One. If you're willing to forgo the novelty of sitting on stage, I'd go for mezzanine seats (front or rear) over orchestra seats for this show. After seeking out the house manager, I was moved to the 7th row of the orchestra from those dreadful T-line table seats. The view was much better than the downstage seats, but the view from the mezzanine (which I visited during intermission) beat my orchestra seat view by a mile.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#131Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 12/31/16 at 8:38pm

I've talked to two sets of friends who much regretted paying top dollar for "better" seats, only to walk up to the rear mezz at intermission and realize how much better the overall view and even access is.  The immersive experience is the climate of the evening; being spitting distance from actors may create intimacy. But it's a (brilliant) show that's directed and designed -- and composed -- to be almost assaultive on the senses.  You will be rewarded opting to put some distance between you and the actors.   

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#132Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/1/17 at 3:35pm

Anyone know where the lottery seats are located? 

"In here, life is beautiful"

akmiller_98
#133Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/1/17 at 3:38pm

I won two nights ago. My seats were rear mezz, row two on the left. They were good seats.

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#134Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/1/17 at 3:43pm

Thanks for the info, glad to hear they are good seats. I'd heard that some are lucky to win on-stage seats. Can't wait to see it tonight!

"In here, life is beautiful"

Hairspray0901
#135Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/5/17 at 11:58am

anyone have opinions on the far left and far right seats in the front mezz? seats 7/8?

OurMrsParker
#136Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/6/17 at 10:48pm

I don't know if this has been directly answered, but if it has, please let me know.

I have banquette seats for the show in February - seats 2 and 4 in row BF - so end seats to the left. I've read that the banquettes are some of the best seats, but how much actor interaction do you have? Particularly with Josh Groban?

Another question, more general: I DESPERATELY want to get my playbill signed by the cast/get a picture with Josh Groban after the show at the stage door. With the seats on the stage, how likely am I to get to the stage door after the show to be close enough to get an autograph/picture?

Thanks so much for the help!!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#137Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/6/17 at 11:12pm

Stairs. Someone on a soon-to-disappear thread on ATC mentioned that there's a lot of stairs in the normal access (past the merch table to the upstage door) to the onstage seats. 

My husband has difficulty with stairs. (He can do them, but they can be exhausting and take time). We're seated on the first banquette, on the center aisle/stairs, stage right, BA 9 & 11. I already figured we'd make sure we hit the bathroom at Sardi's before arriving at the theater, since an intermission stop from the stage would be difficult in any event.

The poster mentioned that there were lots of stairs either by entering from the upstage doors or coming up from the orchestra seats. Do you think it would be worthwhile to ask to use the audience stairs?  After the performance, could we simply exit that way?

VintageSnarker
#138Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:32pm

LesWickedly said: "A great view of the theatre to see how your non-onstage seats may look.

https://instagram.com/p/BNs6HXbhpTS/"

I'm pretty committed to the idea of the Rear Mezzanine now but I'm still unsure about this lighting fixture. It only goes up to row H. Do you think it would be better to sit closer to the center or in the first few rows but slightly to the side. Also is there likely to be audience interaction in all four aisles or just in particular areas? 

HSky
#139Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/9/17 at 6:49pm

MarkBearSF said: "Stairs. Someone on a soon-to-disappear thread on ATC mentioned that there's a lot of stairs in the normal access (past the merch table to the upstage door) to the onstage seats."

Hi, I'm the ATC poster. :) There is a handicapped accessible restroom right by the main onstage access in the lobby (otherwise the Imperial restrooms are upstairs) if that helps pre-show. I would ask to enter from the orchestra level when you arrive, everyone has to get off the stage that way anyway (the only time the audience passes through the upstage entrance is to initially take a seat) at intermission or after the show. Since you're in Row A of the banquettes, it isn't as many steps up as a higher row. 

I sat up in the last row of rear mezz for the first time last week after having been onstage a few times and loved the view. I had to look around the lighting fixtures a little to see a performer when they were all the way upstage by the door, but otherwise, I could see everything that I think is necessary to enjoy the show.

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 06:49 PM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#140Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/9/17 at 7:31pm

Thanks HSky!

irishgator1
#141Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/9/17 at 7:36pm

I'm asking for my sister, who's considering going last minute with the Telecharge discount code.

The choices are (all at the discount price of $50):

1. Rear mezz, right section, Row F seats 1 (aisle) and 2.

2. Rear mezz left section, Row F seats 1 (aisle) and 2.

3. Rear mezz left center Row G seats 12 (aisle) and 11.

OR...do you think it's worth it to pay full price ($129) for Rear mezz center, Row C, seats basically right in the middle?

Thanks!

HSky
#142Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/9/17 at 10:47pm

OurMrsParker said: "I don't know if this has been directly answered, but if it has, please let me know.

I have banquette seats for the show in February - seats 2 and 4 in row BF - so end seats to the left. I've read that the banquettes are some of the best seats, but how much actor interaction do you have? Particularly with Josh Groban?"

The banquette seats with the most interaction are higher numbers in lower rows, especially what I think is B17 for a certain (non-Pierre) moment. But for being very close to Josh Groban, probably Upper Tavern table Q or P, or the Stage Left Sunken Tavern generally has the closest view - although part of that may be facing his back. Pierre doesn't quite directly interact the way some of the other characters do, though.

irishgator1 said: "I'm asking for my sister, who's considering going last minute with the Telecharge discount code."

My ranking would be 3 (slightly more central and a row won't make a huge difference), 1 (one seat will get a side table, which gives you a tiny bit more room, and the other gets the aisle), then 2.

I might pay for a front mezz seat but don't quite think the price jump from row C to F or G in rear mezz, even if center section, is worth the extra money. 

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 10:47 PM

VintageSnarker
#143Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/10/17 at 4:04pm

HSky said: "I sat up in the last row of rear mezz for the first time last week after having been onstage a few times and loved the view. I had to look around the lighting fixtures a little to see a performer when they were all the way upstage by the door, but otherwise, I could see everything that I think is necessary to enjoy the show."

Do you think I could avoid having to look around the lighting fixtures by sitting a few rows closer... or sitting to the left or right? Or is it not worth obsessing over? Also, where would you say there was the most audience interaction up in the rear mezzanine? 

Thank you!

HSky
#144Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/10/17 at 10:58pm

VintageSnarker said: "Do you think I could avoid having to look around the lighting fixtures by sitting a few rows closer... or sitting to the left or right? Or is it not worth obsessing over? Also, where would you say there was the most audience interaction up in the rear mezzanine? "

Maybe being 2-3 rows closer might help, but I wouldn't consider it something that would completely ruin your experience. With the mini comet lighting fixtures all over, I'm not sure if moving off-center would make much difference. I'd be more worried if I were in the last three rows dead center with the platform in front of me. Yeah, it puts a performer right in front of you at times, but I'd rather see them looking across the theater instead of having them in my direct sightline.

I was in the last row of Section 2 on the house right side for reference. There was no interaction in my area, but I think they were in and out of the first row or two.

Great Comet Seating Thread

Updated On: 1/10/17 at 10:58 PM

VintageSnarker
#145Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/11/17 at 12:56am

Thank you so much for replying @HSky. That helped a lot. :)

The Day Off
#146Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/11/17 at 6:57pm

Thought I'd chime in since I've seen the show three times from two different locations!

The first time I saw the show my friend and I sat in Front Mezz (Right Sec. 1) Row D 7-8. It was an amazing view and a really nice introduction to the show! We missed a small moment during "Natasha Lost" (We saw it in previews, so this number was still in the show at the time. Now that it's gone, I don't think you'd miss a thing!) Overall, a very fun seat which is located right next to a platform in the mezz which was used primarily during the opera, but often was the playing ground for some ensemble and Sonya fun! 

The next two times I've seen it, my friend and I sat in Left Orchestra Row B 11-13. My friend had a table next to her, and while the view was fine, it was significantly more obstructed than most. The staircase blocked me in seat 13 for some moments, but I was able to follow along the story well. There was not a lot of interaction near me either. However, I did get to see some nice entrances and exits from some characters that added some appreciation for this amazing cast! I was able to see the entire orchestra and had a blast!

I have rushed the show all three times and have been lucky! For the Mezz seat (it was in previews) I was third on line. So I either purchased the fifth and sixth ticket for the day, or the third and fourth. The next two times I was first on line so I bought the first pair. I was wondering maybe, if the seats are given out in an order of location? If you remember your place in line and your seat number please do share! 

Hope this helps some of you! It's an amazing show and the view truly is fine from anywhere. Enjoy!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#147Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/11/17 at 7:57pm

Warning for the Vertically Gifted:

The orchestra seats are TIGHT (I'm in N101 and my Mom N102).

If you are over 5'9 or are rather leggy, get yourself an aisle seat and apologize to the person in front of you before the show.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#148Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/11/17 at 9:45pm

Second to last row center mezzanine was fine.  I recommend not seating in the rear orchestra.

Stephanatic

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#149Great Comet Seating Thread
Posted: 1/12/17 at 11:45am

I'm 6'1" and was in the last row (center) of the Orchestra and was fine, although it helped that I had one of those little tables to one side of me so I could splay my legs that way.  And there was that winding stage right in front of us.

Videos