News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD- Page 13

THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#300THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:09pm

OlBlueEyes said: "The reaction of many television viewers to a moment like singing Happy Birthday to my Husband is "CLICK." I've had that same reaction myself twice.."

So the Tony producers should, what, tell winners that they'll cut off the microphone if they do or say anything too gay?

MattRVA Profile Photo
MattRVA
#301THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

OlBlueEyes said: "Happy Birthday to my Husband.

The Tonys get this wrong every year, The theater community, which all would admit has cultural and societal values still very different from the mainstream, seems to feel that, since it has mainstream America as its prisoner on this night, it can flaunt its differentvalues in the face of viewers.

The Broadway theater industry does not enjoy financial backing at a level sufficient to permit it to ignore the sensibilities of its Tony audience. The reaction of many television viewers to a moment like singing Happy Birthday to my Husband is "CLICK." I've had that same reaction myself twice.

As with practically all other businesses, especially considering the price of tickets, theater biz must court its customers even if it is the last that they feel like doing.
"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/support-same-sex-marriage-grows-sharply-u-s-survey-finds-n870586

The majority of Americans support gay marriage. You would be the one outside the mainstream. 

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#302THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

OlBlueEyes said: "Happy Birthday to my Husband.

The Tonys get this wrong every year, The theater community, which all would admit has cultural and societal values still very different from the mainstream, seems to feel that, since it has mainstream America as its prisoner on this night, it can flaunt its differentvalues in the face of viewers.

The Broadway theater industry does not enjoy financial backing at a level sufficient to permit it to ignore the sensibilities of its Tony audience. The reaction of many television viewers to a moment like singing Happy Birthday to my Husband is "CLICK." I've had that same reaction myself twice.

As with practically all other businesses, especially considering the price of tickets, theater biz must court its customers even if it is the last that they feel like doing.
"

Broadway is doing quite well without kowtowing to the close-minded. 

JBC3
#303THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:10pm

Theatre-goers who cannot handle someone thanking his husband should probably stay at home lest they accidentally come to a show that will more deeply challenge their delicate sensibilities. Updated On: 6/10/18 at 10:10 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#304THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:11pm

OMG, how dare OoTI perform! Alex Newell playing Mama Earth and showing interracial romantic relationships and showcasing black people? Won't the Tony producers think of mainstream America? 

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#305THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

Alex killed that. My favorite performance of the night. So much joy!

Updated On: 6/10/18 at 10:11 PM

Impossible2
#306THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

He's just pissed he didn't get to sing Happy Birthday to his husband on national television.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#307THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

This is literally the most kiss ass awards ever.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#309THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:12pm

BTW, Alex KILLED that performance! What a performance and what a production! Absolutely lovely in every way. 

Impossible2
#310THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:12pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "OMG, how dare OoTI perform! Alex Newell playing Mama Earth and showing interracial romantic relationships and showcasing black people? Won't the Tony producers think of mainstream America?"

Won't someone think of the children THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#311THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:13pm

Poor Jack Thorne. That was incredibly awkward.

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#312THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

I wish these message boards had a "like" button for posts, because I'd be using it quite a bit right now.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#313THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

That number from OOTI showed how a small show should do a number on the Tony Awards. It was brilliant!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#314THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

OOTI performance was great. Still not enough to save the show but lovely performance.

asoftplacetoland Profile Photo
asoftplacetoland
#315THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:14pm

Do y’all think that Once on this Island’s Tony performance will help it stay open longer?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#316THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:14pm

My updated grades of the performances so far:

Opening number: A+
Mean Girls: C
My Fair Lady: A+
Spongebob Squarepants: A
Josh/Sara’s second number: A+
Carousel: B-
Seasons of Love - Parkland: A
Frozen: B-
You Will Be Found (In Memoriam): A
Summer: B
Once on This Island: A+

passing strange
#317THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:15pm

I wanted Michael Arden to win so badly.  I thought he should've won for the Spring Awakening revival, honestly. Oh well..

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#318THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

How tacky not to let the author of the Best Play speak...

But the performance from Once On This Island truly showed what a party that show is. I hope that sells some tickets, especially since it will probably go home without any awards.

MattRVA Profile Photo
MattRVA
#319THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

poisonivy2 said: "OOTI performance was great. Still not enough to save the show but lovely performance."

Phenomenal performance. If I lived 200 miles closer to NY I’d buy tickets right now.

Eboyd514
#320THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

asoftplacetoland said: "Do y’all think that Once on this Island’s Tony performance will help it stay open longer? "

Oh man I hope so. That was my favorite performance of the night by far. 

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#321THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

^ sure hope so (though know it probably won’t). That performance was fantastic

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#322THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

OOTI gave easily the best performance on the telecast so car.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

jwsel
#323THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/10/18 at 10:16pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "ljay889 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "The Band’s Visit wins Best Original Score. Off the telecast."

Damn. David finally wins, and it's off the telecast.
"

What a bad year in musicals if they decide to reward Best Score off the main telecast. The only reason Best Book was on the main telecast was because CBS thought Tina Fey was going to win.
"

Isn't it typical for Best Score to be awarded during a commercial?  I know that happened when Fun Home won in 2015.

Boston Friend
#324THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

What is wrong with OOTI? They had to bring the goats to Radio City? That is disgraceful. 

DylanGable
#325THE OFFICIAL 2018 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

OlBlueEyes said: "since it has mainstream America as its prisoner on this night"

The Tony Awards have mainstream America as their prisoner on this night? Has Tony kidnapped mainstream America and chained it up in a basement dungeon with a dog named Precious?

I knew I should have stopped reading after that, because the rest was one of the dumbest things I've read tonight, and I've read a lot of dumb things.

Videos