#325NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/7/16 at 3:52pm

Oooohhh...thank you!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

hork Profile Photo
hork
#326NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/7/16 at 5:06pm

neonlightsxo said: ""Natasha is a naive, idiotic child and I kept waiting to see how they could possibly make her into a sympathetic protagonist, but they never did."

I hate to say it, but I think that's just Denee's portrayal. I saw Lauren Zakrin downtown and didn't feel that way at all, but I definitely agree that Denee plays Natasha that way.

It's also embedded in the text. Lines like, "But I love you, of that there is no doubt. How else could all of this have happened?" Or, "Yes, I love him, how else could I have his letter in my hand?" Not a big thinker, Natasha.

nohotmess
#327NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/10/16 at 6:33pm

Any discount code I can use at the box office?  I've been searching online but nothing coming up. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#328NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/10/16 at 10:59pm

I went on Wednesday night. Stupidly, I hadn't realized that I bought a ticket for the day after the election, so I certainly was in a pretty somber mood when I got to the theatre. I'm very glad I ended up going, because it was a beautiful night and the final moments felt particularly cathartic. I had more or less held myself together all day, but when those piano chords for Natasha and Pierre began, I lost it and bawled until the end of the show. On such a nasty day with so much hate flying around, it was so helpful to bask in a moment of stillness, kindness, and beauty. 

If Rachel Chavkin doesn't win a Tony for this, I'll be shocked. The way she's directed this show for a large theatre is masterful- the big energetic moments are excellent, of course, but just as good are the moments where the staging slows down and is all about simplicity. The last two songs are the perfect example of this- the staging is very sparse, but it's just right. Sam Pinkleton's choreography compliments her work very well. There's not much, but it all works- and the Balaga sequence is absolutely thrilling and totally delightful. 

The design work is also stunning. Mimi Lien is a McArthur Genius for a reason, and it certainly shows in the way she's completely transformed the Imperial. Bradley King's lighting design is equally gorgeous, and while some may have found the comet underwhelming, I though the simplicity made it all the more powerful. Paloma Young's costumes and Nicholas Pope's sound design are equally as well-done.

I was very surprised by Josh Groban- he sounds great, which I expected, but I thought he really tapped into Pierre's pathetic nature, which paid off emotionally by the show's end. I was slightly less taken with Denee Benton. Her portrayal of Natasha nails the innocence and foolishness, but I didn't quite get a sense of danger from her during her scenes with Anatole. Still, I liked her quite a bit, and No One Else was a definite highlight. The whole cast is worth mention, but I'll single out Lucas Steele, very effective (and very sexy...those pants) as Anatole, and Amber Gray, who makes a meal of Charming as Helene.

I get that this show might not be for everyone, but I thought it was a magical night with one of the best and most interesting scores to reach Broadway in the past decade. And after such an awful night for the country, it was really so great to be transported away for a few hours and have a perfect place to let everything out.  

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

wolfwriter2
#329NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/10/16 at 11:35pm

Saw this, last night as well, albeit, in a far better mood than 'wonderfulwizard11'...while I was not totally taken in by Denee Benton (good, but not great), this is my absolute favorite show this year.

I did not see it downtown, so I had no previous exposure to it. I also like plays far more than musicals, as a rule. But, this was exceptional on every level.

I won't rehash what everyone has said. I expected Josh Groban to sound great, but he really earned the ending and I thought his emotional connection to the character was outstanding, but so was the entire company. 

I can't imagine this is everyone's cup of tea and I was surprised that it did not get a standing ovation. About 1/3 of the audience stood when Mr. Groban came out, but otherwise, it seemed the response was more polite than rapturous. As for myself and my companion, we were rapturous and still discussing it today. I can't wait to see this talented company and wonderful show, again.

(we sat on stage, which was great and totally immersive. We would like to go back and see it from the traditional audience viewpoint to see how it differs)

jerzgrll
#330NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/12/16 at 5:55am

I have tickets for December 15, and Josh Groban will not be there.  Any idea what I can expect from his alternate?

broadwayguy91
#331NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/12/16 at 6:01am

jerzgrll said: "I have tickets for December 15, and Josh Groban will not be there.  Any idea what I can expect from his alternate?

Scott stangland is just as excellent

"

Updated On: 11/12/16 at 06:01 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#332NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/12/16 at 6:38am

He played the role in Boston, he's great.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

deltatee Profile Photo
deltatee
#333NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/12/16 at 9:46am

I saw this last Saturday and I thought it was fantastic. I agree that the staging is simple but works very well.  I also had great seats on stage by Pierre's study and definitely recommend these seats.  In that vein, I thought Denee was really beautiful as Natasha.  Also, one thing that really stood out to me was how great it sounded.  With so much activity all around the theatre, I was worried that it would sound disjointed and with some parts too hard to hear.  I didn't find this to be the case.  I thought it sounded great.  

matineeidol2591
#334NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/12/16 at 5:21pm

Caught this last night. 

The piece is staged fabulously.  so much originality.  the theatre looks truly sumptuous.  I echo what deltatee says- I was specifically wowed by the sound design.  lyrics were concise and harmonies were clear and tight. 

i thankfully saw natasha pierre in the tent a couple years ago and was bowled over by it.  i thought it was spectacular in every sense.  i was a bit disenchanted at last nights viewing.  the thinness of the plot was glaring, and although denee's performace was admirable, phillipa soo's was a force of nature off broadway.  

all of that being said, i still had an amazing time.  so curious to see how its received by the papers. 

dramamama611
#335NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/12/16 at 11:25pm

Just got out. Orchestra,  house R, row N on the inside aisle.

First, the theater is stunning. I even went up into the mezz....what a view! 

Saw this 2x in Boston, so any comparisons are to that version   I liked the music/lyric changes throughout. I don't think I missed anything from being in the orch v. the mezzanine, and certainly didn't feel left out.  I do feel the used the in house staging ingredients areas more at the ART, but everything going on is visible to all there.

The increased ensemble and sound were terrific.  I really enjoyed Groban as well. The costuming seemed tighter and more thoughtful, too.

My only quibble, I missed Lilly Cooper.  Helaine disappeared a bit to me.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#336NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/13/16 at 1:37am

Again just judging from the album and dim memories of the novel, I don't think Natasha necessarily has to be dumb per se; she could just be young, naive and hormonal. As the show says, little girls "lose their heads at once". She's probably been forever surrounded by people who would never outright discuss the possibility that a decent person might be attracted to more than one other person at a time. So not much chance of getting common-sense advice on what she's experiencing, or of being able to ask for such advice without harsh judgement. 'No One Else' is a lovely song, but parts of it (appropriately) do sound like teen poetry. (I mean, angels?) I wonder how reception of the character might change, if at all, if they cast an actual 16-17-year-old (or thereabouts) in the part. Not that the cast actors have been over the hill, but they haven't looked quite that young.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#337NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/13/16 at 11:27pm

I've been meaning to ask how the song "Sonya & Natasha" is in the show? It's my favorite song on the album and want to know if it's still performed greatly. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#338NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/13/16 at 11:49pm

It's still in. The only major changes (at least as I can tell from the album) is cutting Natasha Lost and some rewriting/additions during The Private and Intimate Life of the House, The Duel/Sunday Morning, Letters, and Balaga. And of course the addition of Dust and Ashes. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

dramamama611
#339NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 4:11am

^that seems about right

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#340NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 12:23pm

Does anyone know of any dates in January where Josh Groban isn't performing?

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#341NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 6:31pm

I can not wait to get a new recording of this. I adore the original and am just so excited to hear what they have changed. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#342NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 7:10pm

icecreambenjamin said: "Does anyone know of any dates in January where Josh Groban isn't performing?"

He has no scheduled absences for January.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#343NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 7:24pm

haterobics said: "icecreambenjamin said: "Does anyone know of any dates in January where Josh Groban isn't performing?"

He has no scheduled absences for January.

"

Thanks.

BearcatBroadwayLover Profile Photo
BearcatBroadwayLover
#344NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 8:59pm

Updated On: 11/15/16 at 08:59 PM

ILoveYouPatina Profile Photo
ILoveYouPatina
#345NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 9:58pm

Saw this last Sunday. I loved it. Denée Benton was great. I thought Josh was great and thought Pierre was a great role for him. I sat front row mezz and it was a great seat. Great view of the stage. My personal favorite part was Amber Gray, not only did she have one of the best songs in the show, her voice was like nothing else i have heard before, i wish she had more to do. Overall, great experience.

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#346NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 1:35pm

Has anyone tried the Rush this week? My friend is in town and she really wants to see this tomorrow night. I haven't rushed it since the first week of previews. Any reccomendations on when to get there?

"In here, life is beautiful"

Willie4316
#347NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 3:56pm

Early. I rushed first week of previews and got there by 7:30, was 15th in line. With good reviews and healthy ticket prices I would say get earlier than 7:30

Mediamaven2
#348NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 7:02pm

Checking out the digital lottery, and I see that it requires me to use a social network, which for me would be twitter as I don't do the others and it means  I must sign off with  permission for Social Toaster to do things  on my Twitter account like "update your profile" and "post tweets for you".

I am leery of this. I know other shows use this (but not Hamilton, and others), and I've then just scrapped entering their lotteries. But this one I want to see...am I totally paranoid in thinking twice before clicking on to giving Social Toaster power over my tweets?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#349NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 8:52pm

worst case scenario couldn't you just delete the tweets once they've been tweeted?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Videos