INTO THE WOODS Reviews

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#325INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/1/22 at 2:36pm

Agree, Sarah is the finest Baker's Wife since Joanna and with a similar irresistibility, finds her own everywoman charm through a sublimely simple comic eloquence.   

Of the near perfect Encores cast, I felt she most needed more time and that with it she would knock it out of the park.  Glad to report I was right. 

Updated On: 9/1/22 at 02:36 PM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#326INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 3:17pm

Happy Trails to Sara, Brian, Phillipa, Julia, and David!

This cast was truly (in my opinion), the best cast I have ever seen in a Broadway production! I hate to see them go, but we cannot always get what we wish for! Thankfully, we will have them preserved on a Cast Album! Who knows, if the show extends again into next year, they could come back? Not getting my hopes up, but you never know! I am just glad I got to see this cast and cannot wait to welcome the new cast members! I definitely need to see the show again with SJB!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#327INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 4:19pm

Caught this from like C11 (I think) for $69, which was sold as a partial view, near the narrator, but was totally perfect. Glad I got to see Sara, but too bad Pippa was out. Oh well... did that and standing room for Music Man, so pretty good day.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#328INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 4:44pm

I have no doubt the replacement cast is going to be wonderful.

but Julia Lester as Little Red is SEVERELY gonna be missed. She earns soooo many laughs. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#329INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 6:55pm

Timothy Davis
#330INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 7:21pm

I was there this evening and it was sublime. 

MemorableUserName
#331INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 7:22pm

Isn't Brian leaving too? Unless something's changed, I wonder why he didn't join the other four at the end of the curtain call.

BCfitasafiddle
#332INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 9:37pm

Delphi Borich, understudy in the cast, confirmed on her instagram story that Brian D'Arcy James will be back to the show. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#333INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 9:53pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Delphi Borich, understudy in the cast, confirmed on her instagram story that Brian D'Arcy James will be back to the show."

Glad more people will get to see him, but I hope Sebastian is okay and his delayed Baker debut isn’t for health reasons. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#334INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 9:55pm

I saw it more as BDJ would be back later in the fall if the extra extension rumors are true.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#335INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 10:49pm

I heard BDJ would be back when they extend the show again (apparently until the end of the year).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#336INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 11:01pm

Sebastian isn’t starting this week?

sng
#337INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/4/22 at 11:47pm

I just hope Sara is back to close the show (if it ever closes) to remind the voters for the next Tony. She deserves that award

MemorableUserName
#338INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/5/22 at 7:14am

Thank you for the information on BDJ. Glad to hear he'll be back. In a cast with so many standouts, he still managed to impress me. Thought he was wonderful.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#339INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/5/22 at 12:02pm

Yesterday’s performance was truly perfect (with the exception of the overly annoying ’woo-hooer’ seated behind me). The delivery of the the last lines of each’s big songs ("and now it’s time to leave the wood", "and I’ve learned something new, something I never knew, on the steps of the palace","just….  no more"INTO THE WOODS Reviews landed with such beauty and poignancy and left me in tears.

Sara and Julia were great, but I cannot say enough how BDJ and Phillipa Soo have made this production so memorable for me……. my definitive Baker and Cinderella, and believe me, I’ve seen many in these roles. 

Let the moment go
Don't forget it for a moment, though
Just remembering you've had an "and"
When you're back to "or"
Makes the "or" mean more
Than it did before

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 9/6/22 at 12:02 PM

Plexsis
#340INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/6/22 at 12:40pm

New cast starts tonight!  As of right now, the cast list is updated on official site, but the graphic still shows the original cast names above the title.

hopefully word of the cast recording release date comes soon!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#341INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:19pm

Was anyone there tonight?

Oh look, a bibu!

kurtal
#342INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 12:13am

I was there tonight (Mezzanine, Row K).  It's my fourth time seeing this production (City Center, the Sat Mat before opening, two weeks ago, and tonight).  Funnily enough, I've had four Bakers in four shows.

Scattered thoughts because I'm sleeeeeepy...

Prelude: ITW is one of my favorite shows.  Period.  So I go in knowing that I'm going to be moved every time.  That said, there were some highlights and some...other lights.

The good:

SJB is very good.  She belted the f.ck out of "It justifies the beans", and I gay gasped.  Her Moment in the Woods was excellent.  Some of her other moments still need to find their timing, but all of her instincts are right.

Krysta Rodriguez made some *wonderful* acting choices throughout.  Her "I know" after Little Red's "I Wish" in No One Is Alone was devastating.  Her vocals weren't as light or effortless as Philippa or Denee...but her acting more than made up for it.

Andy Karl's Prince was fantastic.  His Prince is sexier, swarthier, and hornier than Gavin's, and he found different laughs -- including an unexpected dick joke while seducing the Baker's Wife that made me guffaw.  His Wolf was just okay...

Sebastian's Baker was lovely.  Truth be told, none of the four Bakers have blown me away...they've all been perfectly fine.  Sebastian's No More was the strongest of the four...and I'll be very interested to hear how he's grown into the role over the next few weeks.  He was significantly stronger in Act Two.

Katy Geraghty was very good...but seemed a bit of a carbon copy of Julia Lester's take.  Which isn't a bad thing, because Julia was phenomenal.  But I didn't find any major surprises in her choices.

Other Miscellany...

They forgot the slipper during the stepsisters-trying-it-on scene...which made for a funny bit of banter until it was retrieved.

Kennedy Kanazawa continues to be outstanding.  

I like Cole Thompson's Jack more and more each time I see it.

And the rest...

There were a lot of sound cue issues...and some dropped/muffled lines.  Nothing major...these things happen...but it was distracting at times.

The show also felt a little less peppy than it has...maybe the tempo was down just a hair so the new cast members could settle in...maybe?  But it wasn't quite as vivacious as the other times I saw it.

I didn't care for Montego Glover.  She just seemed totally miscast and out of her depth.  

I still adore this production.  Most of my other quibbles are with the show itself (the timeline at the end of Act One is a hot mess) or with the production (I still hate the way they do the Witch's reveal and death scene).  But if you liked it before...or were worried about the new cast...get a ticket!

The mezzanine was only about 3/4 full...couldn't see Orchestra or Balcony, so idk about overall sales...but there's definitely going to be a significant post-Sara dip...which made me a little nervous about future extensions...but we'll see!

Plexsis
#343INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 8:45am

One final extension announced through January 8th, 2023 with more new casting announced soon

Nolan LuPone
#344INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 8:50am

kurtal said: "There were a lot of sound cue issues...and some dropped/muffled lines. Nothing major...these things happen...but it was distracting at times."

When I saw the show, David Patrick Kelly dropped a couple of his lines during the Prologue. He was great for the rest of the show, but he certainly had a little trouble with timing during the opening scene.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#345INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 9:05am

Plexsis said: "One final extension announced through January 8th, 2023 with more new casting announced soon"

Wonderful news!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

MemorableUserName
#346INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 10:28am

I'm actually kind of bummed. I was hoping they'd keep it going longer. Maybe unlikely due to "New York, New York," but anything can happen (hey, they moved TPL). But not this time.

Excited to see who the next cast will be.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#347INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 11:05am

Peter Marks shared the news on Twitter and put “final” in quotes. I know it’s hard to know now, but I’m holding out hope that this production has life past January.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#348INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 11:08am

There was never any intention to run this production indefinitely. If the demand was through the roof, I’m sure they’d find a way to keep it going, but the advance for the current cast is pretty low, so it’s smart of them to just extend through the holidays and go out with a bang if they cast it right.

Emmeline Carter
#349INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 11:13am

I've heard a bit of speculation about this maybe happening, but what do you think the chances are of Sara Bareilles coming back to close the show? Maybe some other members of the OBC cast as well. Thanks!

Videos