pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 16

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

JasonC3
#375Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:37am

Play Esq. said: "Stunning! You have to imagine the crew rips off that floor tarp to reveal a breath-stopping set change."

Not really.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#377Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 2:31am

Can someone post the song list please? I’m curious to get an idea of how much has changed structurally. Thank you.

JasonC3
#378Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 5:53am

Song list:

https://imgur.com/a/9iKN1qN

Updated On: 3/10/23 at 05:53 AM

Owen22
#379Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 5:55am

All I really care about (at this time) is if "Then You May Take Me to the Fair" is in the show. Please someone tell me so I know what to expect and not be disappointed if it is not.

JasonC3
#380Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 5:57am

Owen22 said: "All I really care about (at this time) is if "Then You May Take Me to the Fair" is in the show. Please someone tell me so I know what to expect and not be disappointed if it is not."

Thou shalt not be disappointed.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#381Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 8:43am

I love the new book!  I think Sorkin nailed it. 
The leads are glorious - and I was more taken by Andrew Burnap than I expected to be.  He captured my heart.  Phillipa Soo is superb and Jordan Donica is a dream.  Loved the chemistry between the leads - especially Arthur and Guenevere’s goodbye. 
The sets - and projection lighting - are just what they need to be and the costumes are beautifully created. 
it ran long last night - the pacing needs to be improved.  (And will be - they always get it right).  I also think the songs were conducted at a slower tempo than they should be - I hope they pick them up a bit.  But to hear that music with a lush 30-piece orchestra was glorious!

I was moved in all the places of the story that usually move me - and love when Tom is sent off to tell the story. So hopeful!

Bart did what Bart does beautifully (the best!) and the cast is fabulous.  I’m already looking forward to this cast recording. (Please, may it be!)

It was a joy to be there last night.  This show is so very special to me - I’ve long hoped for a LCT revival - and it filled my heart the way I knew it would.  I can’t wait to return.  

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 3/10/23 at 08:43 AM

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#382Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 8:50am

Ptero2 said: "It's long as hell! The show went over three hours, and the first act in particular kept going. I didn't mind because I was watching some crazy good performers, but I imagine it will drag for some unless there are some cuts during previews. A guy next to me left after the first act, and a few more left towards the end of the second act."

To quote Nathan Lane in Cubby Berstein:

"Do they say Fiddler is too Jewish? Do they say The Wiz is too Black? Do they say Camelot is too long? Actually, they do say Camelot is too long!"

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#383Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 8:54am

Just knowing “Take Me to the Fair” and “Fie on Goodness” are restored gives me life. Did they cut the reprise of “Camelot” in Scene 2? “Where rules a more resplendent king/ Than here in Camelot” is a favorite psssage of mine. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#384Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 8:56am

They will get it under three hours as they always do. It is a matter of overtime.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#385Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 9:02am

Bartlett Sher is a pro and one of the best in the business. All of his productions run long in early previews, but they are always down to proper time after a couple weeks of previews. So excited to read this is in good shape. I'm going in a few weeks.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#386Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 9:19am

Ptero2 said: "I also posted some pictures here, including the set before act one and during intermission, if anyone is curious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/11net2g/i_saw_the_first_preview_of_camelot/
"

Any reason for the sheet covering the flooring at the beginning? Do they do the orchestra reveal like they’ve done before? I just love that space and looks like a simple elegant production. 

The show was long to begin with and Sorkin’s stuff is usually  long too, so I’d imagine they’ll cut and pace, etc sounds like they’re in a good spot at least. 

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#387Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 9:30am

It’s meant to be snow - depicting outside.  There are snow projections - so it’s the snow covering the ground. 

They never “reveal” the orchestra - the stage is built over them.   

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#388Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 9:40am

The first preview of THE KING & I was almost 3 & 1/2 hours, so I have no doubt Sher and his team will get this down a little. But also…it’s CAMELOT. Not known for being a short piece.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#389Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 10:28am

Seems they’ve cut FOLLOW ME (more like Follow Me To Bedtime because that song’s a snooze), the Morgan Le Fay number, and the act 1 Jousts.

CATSNYrevival
#390Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 10:45am

Lancelot sings “I Loved You Once in Silence?”

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#392Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 11:22am

NYadgal said: "I’m already looking forward to this cast recording. (Please, may it be!)"

I have never seen a production of the show and am not aware of how much score there is aside from the original cast album, but I would love a complete recording of this, whatever "complete" means for Camelot. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#393Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 11:34am

CATSNYrevival said: "Lancelot sings “I Loved You Once in Silence?”"

Woah! Is this true?

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#394Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 11:40am

I'm not that happy that we won't hear Soo sing "I Loved You Once In Silence." One of my favorite songs, and I've always thought it completed her musical arc perfectly, especially following "Before I Gaze at You Again" in a similar place in the first act.

However, I adored King and I and My Fair Lady, so I don't doubt Sher has got some magic going on here.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

CATSNYrevival
#395Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 11:47am

Could have made it a duet.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#396Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:07pm

Anyone have any pictures of the merch? lincoln Center usually has some of the best merch on Broadway!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#397Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:09pm

jkcohen626 said: "Anyone have any pictures of the merch? lincoln Center usually has some of the best merch on Broadway!"

https://twitter.com/BrigidNYC/status/1633988425094144000?s=20

ren598
#398Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:29pm

Agree with everyone that said it was too long.  Drove down from Boston to see the first preview and it was totally worth it.  Wasn't expecting to have to drive back after 11 PM.  I haven't seen any other productions of Camelot besides the one-night benefit concert back in 2019 with Lin-Manuel Miranda, but I thought the 3 leads were phenomenal.  I think I'm going to see this one more time to see what changes they make after previews.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#399Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:48pm

Could be an interesting change to have Lance sing I Loved You. Guenevere’s two duets (that and Before I Gaze) are kind of same-y & slow.

What’s this new woke ending? And is it indeed the full original orchestration/arrangements, or have they modified some things? (I wouldn’t mind modifications)

Videos