pixeltracker

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'- Page 18

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#425 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 1:08am

JayElle said: "And I damn the fools who cut it too short."

Who is that, though? Oak was supposed to go through 9/3, then Mandy was supposed to go through 9/3, and now Dave is going through 9/3. Seems like the problem was not knowing what to do after 9/3...

broadwaygirl89
#426 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 2:34am

Hey there,

I was on vacation when I found out about closing and missed the ball with buying a ticket for the final performance (kicking myself for not checking the boards sooner for the news). I realize this may be a huge shot in the dark, but if anyone has or ends up having an extra ticket to the September 3 performance, I would love to buy it!

bear88
#427 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 3:35am

I got a reminder of why Great Comet wasn't a Broadway success Saturday when I saw the touring production of Something Rotten in San Francisco on Saturday night. I was sitting next to a woman in her 30s, a big Broadway fan, who had just been to New York to see shows and was heading back on Labor Day weekend to see Groundhog Day before it closes, and hopefully Dear Evan Hansen again. So she's talking about all the shows she's seen and loves, but mentions the one musical she hated: Comet. It was 'weird,' she said, just a bunch of people running around as far as she was concerned. 

I have read the comments of many people on this board who don't care for the show but haven't actually had a conversation with one of them. She didn't say she didn't like the score or the story, just that she found the experience off-putting even though she was impressed by the set design. It only reinforced my sense that the typical Broadway audience member expects certain rules to be followed at a musical and doesn't really like things that push the envelope too much. Interestingly, she was an early Hamilton skeptic who thought it sounded dumb and changed her mind only after seeing the show. (Hamilton, I believe, worked as well as it did because it followed most musical theater rules and then exploded from there.) 

It's one person, but it was interesting - if a bit depressing - to hear such of a dismissive view from someone a lot younger than me.

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 03:35 AM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#428 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:21am

HSky said: "poisonivy2 said: "Oh no. Should I get a telecharge exchange or should I just see it with Scott? Choices, choices ... And I have a perfect front row mezz seat too."

Tough call. I guess I depends on who you really want to see. I know you expressed some reservations about Dave Malloy's voice not being your style further upthread, but there's definitely something special about seeing the creator of the piece in his own work. However, Scott's my favorite Pierre.

No matter when you go, I'm pretty certain it'll be a blast. Wednesday was the first time I'd gone since the closing announcement and both my friend and I thought the cast was on fire and the audience was also into it more than usual. Add in reports of the wave and a sing along going on during a tech stop today and I think the energy is just going to be magical in that building over the next 2 weeks.

"

Well I just went to YT and heard some samples of Scott's singing and I'm convinced. He's got the type of voice I like in this role -- sort of a deep baritenor. So keeping my ticket, and, let's face it, probably going to buy another ticket to see Dave before the show closes.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#429 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 9:12am

I'll rank my opinion of the Pierres:

Stangland

Groban

Malloy  (although it's really close to Groban)

Oak (and I didn't dislike Oak, just liked him the least. His Dust and Ashes is beautiful.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

schubox
#430 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 10:00am

Itonlytakesajourney said: "Per Great Comet's Instagram live, the audio stopped working at the show today. Charming and The Ball went acoustic apparently. 

"

I was there, not quite. There were some auidio issues in act 1, but they were covered by piano. Then in act 2 the audio totally cut out during In My House. It started fine, but about 10 seconds in all the mics stopped working. The actors kept going, the Mocs came back for about 5 seconds, and then sent out again. Then they came over the loud speaker and cleared the stage. Huge applause.

It was a long break, probably 15-20 minutes. Crowd was in great spirits. The band in the salon started the wave. Eventually they came back out and finished. Crowd was very supportive. They cut curtain calls short too.

As mentioned, Ben Stiller was there, he was a couple banquets ahead of me. Very nice guy, he was very in to it. One of the cast members told me Ben had been several times and was very supportive. Heard Stiller tell someone it was his 4th and his daughter's 8th.

And as a random aside, the girl in the "Russian custom" seat held out a water bottle for Lucas. He almost broke, but opened it and took a huge swig. It was fantastic 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#431 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:12pm

schubox said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "Per Great Comet's Instagram live, the audio stopped working at the show today. Charming and The Ball went acoustic apparently. 

"

I was there, not quite. There were some auidio issues in act 1, but they were covered by piano. Then in act 2 the audio totally cut out during In My House. It started fine, but about 10 seconds in all the mics stopped working. The actors kept going, the Mocs came back for about 5 seconds, and then sent out again. Then they came over the loud speaker and cleared the stage. Huge applause.

It was a long break, probably 15-20 minutes. Crowd was in great spirits. The band in the salon started the wave. Eventually they came back out and finished. Crowd was very supportive. They cut curtain calls short too.

As mentioned, Ben Stiller was there, he was a couple banquets ahead of me. Very nice guy, he was very in to it. One of the cast members told me Ben had been several times and was very supportive. Heard Stiller tell someone it was his 4th and his daughter's 8th.

And as a random aside, the girl in the "Russian custom" seat held out a water bottle for Lucas. He almost broke, but opened it and took a huge swig. It was fantastic 

What an electric crowd! I would've loved to be at the show yesterday, it sounded like a really involved (more than usual) performance. On Great Comet's Instagram, some ensemble members sneaked a video of the piano I think, and then mentioned In My House's audio issues. They also got a video of the wave. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#432 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 2:24pm

I wonder why they didn't ask Ben Stiller to be in the show. He seems to be a fan of the show, or at least his daughter is.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#433 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 2:27pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I wonder why they didn't ask Ben Stiller to be in the show."

...as who?

HSky
#434 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 2:32pm

dramamama611 said: "I'll rank my opinion of the Pierres:

Stangland

Groban

Malloy  (although it's really close to Groban)

Oak (and I didn't dislike Oak, just liked him the least. His Dust and Ashes is beautiful.) 
"

I didn't see Oak but my ranking of the Pierres I've seen would be identical.

In response to the question upthread, Lauren Zakrin just edges out Denee Benton as my favorite Natasha (Although Denee's "Natasha and Pierre" is my favorite!) although Shoba Narayan was fantastic, as well. I don't know what the correct musical vocabulary would be but there's something clearer about Zakrin's voice to my ear (and it's interesting because I found the same to be true about Narayan' s voice - a friend and I were seated apart on Wednesday and we were comparing thoughts after the show, and he made the same observation unprompted) and I feel her portrayal is slightly more grounded and less fairy tale romantic.

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 02:32 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#435 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 2:34pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Call_me_jorge said: "I wonder why they didn't ask Ben Stiller to be in the show."

...as who?

"

I've never heard him sing, but I wouldn't mind him as pierre

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#436 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 2:49pm

hmph said: "I've seen the show twice with Grobes and Denée and loved it, but I saw the show again Saturday night and Scott and Lauren Zakrin really took it to another level. I found myself wholly invested in a way I hadn't been before, even though I knew the story inside and out from listening to the off Broadway album hundreds of times. Lucas, Amber, Brittain, Grace, et al, were amazing as usual, but Scott and Lauren Zakrin's performances were really poignant and affecting in a way that I hadn't seen before. Super bummed I'll never be able to see them as Pierre and Natasha again. 

I see a lot of fans of Scott, but anyone else like Lauren Zakrin's Natasha best? Or anyone have any thoughts on Shoba's Natasha, which I haven't been able to see, or any other notable understudy?
"

I was there on Saturday night too. I have absolutely nothing to compare them to but I thought that Scott and Lauren's performances were beautiful. Thank you to whomever it was that posted that Lauren was going to be on that night.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#437 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 3:22pm

I too preferred Lauren after seeing both she and Denee.  Something about her voice was more expressive to me, brighter levels in tone and clarity.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#438 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 5:16pm

I never saw Lauren but have seen Denee twice and think the one factor that sort of limits her interpretation of Natasha is that she chooses to make Natasha extremely naive and even irritating. It's one way to play the character but I think there's room for a Natasha who is more romantic and dreamy, rather than just purely naive. After all she's based heavily on Sofia Tolstoy, who was an extremely intelligent woman with a wide variety of interests. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#439 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:12pm

poisonivy2 said: "she chooses to make Natasha extremely naive and even irritating. It's one way to play the character but I think there's room for a Natasha who is more romantic and dreamy, rather than just purely naive."

If she wanted to do that, she could have. She didn't.

Btb1993 Profile Photo
Btb1993
#440 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 11:43am

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "I too preferred Lauren after seeing both she and Denee.  Something about her voice was more expressive to me, brighter levels in tone and clarity.

I was there on Saturday night also and completely agree. Denee is great, but there was something about Lauren's take of the role that it was hard to keep your eyes off of her. If for some reason she announces she is going on again for Natasha before the show closes, I suggest buying a ticket immediately! I could watch Lauren in that role ten times over she is spectacular. And also an absolute sweetheart at the stage door. Can't say enough great things about her performance.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#441 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 3:01pm

Handful of tickets released for the last show on Telecharge today. Hurry.

@z5
#442 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 3:05pm

Yeah there are quite a few now...all at $190 each 

VintageSnarker
#443 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 4:37pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Call_me_jorge said: "I wonder why they didn't ask Ben Stiller to be in the show."

...as who?

Balaga. (jk)

Also, Denee's naivete (bordering on irritating) is what makes her portrayal work the best for me. Not having seen Phillipa, of the three Broadway Natashas, her "No One Else" is my favorite. And I think her choices make Natasha's choices (at the opera, and the way she reacts to Marya towards the end) make the most sense. Her choices feel the truest to the character as written, at least for me. 

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#444 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 9:59pm

We ended up springing for those $190 tickets that got released today.  I've never been to a closing night before, but I imagine the energy will be quite something.

The show is supposed to run 2.5 hours, but will closing night run longer?  Will there be speeches or anything at the end?  I imagine lots of curtain calls.

(Great Comet's last show is at 3, and we have 7:30 Groundhog Day tickets - I imagine that we'll have to do sandwiches for dinner, but will be able to get from the Imperial to the August Wilson in time)

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#445 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 10:34pm

I decided to make a quick trip over Labor Day weekend to see the show (at least) once more. I've already bought front center mezz tickets for the Saturday matinee, but I will surely be taking advantage of any lottery/rush/TKTS opportunities available for Friday and Saturday evening as well. I would have just bought tickets for Friday since the seating chart is a lot more open, but I'm flying in that morning from LA and don't want to chance missing it because of a delayed flight.  

I only saw the show for the first time in July (with Dave as Pierre) but I fell for it hard and have been listening to the OBCR nonstop since. It's so disappointing that this is likely the last we'll be seeing of it for quite some time; I would take a show like this over a more traditional show any day. 

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#446 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 10:43pm

Not Pierre, but Kennedy was in for Helene tonight- apparently for the first time. She did fine- no one can match Amber IMO. 

willep
#447 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 10:44pm

I have been checking each day in hopes of finding a ticket, checked this morning before they went up. Glad I checked this thread this evening, as I think I nabbed the last one! Not a great seat, but I am super excited to be there for closing. I fell in love with the show at Kazino, was at the first preview, have been back a couple times since (and am in the cast recording! Ha). I've never seen a show this many times and am sad to see it go.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#448 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 10:51pm

I went tonight. Scott was indeed amazing -- I think he's about equal to Josh. Maybe not in terms of pure voice, but he really inhabited the part. I thought Amber Gray's understudy was fine but not at the Scott caliber in terms of standbys.

The energy of the ensemble and cast was BEYOND tonight. I was sitting in the front center mezzanine and I'm convinced that's the absolute best place to sit in the house. Perfect view of almost everything. Balaga of course brought down the house. Denee Benton was also on fire tonight. I find her soprano sometimes weak and thin but not tonight. I did see her swig some water discreetly in some hidden water bottles on that huge set. 

One thing I've noticed: almost everyone in the cast and ensemble have gotten almost frighteningly thin. I guess this show demands so much energy and stamina that it was inevitable, but there are a couple cast members who look like they really, really need a huge T-bone steak and onion rings.

I haven't decided if I'll go back and see Dave Malloy and thus see all four Pierres. Oh who am I kidding. I probably (in other words definitely) will.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#449 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/22/17 at 10:58pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "Not Pierre, but Kennedy was in for Helene tonight- apparently for the first time. She did fine- no one can match Amber IMO. 

"

Oh, wow. That's big for her, as Lulu has been the primary cover for Amber...but Lulu is out town right now. 

Videos