INTO THE WOODS Reviews

ashley0139
#425INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/22/22 at 9:01pm

Has anyone sat in the rear-ish orchestra center for this show and are they okay seats? Around row N? Is that area of the theatre fairly raked or more flat? I'm mostly worried about tall people in front of us. At the Jacobs, the seats start to rake more around row J which makes rear orchestra better sometimes. Wondering if the St. James is similar.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#426INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/22/22 at 11:44pm

Just saw the show on Tuesday from Left Orch row O aisle seat 1 and I thought it was a good view. The large person in front of me did not block my view since the aisle is slightly curved and allows for an unobstructed view.  I'd suggest piggy-back N & O1.  

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#427INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/23/22 at 6:32am

ashley0139 said: "Has anyone sat in the rear-ish orchestra center for this show and are they okay seats? Around row N? Is that area of the theatre fairly raked or more flat? I'm mostly worried about tall people in front of us. At the Jacobs, the seats start to rake more around row J which makes rear orchestra better sometimes. Wondering if the St. James is similar."

I got a row N centre orchestra seat for the Matinee on Wednesday (From TKTS, $74!!), and the view was great. The seats were well off-set from the row in-front. However, if you are short, you may have a bit of obstruction from heads two rows infront.

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#428INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/23/22 at 9:45am

You know, I gave it deep thought, and Stephanie J. Block and Sebastian Arcelus are my favorite Baker's Wife and Baker. They gave the most emotional performances of their characters I ever saw.

Updated On: 9/23/22 at 09:45 AM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#429INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/23/22 at 3:29pm

For those interested, Heather Headley's show at Carnegie has a bunch of tickets newly available (previously all but sold-out except for balcony), just picked up two very good seats.  If you miss out on the current availability, keep checking back on the website: donated  seats come up all the time.  

Updated On: 9/23/22 at 03:29 PM

Rakesh Natarajan
#430INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/27/22 at 6:47pm

Does anyone know why there aren't any balcony seats available for this week's performances? I checked on Seatgeek and for some reason, the only available seats from 9/27 to 10/2 are in the mezzanine and orchestra. The balcony is once again available starting from 10/3. Are all of the balcony seats just sold out or did the show decide to close off the balcony for the week? I know other shows have closed off that balcony in the past, but it seems odd if they're just doing it for this week. 

BCfitasafiddle
#431INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 11:16am

New montage... not liking Montego at all sad to say. Stephanie and Sebastian seem great. Krysta is definitely a different approach, but it's cute.

Observation
#432INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 11:47am

I don't have a musician's ear, but do these tempos seem slow? 

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#433INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 12:15pm

After seeing clips of the new Block cast very thankful to have seen Bareilles, Soo & Headley in these productions. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#434INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 12:43pm

Oh dear

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#435INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 1:01pm

TaffyDavenport
#436INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 1:02pm

TaffyDavenport
#437INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 1:04pm

TaffyDavenport
#438INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 1:44pm

Updated On: 9/28/22 at 01:44 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#439INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 3:47pm

Block is my favorite Baker’s Wife by far. Patina Miller, who I had my doubts with, brought comedy I didn’t know was possible with the witch. Rodriguez also brought comedy to Cinderella, which I felt Soo lacked. 

JasonC3
#440INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 3:54pm

Well I wouldn't pay $200-300 for what I'm seeing here.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#441INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 6:38pm

I kind of like the way Stephanie sings “justify the beans” in that clip. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it not sung in head voice.

mynectarines
#442INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/29/22 at 3:00pm

I LOVED SJB and Sebastian on stage but I have to say these videos don't really capture their chemistry, for some strange reason. 

BCfitasafiddle
#443INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/30/22 at 5:35pm

Anyone wining the lotto lately? Curious if it's relatively easy to win these days?

JasonC3
#444INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/30/22 at 7:31pm

Block and Arcelus are the New York Mag Grub Street Diet log this week.

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#445INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/30/22 at 11:22pm

Allow me to share my personal Baker's Wife ranking:

1) Joanna Gleason

2) Amy Adams

3) Step. J. Block

4) Sara Bareilles 

5) Sutton Foster

6) Imelda Staunton

7) Kerry O'Malley

8) Literally anyone else who's played her

9) Emily Blunt

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#446INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/30/22 at 11:25pm

Kerry O’Malley belts the end of Maybe They’re Magic, so Stephanie‘s not the first. Is it me or does she sound a little raw in those new clips?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#447INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 10/1/22 at 6:44am

Watching the Montego Glover clip my first reaction was that she seems far, far too young to play this role. But then I looked up her date of birth and it turns out she is much, much older than I realised and one of the oldest witches. Gurl looks quite good for her age haha. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#448INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 10/2/22 at 3:54am

TheQuibbler said: "Kerry O’Malley belts the end of Maybe They’re Magic, so Stephanie‘s not the first. Is it me or does she sound a little raw in those new clips?"

That's how I felt Stephanie was, too. Raw. It made her seem like an older, kind of exasperated, and most importantly, more emotional middle-aged woman trying to get a baby and have a happy marriage or some fun in her life...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#449INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 10/3/22 at 9:07am

Odd scheduling this week, but they have a show tonight and are dark tomorrow.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Videos