pixeltracker

Sardi's caricatures are soulless- Page 2

Sardi's caricatures are soulless

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#25Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:26pm

"It's like every bit of their faces have been airbrushed and botoxed. "
I looked up Will and Gavin after the mention and yes, very dissappointing.

"This is one of the many reasons I will not eat at Sardi's. Never have, never will."

I didn't make it there the last trip but I have always wanted to go. More for the history of the place. I watched an amazing biography on the history of Sardi's.

"it's a dirty little war"

louisamayfoster Profile Photo
louisamayfoster
#26Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:28pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is really surprised at how bad they are. The coloring especially lacks class, or timeless appeal like a welldrawn b/w would have.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#27Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:01pm

I'm not saying my drawings are amazing, amazing (thank you to an above poster tho) but I have to say that recent caricatures from Sardi's are pretty bad... don't resemble the actor him/herself or just don't have that essence to them...

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#28Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:11pm

They piss me off. Mostly because I'm an illustrator and my specialty is caricatures. When I see a new Sardi I want to cry.

On the other hand, when I see a new Tony Di Napoli's caricature, I cream my pants.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#29Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:14pm

My dad is a retired illustrator. He never specialized in caricatures, but I've seen him do better ones in 10 minutes than however long it takes the Sardi's people to.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#30Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:20pm

I doubt if it takes very long to do a Sardi's caricature. How long could it take to tear a page out of a coloring book?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#31Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:21pm

I'm both a graphic artist and a caricaturist, and I must say i am appalled by the current "caricatures". Its clear to me that over the years the management is FAR too concerned with not offending the subjects of the drawings. I love that they even get simple details wrong (They gave Constantine Maroulis a full mustache) This is inexcusable, especially considering 2 of the top art schools on the planet are located in NYC.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#32Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:29pm

This is really horrible.. I love what he writes on it "Thanks for this great honor." I would never want my face on that wall.
Constantine's HORRIBLE caricature

wickedpoppinsfan
#33Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:52pm

"This is one of the many reasons I will not eat at Sardi's. Never have, never will. I don't wanna be surrounded by pictures kids in pre-school could do. And the pictures scare me"

A little overdramatic over there.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#34Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 4/9/10 at 9:30am

If they don't want to offend the actors, then have a real artist make realistic portraits and don't even call them caricatures. But what they have on their walls now looks like a primary school display.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#35Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 5/7/10 at 2:58pm

Holy smokes, Dr. Jones! That one of Constantine really IS horrible. Looks NOTHING like him whatsoever.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#36Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 5/7/10 at 3:32pm

Agree Brody. It's like Constantine himself was airbrushed before his picture was drawn.

chellie
#37Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/11/10 at 12:43pm

Kevin Chamberlin's looks like an Easter egg.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#38Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/11/10 at 12:53pm

Ok, look at Chamberlain's wonderful face. Then look over at the caricature.

Then ask yourself "WTF?"

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#39Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/11/10 at 1:07pm

The problem of those drawings in my opinion is that the person's eyes in the drawing are not even close to those of the person. And yes, people in the drawings look like they have heavy facial treatment.

AEA AGMA SM
#40Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/11/10 at 1:09pm

Even more WTF when looking at some of the classics behind the new ones. You have Liza in the background of the Constantine shots with these hugely exaggerated features, and then his, which looks like something you would see a teenage fan girl handing him at the stage door. The same with the bit of Lucy that you can see behind Kevin Chamberlain's.

Though, for a bit of history, I loved the scene in The Muppets Take Manhattan where Kermit has replaced Liza's caricature with his own, only for Liza to walk in and see that she has seemingly been removed from the wall.

chellie
#41Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/11/10 at 1:32pm

^ Agreed. And the funniest part about the photo coverage is that it also included shots of some of the other caricatures of Addams Family cast members who had theirs done previously, like Terrence Mann's:

Which is delightfully exaggerated (as caricatures SHOULD be) but I knew who it was immediately upon seeing it.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#42Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/11/10 at 3:07pm

The new ones are very PC, almost as though they are afraid they will offend. Was there a case where someone important had one and was offended?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

After Eight
#43Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/11/10 at 11:12pm

It's true the recent drawings leave something to be desired, but the old ones are good, and worth seeing. I would say if you can afford it, (because it is an expensive restuarant), it's worth eating there at least once, because it plays such a prominent part of Broadway lore. And if you can't afford it, I would recommend having a drink at the bar upstairs, where the prices are quite reasonable, and you can get to see the caricatures on the walls.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#44Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/12/10 at 3:27am

Real life caricature

(Note, I am neither Alice Ripley nor the fan).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/12/10 at 03:27 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#45Sardi's caricatures are soulless
Posted: 6/12/10 at 5:28am

Kevin Chamberlin's face was MADE for caricature. This is getting obscene.

Videos