philly03
#27Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 12:51pm

Phantom of the Opera OCR!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#28Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 1:01pm

Given to me: MY FAIR LADY....on 8-Track!!

Bought: Probably INTO THE WOODS.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#29Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 1:05pm

Beauty and the Beast.

:]

rmusic11322
#30Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 1:07pm

Beauty And The Beast

broadwayjim42
#31Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 1:10pm

I was a late bloomer (in so many ways) and my parents probably had a few, but I think my first actual cast album was, believe it or not, "The Real Thing." I believe Nonesuch Records put it out.

As for musicals, I always took them out of the library. The first one I actually bought was "Leader of the Pack." I'd bought the "Chess" concept album earlier that but not sure if it counts.

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#32Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 1:17pm

Hello Dolly! ...and so it began. :)

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

Mattbrain
#33Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 1:38pm

Beauty and the Beast...on cassette!!!!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#34Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 2:32pm

The Phantom of the Opera which started my Broadway obssession. I actually was scared to death when I first heard it. I used to cover my ears as soon as that creepy organ started.

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#35Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 2:46pm

Mamma Mia (london cast recording)

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#36Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 2:50pm

OBC The Sound of Music. I was 7 and I bought it with birthday money from my Godmother.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#37Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 2:53pm

Sweeney Todd OBC when I was about 11

coryografer Profile Photo
coryografer
#38Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 3:33pm

My first OBC "record album" was My Fair Lady. I'm certain my parents wished that the album would wear out. I couldn't hear it enough.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#39Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 3:42pm

Probably Jesus Christ Superstar or Evita OLC.

colleen_lee
#40Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 3:45pm

The Phantom of the Opera was both the first cast recording I heard and the first cast recording I owned.

When I was 7 my family moved from California to Minnesota. Our new next door neighbor became my best friend. Her mom had a cassette of Phantom stashed away in their basement. He found it one day and became OBSESSED. We must have listened to the tapes and acted out all of the parts at least a hundred times.

For my 9th birthday I received a CD player. The Phantom OCR was the first CD I bought with my allowance money.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Updated On: 7/23/10 at 03:45 PM

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#41Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 3:45pm

We had the Grease movie soundtrack on 8-track that we listened to on vacation when I was 12. Many years later, my straight roommate in college introduced ME to the Cats cast recording (got me through organic chemistry) and his cast recording of Les Mis got me through my first year in grad school. Ironic that the straight guy introduced the gay guy to Cats and Les Mis!

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#42Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 3:48pm

My parents listened to many cast recordings when I was a kid, especially Oliver!, Carousel, The Music Man, and Fiddler On The Roof. There were others; all smash hits. But, my dad also listened to Pippin and Leonard Bernstein's Mass in the privacy of his basement office and I could hear it from the first floor sometimes. He also had Fiddler on 8-track.

The first ones that were really "mine" were cassettes shared with my mom and sister: Les Miz, Phantom of the Opera, and Miss Saigon. We listened to them in the car all the time.

My sister listened to Anything Goes, Show Boat, and several others that didn't grab me as a kid. What did grab me, oddly, was the movie of The Boy Friend that I saw (on laserdisc) when I babysat over one summer. My mother purchased the OBCR of The Boy Friend for me, and that was the first cast album that was entirely my own.

I saw Into The Woods on PBS. Waited forever to buy the cast recording, in fact I almost bought the London cast on cassette when my family was in Cleveland on a holiday. I realized what it was and waited, bought it on cassette later at a Coconuts.

But, I feel the cast recording that really put me on the path towards collecting cast recordings was the original CD reissue of Company my sophomore year of high school. I was completely fascinated by the first few seconds of the recording and the lack of an overture. "Another Hundred People" got put on repeat for days.

Tahw saw ruoy tsrif geltoob? Einm saw Eirrac.

With Irma you gotta do something!

WOSQ
#43Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 4:27pm

Even though my parents had several of the classic shows (including Oklahoma and Porgy and Bess on 78s!), the first album that was mine was Carnival given to me on my 11th birthday.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#44Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 4:43pm

I grew up with tons of cast recordings in the house (mostly LP). I think the first one I actually bought may have been a cassette of the Evita concept album, but I'm not sure.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#45Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 5:42pm

I grew up on my parents' LPs of Fiddler and Hair, but the first one I owned was Les Miserables Original London Cast.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#46Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 9:55pm

Deet, mine was THE SOUND OF MUSIC, too! This was waaay before I was into musical theater, which didn't occur until I was in my late teens. My first love was film so movie musicals (especially Rodgers & Hammerstein) were my thing, and TSOM was one of my fave movies as a kid. I'd asked for the soundtrack for my birthday one year, but someone mistakenly got me the OBCR. I ended up liking it all the same, but my two favorite tracks were "The Laendler" (which is not featured on the soundtrack) and the extended "Wedding Processional."

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:34pm

I indefinitely borrowed my grandmother's copy of Phantom of the Opera when I was like 9 or 10, but I think the first cast recording I actually went out and bought myself was Little Shop of Horrors when I was 12.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#48Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:50pm

A Chorus Line
and
They're Playing Our Song

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

BellatrixxLestrangee Profile Photo
BellatrixxLestrangee
#49Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 11:43pm

My dad used to always play the Pippin soundtrack during dinner. We have a bunch of home videos of my sisters and me dancing to "War is a Science". I just recently re-discovered the CD. It was such a blast from the past!

You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for? -BP.

Videos