pixeltracker

Your first cast recording was...

Your first cast recording was...

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#1Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 7:59am

"A Chorus Line" OBCR. Bought it on vinyl probably when I was a freshman in high school after a friend told me about it. That's where it all began.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."
Updated On: 7/23/10 at 07:59 AM

sunshels Profile Photo
sunshels
#2Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 8:05am

I remember two cast recordings, so not sure which came first. A Chorus Line and Hair. I was probably around 7 when I first heard them. I remember A Chorus Line I picked out myself from the little Columbia House Record brochure LOL!! Hair I think, belonged to my parents.

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#2Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 8:49am

Into the Woods and Phantom of the Opera on the same day.

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#3Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 8:52am

Cats and Grease when I was 4 years old.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#4Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 8:56am

Phantom of the Opera at age 3. I loved to try to sing Christine's high notes at the end of the title track.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#5Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 9:08am

Beauty and the Beast

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#6Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 9:17am

Godspell OCR

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#7Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 9:19am

I listened to all the crs my parents listened to, but the one I remember the most was Guys and Dolls '92. I know there were many others before it, but that was the first one I could sing along with the entire cassette.

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#8Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 9:39am

I distinctly remember 'passively' listening to Les Miserables OLCR as well as the Kiss Me, Kate Motion Picture soundtrack

However, when I began to 'actively' listen, it was Les Miserables and the '92 Guys and Dolls Revival, and then somewhere along the line My Fair Lady OLCR, as they were what was lying around. The first tow I remember buying myself were the original Cabaret and Chorus Line recordings. How about that for variety.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 9:50am

Purlie - OBCR

Just give the world Love.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 9:54am

I grew up on my parents cast recordings, but the first recording I got of my own was INTO THE WOODS after watching the PBS airing about a hundred times. I still credit the airing of that show to my love of the theater today as so many people my age do.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#11Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 9:57am

"The Wiz."

I was a "Wizard of Oz" fanatic, and I came across the album when I was nine or ten. I remember my mother saying "I'm not sure you'll like it; you know it's not just like the original."

But I loved it. I think I wore out three or four copies.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:05am

The first one I remember was indeed one of my parents albums:
Two by Two starring Danny Kaye. I must have been 6 and could act out each and every part.

Maybe THAT should be revived. (I've never seen it produced.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#13Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:05am

My introduction to Sondheim was an interesting one. I'd seen the PBS recording of Into The Woods and loved the first act, but I had hated Sunday In The Park With George. I had also heard excerpts from Company, but had never fully realised they were the same composer. A couple of years later,and my sister was given the DVD of Company, and of course I enjoyed it more than her, and to cut a long story short I now have a recording of pretty much all his shows.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#14Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:16am

West Side Story - Original Broadway Cast Recording

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#15Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:52am

I think it was the Original Broadway Cast recording of Annie.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

husk_charmer
#16Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:53am

My first was probably the OBC of Grease on cassette tape. The first one I bought, and what I call my gateway drug, A Chorus Line. I was 15.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#17Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:56am

Sweeney Todd when I was 7. I fell in love with Sondheim after that

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#18Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 11:00am

Although it technically belonged to my parents, I discovered my first cast recording (an album), among my parents' record collection - the OBC of"Man of La Mancha." I must have been around 8 or 9, having no clue about musicals or Broadway. The music and story captivated me. And Richard Kiley's voice....wow.

Now, the first recording I purchased was the OBC of "Once Upon a Mattress" as I was auditioning for a summer recreation production back in 1977. I was 12. Back then, recordings of older shows were not easy to find (remember, no CDs or iTunes yet), so I called every record store in the city of Philadelphia and suburbs. Found it, and made my father drive me to center city to get it. To this day, I love that show.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#19Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 11:19am

The first cast album that I purchased was Annie. I took the bus to our downtown shopping district the day after my parents took me to see the show.

I think the first cast recording I ever listened to was Gypsy with Ethel Merman. I remember checking it out of the library when I was about 8.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

TheKandyLife Profile Photo
TheKandyLife
#20Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 11:19am

the first whole cast album i heard was Wicked, but, not in the right order, and didnt really know the story, just like the power and the fun of the music, especially Kristins cute voice haha now it is one of my top favourite albums

but my first cast album i bought was Legally Blonde, i seen the MTV broadcast and thought there must be an album available...lo and behold! haha

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#21Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 11:41am

"Hair" was probably my first non-soundtrack album. Oddly enough, I came to it after seeing the movie but for some reason decided to buy the OCR instead. I was in high school and remember falling hard for that photo of James Rado in the liner notes. (The one that had James Rado, Gerome Ragni, and Galt MacDermot in it.)
Updated On: 7/23/10 at 11:41 AM

blacktie
#22Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 11:42am

I think it was the OBC recording of "Dreamgirls."

philcrosby
#23Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 12:03pm

First one I owned, or first I heard ...?

First I heard had to have been Sound of Music.

First I owned (my own self) I think "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#24Your first cast recording was...
Posted: 7/23/10 at 12:20pm

My Fair Lady. I was seven?

Videos