pixeltracker

annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison- Page 2

annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 8:17pm

This is what happens when one goes to a show just to see a performer instead of seeing a show said performer happens to be in. That's Broadway.**** happens

Poster Emeritus

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#26annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 8:19pm

Well, at least you're venting about it here rather than harassing him directly via twitter.

Everyone has to remember that actors are humans, too, and fallible just like anyone else. Nothing wrong with being disappointed of course.  No live performance is ever guaranteed.

Does FN have refund policies for any of its stars?

Gothampc
#27annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 8:24pm

"After a year without a day off, my voice finally decided it needed a break"

Someone needs to call Equity if he hasn't had a day off in a year.

The more important question is why is his voice giving out?  Is the score difficult to sing?  Perhaps he should take a note from Evita and Miss Saigon and skip matinees.

OR, is he just not taking care of his instrument?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#28annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 8:33pm

Matt Morrison was completely plain in FN. The show was nothing special IMO. I was actually really disappointed. 

You really didn't miss much. How was Kevn Kern?

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#29annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 9:22pm

Perhaps the OP would feel better to know that according to another tweet from Morrison last night, his own father came to town to see him and he still couldn't go. Clearly his voice wasn't in shape to go.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Secondstarontheright
#30annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 9:42pm

Kevin Kern posted on his facebook that he would be on for Matthew very late on Friday night.  It wasn't a planned absence.  Matthew realized after the Friday show that his voice needed a rest and he couldn't handle two shows.  Kevin only received notice he was going on Saturday night as well at around 6:30 that night.

I've heard from a number of people who went that Kevin was actually better than Matthew.  If you've ever seen him perform or seen the show, you know that Kevin's voice is ideal for the score in "Finding Neverland."

I had the pleasure of seeing Kevin go on.  Having never seen Matthew, it's unfair for me to say that Kevin was better, but I did not feel like I missed out on anything.  Kevin was an excellent Barrie.  He sung the score beautifully, his accent was excellent and his comedic timing was very good as well.  My favorite thing was Kevin's chemistry with the children.  His relationship with both them and Laura Michelle Kelly was completely natural and if I didn't know otherwise, I would fully believe he performed nightly with them.

There were a number of people sitting around me complaining about the absence of Matthew.  But I managed to talk them all into staying and afterwards, they all made of a point of telling me how much they enjoyed Kevin.   I understand seeing a show because you're a fan of somebody - I know Matt has a lot of fans because of "Glee."  But coming all the way out to see a show and then leaving because a singular person isn't in the show or making a post on a message board just to stress how upset you are that you missed that person is silly to me.   The show isn't a phenomenal show and the writing isn't brilliant, but it's magical and fun and whimsical and it's not because of Matthew Morrison.  

Kevin was phenomenal.   There were no mistakes or missed lines that I could tell.  He didn't seem nervous or uncomfortable.  It's a huge role to take on.   Kevin had to take on the role whilst knowing all the other roles in the show as well and he nailed it.   I'm sure Matthew is great, but I'll certainly never walk away from a chance to see Kevin Kern perform in a show again after seeing him kill the role of Barrie.    

Updated On: 5/10/15 at 09:42 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#31annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 10:35pm

In my 20 or so years in seeing Broadway shows, only twice has a "star" been out that I really wanted to see. Wayne Brady in CHICAGO & David Hyde Pierce in SPAMALOT. It's frustrating, but at the same, having been an u/s in a few shows I understood the reason. It happens.  And quite possibly the u/s just might be better than the original actor.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mr Smith
#32annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 10:40pm

"In my 20 or so years in seeing Broadway shows, only twice has a "star" been out that I really wanted to see. Wayne Brady in CHICAGO & David Hyde Pierce in SPAMALOT. It's frustrating, but at the same, having been an u/s in a few shows I understood the reason. It happens.  And quite possibly the u/s just might be better than the original actor."

Victoria Clark was an understudy for Faith Prince I think for a show. She has won a tony 

Sunny11
#33annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 10:52pm

Matthew Morrison was an understudy himself in the Hairspray out of town trial and went on to play  Link on Broadway when the original star left. 

Updated On: 5/10/15 at 10:52 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#34annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 10:58pm

If Mattie says he hasn't had a day off in a year,

1. He's lying

2. It's his choice, no show works 365 days a year.

Just say your sick, rest and get better.  Can you hear Merman or Channing "tweeting": "Hey Fans! I'm having lady problems and will miss the matinee! I'll be back fresh as a daisy Saturday night!"

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#35annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 11:43pm

When an unscheduled change is made and there is an understudy or standby, how does the box office decide when to offer refunds?  Is it only when a leading actor is out, or do they offer refunds when a featured actor or supporting role has an unscheduled absence?  Just curious.  

Updated On: 5/10/15 at 11:43 PM

FindingNamo
#36annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 11:47pm

"Kevin was phenomenal."

Thanks for joining, Mrs. Kern!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

rdsport323
#37annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 12:35am

""I took a trip to NYC just to see a few shows. One of them being Finding Neverland. I'm a huge Glee fan, so I was excited to see Matt Morrison up on stage.  But as it turns out, the night I go, Saturday evening show, he tweets that he wants to rest.  Ugh.  I didn't find this out until I got the playbill with the insert.
I just wanted to vent. The show was still great, but I feel ripped off.  I wish I had known earlier he was taking a day off that night..Then I wouldve planned accordingly and watched Gigi instead and wait another day for FN.

"

I would be annoyed too
Why did you see FN when American in Paris looks so good"

I'm actually seeing that on Tuesday :)

Kevin Kern was actually really good.  I wish I could compare the performances.  I'm curious though for those that have seen Matthew Morrison perform, when he portrays his char, does he speak with an English accent?  Kevin Kern had a scottish/english accent which I'm not sure if was natural or was part of the play.  Overall the show was pretty decent.  I especially enjoyed Kelsey Grammar.

After reading everyones responses, I don't feel that bitter anymore.  I spent all day today Sunday watching Gigi first then went to watch Brandy perform in Chicago.  I also got Brandys autograph and took a picture with her.  She is soooo sweet and wow, she is super skinny.  Like REALLY really skinny.  I never knew about people waiting for autographs so I think on Tuesday after I watch American in Paris I will see if Matt Morrison is around after FN and see if i can get Mr. Schue to sign my playbill.

On a side note,  I'm excited to see Amanda Seyfried on Wednesday!!!  If she were to call in sick for that show, then I think I would be heartbroken.

jimmycurry01
#38annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 1:23am

"If Mattie says he hasn't had a day off in a year,
1. He's lying
Just say your sick, rest and get better.  Can you hear Merman or Channing "tweeting": "Hey Fans! I'm having lady problems and will miss the matinee! I'll be back fresh as a daisy Saturday night!""

Lying is a bit harsh, don't you think?  Over exaggerating, maybe, but lying? Really?

Between filming a TV show, rehearsing for the show, pre-recording tracks for the show, giving benefit performances, rehearsing for benefit performances, doing publicity for various projects, a few concert performances here and there, rehearsals for those performances, rehearsing a Broadway show and then performing said show, I would say that the slight over exaggeration is probably within reason, wouldn't you?

Sunny11
#39annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 1:53am

^ Add in getting married and they didn't even have time for a honeymoon. He was back to work on the glee set the following day. 

getatme
#40annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 1:56am

"I'm curious though for those that have seen Matthew Morrison perform, when he portrays his char, does he speak with an English accent?  Kevin Kern had a scottish/english accent which I'm not sure if was natural or was part of the play.  Overall the show was pretty decent."

Morrison uses the same accent. JM Barrie was Scottish. I was actually startled yesterday during the matinee when Kern entered and began speaking because he sounded exactly like Morrison.

Wayman_Wong
#41annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 2:48am

To rdsport323: Sorry you missed Matt Morrison's amazing performance in 'Finding Neverland.' I'm so glad he earned a Drama Desk nomination and a Drama League nomination for it. But DO try to stage-door 'Finding Neverland' after you see 'An American in Paris' on Tuesday night and try to catch Matt (assuming he's back) at the Lunt-Fontanne. In fact, 'American in Paris' starts at 7, so it'll let out before 'Neverland' (which starts at 7:30) does. You probably can even get to the 'Neverland' barricade before its audience does. And please be patient. He often has backstage visitors, so he can be one of the last ones out, but he'll make it worth your wait. 

skies Profile Photo
skies
#42annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 2:49am

What an ungrateful bastard Matt Morrisson  is to miss a performance when his father flew from Cali specifically to see him. 

It's not as if he had a legitimate reason like his voice gave out.

Sarcasm off.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

The Other One
#43annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 6:52am

""In my 20 or so years in seeing Broadway shows, only twice has a "star" been out that I really wanted to see. Wayne Brady in CHICAGO & David Hyde Pierce in SPAMALOT. It's frustrating, but at the same, having been an u/s in a few shows I understood the reason. It happens.  And quite possibly the u/s just might be better than the original actor."
 Victoria Clark was an understudy for Faith Prince I think for a show. She has won a tony."

Yes, in "Guys and Dolls." 

Secondstarontheright
#44annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 7:57am

The box office was offering refunds when Matt was out.  He's above the title, which usually means they have to offer a refund.  I believe the same goes for Kelsey Grammer if he is out.   My only point was that if people came for a certain person, I would hope they still stay for the actual show and experience, rather than leave just because of a person.  Just like the OP, they might really enjoy the understudy.  

Not sure why a singular snarky poster had to call me "Mrs. Kern" - many people on this board voiced that they enjoyed Kern, but apparently my opinion has rendered me his wife.  I'm honored, but I'm no Megan Lawrence.  

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#45annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 10:55am

"To rdsport323: Sorry you missed Matt Morrison's amazing performance in 'Finding Neverland.' I'm so glad he earned a Drama Desk nomination and a Drama League nomination for it. But DO try to stage-door 'Finding Neverland' after you see 'An American in Paris' on Tuesday night and try to catch Matt (assuming he's back) at the Lunt-Fontanne. In fact, 'American in Paris' starts at 7, so it'll let out before 'Neverland' (which starts at 7:30) does. You probably can even get to the 'Neverland' barricade before its audience does. And please be patient. He often has backstage visitors, so he can be one of the last ones out, but he'll make it worth your wait. "

Don't do that. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#46annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 11:00am

Actually, the implication was that you were his MOTHER.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jemjeb2
#47annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 11:21am

Updated On: 5/11/15 at 11:21 AM

jemjeb2
#48annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 11:28am

"If Mattie says he hasn't had a day off in a year,
1. He's lying
Just say your sick, rest and get better.  Can you hear Merman or Channing "tweeting": "Hey Fans! I'm having lady problems and will miss the matinee! I'll be back fresh as a daisy Saturday night!""

I assumed Morrison was referring to WORKING days off. If someone works 9 to 5, five days a week and declares they haven't had a day off in a year, we assume they are not talking about normal weekends off, and don't call them liars.

Liza's Headband
#49annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/11/15 at 11:29am

Yikes.... This thread is all kinds of cray cray. Those complaining about anything related to a missed performance due to health/illness need to get a grip and a life. Move on.

And those humoring the crazies with your responses? Cut it out. The internet is a scary place. 

Videos