pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:44pm

My guess is David Stone (one of the smartest producers around) feels he has a more populist, crowd-pleasing show with KIMBERLY than his colleagues had with A STRANGE LOOP. Whether that’s true remains to be seen though…

Audra once again proves that she is NOT a draw if she’s not singing.

I bet we’ll see JULIET hit the $1M club soon, maybe as soon as next week. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:55pm

blaxx said: "In 22 years only two Best Musical winners have flopped. I'd still say the award gives any production a very high chance to become a hit."

Absolutely. PASSION and A STRANGE LOOP are atypical in that regard.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:58pm

I’m hoping Akimbo isn’t TOO FAR below the nut or I don’t really get the business model unless they expected to sell out at full price night after night in that tiny theatre (though I guess that is often the business model haha). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 6:54pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "My guess is David Stone (one of the smartest producers around) feels he has a more populist, crowd-pleasing show with KIMBERLY than his colleagues had with A STRANGE LOOP. Whether that’s true remains to be seen though…."

David Stone may not be one of the smartest, but he certainly has some of the deepest pockets of usual suspect producers. His name’s been on the Wicked title page since 2003. 

There is no way to positively spin Kimberly Akimbo’s grosses or capacity after some of the best reviews in the last decade. The show may be an artistic hit among a small group of people but clearly is not translating into wider appeal. Grosses should’ve steadily increased each week, immediately decline.

SouthernCakes
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 7:08pm

Call_me_jorge said: "blaxx said: "carolinaguy said: "Those Kimberly Akimbo numbers are depressing. The show's own publicity staff couldn't have written better reviews and it dropped. It really does seem that any new show has to have some very familiar element in terms of star/song catalogue/title to make a go of it right now."

At least they know they have the best shot at a Tony.
"

As last season proved, winning the tony award doesn’t guarantee a box office success. So, why should producers keep paying for the show to stay open until the Tony’s if they’ll likely still close at a loss?
"

A Strange Loop is the exception not the standard. 

Jarethan
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 7:37pm

Did Hugh Jackman miss one performance or two?  

The Lion King is amazing.  I would expect this to pass Phantom's numbers (albeit in a decade) if they really do close it.  I do wonder how much reserve the Weisslers have stocked away to allow Chicago to continue running (until they pass?).  While it has had slow periods in the pass, the weekly nut MUST be going up, especially with recent inflation.  Is there any stunt casting left that will actually energize the box office or are they finally on life support??

Piano Lesson's grosses compared to Topdog / Underdog and Salesman must be proof that, at least in this 'semi' post-Covid period, people need stars to get them to see dramas.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 7:47pm

Jarethan said: "Did Hugh Jackman miss one performance or two?

Yes, Hugh was out Saturday evening & the Sunday matinee. He's out again tonight(vocal issues).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 9:41pm

Jarethan said: "Piano Lesson's grosses compared to Topdog / Underdog and Salesman must be proof that, at least in this 'semi' post-Covid period, people need stars to get them to see dramas."

And then there's LEOPOLDSTADT. No movie stars and packed houses.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 10:15pm

pethian said: "Jarethan said: "Piano Lesson's grosses compared to Topdog / Underdog and Salesman must be proof that, at least in this 'semi' post-Covid period, people need stars to get them to see dramas."

"

proving yet again: there are no rules.

troynow
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 10:42pm

I sadly agree with you.

BoringBoredBoard40
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 11:20pm

What makes a smart producer is knowing when to cut your loses

What makes a dumb producer is not knowing when to stop

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 11:32pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "What makes a smart producer is knowing when to cut your loses

What makes a dumb producer is not knowing when to stop
"

The problem with those platitudes is that they assume you know when "when" is. 

I'll offer a platitude that happens to be rooted in truth: the making of theatre is an art not a science. If we did it by science, we would have 5-6 shows a year.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 12:23am

pethian said: "Jarethan said: "Piano Lesson's grosses compared to Topdog / Underdog and Salesman must be proof that, at least in this 'semi' post-Covid period, people need stars to get them to see dramas."

"

Hm. I think there could be a case of audience? A play about Jewish heritage and a play about the Black experience. Audiences on Broadway tend to be older, white, and in NYC at least, Jewish. So... I don't think that's a fair comparison. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 12:51am

RippedMan said: "Hm. I think there could be a case of audience? A play about Jewish heritage and a play about the Black experience. Audiences on Broadway tend to be older, white, and in NYC at least, Jewish. So... I don't think that's a fair comparison."

You are addressing a different point than the one that was raised. That point was about stars and, specifically, said PL vs. Topdog and Salesman "must be proof that ... people need stars to get them to see dramas." Leopoldstadt is the counter to that. Yes Leopoldstadt is helped by its particular niche. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 1:19am

LEOPOLDSTADT is that once-a-season play that manages to appeal to a broad ticketbuying audience without a star. In similar company as LEHMAN, CONSTITUTION, FERRYMAN, OSLO, THE HUMANS, CURIOUS INCIDENT. These plays are rare gems, not the norm, and there is rarely room for more than one of them in a single season.

Similarly, there are often play revivals with stars that hope to succeed but don't. SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION, TORCH SONG, ANGELS IN AMERICA, HEIDI CHRONICLES, CRUCIBLE, BLACKBIRD, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, ORPHANS, etc.

I know I praised David Stone this afternoon, but what KIMBERLY has going against it is a bad ad campaign. Time to ditch the "school pictures" motif - quickly - and pivot.

Updated On: 11/23/22 at 01:19 AM

Ke3
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 2:22am

I always find it so interesting when well known theatre actors, who can carry a decent run in a musical, completely flop in plays. That must be slight irritating as a performer.

VintageSnarker
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 2:35am

RippedMan said: "pethian said: "Jarethan said: "Piano Lesson's grosses compared to Topdog / Underdog and Salesman must be proof that, at least in this 'semi' post-Covid period, people need stars to get them to see dramas."

"

Hm. I think there could be a case of audience? A play about Jewish heritage and a play about the Black experience. Audiences on Broadway tend to be older, white, and in NYC at least, Jewish. So... I don't think that's a fair comparison.

"

Those three revivals are probably competing for a similar audience and if you're only going to see one, it's probably going to be the one with the biggest stars. (You could probably throw in Ohio State Murders as another serious drama with a star lead even if that's not a revival.) But that doesn't explain Ain't No Mo and A Strange Loop not doing better. 

People have the money for Leopoldstadt, Funny Girl, and A Beautiful Noise.

It's harder to compare plays to musicals, but then no one is seeing KPOP so it's not just an issue with dramas. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 7:58am

If historically the Best Musical Tony winners are not flops, then right now it looks like Kimberly Akimbo will not win the Tony for Best Musical. 

It could very well go to a Spring show no one has seen yet like NYNY or Shucked or Here Lies Love rumored to announce a Spring opening soon.

Could BroadwayWorld get Shocked by Shucked?

Maybe not, it sounds dumb, but maybe dumb will be what recession audiences want?

I think if Here Lies Love comes in this Spring it takes the lead in the race for the Tony.

SouthernCakes
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 11:35am

It Ruthie is doing Sweeney - as rumored - Here Lies Love won’t be here this season. 

I think Kimberly will have a similar run to Gents Guide. Limp along until the Tonys then ramp up. 

Jarethan
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 11:44am

"Good point.  Here, I attribute it to Tom Stoppard fame, publicity about huge cast, subject matter (Broadway does have a huge Jewish audience) and great reviews.  It is as close to 'event' theatre as I can think of.  

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 11:45am

Can someone explain Take Me Out? It was selling so well in its initial run. Why did it come back? Why is it so low? 

Updated On: 11/23/22 at 11:45 AM

MemorableUserName
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 11:52am

Luminaire2 said: "Can someone explain Take Me Out? It was selling so well in its initial run. Why did it come back? Why is it so low?"

Jesse Williams was out almost all (or all), of last week, plus Jesse Tyler Ferguson missed three shows, so that probably contributed to last week's significantly lower numbers.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 12:20pm

MemorableUserName said: "Luminaire2 said: "Can someone explain Take Me Out? It was selling so well in its initial run. Why did it come back? Why is it so low?"

Jesse Williams was out almost all (or all), of last week, plus Jesse Tyler Ferguson missed three shows, so that probably contributed to last week's significantly lower numbers.
"

and the three weeks before? 

it’s doing significantly less business that it’s initial run. 

MemorableUserName
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 12:34pm

We discussed this last week, but it's really only doing worse than the last few weeks of the previous run, after the leak when they jacked up prices significantly, even more than they are now, and the smaller house meant greater demand.

Otherwise the attendance numbers the past three weeks were higher than they ever were in the initial run (until this past week with the absences) and the grosses were higher than what they were pre-leak. The capacity numbers look a lot worse since it's in a much larger house. This is just a show that seems to have an upper limit on interest it's not exceeding, and all the hype that followed the leak has died down. Unless they do something to drum up publicity again, it's going to stay in this same range.

And no, I don't know why they brought it back, other than that last minute surge before the closing leading them to believe there was more demand than there is.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22

Updated On: 11/23/22 at 12:34 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/23/22 at 12:36pm

Cause they thought there was demand for it? That's why it came back. 

It is kind of interesting to see Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen to close only for lesser shows to replace them. 

And I think Broadway just over-reached with these smaller, niche plays about the Black Experience. What was a hit at the Public in a small space, might not translate to a bigger house. The demand might not be there. Especially with rising costs, I think people are just pickier. 

Videos