pixeltracker

Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway- Page 2

Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/22/23 at 12:21pm

Knowing the material but having not seen the original, I believe the greatest head-scratch element was that artists of this pedigree could create a show that didn't work on this level: Neil Simon, Marvin Hamlisch, David Zippel, Manny Azenberg, Gene Saks (fired and replaced by Michael Kidd), Graciela Daniele, Peters, Short, etc.

There's some decent material in the score. For a company like this, this is a great show for them to revive as opposed to the umpteenth production of, say, Little Me or Last 5 Years.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/22/23 at 12:24pm

^ a bit like “Nick & Nora”, another show I’d love to see someone take a crack at. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#27Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/22/23 at 11:26pm

Jordan Catalano said: "^ a bit like “Nick & Nora”, another show I’d love to see someone take a crack at."

Me too! That was in my early days in NYC and I'm still kicking myself that I missed it.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#28Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/23/23 at 8:49am

Add “Starmites” to the list. That was a weird one. Check out their Tony award number. Heehee

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvRLrtOdsqo

Penna2
#29Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/23/23 at 2:18pm

Bill Snibson said: "Add “Starmites” to the list. That was a weird one. Check out their Tony award number. Heehee

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvRLrtOdsqo

Dare I add Mack and Mabel? Two great songs.

"

Updated On: 5/14/23 at 02:18 PM

RunnyBabbit
#30Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/23/23 at 3:12pm

I’m so mad I didn’t know about this in time! All of the shows are sold out now. Love the cast. Can’t wait to hear about it from those lucky enough to get tix.

verywellthensigh
#31Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/30/23 at 1:23pm

OK BWW mods...why was my post removed?  Is having contrary opinions about a SOLD OUT SHOW now verboten?  Anyways, here is the press reel of the original, re-posted:

THE GOODBYE GIRL B'way '93 - YouTube

frankiec Profile Photo
frankiec
#32Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/2/23 at 6:49pm

I have a ticket I can't use for the matinee on Sat, 5/20. M6 aisle seat. I can email the ticket. Face value. 

MarilynMonroeSmash Profile Photo
MarilynMonroeSmash
#33Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/2/23 at 7:05pm

frankiec said: "I have a ticket I can't use for the matinee on Sat, 5/20. M6 aisle seat. I can email the ticket. Face value."

I PM’d you!

RunnyBabbit
#34Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/3/23 at 8:33pm

If anyone ends up with an extra ticket/ticket they can’t use, please let me know!

JSquared2
#35Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/14/23 at 11:36am

Has anyone seen this yet? 

dan94
#36Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/14/23 at 1:27pm

I went yesterday afternoon. Fontana was out (might've been one of his scheduled days off. I subscribed to their season and booked my ticket before any cast was announced. I know he had a performance or two he had scheduled off).

It's a charming show. Not the greatest thing in the world but very winning. It's a very small space and of the 3 shows this season, this production felt the fullest/most complete. 

Boggess seemed possibly slightly miscast, but certainly has star quality she brought to the stage. It was very good work from her. Sieber is hysterical. It was all terribly likable even if the show isn't going to be remembered as a masterwork in the cannon. 

BETTY22
#37Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/14/23 at 4:28pm

I'm not a fan of this show. But I am a fan of Boggess. 

I bought a ticket because of her. 

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#38Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/14/23 at 11:08pm

I saw the second performance on Friday night, 5/12.   I was probably one of the few people in the audience who had seen the original 1993 production (except for lyricist David Zippel who is directing this show).  I was surprised that Santino was out (I couldn't find any mention of a scheduled absence except for the first performance).  It's a cute production in the small space, but I have the original one still seared into my memory, and this one seemed to have less laughs for me.  The teens in the row behind me were giggling, talking to each other, coughing, and crinkling snack bags (for most of act two).  Even with patrons in my row turning around and asking them to be quiet, they continued to be disruptive.  Turns out they were friends of one of the young actors (there are three).

It was nice to hear the songs/music again.  Great to see Sierra Boggess and Christopher Sieber.  There was a cast talkback, and Christopher was the best part (Sierra was not able to attend). 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#39Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/15/23 at 8:03am

this was before my time and always wanted to see this.  

RunnyBabbit
#40Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/18/23 at 2:41pm

Apparently Santino is going to be out for the rest of the performances.  I called to see if any tickets had become available (I don’t live in NY so I can’t take advantage of the waitlist) and the BO rep mentioned it.

JSquared2
#41Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/18/23 at 3:15pm

RunnyBabbit said: "Apparently Santino is going to be out for the rest of the performances. I called to see if any tickets had become available (I don’t live in NY so I can’t take advantage of the waitlist) and the BO rep mentioned it."

So that means he didn't do ANY performances, right?  Talk about a "bait and switch".  

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#42Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/19/23 at 9:40pm

I’m happy for Dan Deluca unexpectedly getting to play Elliot the whole run, but wondering what the hell happened to Fontana. 

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#43Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/19/23 at 10:09pm

Probably the same thing that happened to him on Crazy Ex Girlfriend 

verywellthensigh
#44Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/19/23 at 10:30pm

Which was what?

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#45Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/20/23 at 1:16am

Basically another Becky from Roseanne situation.
Santino pursued other projects before the show was renewed, so he was written out a couple episodes into the second season. I recall the character coming back later in the series, but played by Skylar Astin (I think* Santino was doing Tootsie or another Broadway show, could be mistaken on the project). I remember reading an interview with Santino where he approved and supported the change since he couldn’t come back even years later.
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was a…fever dream to say the least. As was Rachel Bloom’s backstage hosting gig at the Tony’s that one year. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

16 Years Later
#46Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/20/23 at 12:39pm

Anyone know the approximate running time?

RunnyBabbit
#47Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/20/23 at 12:43pm

16 Years Later said: "Anyone know the approximate running time?"

2:15. The talkback after was about 45 minutes.

Updated On: 5/21/23 at 12:43 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#48Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 5/20/23 at 2:54pm

verywellthensigh said: "Which was what?"

Santino only had a one year contract with the CW, so he was always going to leave. He doesn't spend years doing the same project most of the time. The following year (2017) he did the industry reading for Tootsie and continued to work on that until it premiered in 2018. 

Bringing his character Greg back with Skylar didn't work, and the show was already on its way out anyways, but there was no drama or bad blood with Rachel. 

He was obviously advertised heavily for this show and it's a shame for people that really wanted to see him. I think he's doing some concerts if you want to catch him though. 

sparklingtonic2
#49Fontana, Boggess & Sieber in THE GOODBYE GIRL Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/6/23 at 12:28pm

JSquared2 said: "… So that means he didn't do ANY performances, right? Talk about a "bait and switch"."

Does anyone know why Santino dropped out? I’m a little surprised the casting change got no press coverage at all (that I could find).

Updated On: 6/6/23 at 12:28 PM

Videos