News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#252024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/13/23 at 3:47pm

Yes, but if the role isn't meaty/interesting enough, she won't be on anyone's radar. And certainly no more "out there" of a comment then just assuming she will get a nom simply for originating a role.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#262024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/13/23 at 11:52pm

chrishuyen said: "I'm really curious about how Suffs will be because the production at the Public had a lot of promise but needed major edits."

They did an extensive workshop/backers audition in the fall (without Shaina performing in it this time so she could focus on the writing), but I don't know how much it has changed since the Public run, if Jill Furman & co have the $$ in place to move ahead, or if there are theatre owners willing to give them a house.

Of all the recent(ish) Public musicals, I'd frankly prefer David Henry Hwang & Jeanine Tesori's SOFT POWER.

Updated On: 6/13/23 at 11:52 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#272024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/13/23 at 11:58pm

You’re all assuming Harmony makes it until June. 

It doesn’t exactly have the same momentum as most other off Broadway transfers.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#282024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/23 at 12:06am

RippedMan said: "You’re all assuming Harmony makes it until June.
It doesn’t exactly have the same momentum as most other off Broadway transfers.
"

It's early and off-bway "momentum" is pretty meaningless (small theatre people bubbles). There's not a show on my list that is a guaranteed hit. What HARMONY does have is Barry Manilow, promoting this show more actively than I expected he might. That's not a 1/1 translation to ticket sales (as we know from plenty of other famous pop stars whose writing efforts have failed on Bway), but pre-opening he makes the show much more press-friendly than Wine & Roses or Suffs or Lempicka.

KevinKlawitter
#292024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/30/23 at 12:09pm

Fetch Clay, Make Man 

This is another possibility for a transfer - it's a play about the relationship between Muhammad Ali (Ray Fisher) and Stepin Fetchit (Edwin Lee Gibson) that's opened to strong reviews in LA.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#302024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/30/23 at 12:36pm

Well, there aren't any obvious ready-to-transfer Off-Broadway hits waiting for a theater this time around, so the 23-24 Broadway season is pretty wide open in terms of awards as of now. That hasn't been the case in a while. Going back to 2014, only 2 Best Musical winners have not originated off-Broadway (Gentleman's Guide and Moulin Rouge). And of those 7 other shows, only Hadestown was not a carbon-copy transfer of its off-Broadway production. And all of those off-Broadway transfers were obvious frontrunners from the get go.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/30/23 at 12:36 PM

Chaz Hands
#312024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/30/23 at 12:49pm

Kad said: "Well, there aren't any obvious ready-to-transfer Off-Broadway hits waiting for a theater this time around, so the 23-24 Broadway season is pretty wide open in terms of awards as of now. That hasn't been the case in a while. Going back to 2014, only 2 Best Musical winners have not originated off-Broadway (Gentleman's Guide and Moulin Rouge). And of those 7 other shows, only Hadestown was not a carbon-copy transfer of its off-Broadway production. And all of those off-Broadway transfers were obvious frontrunners from the get go."

What I’m hearing you say is that you DON’T think “White Girl in Danger” is ready to transfer?

(Hopefully the sarcasm read&hellip2024 Tony Awards

Updated On: 6/30/23 at 12:49 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#322024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/30/23 at 12:53pm

I would love for it to transfer so it could baffle even more audiences and so Tarra Conner Jones could get  well deserved recognition for her performance but yeah, seems highly unlikely in the near future. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Chaz Hands
#332024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/30/23 at 1:03pm

To be fair, I did not see it, but all of my friends who did  thought it was too long and that the plot was a mess, which is where my not-ready-to transfer comment came from. I love supporting new musicals though, so hopefully they can get the show ready for a transfer!

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#342024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/30/23 at 1:37pm

Evita, Jesus Christ Superstar, Beauty and the Beast, Damn Yankees, Kiss of the Spiderwoman, Pal Joey, The Secret Garden, Spamalot, Light in the Piazza, Dear World, Chess, Cabaret, The Wiz, Merrily We Roll Along

Goddess, Suffs, The Notebook, Water for Elephants, The Great Gatsby, Hells Kitchen, Secret Life of Bees, Come Fall in Love

KevinKlawitter
#352024 Tony Awards
Posted: 9/15/23 at 3:10pm

It just occurred to me that depending on if/when the transfer of A Wonderful World happens, James Monroe Iglehart could be a double nominee in Best Actor in a Musical.

ElephantLoveMedley
#362024 Tony Awards
Posted: 10/18/23 at 9:55am

Now that Suffs is officially coming in, we have 11 musicals officially announced for this season that are vying for Best Musical (let alone Lempicka which hasn't announced yet): Back to the Future, Days of Wine and Roses, Gutenberg! The Musical!, Harmony, Here Lies Love, How to Dance in Ohio, The Notebook, Once Upon a One More Time, The Outsiders, Suffs, and Water for Elephants.

What a stacked season. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#372024 Tony Awards
Posted: 10/18/23 at 9:59am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Now thatSuffsis officially coming in, we have 11 musicals officially announced for this season that are vying for Best Musical (let aloneLempickawhich hasn't announced yet):Back to the Future, Days of Wine and Roses, Gutenberg! The Musical!, Harmony, Here Lies Love, How to Dance in Ohio, The Notebook, Once Upon a One More Time, The Outsiders, Suffs, andWater for Elephants.

What a stacked season.
"

Definitely a stacked season with no real frontrunner which makes it extra interesting. My money is on The Outsiders for now but it really could go so may ways. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#382024 Tony Awards
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:43am

My money’s on Days of Wine and Roses, but that might suffer from the disadvantage of being a closed show when the ceremony rolls around. 

Oh look, a bibu!

KevinKlawitter
#392024 Tony Awards
Posted: 12/31/23 at 1:04pm

On the verge of a new year and with the season more clearly defined, time for new wild speculation!

Best Musical

• Days of Wine and Roses
  • Hell's Kitchen
  • Here Lies Love
  • The Notebook
  • The Outsiders
    • (alt. How to Dance in Ohio, Water for Elephants, Lempicka, Suffs)

Best Play

• Appropriate
  • Jaja's African Hairstyling
  • Mother Play
  • Prayer for the French Republic
  • The Shark is Broken
    • (alt. Mary Jane, My Son’s a Queer (But What Can You Do?) )

Best Musical Revival

• Cabaret
  • Gutenberg! The Musical!
  • Merrily We Roll Along
  • Spamalot
  • The Who's Tommy
    • (alt. The Wiz)

Best Play Revival

• An Enemy of the People
  • Doubt
  • Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
  • Uncle Vanya

Best Actor in a Musical

• Eddie Redmayne - Cabaret
  • Brian d’Arcy James - Days of Wine and Roses
  • Chip Zien - Harmony
  • Jonathan Groff - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Ali Louis Bourzgui - The Who's Tommy
    • (alt. Josh Gad, Andrew Rannells - Gutenberg! The Musical!, Grant Gustin - Water for Elephants, Jeremy Jordan - The Great Gatsby)

Best Actress in a Musical

• Gayle Rankin - Cabaret
  • Kelli O’Hara - Days of Wine and Roses
  • Maleah Joi Moon - Hell's Kitchen
  • Arielle Jacobs.- Here Lies Love
  • Nichelle Lewis - The Wiz
    • (alt. Eden Espinosa - Lempicka, Eva Nobelzada - The Great Gatsby)

Best Actor in a Play

• Jeremy Strong - An Enemy of the People
  • Liev Schrieber - Doubt
  • Anthony Edwards - Prayer for the French Republic
  • Leslie Odom, Jr - Purlie Victorious: a Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
  • Steve Carell - Uncle Vanya
    • (alt. Ari Brand - Prayer for the French Republic, Danny DeVito - I Need That, Rob Madge -  My Son's a Queer (But What Can You Do?), Jim Parsons - Mother Play)

Best Actress in a Play

• Sarah Paulson - Appropriate
  • Brittany Adebumola - Jaja's African Hair Braiding
  • Tyne Daly - Doubt
  • Jessica Lange - Mother Play
  • Betsy Aidem - Prayer for the French Republic
    • (alt. Rachel McAdams- Mary Jane, Francis Benhamou - Prayer for the French Republic, Maechi Aharanwa - Jaja's African Hair Braiding)

Best Featured Actor in a Musical

• Brandon Victor Dixon - Hell's Kitchen
  • Liam Pearce - How to Dance in Ohio
  • Daniel Radcliffe - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Dorian Harewood - The Notebook
  • Taran Killiam - Spamalot
    • (alt. Wayne Brady- The Wiz, Ryan Vasquez - The Notebook, John Cardoza - The Notebook, actors tbd from Cabaret, The Outsiders, Water For Elephants or Tommy)

Best Featured Actress in a Musical

• Bebe Neuwirth - Cabaret
  • Shoshana Bean - Hell's Kitchen
  • Lindsay Mendez - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Maryanne Plunkett - The Notebook
  • Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer - Spamalot
    • (alt. Deborah Cox - The Wiz, Melody Betts - The Wiz, cast tbh from The Notebook or Tommy)

Best Featured Actor in a Play

• Michael Imperioli - An Enemy of the People
  • Richard Maysur - Prayer for the French Republic
  • Alex Brightman - The Shark is Broken
  • Alfred Molina - Uncle Vanya
  • Jay O. Sanders- Purlie Victorious: a Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
    • (alt. William Jackson Harper - Uncle Vanya, Ian Shaw - The Shark is Broken)

Best Featured Actress in a Play

• Zoe Kazan - Doubt
  • Rachel Christopher - Jaja's African Hair Braiding
  • Celia Keenan-Bolger - Mother Play
  • Kara Young - Purlie Victorious: a Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
  • Alison Pill - Uncle Vanya
    • (alt. Anika Noni Rose - Uncle Vanya, Quincy Tyler Bernstine - Doubt, Rachel Christopher - Jaja's African Hair Braiding) 

Best Director - Musical

• Cabaret
  • Days of Wine and Roses
  • Here Lies Love
  • The Notebook
  • Tommy
    • (alt. Merrily We Roll Along, Hell's Kitchen)

Best Director - Play

• Mother Play
  • Prayer For the French Republic
  • Purlie Victorious: a Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
  • Uncle Vanya
    • (alt. Appropriate, An Enemy of the People, Doubt)

Best Book of a Musical

• Days of Wine and Roses
  • Hell's Kitchen
  • Here Lies Love
  • The Notebook
  • Water for Elephants
    • (alt. How to Dance in Ohio, Here Lies Love)

Best Score

• Days of Wine and Roses
  • Here Lies Love
  • The Notebook
  • The Outsiders
  • Water for Elephants
    • (alt. Hell's Kitchen, Harmony, Lempicka, Suffs, How to Dance In Ohio, play tbd)

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#402024 Tony Awards
Posted: 12/31/23 at 2:00pm

I'm going to zone in on some of these categories.

KevinKlawitter said: "On the verge of a new year and with the season more clearly defined, time for new wild speculation!

Best Play

• Appropriate
  • Mother Play
  • Prayerfor the French Republic
  • The Shark is Broken
    • (alt. Mary Jane,My Son’s a Queer (But What Can You Do?) )

**"The Shark Is Broken" has a very slim if any chance of making it in to the mix. This seems like a head to head between Appropriate and Prayer for the French Republic - both critical darlings with preceding reptuations.

Best Musical Revival

• Cabaret
  • Gutenberg! The Musical!
  • Merrily We Roll Along
  • Spamalot
  • The Who's Tommy
    • (alt. The Wiz)

**Probably going to be Merrily's to lose, but I see "The Wiz" getting in over "Gutenberg", depending on how much they change on the road to Broadway and also recency bias.

Best Play Revival

• An Enemy of the People
  • Doubt
  • Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
  • Uncle Vanya

**Hard to call, but unless any of these other productions is a true knockout or rides the wave of recency bias, I'd be hard pressed to not see Kenny Leon claim another winning Play Revival trophy.

Best Actor in a Musical

• Eddie Redmayne - Cabaret
  • Brian d’Arcy James - Days of Wine and Roses
  • Chip Zien - Harmony
  • Jonathan Groff - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Ali Louis Bourzgui - The Who's Tommy
    • (alt. Josh Gad, Andrew Rannells - Gutenberg! The Musical!, Grant Gustin - Water for Elephants, Jeremy Jordan - The Great Gatsby)

**Gustin unseen, this whole category feels rather weak to me this year. I was not as knocked out by Zien and Groff as many were. I don't think Gad and Rannells will break in since they come as a matched set.

Best Actor in a Play

• Liev Schrieber - Doubt
  • Anthony Edwards - Prayerfor the French Republic
  • Leslie Odom, Jr - Purlie Victorious: a Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
  • Steve Carell - Uncle Vanya
    • (alt. Ari Brand - Prayerfor the French Republic, Danny DeVito - I Need That,Rob Madge -My Son'saQueer (But What Can You Do?), Jim Parsons - Mother Play)

**I'm assuming everyone in Prayer for the French Republic is considered Featured until otherwise noted, so swap out Edwards for probably Madge unless they really want to stack the deck and add DeVito, or even expand the category.

Best Actress in a Play

• Tyne Daly -Doubt
  • Betsy Aidem - Prayerfor the French Republic
    • (alt. Rachel McAdams- Mary Jane, Francis Benhamou - Prayer for the French Republic, Maechi Aharanwa - Jaja's African Hair Braiding)

**Removing Jaja's cast from consideration since the Tony nominators ruled them all as featured. - https://www.broadwaynews.com/tony-awards-committee-issues-first-eligibility-rulings-for-2023-2024-season-2/ and also sticking with removing the French Republic cast for the same reason. You could actually add Laura Bell Bundy for The Cottage in the mix - since she seemed to be the standout of an otherwise middling show.

Best Featured Actor in a Musical

• Brandon Victor Dixon - Hell's Kitchen
  • Liam Pearce - How to Dance in Ohio
  • Daniel Radcliffe - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Dorian Harewood - The Notebook
  • Taran Killiam- Spamalot
    • (alt. Wayne Brady- The Wiz, Ryan Vasquez - The Notebook, John Cardoza - The Notebook, actors tbdfrom Cabaret, The Outsiders, Water For Elephants or Tommy)

**I would be shocked if HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO ended up in any major categories since I think it will be closed and long forgotten by awards season. I could see Kyle Ramar Freeman as The Lion in THE WIZ sneaking in, since there is precedent for that role being a nominee (and winner). You also have an embarassment of riches in the SPAMALOT cast and also Ato-Blankson Wood and Steven Skybell for CABARET

Best Featured Actress in a Musical

• Bebe Neuwirth - Cabaret
  • Shoshana Bean - Hell's Kitchen
  • Lindsay Mendez - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Maryanne Plunkett - The Notebook
  • Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer - Spamalot
    • (alt. Deborah Cox - The Wiz, Melody Betts - The Wiz, cast tbh from The Notebook or Tommy)

**Seems about right. No notes.

• Michael Imperioli - An Enemy of the People
  • Jay O. Sanders- Purlie Victorious: a Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
    • (alt. William Jackson Harper - Uncle Vanya, Ian Shaw - The Shark is Broken)

**Move the French Republic actors down here for contention, and switch out Jay O. Sanders for Billy Eugene Jones (although I'd be delighted if both made it in).

• Zoe Kazan - Doubt
  • Rachel Christopher - Jaja's African Hair Braiding
  • Celia Keenan-Bolger - Mother Play
  • Kara Young - Purlie Victorious: a Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch
    • (alt. Anika Noni Rose - Uncle Vanya,Quincy Tyler Bernstine- Doubt, Rachel Christopher - Jaja's African Hair Braiding)

**Move the Jaja ladies down to this category, but I think Kara Young may actually be the one to beat here. She will become the first African-American actress to earn three consecutive Tony nominations in three years and she's overdue for a win. It would be history making AND well deserved.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#412024 Tony Awards
Posted: 12/31/23 at 2:08pm

If Kecia Lewis transfers with Hell's Kitchen, I'd be surprised if she wasn't nominated, and, personally, I'd rather she got in over Shoshana Bean, if it came down to that.

Updated On: 12/31/23 at 02:08 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#422024 Tony Awards
Posted: 12/31/23 at 2:20pm

I honestly don’t care who gets nominated, I just want to best Adam Feldman for a second year in a row with my winner predictions. Nothing against him, but it should lead to some playful ribbing. 

Oh look, a bibu!

kurtal
#432024 Tony Awards
Posted: 12/31/23 at 3:08pm

OK, I'll play.  I'm ignoring Stereophonic in acting categories since I don't know where they'll be categorized.

Musical

Noms
Hell's Kitchen
Here Lies Love
Suffs
The Notebook
Water for Elephants

Contenders
Days of Wine and Roses
Lempicka
The Outsiders

Play

Noms
Appropriate
Jaja's African Hair Braiding
Mother Play
Prayer for the French Republic
Stereophonic

Contenders
Just for Us
Mary Jane
My Son's a Queer

Play Revival
I assume there will be only three

Noms
Doubt
Purlie Victorious
Uncle Vanya

Contender
An Enemy of the People

Musical Revival

Noms
Cabaret
Gutenberg
Merrily We Roll Along
The Who's Tommy

Contenders
Spamalot
The Wiz

Leading Actor - Play

Noms
Steve Carell - Uncle Vanya
William Jackson Harper - Uncle Vanya
Leslie Odom, Jr. - Purlie Victorious
Jeremy Strong - An Enemy of the People
Liev Schreiber - Doubt

Contenders
Danny DeVito - I Need That
Alex Edelman - Just for Us
Eric McCormack - The Cottage
Rob Madge - My Son's a Queer...

Leading Actress - Play

Noms
Tyne Daly - Doubt
Jessica Lange - Mother Play
Rachel McAdams - Mary Jane
Laura Bell Bundy - The Cottage
Sarah Paulson - Appropriate

Contenders
Tatiana Maslany - Grey House
Laurie Metcalf - Grey House
Celia Keenan-Bolger - Mother Play

Leading Actor - Musical

Noms
Jonathan Groff - Merrily We Roll Along
Brian D'Arcy James - Days of Wine and Roses
Ryan Vazquez - The Notebook
Eddie Redmayne - Cabaret
Chip Zien - Harmony

Contenders
Roger Bart - Back to the Future
Josh Gad - Gutenberg
Andrew Rannells - Gutenberg
Grant Gustin - Water for Elephants
Brody Grant - The Outsiders
Tommy

Leading Actress - Musical

Noms
Kelli O'Hara - Days of Wine and Roses
Joy Woods - The Notebook
Eden Espinoza - Lempicka
Gayle Rankin - Cabaret
Maleah Joi Moon - Hell's Kitchen

Contenders
Arielle Jacobs - Here Lies Love
Isabelle McCalla - Water for Elephants
Nichelle Lewis - The Wiz
Shaina Taub - Suffs

Featured Actor - Play

Noms
Jay O. Sanders - Purlie Victorious
Michael Imperioli - An Enemy of the People
Anthony Edwards - Prayer for the French Republic
Jim Parsons - Mother Play
Alfred Molina - Uncle Vanya

Contenders
Ari Brand - Prayer for the French Republic
Alex Moffat - The Cottage
Colin Donnell - The Shark is Broken
Stereophonic?

Featured Actress - Play

Noms
Kara Young - Purlie Victorious
Francis Benhamou - Prayer for the French Republic
Quincy Tyler Bernstine - Doubt
Alison Pill - Uncle Vanya
Elle Fanning - Appropriate

Contenders
Sophia Anne Caruso - Grey House
One of the women from Jaja's African Hair Braiding
Betsy Aidem - Prayer for the French Republic
Jayne Houdyshell - Uncle Vanya
Anika Noni Rose - Uncle Vanya
Victoria Pedretti - An Enemy of the People

Featured Actor - Musical

Noms
Paul Alexander Nolan - Water for Elephants
Ato Blankson-Wood - Cabaret
Daniel Radcliffe - Merrily We Roll Along
Brandon Victor Dixon - Hell's Kitchen
Conrad Ricamora - Here Lies Love

Contenders
One of the Spamalot men (I'd vote for Ethan Slater)
John Cardoza - The Notebook
One of The Outsiders
Someone from The Wiz

Featured Actress - Musical

Noms
Maryann Plunkett - The Notebook
Bebe Neuwirth - Cabaret
Lindsay Mendez - Merrily We Roll Along
Kecia Lewis - Hell's Kitchen
Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer - Spamalot

Contenders
Krystal Joy Brown - Merrily
Jennifer Simard - Once Upon a One More Time
Deborah Cox - The Wiz
Shoshana Bean - Hell's Kitchen
Someone from Suffs (Grace McLean has a real shot if she stays with it)

Direction - Play

Noms
Lila Neugebauer - Appropriate
Kenny Leon - Purlie Victorious
David Cromer - Prayer for the French Republic
Daniel Aukin - Stereophonic
Tina Landau - Mother Play

Contenders
Whitney White - Jaja's African Hair Braiding
Anne Kauffman - Mary Jane
Lila Neugebauer - Uncle Vanya
Sam Gold - An Enemy of the People

Direction of a Musical

Noms
Alex Timbers - Here Lies Love
Maria Friedman - Merrily We Roll Along
Michael Greif & Schele Williams - The Notebook
Rebecca Frecknall - Cabaret
Michael Greif - Hell's Kitchen

Contenders
Michael Greif - Days of Wine and Roses
Jessica Stone - Water for Elephants
Danya Taymor - The Outsiders
Rachel Chavkin - Lempicka
Leigh Silverman - Suffs

Book of a Musical

Noms
Days of Wine and Roses
The Notebook
Water for Elephants
Suffs
Hell's Kitchen

Contenders
Here Lies Love
The Outsiders
Lempicka

Score

Noms
Here Lies Love
Days of Wine and Roses
The Notebook
Suffs
The Outsiders

Contenders
Water for Elephants
Lempicka
Hell's Kitchen (if eligible, which probably not)

KevinKlawitter
#442024 Tony Awards
Posted: 12/31/23 at 4:25pm

Thanks for the category clarification, quizking101.  I was wondering about that, but I must not have looked hard enough when I was researching potential nominees.

With that in mind, my revised acting categories:

Best Actor in a Play

• Liev Schrieber - Doubt
  • Anthony Edwards - Prayer for the French Republic
  • Rob Madge -My Son's a Queer (But What Can You Do

Best Actress in a Play

• Laura Bell Bundy -The Cottage
  • Tyne Daly -Doubt
  • Rachel McAdams - Mary Jane

• Michaele Imperioli - An Enemy of the People
  • Anthony Edwards - Prayer for the French Republic

• Elle Fanning - Appropriate
  • Francis Benhamou - Prayer for the French Republic

I agree Featured Actress is probably Young's to lose.  She's clearly loved by the voters and she gives an absolutely show-stealing performance. My rationale for including Liam Pearce as a nominee (apart from just being stubborn over liking the show more than most on this board  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) is that the representation is by a pretty wide margin the thing that has earned the show the most praise, and whether it closes early or not there will probably be pressure on Tony voters to recognize that in some way.  (yes that's a little cynical and counter to the show's message, but that's the sort of thinking you run into when your hobby is predicting showbiz industry awards). Liam Pearce is the face of the show in many ways, has the biggest song, and gives a charismatic performance.  I would even argue he could potentially be placed in Lead (where, as was mentioned, it's a weaker competition).

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#452024 Tony Awards
Posted: 12/31/23 at 5:31pm

There will be more productions announced including Sterophonic and Dear England and The Great Gatsby which nobody is including in their nominations.  

I think Gad and Rannels are in for best actor. As well as Maria Friedman for direction.  No way shark or cottage get any nominations. Throwing Laura Bell Bundy in there is laughable. Who I love by the way and thought she was great. Here Lies Love is out.  The outsiders, the Notebook, days of wine and roses, Suffs, lempicka are in. Hell’s Kitchen, Great gatsby, water for elephants could possibly get in. 

Updated On: 12/31/23 at 05:31 PM

Musicaldudepeter
#462024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/1/24 at 6:59am

I wonder will Cabaret sweep like it did at the Olivers?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#472024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/1/24 at 12:02pm

I'd love to see Reg Rogers get a featured actor nomination. He's effortlessly spot-on throughout the show, and his delivery of "Folks, it's Funny Girl, Fiddler (with a hint of Teyve's dance), and Dolly combined" is just so damn perfect. I can't imagine anyone making Joe Josephson as interesting or as memorable as he does.

BoringBoredBoard40
#482024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/1/24 at 12:23pm

I think people are really underestimating Gutenberg and Josh and Andrew here, I have talked to a handful of nominators and voters who really loved the show and both of the guys, I don't know if they both get nominated but I think one of the two might slip in that last slot

And now that Sunset is absolutely not coming this season I think Gutenberg ends up in revival over Spamalot and The Wiz 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#492024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/1/24 at 12:41pm

Appropriate premiered over ten years ago, and had a significant Off-Broadway production, so really, it should be deemed a revival. I guess it's a bit of a gray area though, and it would be nice to see BJJ get a Tony Award.

Some of these other predictions are a bit wild though - i.e. Alfred Molina may be a three-time Tony nominee, but his role in Uncle Vanya is relatively thankless and no matter how good he is in it, a nomination for this role is unlikely. Same with Ato Blankson-Wood in Cabaret. The role of Cliff is the most boring of all the principals, and I can't imagine any actor getting nominated for a major award for playing it.

Videos