pixeltracker

Who could replace Josh Groban?- Page 2

Who could replace Josh Groban?

willep
#25Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 7:54pm

God please no not a Hugh Jackman Sweeney.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#26Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:03pm

^ God no. 

Updated On: 10/19/23 at 08:03 PM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#27Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:11pm

Jay-Z & Beyonce 

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#28Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:12pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Okieriete Onaodowan, too soon?

Ideall, I think it would be a cute moment if Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford got to reunite in this.
"

Hahahahahahahahahahahaa oh man you stole my response 

Jarethan
#29Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:19pm

ACL2006 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Jay Lerner-Z said: "I can't see Cyndi Lauper playing a Londoner convincingly.”

and Annaleigh does? lol
"

Annaleigh is as dreadful as Mrs. Lovett. How she got a Tony nomination is unreal. She's literally rolling around on the stage pandering for laughs. I blame the director for allowing that to happen.

FYI, the show is not extending. The Lunt is booked for the Spring.
"

I have not seen the show yet…October trip.  I do know 7 - 8 people who saw it and thought she was the best part.  Since she also won the Drama League Award for most distinguished performance of the season (and does not have the extensive list of credits that Sutton Foster has), I can only assume she took a high-risk interpretation of the role, which people in general seem to either love or hate.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#30Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 10:35pm

Raul Esparza and Hannah Waddingham. He'd get theatre people excited to come back, and a West End star-turned Emmy winning sitcom star would draw in box office AND be a fabulous casting choice. I think they can get by with a "Broadway famous" Sweeney if they bring in a Lovett that is a more commercial name.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Jarethan
#31Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 10:46pm

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "Raul Esparza and Hannah Waddingham. He'd get theatre people excited to come back, and a West End star-turned Emmy winning sitcom star would draw in box office AND be a fabulous casting choice. I think they can get by with a "Broadway famous" Sweeney if they bring in a Lovett that is a more commercial name."

Only one issue: Raul Esparza doesn’t sell enough tickets to matter.  He hasn’t been on Broadway in awhile and did not appear to sell tickets in the past.  Unless they get a real name, they are probably right to close when Groban leaves.  Despite being one of the all-time greats, ST has still depended on names to sell tickets on Broadway.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#32Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 10:58pm

I would love nothing more than to see Esparza and Waddingham in SWEENEY together, box office be damned (I don't think she means as much as some people here think she does, especially not on the heels of Groban)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#33Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:26pm

If they were planning on continuing the show without Groban and co, I feel like we would’ve gotten the new cast announcement by now. For comparison, the recent Hello, Dolly! revival announced Bernadette Peters(and Victor Garber) on September 05, 2017 when they weren’t due to start until January 20, 2018. Perhaps it’s apples and oranges, but when you are dealing with a massive start like Groban it’s hard to recast and it becomes even more difficult closer to their official end date.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#34Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:48pm

"Okieriete Onaodowan, too soon?"

LOLOL...that's one way to ensure closure!

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#35Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:46am

Esparza and Waddingham would be heaven on earth

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#36Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:51am

To be fair the show seemed to do well despite his vacations so perhaps there is demand there. But I’m sure it’ll likely close when they leave. It’ll tour for a year then a scaled down non-eq tour. 

hearthemsing22
#37Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 8:48am

RippedMan said: "To be fair the show seemed to do well despite his vacations so perhaps there is demand there. But I’m sure it’ll likely close when they leave. It’ll tour for a year then a scaled down non-eq tour."

Why non-eq? They could do an equity tour 

Theatrefanboy1
#38Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 9:00am

See I hope it’s not like hello Dolly that after bette bad Bernadette it closes. 
There was no reason for it close so quickly. With lists of replacements it was really quite sad

similar to this show and yet it’s difficult to find suitable replacements 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#39Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 10:36am

I would love to see Hugh shed his goody two shoes image and surprise everyone with a really disturbing portrayal.  I think he's done with Broadway for now, though, and, as we now know, he doesn't wish to be tied down at the moment.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#40Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 11:21am

Have Nicholas Christopher take over and cast ‘bigger’ people in the surrounding parts. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

OMG U Guyz
#41Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 12:27pm

quizking101 said: "Raul Esparza or bust."

He won’t sell tickets to tourists 

OMG U Guyz
#42Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 12:31pm

pmensky said: "Will and Audra."

It will never happen but Audra has said she wants to play Sweeney and Kieran Culkin was asked what role he’d like to play in a musical and his answer was Mrs. Lovett. While he may have been joking I would pay a LOT of money to see those two. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#43Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 12:32pm

RippedMan said: "To be fair the show seemed to do well despite his vacations so perhaps there is demand there."

Vacations & sick days are kind of a different thing. Those shows also do ok because they can sell them at the booth and people who just want to see a good revival of SWEENEY will bite (similar to the nights Donna Murphy went on in DOLLY or Julie Benko in FUNNY GIRL)...but that's a finite number of people and that audience dries up quickly, especially when the name JOSH GROBAN is no longer above the title.

Jarethan
#44Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 12:36pm

Impeach2017 said: "I would love to see Hugh shed his goody two shoes image and surprise everyone with a really disturbing portrayal. I think he's done with Broadway for now, though, and, as we now know, he doesn't wish to be tied down at the moment."

He could not sing the score.  His voice gets unpleasantly nasal when he has challenging songs, many of which ST sings.  Plus, after his MM triumph, it’s too soon and too high risk.

ivy3
#45Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 4:03pm

Christian Borle has been very vocal about wanting to do Sweeney Todd. 

This was just last week - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu7aruopqyk

Updated On: 9/19/23 at 04:03 PM

Ensemble1691149078
#46Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 5:22pm

While I would literally drop everything to see Will Swenson and Audra McDonald perform TOGETHER in Sweeny Todd. Period.

B212323
#47Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:15pm

ivy3 said: "Christian Borle has been very vocal about wanting to do Sweeney Todd.

This was just last week -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu7aruopqyk
"

I think we've learned he doesn't sell tickets to a wider audience. 

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#48Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:19pm

Impeach2017 said: "I would love to see Hugh shed his goody two shoes image and surprise everyone with a really disturbing portrayal. I think he's done with Broadway for now, though, and, as we now know, he doesn't wish to be tied down at the moment."

or married.

JasonC3
#49Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:48pm

ivy3 said: "Christian Borle has been very vocal about wanting to do Sweeney Todd.

This was just last week -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu7aruopqyk
"

Hmm.

Videos