pixeltracker

Protesters at Suffs tonight - Page 2

Protesters at Suffs tonight

MezzoDiva47
#25Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:03am

probably just a bunch of actors bitter that they werent cast in the show

perhaps instead of tearing down they could be constructive and create

why not write their version of the story they think is more legit and get that produced

nope they took the easy and lazy path

cancel culture is a cancer on our society

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#26Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:05am

OhHiii said: "RW3 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt"

Wait, you genuinely believe that the Parade producers hired people to have an anti-Semitic protest outside of the theatre?
"

Hate to say it, but this has been a rumor in the industry since it happened. And the evidence isn’t not convincing given there were other shows with Jewish subject matter that went their entire runs at the same time without something like that happening. And that it never happened again after it conveniently happened on first preview. Its unfortunate that that’s the speculation, but given who the press agent was on that show, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility.
"

The insinuation that a production full of many openly Jewish creatives would hire a group of neo nazis as a publicity stunt is absolutely disgusting. Anyone with half a brain and even a modicum of knowledge of the Broadway landscape should not be able to believe such a ludicrous notion. And as others have said above (complete with link to the laughable early aughts website), this Suffs protest is not a publicity stunt either. Some people have a disturbing penchant towards conspiracies.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#27Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:08am

OhHiii said: "RW3 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt"

Wait, you genuinely believe that the Parade producers hired people to have an anti-Semitic protest outside of the theatre?
"

Hate to say it, but this has been a rumor in the industry since it happened. And the evidence isn’t not convincing given there were other shows with Jewish subject matter that went their entire runs at the same time without something like that happening. And that it never happened again after it conveniently happened on first preview. Its unfortunate that that’s the speculation, but given who the press agent was on that show, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility.
"

None of those other productions featured Leo Frank-- Honestly, just read some of the Amazon reviews for a book on Leo Frank and his trial-- the Neo Nazi/KKK (former the Knights of Mary Phagan) reaction to anything related to Leo Frank is truly unhinged and consistent...  

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:40am

MezzoDiva47 said: "probably just a bunch of actors bitter that they werent cast in the show

perhaps instead of tearing down they couldbe constructive and create

why not write their version of the story they think is more legit and get that produced

nope they took the easy and lazy path"

You have GOT to be kidding.

"cancel culture is a cancer on our society"

Yes, this part is very, very true.   Make a mistake?  Off with your head.  Made a mistake ten years ago? Off with your head.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Broadway61004
#29Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 1:00pm

From their middle school quality website: "This also means that the kind of interracial relationship suggested by the colorblind casting in “SUFFS” (between Dudley Malone and Doris Stevens) wouldn’t have been possible at the time"

So they're saying that the show was whitewashed because they cast actors of color? That's....a take on it.

nasty_khakis
#30Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 1:13pm

I think if it's a stunt they contacted the real group and offered them tickets "hoping" they'd do something like this and get the show attention.

Slave Play did this by having their ONLY ever talk back and inviting a woman who had constantly contacted them saying the show was reverse racist to the show that day basically expecting her to cause the scene she did. They didn't ask her to do anything so they can say "we didn't plan this!" but they for sure hoped it because someone just so happened to be keeping cameras on her the entire time during the talk back. 

uncamark
#31Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 1:41pm

nasty_khakis said: "I think if it's a stunt they contacted the real group and offered them tickets "hoping" they'd do something like this and get the show attention.

Slave Play did this by having their ONLY ever talk back and inviting a woman who had constantly contacted them saying the show was reverse racist to the show that day basically expecting her to cause the scene she did. They didn't ask her to do anything so they can say "we didn't plan this!" but they for sure hoped it because someone just so happened to be keeping cameras on her the entire time during the talk back.
"

BS. Shaina Taub isn't a publicity-seeking showboat who wears African masks in public during COVID like Jeremy Harris. And she's out there every night. Why would she want the show to be interrupted for a publicity stunt?

nasty_khakis
#32Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 1:47pm

uncamark said: "BS. Shaina Taub isn't a publicity-seeking showboat who wears African masks in public during COVIDlike Jeremy Harris. And she's out there every night. Why would she want the show to be interrupted for a publicity stunt?"

Never said she did anything but there are other producers and publicists who do that kind of thing. Why would they do it? Because it gets people talking about the show and grabs a few headlines aka free advertising. The protesting at Enemy of the People got a lot of attention even in national news so it's possible someone saw that and thought it was a good idea, especially since bags are checked and they knew it would be non-violent. This could be totally unplanned for sure, but I wouldn't put it past a producer/publicist to do it and not warn the cast. 

MemorableUserName
#33Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 1:48pm

One of the women involved in the "protest" commented on the Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/1du12nw/comment/lbgrurd/

This is the best part:

"It's all so patronizing to the causes and lives of these Black women, and it's tbh, it's heartbreaking to see (some) Black women defend the show because there are so few roles and opportunities and so little representation for Black women on Broadway."

So...white woman criticizes the Black women who say they've enjoyed the show and purports to know the real reason they did so...but it's the show that's patronizing? Okay, white lady. How "heartbreaking" that some Black women have opinions different from yours and like something you don't think they should.

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 01:48 PM

uncamark
#34Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 2:16pm

MemorableUserName said: "One of the women involved in the "protest" commented on the Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/1du12nw/comment/lbgrurd/

This is the best part:

"It's all so patronizing to the causes and lives of these Black women, and it's tbh, it's heartbreaking to see (some) Black women defend the show because there are so few roles and opportunities and so little representation for Black women on Broadway."

So...white woman criticizes the Black women who say they've enjoyed the show and purports to know the real reason they did so...but it's the show that's patronizing? Okay, white lady. How "heartbreaking" that some Black women have opinions different from yours and like something you don't think they should.
"

It's obvious that this is white radical guilt at its best. I cannot believe the fuss she is making because supposedly the book doesn't mention Ida B Wells' married name. Aren't feminists opposed to taking their spouse's last name? In Chicago, the street where the Auditorium resides got its name changed a few years ago from Congress Pkwy. to Ida B. Wells Dr. No "Barnett." And I don't think I recall the name "Barnett" being used on the Hulu version of "The 1619 Project."

Gosh, considering the statements the far left has been making about Jews lately, could it be that Jesse Daniels hates "Suffs" because it's written by a--gasp--Jew?

whatever2
#35Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 3:19pm

we progressives really do love a circular firing squad ...

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Azúcar!
#36Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 3:26pm

Ridiculous.  We were confronted with pro palestine protesters at opening night of Funny Girl in LA in the plaza before entering the theater.  They really did nothing to further their misinformed cause.  

gibsons2
#37Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 3:35pm

whatever2 said: "we progressives really do love a circular firing squad ..."

Progressivism definitely is no longer what it used to be. One of my favorite quotes is "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself" no longer applies to left and progressives. Patronizing, policing and straight up authoritarian intolerance towards whoever thinks differently are the reasons that we are in the place that we are. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#38Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 3:38pm

I long ago accepted the fact that protests will be more and more prevalent at cultural events, even when they have nothing to do with politics or religion.

It’s just a shame. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/3/24 at 03:38 PM

SFFrontRow
#39Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 3:54pm

I did not see the off-Broadway version of the show, but from what I have read about this, the Broadway version rewrote the book to include (highlight?) the racism within the women's suffrage movement.

Not sure if the black suffrage leaders were in the original version or just the Broadway version, but it seems this protest group has not seen the current Broadway version... what they highlight on their (badly created) website is exactly what is in the show... three primary balck suffragists Ida B Wells, Mary Churth Terrell, and Terrell's activits daughter Phyllis play prominent roles in this production as does the the segregation during the Women's March on Washington where the black suffragists were asked to march separate, away from their state delegations.

If you are going to protest and try to cancel a Broadway show because of in accurate historical depictions, maybe you should see it and confirm what you are protesting actually still exists (it seems it does not).

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 03:54 PM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#40Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 5:24pm

dramamama611 said: "Yes, this part is very, very true. Make a mistake? Off with your head. Made a mistake ten years ago? Off with your head."

I think it's just a question as to where to draw the line. It's pretty clear to me that there are some things that an individual might say or do that are legal but should earn them banishment from normal society. Think Westboro and people like that.

Obviously writing a show that doesn't happen to focus on the topic you want it to focus on isn't one of those things. 

verywellthensigh
#41Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 5:34pm

The points they make are solid, but I don't understand people protesting Broadway.  People stop seeing Suffs and...racism is solved!  Broadway is so niche at this point they might as well be protesting the Citrus Golf Trail Ladies Invitational.  

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 05:34 PM

whatever2
#42Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 6:06pm

gibsons2 said: "whatever2 said: "we progressives really do love a circular firing squad ..."

Progressivism definitely is no longer what it used to be. One of my favorite quotes is "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself" no longer applies to left and progressives. Patronizing, policing and straight up authoritarian intolerance towards whoever thinks differently are the reasons that we are in the place that we are.
"

while i agree your definition of intolerance applies to some progressives (too many), i don't think it yet describes nearly all of us. and the circular firing squads have been around for way longer ... :)

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Dan6
#43Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 7:19pm

uncamark said: "In Chicago, the street where the Auditorium resides got its name changed a few years ago from Congress Pkwy. to Ida B. Wells Dr. No "Barnett."”

And here I was for a full minute missing the abbreviation and sentence break, and trying to figure out why Chicago named the street after both Ida B. Wells and a Bond villain. 

VintageSnarker
#44Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 10:56pm

MemorableUserName said: "One of the women involved in the "protest" commented on the Reddit thread"

"y'all are all talking about the show now in a more complicated, thoughtful way, so good job all of you, and SUCCESS for our action! 😊"

Absolutely insufferable. So smug and self-satisfied. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#45Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:36pm

there have always been, and always will be, idiots. its just a fact. and many of them are attention-seekers who, as with most idiots, are convinced their idiocy must be shared with others. whats changing is that the idiots of the past were content to be idiots amongst themselves, but now idiots are always on camera, and every idiot stunt is readymade to get rocketed worldwide for other idiots to admire. 

so stunts like this at suffs cant bother us- idiots. a bug in the human condition.

MUCH more disturbing to read non-idiots on these boards proclaim their idiocy by suggesting, as acceptable plausible fact, the ugliest of antisemitic conspiracy theories, fresh out of 1700s Europe: not only is the neonazi threat a myth we can downplay if not ignore entirely, but the *real* culprits of the neonazi display are the Jews themselves! so wily, so tricky, cant trust em.

the most charitable explanation is that, like the idiots of the past, many have no ill-will, and are just pawns, spreading the lie as intended. but let us call it out every time. (

the moderators, i see, have yet to find the cure for their antisemitism blindspot)

OhHiii
#46Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/4/24 at 11:51am

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "OhHiii said: "RW3 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt"

"

"

The insinuation that a production full of many openly Jewish creatives would hire a group of neo nazis as a publicity stunt is absolutely disgusting. Anyone with half a brain and even a modicum of knowledge of the Broadway landscape should not be able to believe such a ludicrous notion. And as others have said above (complete with link to the laughable early aughts website), this Suffs protest is not a publicity stunt either. Some people have a disturbing penchant towards conspiracies.
"

Never said I believed that to be the truth, just the existence of the rumor. Take a breath. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/4/24 at 12:40pm

...except you didn't just state the existence of the rumor. You then went on to give it support. For a paragraph.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

OhHiii
#48Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/4/24 at 1:37pm

I in no way intended any antisemitic sentiment in sharing something that had been discussed in industry circles. That it was taken that way I feel horrible about and taking that as a lesson in intent vs impact. Thanks for calling that out. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#49Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/4/24 at 2:05pm

spreads the lie, justifies its plausibility, gaslights ("take a breath"), and then finally backs down.  Kellyanne, is that you?

but to be fair, the last bit of promising-to-do-better is all we can ask for in this world, and i welcome the climb down, though i would urge someone who thinks the producers hired neonazis to protest leo frank to reflect just a tiny bit on how susceptible they are to hate mongering, and wonder where that comes from. as i said, i am happy to assume no ill-will in the pawns repeating the lie, but beg for you to recognize your role. 

Videos