Protesters at Suffs tonight

bigbelterbaby
#1Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/2/24 at 10:47pm

Reddit reporting protesters at Suffs tonight chanting the show should be canceled for white-washing history. Video and pics on Reddit. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#2Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:01pm

I was there tonight, it was quite an experience.

About halfway through Act 1, there were people hanging a sign in the box seats on House Left. I hadn't seen the show before so I thought maybe it was part of the show until I read the sign. Then they started chanting during the first Woodrow Wilson scene. The show stopped for a few mins while it was dealt with. Staff and cast handled it great.

Later in the act when the "Vote Wilson Out" sign comes down in the same location, Shaina Taub said "this is part of the convention" which I THINK is an actual line in the show? But it got a huge reaction from the audience.

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#3Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:01pm

Jeez. There are SO many things worth protesting right now, and they choose a Broadway musical? The Supreme Court just destroyed our democracy, but sure, it’s SUFFS that’s the real problem. Can’t roll my eyes hard enough. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#4Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:08pm

What’s next, the “cancellation” of Oh, Mary! for making history queer?

Oh look, a bibu!

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#5Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 12:07am

bigbelterbaby said: "Reddit reporting protesters at Suffs tonight chanting the show should be canceled for white-washing history. Video and pics on Reddit.

publicity stunt?

BorisTomashevsky
#6Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 12:20am

CoffeeBreak said: "publicity stunt?"

I wouldn’t be surprised. Check out the video on Reddit. The way the protestors willingly left the box with barely any intervention was pretty convenient. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#7Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 12:48am

def not a publicity stunt 

CoffeeBreak
#8Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 1:11am

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 01:11 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 2:13am

Our culture is tearing itself apart. And what’s scary is it’s now not just extreme opposite groups but people who are meant to share similar values and be on the same team. We urgently need to correct this. Open your eyes people - the world is as dangerous as it’s ever been and the rest of the world are not standing still. While we fight over this we have many countries of people working hard and improving themselves who wish they could have a 1/10th of what we have. I understand you can’t take any isolated incident and make a big deal out of it but look at the big picture and everyone knows what I’m talking about. If we cannot try and get along or disagree more productively we will pay the economic consequences of this in the long-term. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#10Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 2:22am

Publicity stunt? Suffs has an entire army of people in the conservative Fox News circuit to rile up about feminism and Hillary Clinton whenever the show makes major headlines. If this was some attempt at publicity, the whitewashing of history (something the show obviously already goes great lengths to portray in its ethos at large) is such a ridiculous thing to lead/question from the inside. The overwhelming majority of people would agree it’s (generally) a very respectable portrayal. Shaina Taub was not awarded both best score and book for nothing.

Re; their awkwardly seamless exit, have we considered that these people are just like, super ridiculous?

I would love to know where y’all get your tinfoil hats because I love a good conspiracy every now and then but clearly mine are not up to snuff. Sorry to be rude but lord.

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 02:22 AM

CoffeeBreak
#11Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 3:05am

Are they selling the boxes now?  It does not look it from seating chart.  When we saw the show both boxes were empty, seemingly for use of cast banner drops, yelled lines at stage and then removal.

Did ushers not see these people sneak to the boxes?   How long were they there?

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 03:05 AM

VintageSnarker
#12Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 5:23am

seaweedjstubbs said: "Jeez. There are SO many things worth protesting right now, and theychoose a Broadway musical? The Supreme Court just destroyed our democracy, but sure, it’s SUFFS that’s the real problem. Can’t roll my eyes hard enough."

I mean, if I've learned anything from Martha-Ann Alito, it's that white women (the protestors) apparently love communicating through flags.

Mr. Wormwood
#13Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 6:53am

CoffeeBreak said: "Are they selling the boxes now? It does not look it from seating chart. When we saw the showboth boxes were empty, seemingly for use ofcast banner drops, yelled lines at stage and then removal.

Did ushers not see these peoplesneak to the boxes? How long were they there?
"

The box on House Right is the sound board. There was a woman siting in the box seats on House Left who was not with the protestors. The sign was there for a few mins before the chanting began. I was surprised that staff didn't notice it because from my seat in the mezz I noticed it right away.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#14Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 7:24am

Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt 

Dreamboy3
#15Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 7:39am

WldKingdomHM said: "Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt"

Ummm…what Parade Stunt would that be?

RW3
#16Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 12/31/99 at 7:36pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt"

Wait, you genuinely believe that the Parade producers hired people to have an anti-Semitic protest outside of the theatre?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#17Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 8:15am

Dreamboy3 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt"

Ummm…what Parade Stunt would that be?
"

Protesters at Suffs tonight
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/neo-nazi-protesters-parade-musical-antisemitism-1234684591/

OhHiii
#18Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 8:23am

RW3 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt"

Wait, you genuinely believe that the Parade producers hired people to have an anti-Semitic protest outside of the theatre?
"

Hate to say it, but this has been a rumor in the industry since it happened. And the evidence isn’t not convincing given there were other shows with Jewish subject matter that went their entire runs at the same time without something like that happening. And that it never happened again after it conveniently happened on first preview. Its unfortunate that that’s the speculation, but given who the press agent was on that show, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#19Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 8:45am

Embarrassing to have a group of demonstrators who all appear to be cis white women protesting one of the most diverse shows on Broadway.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:14am

This is the website and “agenda” for more context —

https://www.cancelsuffs.com/realstorysuffs

This is surely not a stunt. This was a deeply sensitive matter in the writing and rewriting of the show and I’m sure it really rattled Shaina. 

Mr. Wormwood
#21Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:28am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "This is the website and “agenda” for more context —

https://www.cancelsuffs.com/realstorysuffs

This is surely not a stunt. This was a deeply sensitive matter in the writing and rewriting of the show and I’m sure it really rattled Shaina.
"

Yeah, given the context of the protests,  there's no way Shaina would have been OK with it as a publicity stunt. She did seem a bit rattled on stage immediately after but the audience was so receptive and I think that helped her and the rest of the cast get back on track quickly

JBM84
#22Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:32am

The irony of white people saying a show that casts tons of people of color in major rolls as “white washing” isn’t lost on me either. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#23Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:43am

That website looks like a school project that would barely pass. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Ke3
#24Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 10:45am

OhHiii said: "RW3 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Looks like a stunt. Upcoming weeks looks like they are in trouble selling wise. Reminds me of the Parade stunt"

"

Hate to say it, but this has been a rumor in the industry since it happened. And the evidence isn’t not convincing given there were other shows with Jewish subject matter that went their entire runs at the same time without something like that happening. And that it never happened again after it conveniently happened on first preview. Its unfortunate that that’s the speculation, but given who the press agent was on that show, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility.
"

Not to be rude but the "reasoning" here is idiotic and ignorant of context. I don't mean this any particular way by Broadway is an incredibly Jewish institution and if white supremacists targeted any work with Jewish themes they'd have to buy property in the theatre district to justify the commute. Leo Frank is a particular obsession of neo-nazis and has been for 100 years. In turn they have a very big thing about Parade because it definitively takes the stance that he was innocent. This is not just another Jewish play. As for them not coming back, nobody has ever accused neo-nazis of being committed to anything beyond their hatred. They got their press for the year and went about their business as they tend to do.

MezzoDiva47
#25Protesters at Suffs tonight
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:03am

probably just a bunch of actors bitter that they werent cast in the show

perhaps instead of tearing down they could be constructive and create

why not write their version of the story they think is more legit and get that produced

nope they took the easy and lazy path

cancel culture is a cancer on our society

Videos