pixeltracker

Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??- Page 2

Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#25re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 3:11pm

Producers of course. Rent I probably will buy as dvd in order to put off the sound...

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#26re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 3:18pm

Most def. RENT. I can't wait to see what they did with it. And there is already a PRODUCERS movie available on dvd and vhs wherever videos are sold. I like the original and hated the cast recording to the show so I doubt I will like it on the big screen.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#27re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 3:28pm

I'm looking forward to:
T H E P R O D U C E R S

I love RENT. Really do. Watching it live the energy jumps out from the stage and is completely infectious. With that said, I don't believe the director, C.Colombus, has the chops to pull something this dynamic. This is the guy who did Harry Potter and Miss Doubtfire. They should have gone with a director who understands the urban street sceen a little more... like SPIKE LEE... or ALFONSO CUARON (y tu mama tambien) to get the grittyness and passion of the story. Columbus is too Sesame Street for the project. I'm afraid with Chris at the helm the movie is going to tank.

Having never seen the orginal show on broadway I'm glad they got most of the cast to reprise their role for the screen.

The Producers have an advantage. It's a comedy, so it's easier to suspend reality and have the characters sing and dance. It's not a deep show...nothing to be learned about the human spirit, so it's just fun. This movie will have a broader appeal for all age groups. Many older people remember when the original first came out and have hailed it as one of Mel's best work. Whereas RENT mostly appeals to a certain age group and personality type...generally speaking.

I would be looking forward to RENT if only done by a different director. Updated On: 3/7/05 at 03:28 PM

sharkgirl100
#28re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 4:06pm

i'm looking forward to Rent because i love the show very much and i think that it should do pretty good. i just hope that Columbus dosen't ruin it for the Rentheads.

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#29re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 4:23pm

ah... both very much! i like rent the musical better (but i LOVE the producers), but i'm less scared about the producers, because as other people mentioned, it would be more easily made into a film...
i'm anxious for both to be released!

ashley0139
#30re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 4:28pm

The correct answer (for me) would be RENT. Although I truly hope that they don't totally screw it up!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#31re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:21pm

I have to say Rent, it's my second favorite Broadway show of all time. And...the OBC captured on non-bootleg film forever and ever...and I can watch again and again and again...And yes I agree with apprehensiveness towards the film, for uhh the same reason as most others, but I just don't think with the OBC so actively involved with the process, at least that's how Anthony has been making it seem, that it can be that bad, even with the director. Rent is rent, and it will be enjoyable. I am looking forward to the Producers as well, but definitely Rent. Hmmm...I saw POTO, tied for my 4th fav show 7 times in the theater...who wants to guess how much I will end up watching Rent in theaters?

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#32re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:25pm

Rent, except for Rosario Dawson as MImi, I look forward to seeing the origonal cast, seeingas I was seven when it premiered. The producers is already a movie (from 196re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To?? while is brilliant. I'm not too fond of Uma Thurman. We'll just have to see...

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#33re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:34pm

i am really looking foward to rent much more than the producers. REnt is much more special to me plus i love the original producers (the non-musical movie). Sure rent is more risky than the other but i see it becoming a disater. who knows though.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#34re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:39pm

Definitely Rent...how can you go wrong with the original cast. Whereas The Producers...how can you go RIGHT with Matthew Broderick?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#35re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:39pm

RENT!!!! The Producers sux and the movie will suck too...becuz the it has a terrible script...and it was tacky.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ashley0139
#36re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 8:00pm

well, muscle, why don't you tell us how you really feel. re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 8:39pm

The Producers since I cared not a whit for RENT

I hope they do not screw it up

Poster Emeritus

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#38re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 9:01pm

The first time I saw the original Producers movie, I almost laughed myself sick. The new version will have to be awfully good to overcome the memory of the original for anyone who's seen it. That said, it will probably be enjoyable on some level.

I'm looking forward to Rent much more because I never saw the original cast, some of whom I've come to love, and am fascinated by the challenges putting this show on film presents.

mollyllom Profile Photo
mollyllom
#39re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:20pm

Rent definetely. It's one thing to remake a movie (as in the Producers) but it's another hting to remake a musical of an already existing movie. In my opinion, the movie is not nearly old enough to remake, but since they're making a movie of the Broadway version of the movie, it might be different. Still, I love the original film...so I don't really care about the new version.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=13865158 please =D

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#40re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:21pm

Well, I think The Producers is more likely to be pleasing. As others have said, it'll translate onto film well. Mel Brooks certainly knows what he's doing. It should be fun/funny, and I'll be really surprised if I don't at least enjoy it.

However, as much as I do love The Producers, Rent is one of my favorite shows EVER. Which means that I will be more critical of it, of course, but that if I like it, I'll probably like it much better.

I guess I'm looking forward to The Producers more b/c I have no apprehensions about it, whereas for the Rent movie I'm very frightened. Anthony Rapp qualms my fears whenever he posts, but in between those, I'm frightened...

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#41re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:22pm

rent.. i'm probably the newest fan since i only saw it for the 1st time 2 weeks ago

::bust a move::

Becky
#42re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:40pm

Rent. Not even a close call.

However, I'm thrilled that more musical movies are being produced, so I'm actually looking forward to both.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#43re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:21pm

The Producers but i am more excited for Hairspray.
Hoping that Harvey is Edna and Vilanch is Mrs Baltimore Crabs.
Oh and Kerry Butler is Penny. Jackie Hoffman is her Mother and the gym coach and the prison guard. That women is the funniest woman alive. Except for Christine Pedi of course.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#44re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:26pm

The Producers, not interested in the fairytale where AIDS is magically cured.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#45re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:41pm

"The Producers, not interested in the fairytale where AIDS is magically cured."

The assumption is that she'll only live a little longer.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#46re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:42pm

Rent all the way baby!

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#47re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:47pm

"the fairytale where AIDS is magically cured."

Nothing is cured in Rent. It's made perfectly obvious and clear that Mimi and Roger and Collins are dying, and that Angel has already died as a result of AIDS. What about that is magical/fairytalelike? Aside from the Mimi-coming-back bit, which has very little effect on her life span, more than likely.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

Over_the_Moon
#48re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:56pm

I'm kind of just repeating a few other people here, but...
I'm more anticipating RENT, but I'm more excited for the Producers. Definately having doubts about how the RENT movie is going to come out... it's almost impossible (in my humble opinion) to screw up the Producers.
If for some odd reason, I could only see one, it'd have to be RENT.

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#49re: Rent or The Producers? Which Movie Are You Most Looking Forward To??
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:58pm

Lael, I definitely agree... while AIDS is not cured in the show, RENT shows much more realistic stories of struggling artists. It also is much more personal, yet AIDS kills most of them anyway...

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

Videos