Favorite Sondheim

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#25re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 7:34pm

Picking your favorite Sondheim show is like picking your favorite child!

'though for me it's a three way tie between "Follies" "Sweeney Todd" and "Sunday in the Park with George"

If you played them for someone who didn't know Sondheim, they would not believe that the same person wrote them.

And that, my friends, is genius.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

lilprima2b Profile Photo
lilprima2b
#26re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 7:40pm

Sweeney Todd and Assassins

"Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!"

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#27re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 7:42pm

Gypsy
Into The Woods
Sweeney Todd
Sunday In The Park With George

Isabella2
#28re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 7:53pm

Original Passion
Sweeney Revival

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#29re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 8:06pm

Sunday in the Park...With George of course. Can't forget George.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#30re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 8:12pm

Sweeney Todd is the masterpiece of Broadway. Company was also amazing though.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#31re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 9:10pm

Sweeney Todd is the best of broadway, it is the best EVER!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#32re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 9:23pm

Sweeney Todd. Without a doubt.

My favorite cast: Current Broadway Revival.

Runner Up- Original Cast of Company.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Amysings
#33re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 9:38pm

I love "Passion"

~ When I sing, I am taken to a place where nothing can harm me, God is there and life is just blissful. ~ AEF

~ When I sing, I am taken to a place where nothing can harm me, God is there and life is just blissful. ~ AEF

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#34re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 9:41pm

1.SWEENEY TODD
2.COMPANY
3.INTO THE WOODS
4.ASSASSINS

catharsis Profile Photo
catharsis
#35re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 10:17pm

Though I thoroughly enjoy all of Sondheim's work, Sweeney Todd is my favorite. The revival has certainly had that concrete in my mind. It's a masterpiece.
I do have a soft spot for Pacific Overtures, though (not sure why).

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#36re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 11:20pm

Sunday in the Park With George

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#37re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:21am

I am listening to Pacific Overtures and I could kick myself for missing it a few years ago.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#38re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:34am

Sweeney Todd
Assassins
Sunday in the Park With George
Company
A Little Night Music
Into the Woods

Sweeney will always be my favorite, but Assassins holds a special place in my heart for being my first Sondhiem.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"
Updated On: 6/22/06 at 12:34 AM

timote316
#39re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:35am

My favorites flip flop like the weather: Sweeney or Assassins.

ChrisLK
#40re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:16am

Sunday in the Park with George, unquestionably. I do have an affection for Into the Woods, especially Last Midnight. Outside of those two, the Sondheim I like most depends on what kind of mood I'm in, and what I've listened to most recently.

"I could use a little... Miracle." ~SWIWS

LostLeander
#41re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 3:55am

Sunday, Sweeney, ALMN, ITW, Company, I think are perfect shows. I mean, it's impossible to have a perfect show, but these come as close as possible.

Sondheim shows also have the distinction, in my mind, to pick the PERFECT original cast. Everyone knows EXACTLY where they fit in, and the show is PERFECTION. Revivals of Sondheim shows are hard for me, because the original productions were generally PERFECT.

Anywho, Sunday is my favorite. I think.
That really depends on the day though.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#42re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 4:06am

It's so hard to decide. I love Sweeney, Assassins (I saw it four times when my school did it), Into the Woods, and Company.

I HATE Follies.

Ghosthost999
#43re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 4:47am

My favorite by far is Sweeney Todd. I really like most of his stuff except Into The Woods, easily one of my least favorite shows. It's a decent enough show but right around when we get to Children Will Listen, I have no clue what the hell i'm watching. If we could cut that damn song I would like it too.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#44re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 8:36am

INTO THE WOODS... I love the songs SEND IN THE CLOWNS and NOT WHILE I'M AROUND. PASSION is pretty great, too.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Urban
#45re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 9:27am

Sweeney Todd and Assassins with Into the Woods third.

Pity I cannot count Gypsy.

sondwisenheimer Profile Photo
sondwisenheimer
#46re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 9:31am

I truly find that different shows of his manage to be my favorites depending on what I'm experiencing in my life at any specific time.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#47re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 9:49am

Sweeney Todd, it's brilliant.

Sunday in the Park with George is a REALLY close second.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Teeny Todd Profile Photo
Teeny Todd
#48re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 9:56am

Sweeney Todd is my favorite, absolutely. I'm currently infatuated with the Revival cast, such a talented bunch. OBC is still essential, though.

icantbelive
#49re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 6/22/06 at 10:07am

Sunday In the Park has everything. Incredible cast, incredible story and incredible set. So I'm going with Sunday.

Videos