pixeltracker

110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07- Page 2

110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#25re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 9:04am

I believe you are wrong Sidneybruhl. there are categories A CHORUS LINE and LES MIZ cannot be nominated but Best Revival is not one of them.
A CHORUS LINE is a major contender, it is an excellent Revival.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#26re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 9:49am

Did they keep the gorgeous overture? One of my favorites from that era, big, emotional, and thrilling.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

husk_charmer
#27re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:08am

SidneyBruhl-
The only categories "Chorus Line" and "Les Miz" are not allowed to be nominated for, are design, choreography and direction. However, revival is available to them.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:12am

See it in a few weeks & really looking forward to it

Hopefully they will record it but have the original if they do not. I alwats liked this score & the 6 or so cut songs I have heard from it

Poster Emeritus

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#29re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:38pm

I was there last night as well--and it was beautiful. The show itself, overall, was great! The set and lighting were incredible! Audra, as always, was amazing...but the orchestra drowned her out a bit sometimes...and I think they might need to putter around with the balance. The ensemble was SOLID! The father and two brothers were also amazing (my favorite, of course, being the youngest-he's adorable). But, besides those three men, the other principle men (file and starbuck) disappointed me a lot. Acting wise, they were great...but neither had voices that were that great or appropriate for the roles. I kept wanting them to just like let loose and SING!!!! but...they did not. I felt as if they were holding back a little bit.

either way, I think everyone ought to see this show if they have a chance. it's gorgeous!

tony wise....audra, the show itself, the set, and the lighting will surely get noms....but I still think ebersole has it in the bag.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#30re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:26pm

Hope you're right about Ebersole. She was AWESOME last night. I had goosebumps all over my arms! She just was dead on. I've seen this show 11 times now and last night was special. It was magical to say the least. Everyone was dead on and Christine Ebersole was phenomenal (when isn't she terrific in this? I know, I always say how great she was. But this was extraordinary. Guess the vacation was a good thing. Now, she should get her Tony.)

As for 110, I am not an avid fan of the music itself. I like the play, "The Rainmaker" and adore the film with Burt Lancaster and Katherine Hepburn. But, the score does little for me and I'm not sure it's one of those plays that should have been made into a musical. We'll see...maybe I'll check it out.
Interesting reviews, though.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#31re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:28pm

sidney: You're wrong.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#32re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 2:35pm

bwaygal1: Dear, this thread is about 110 IN THE SHADE, not Christine Ebersole and GREY GARDENS. We know, we know, we know.

And your reservations about THE RAINMAKER being musicalized are a little late - it was written in 1963, long before you had anything to say about it. And since the show has given many people a lot of pleasure over the years, you may be in the minority on that point.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Roger246 Profile Photo
Roger246
#33re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 2:56pm

Great review!

Do you guys think there is any chance that this show will extend, I might be going to NY in November. Or is it for sure going to close before then?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#34re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 3:10pm

If it gets stellar reviews, it may extend a few weeks, but certainly not through November. I'm sure Audra has other commitments scheduled.

MungoGypsy8232
#35re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 3:21pm

Great reviews! I may be going up to NY in June, but I'm not sure what I might be seeing if I do. Who's covering the roles, because with my luck I'll go and see it with every understudy?

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#36re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 4:05pm

i hope this isnt too stupid of a question, but is this like a happy musical? i dont know, i want to rush a show for my birthday, and just want to see something with upbeat songs (not too many slow ballads), and just like excitement. and you know, interesting sets and stuff.
i dont know, it sounds great, but im just wondering

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#37re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 4:09pm

It is listed as a "strictly" limited enegagement, so the chances of an extention are slim (not to mention Audra's busy schedule.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#38re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 5:16pm

I just got back, and I'm pretty sure what I just saw will win the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical. It was thrilling to see that the production is in nearly flawless shape so early in its run. For the first time in a while I NEVER looked at my watch once during the entire performance, and when it was over, I could've watched it again from the beginning.

Audra McDonald is doing the best work of her career as Lizzie Curry. Gone are her mannerisms and refinements, and there was no trace of Juilliard trained soprano Audra McDonald. There was just Lizzie Curry: plainspoken, tough and in pain.

Audra was born to sing this music. From her first number, the gorgeous "Love, Don't Turn Away", to the best "Is It Really Me?" I've ever heard, everything sounded pitch perfect. She provided formidable support for Christopher Innvar during "A Man and a Woman", and ferociously matched Steve Kazee step for step during "You're Not Fooling Me". You'll be wiping sweat off your brow after her breathless, forceful "Old Maid". Ebersole has competition now.

Kazee is the only cast member that still has a way to go. He has a beautiful voice, but I often didn't believe him as Starbuck. He was underpowering in the first act, rushing through "The Rain Song". It's a fast song, but he was running through it and dropping words left and right. He got better in the second act and delivered a commanding "Melisande", but I was expecting more. I'm sure he'll get better as previews move forward.

The ensemble is among the best on Broadway right now. Innvar makes a great File; John Cullum, Bobby Steggert and Chris Butler were terrific as the Currys, and Carla Duren was a scene-stealing Snookie. Paul Gemignani led a fantastic band.

Finally, I have to say that while I love experimental reimaginings of classic shows (a la John Doyle and the like), it can often be so refreshing to just hear a beautiful score performed the way it was intended to be.

Get thee to Studio 54. I know I'll be back.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Mike3 Profile Photo
Mike3
#39re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 5:18pm

Just saw the matinee. This production is charming, and Audra is wonderful. Wonderful.

It's so nice to have you back where you belong.

WithoutATrace
#40re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 5:51pm

I'm so glad this show is getting such positive buzz! Can't wait to see it again.

Papa_Burgundy_NY Profile Photo
Papa_Burgundy_NY
#41re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 6:09pm

oh, I am soo excited to see it on the 21st. I've never seen Audra on stage and to see her in what is being described as such a beautiful production just gives me goosebumps!! I'm sure I'll fall even more in love with that voice of hers re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#42re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 6:14pm

I also saw the matinee today. It was absolutely wonderful. Finally Roundabout has got a knock-out performance on their hands. All of the actors were strong and the set and lighting were absolutely gorgeous. Audra is Ebersole's only competition, and will most definitely win all of the other awards that Ebersole is ineligible for. It is so refreshing to finally see a strong production of a classic style musical. While I love Spring Awakening, A Chorus Line, and Grey Gardens, this was the highlight of the season for me. If it doesn't win Best Revival, I will be REALLY surprised.

WithoutATrace
#43re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 6:17pm

I hope Audra does "Raunchy" on the Tony Awards!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#44re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 6:18pm

Me too, WAT. She delivers it flawlessly.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#45re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 6:19pm

SUCH a good number! Although I really loved "Simple Little Things" too, and "Old Maid" and of course "Love, Don't Turn Me Away". She is SOOO talented.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#46re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 6:36pm

I didn't think it was possible, but now I am even more excited to see this than I already was! re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#47re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 6:38pm

I stand corrected, but having seen "A Chorus Line" I don't think it deserves to win best revival. Wish I could see "110 in the Shade" as I'm sure it will be excellent.

Also...

Munkustrap: You're rude.

Mattbrain
#48re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 6:45pm

I didn't know Christopher Innvar was in this show. Now I'm super-pissed that I may not be able to see this.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

WithoutATrace
#49re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/14/07 at 8:05pm

When Audra was signing my CD cover of MARIE CHRISTINE last night, she mentioned that Christopher Innvar was supposed to play the role of Dante Keyes instead of Anthony Crivello...anyone know what happened?

Videos