Eleven O'clock numbers

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#25re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:53pm

We Beseech Thee- Godspell
I love to cry at Weddings- Sweet Charity
Shipoopi- The Music Man

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#26re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:59pm

Betrayed- Producers

That's a good song.

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#27re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:03pm

How Lucky Can You Get?- Funny Lady (Film)

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#28re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:32pm

I always thought No Good Deed was the one from Wicked, not For Good.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#29re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:46pm

It's funny, because I think about 11 o'clock numbers as the time in the show where a song comes begins and you think back to listening to a recording and you think to yourself "oh no, the show's almost over!"

Tom148502
#30re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:55pm

"An Eleven O'Clock Song' from ANKLES AWEIGH

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#31re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:41pm

My vote for No Good Deed too! Also I think the song Light in the Piazza is the 11 o'clock number

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#32re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:57pm

Would "As If We Never Said Goodbye" (from "Sunset Boulevard")count as an 11 o'clock number? If anything, it's one of the two Andrew Lloyd Webber "arias"... the other one being "With One Look." from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#33re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:05am

Someone mentioned that "I Confess" was Footloose's 11 o'clock, which I certainly agree with. But since they've cut that out of the "new and improved" version of the show, I guess it no longer has an 11 o'clock.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#34re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:06am

"Shipoopi" and "The Light in the Piazza" come at the top of their respective show's second act. I don't know if they can be considered eleven o'clock numbers.

~Steven

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#35re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:22am

I would have thought "Nowadays" would have been Chicago's not "Razzle Dazzle".

"She's My Love" - Carnival
"Gimmie, Gimmie" - Thoroughly Modern Millie
"A Change in Me" - Beauty and the Beast

The_Jackal Profile Photo
The_Jackal
#36re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:08am

One of my personal favorite 11 o'clock numbers is "Dirty Rotten Number" from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. :)

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#37re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:25am

I don't really think of musicals that have been "influnced by Sondheim" as having "Eleven O'Clock numbers". You get songs like "Being Alive" and "Rose's Turn" because the character has come to the point of catharsis in the story. Had "Marry Me a Little" or "Happily Ever After" remained in "Being Alive"'s place, would you have said that they were "Eleven O'Clock numbers"?

"I'm Going Back" from "Bells Are Ringing" is a classic example. Judy Holiday told the writers when the show was out of town that she wanted a big song at the end of the show, or she might not come in with it. So, Comden and Green took a look at their book and picked out one of Holiday's biggest laugh lines and build a song around it.

That's the type of old-fashioned thinking that gets us "Eleven O'Clock numbers".

The modern shows that have "real" ones are the old-fashioned shows like "Hairspray" ("You Can't Stop the Beat") and "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" ("Dirty Rotten Number").

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

dramaboy27
#38re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:31am

The 11 oclock in CAROLINE OR CHANGE is probably Lots Wife now but Salty Tear Drops was intended to be.

bwayguy22089
#39re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:08am

Shipoopi actually, from The Music Man, is not an 11 o'clock number. The movie versions do it differently, but that song is actually the second number in Act Two on stage. Just puttin that out there re: Eleven O'clock numbers.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#40re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:41am

What would you consider the 11 o'clock number in Piazza be, I don't think the finale really is in my opinion, I still think Light could be the 11 o'clock maybe not in the sense of where it fits but the character change and sense of change that makes it the 11 o'clock but I guess I could see Fable as it as well....

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#41re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 4:16am

Could The Beauty Is (Reprise) be 11 o'clock number? One of my all-time favorites is Last Midnight from ITW.

Urban
#42re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 5:07am

I was always told 11 o'clock numbers normaly harked back to the theme and sounds of the first act (which normally where peppier) then the second actor (which where often a little bit more dour), and often they could feel out of place.

Similar to "Beggers at the Feast" in Les Miserable.

Gothampc
#43re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:02am

"Would "As If We Never Said Goodbye" (from "Sunset Boulevard")count as an 11 o'clock number?"

In some cases, ALW is a bit hard to decipher. I think "As If..." comes too early in Act 2. I think "Too Much in Love to Care" is more the 11:00 number.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#44re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:16am

The Best Of Times - La Cage
Shall We Dance - The King And I
Cabaret - Cabaret
Funny - City Of Angels

....but the world goes 'round

husk_charmer
#45re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:40am

I would have said that "I Know Where I've Been" is the 11 O'clock for Hairspray.

So do the writers.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#46re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:28pm

someone mentioned is anybody there from 1776. I was always under the impression that Molasses to Rum was the "11 oclock" number for that show.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Tom148502
#47re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:44pm

Given some of the very odd suggestions, people ought to know that there is not an eleven o'clock number in every musical, nor was there intended to be. A show-stopping number is rarely an eleven o'clock number.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#48re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:50pm

I think for Sunday in the Park With George it's Move On. (It could be argued that Children and Art is but I guess I thought Move On was.)

Grey Gardens-"Another Winter in a Summer Town"
I tend to think others include "Shall We Dance" from "The King and I", "No Good Deed" from "Wicked" and the reprise of "New Ways to Dream" from "Sunset Boulevard" (yes, I think a reprise can be an 11 o'clock number.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.
Updated On: 3/11/08 at 12:50 PM

puppetman2
#49re: Eleven O'clock numbers
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:08pm

I think many posters have the wrong idea of an 11 o'clock number. It is supposed to be the big number at the END of a show usually for the star. A number in the middle of an act is NOT and never will be an 11 o'clock number.

Some of the numbers mentioned are certainly memorable and may be what are most remembered like Schapoopi (sp?) but are not 11 o'clockers. Neither is "Shall We Dance" even though it is probably the most important number in King and I.

Many shows do not have an 11 o'clock song simply because it does not fit the structure of the show. Carnival has a beautiful speech where Paul, the puppeteer, reveals how is is each of the puppets, but She's My Love is not the 11 o'clock type song.

When posting, don't think of your favorites or most exciting number from a show, think of the true meaning of "11 o'clock" number

It Sucks To Be Me
Updated On: 3/12/08 at 01:08 PM

Videos