News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 21

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

Dollypop
#500BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 1:51am

It's a good guess that the closing notice will be posted soon.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

TheOnlyOne2
#501BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:02am

BorisTomashevsky said: "According to David Cote: “The fact that Genao is a poor actor with a grating, nasal voice, and negative comic timing makes Cinderellalessappealing than the gyrating cartoons around her.”

There’s no coming back from that.
"

I mean I didn't care for her but I would NEVER say such a thing in publication. That's just foul. I hope she never reads that trash. She's a talented performer, this role just wasn't good for her which was caused by a multitude of reasons. Reviewers need to do better and stop tearing down performers. 

BorisTomashevsky
#502BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:05am

Dollypop said: "It's a good guess that the closing notice will be posted soon."

I wouldn’t be surprised if the company is informed  by Sunday. Unless the producer (not ALW specifically) wants to keep burning money just to say she’s associated with a Lloyd Webber musical.

BossBroadway
A Director
#504BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:13am

What a blood bath. The show should have never crossed the pond.  It's sad the actors were  given little to work with. Pop rock musicals are out of style. Too bad ALW didn't get the message. Mickey Joe's next video about the show will be funny and awkward.  Will BC close the same day as POTO does?

BossBroadway
#505BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:17am

I also don't really see it closing too soon. A show hasn't closed because of reviews alone in a very long time. Their advance sales are too great, but they're not awful either. Most Broadway shows' advance sales are only good about a week or two in advance now. If Some Like It Hot has been able to hold it out, I fully believe Bad Cinderella can too. People will still go and see this show as they have during previews, regardless of what the reviews say, for the most part. We all knew it wouldn't get great reviews, so most people have gone to just go have a fun time. Sales will pick up during the summer with tourism. It's one of those shows that will truly rely on tourism to survive, unlike, say, Kimberly Akimbo or Dancin'. 

Dolly80
#506BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:22am

I have zero sympathy for the creatives involved in this fiasco. They’ve had YEARS to improve this mess, and they haven’t. I’m sorry for the poor cast who I’m sure have worked their asses off to polish this turd and this is the result.

This is what happens when you get a composer who calls all the shots including hiring a director who has no power of vision or status to grab the show by the balls and make the brutal cuts/changes necessary to turn it round.

A hugely expensive folly all round. 

BorisTomashevsky
#507BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:29am

“A costly mistake.”

A Director
#508BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:35am

BossBroadway said: "I also don't really see it closing too soon. A show hasn't closed because of reviews alone in a very long time. Their advance sales are too great, but they're not awful either. Most Broadway shows' advance sales are only good about a week or two in advance now. If Some Like It Hot has been able to hold it out, I fully believe Bad Cinderella can too. People will still go and see this show as they have during previews, regardless of what the reviews say, for the most part. We all knew it wouldn't get great reviews, so most people have gone to just go have a fun time. Sales will pick up during the summer with tourism. It's one of those shows that will truly rely on tourism to survive, unlike, say, Kimberly Akimbo or Dancin'."

Ticket prices these days are though the roof.  There are better shows running that are good and give the audience a good time.  Why waste money on this dreck?

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#509BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:50am

Jordan Catalano wrote “Did you see “Stephen Ward”, though?”

I saw STEPHEN WARD in London and it did have that one nice ALW ballad, “This Side of the Sky”…

BossBroadway
#510BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:53am

Bad Cinderella's ticket prices are really pretty reasonable, even when they go up in like two weeks. Look at New York, New York, for example. Those ticket prices are completely outrageous and I can almost guarantee they're gonna avoid true discounts. If Bad Cinderella can keep their capacity at 85% or higher and get an average ticket price up to $85 or higher they can break even until the summer buzz hits. This show won't last long, but it's not going to close before June, and I really think it'll run through the summer. 

OhHiii
#511BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 6:11am

BossBroadway said: "Bad Cinderella's ticket prices are really pretty reasonable, even when they go up in like two weeks. Look at New York, New York, for example. Those ticket prices are completely outrageous and I can almost guarantee they're gonna avoid true discounts. If Bad Cinderella can keep their capacity at 85% or higher and get an average ticket price up to $85 or higher they can break even until the summer buzz hits. This show won't last long, but it's not going to close before June, and I really think it'll run through the summer."

Their capacity has only been as high as it is thanks to papering. That well runs dry very quickly after previews. I would wager they’ll hang on until nominations and close right after receiving one or two by default.

The Scorpion
#512BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 6:46am

Jordan Catalano said: "When was that quote from? (Just wondering). And i saw LND also in London and thought it was…fine. Some gorgeous music in it.

Did you see “Stephen Ward”, though?
"

It's not as terrible as Paint Never Dries. But even Stephen Ward, which I disliked, was better than this. This critical reaction was entirely predictable, and no-one at ALW's offices should be surprised. 

Probably not a great idea for ALW to have attacked David Hare this week for "professional disasters" when this was all about to unfold...

Perhaps the one good thing that *might* come out of it (though unlikely) is that ALW finally stops using Laurence Connor. Several of the reviews have highlighted his incompetent direction.

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 06:46 AM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#513BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:01am

Connor’s direction of the new Australian production of Joseph Dreamcoat was awful as well, in places nearly unwatchable. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#514BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:46am

Just woke up and read the reviews…

OOOOF. I have not seen a critical drubbing like this in years.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Timon3
#515BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 8:39am

The reviews are terrible for good reason.

This got across the board rave reviews in London including the New York Times, as it was the first show to open after the pandemic. So that Reviewers’ are self serving and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

It was never a good show in London.

bwaylvsong1
#516BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 8:50am

Some of these reviews come across as practically bullying- it’s bad form for published criticism and frankly unnerving.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#517BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 8:50am

I honestly think that if the show had a better creative team from the start, as well as more time to develop the show instead of rushing it to the stage, this could’ve been a better musical in my opinion. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#518BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 8:53am

Matt Rogers said: "pmensky said: "Matt Rogers said: "Funny how the usual vultures are in the edge of their seats looking to pounce and gloat over every bad review."

No one here is a vulture. Reviews are recapped and discussed like this for every opening night, and contributors are just acknowledging that everything predicted since the announcement of this show’s transfer has come true. Calling people names for discussing this inevitable outcome seems like an excuse to shake your finger at everyone and fill up some personal, inner void to feel morally superior. Grow up.
"

Hun, clearly you don't know this message board very well. There are dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of vultures here, waiting to pounce and gloat on anything and everything, so don't tell me to grow up sweetie. I've been in this business long before you even thought of joining this board.
"

Exactly. There's a difference between "recapping and discussing reviews" and unadulterated, gleeful schadenfreude.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#519BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 8:58am

Dylan Smith4 said: "I honestly think that if the show had a better creative team from the start, as well as more time to develop the show instead of rushing it to the stage, this could’ve been a better musical in my opinion."

The show had PLENTY of time to be developed, and was in development for years. It wasn't "rushed to the stage". The problems have nothing to do with time, but with the creative team that failed to address the glaring issues with the show from the onset.

Also, these reviews are 100% spot on... The show is REALLY just not good.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#520BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 9:12am

Welp, I called it back when they first did press for this. A complete bomb for the season. Shame on ALW for not trying to fix this before it arrived. Does this show have any chance at any Tony nominations? Carolee?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JasonC3
#521BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 9:15am

It is interesting to now go and read reviews of the London production in contrast:

https://www.westendtheatre.com/90650/news/reviews/cinderella-at-the-gillian-lynne-theatre-reviews-round-up/

PipingHotPiccolo
#522BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 9:21am

1. somewhat deranged to expect no one to discuss the opening night reviews of a multi million dollar production because the composer's going through a tough personal time with his family. there was zero personal attacks on ALW here. 

2. the reviews were as disastrous as word of mouth predicted, but i have to say reading them.... makes me sort of want to see this. its almost as if now that its cemented as ridiculous incompetence, i could enjoy it? There seems to be unanimous praise for 2-3 of the songs. When tickets are cheap, I might actually go. 

3. as fair as i thought these reviews were (and while Jesse Green's took a weird turn at the end, I thought he was totally professional), David Cote's take-down of the poor leading lady was over the top nasty. 

goodlead
#523BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 9:34am

Amid all the bad-mouthing  of the show itself, where are the apparently obligatory notes of sympathy for the hard-working cast and crew?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#524BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 9:42am

Although Jesse Green barely mentions her in his review, I thought Linedy and her characterization were the biggest issues with the show. I don't blame her, though. Like Beanie, she should never have been hired in the first place. Watching video of the London production and Carrie Hope Fletcher's performance, I can understand why the reviews were positive over there, but, with the wrong actress in the lead, the show doesn't have a fighting chance.

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 09:42 AM

Videos