News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 20

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#475BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:12am

Jordan Catalano said: "NYTimes “Bad Cinderella - The Title Warned Us”"

And there it is!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#476BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:13am

What’s pretty infuriating is that a lot of negativity from the critics is pointing out things people have been saying for 2 years now. Social media/message boards etc can be a life saving and valuable tool for people putting up a show. It gives a real-time look at what is and what is not working in your show and if you decide to ignore those things that people - YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS are saying, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. 

Laurapattifan Profile Photo
Laurapattifan
#477BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:14am

Poor Carolee. Always the shining moment in dull show. 

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#478BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread

At least Grace McLean and Carolee Carmello got good notices across the board.

Alas, the rest of the show not so much. Not all that surprised; nothing in it screamed critical darling even if I found the show to be fun.

Will admit, I'm surprised the Times went for the laziest headline of the bunch. laugh

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#479BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread

One star from the NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2023/03/24/bad-cinderella-broadway-review-a-wacko-dumpster-fire/

"‘Bad Cinderella’ review: A wacko storybook dumpster fire on Broadway"

MattieIce2018
#480BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread

NY Stage Review is negative: https://nystagereview.com/2023/03/23/bad-cinderella-a-musical-that-turns-into-a-pumpkin/

"So relentlessly vulgar and campy that it would make Ron DeSantis’ head explode (now there’s a pull quote), Bad Cinderella is the sort of terrible show whose defenders would describe it as “fun,” as if anyone looking for genuine quality in a Broadway musical for which tickets costs hundreds of dollars is a cranky spoilsport."

Jordan Catalano
#481BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:16am

msmp said: "Will admit, I'm surprised the Times went for the laziest headline of the bunch.”

Doesn’t surprise me at all. Jesse Green wrote it.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#482BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:18am

Honestly, good for Emerald Fennell. I have to imagine any actual changes were denied by ALW/the producing team. She realized it was better to just let someone else deal with his ego.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#483BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:19am

From NYT: "Finally, a Cinderella for streetwalkers and gym rats!"

That at least gave me a chuckle.

The show is well resourced but terrible, which frustrates me to no end.  I liked some of the design elements and supporting characters and thought it was expertly mic'd - but the story just didn't work and the main plot line meandered and failed to connect.  

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 12:19 AM

TaffyDavenport
#484BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:19am

So weird to see the word "vulgar" used about the show. I guess my sense of humor is in the gutter, because it was way less off-color than I was expecting.

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 12:19 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#485BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:20am

TaffyDavenport said: "One star from the NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2023/03/24/bad-cinderella-broadway-review-a-wacko-dumpster-fire/

"‘Bad Cinderella’ review: A wacko storybook dumpster fire on Broadway"
"

Isn't this the same guy who reviewed the London production, which led to ALW allegedly lambasting the West End cast?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#486BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:21am

God, Jesse Green really went for the jugular with this one, basically daring the show to defy the critics and be a success (which he knows it won't be).

Aside from the nice words about Carolee & Grace, perhaps the kindest thing about his review is that he didn't talk about Linedy's performance. The singular quote about her: "a series of effortful numbers Genao sings bravely"

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#487BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:24am

TaffyDavenport said: "So weird to see the word "vulgar" used about the show. I guess my sense of humor is in the gutter, because it was way less off-color than I was expecting."

The closest to off-color I can think of is the joke with the champagne bottle. Unless shirtless men in the Hunks Song/Man's Man sequences is off-color to the reviewers.

To my mind, vulgar implies something much raunchier than we got!

broadfan327
#488BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:26am

It is one thing if you don't like a show, but I thought Jesse ending his review by seemingly criticizing Andrew's financial success on Broadway is in poor taste.

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 12:26 AM

Laurapattifan Profile Photo
Laurapattifan
#489BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:30am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "God, Jesse Green really went for the jugular with this one, basically daring the show to defy the critics and be a success (which he knows it won't be).

Aside from the nice words about Carolee & Grace, perhaps the kindest thing about his review is that he didn't talk about Linedy's performance. The singular quote about her: "a series of effortful numbersGenao sings bravely"
"

Patti LuPone said something like, it’s worse to be ignored than to be trashed. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#490BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:31am

DTLI Consensus: Yes, it really is that Bad.

10 negative (including the NYT), 3 mixed. 

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/bad-cinderella/

Oh look, a bibu!

JasonC3
#491BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:32am

I am reading the use of vulgar to imply one of its other definitions: "lacking in sophistication or good taste."

JaglinSays
#492BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:37am

It is, frankly, a smelly turd of a musical that has no business on Broadway or anywhere else!

TaffyDavenport
#493BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:39am

JasonC3 said: "I am reading the use of vulgar to imply one of its other definitions: "lacking in sophistication or good taste.""

That would make more sense, but the New York Stage Review says that the vulgarity would make Ron Desantis' head explode, which, to me, implies dirty or raunchy.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#494BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:41am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Honestly, good for Emerald Fennell. I have to imagine any actual changes were denied by ALW/the producing team. She realized it was better to just let someone else deal with his ego."

Is that what happened? Most of the reviews praised his music so you’d think he’d want a book that could support the songs which every review seems to comment on. 

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#495BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:49am

Jordan Catalano said: "What’s pretty infuriating is that a lot of negativity from the critics is pointing out things people have been saying for 2 years now. Social media/message boards etc can be a life saving and valuable tool for people putting up a show. It gives a real-time look at what is and what is not working in your show and if you decide to ignore those things that people - YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS are saying, then you have nobody to blame but yourself."

It’s really amazing that they’ve had all this time and feedback, not to mention the opportunity to mount a whole new production, and all they’ve done is some paltry tinkering here and there.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#496BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:51am

Laurapattifan said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "God, Jesse Green really went for the jugular with this one, basically daring the show to defy the critics and be a success (which he knows it won't be).

Aside from the nice words about Carolee & Grace, perhaps the kindest thing about his review is that he didn't talk about Linedy's performance. The singular quote about her: "a series of effortful numbersGenao sings bravely"
"

Patti LuPone said something like, it’s worse to be ignored than to be trashed.
"

I made the joke to a friend who hadn't seen the show that these reviews read to me like that famous exchange in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie: "You are without a doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of." "Ah, but you have heard of me!"

In some ways, any press is good press.

Owen22
#497BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 1:03am

Jordan Catalano said: "So this is obviously going to be the next show that everybody here instinctively decides to hate and trash, no matter if they see it and like it, or even see it at all.

Personally, I don’t really care because I got no skin in this game but I actually enjoyed this one each time I’ve seen it and hope that people (whether they’re too prideful to admit it publicly because it’s cooler to hate) find things in it to enjoy, too. It’s nowhere near ALW’s best work but it’s also miles away from his worst.
"

Oh no. I beg to differ. In my opinion it is EASILY his worst! And I've seen Love Never Dies!

Jordan Catalano
#498BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 1:10am

When was that quote from? (Just wondering). And i saw LND also in London and thought it was…fine. Some gorgeous music in it. 

Did you see “Stephen Ward”, though? 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#499BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 1:38am

It’s not unexpected, but I just want to say to the cast, crew, orchestra, and everyone working on the show daily, happy opening night! 

Enjoy the ride, have fun, congrats on being a working and paid individual in theatre. 

Videos