Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 22

Unpopular opinions you hold

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#525Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/28/16 at 12:13pm

-The Visit was boring.

-Ivo Van Hove is extremely overrated.

-Allegiance was a fantastic show with a great book and several performances that should be recognized. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#526Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/28/16 at 1:54pm

The re-imagined new CRUCIBLE is nearly a total waste of time (excepting for the work of those noble actors persevering through the muck), suggesting Emperor Van Hove really may have no clothes after all.

The new SHE LOVES ME seems to have patterned it's approach to playing comedy after sitcom classics of subtlety like Laverne and Shirley and Married With Children. Cartoon sets, cartoon choreography and cartoon performances up and down the line. Why?

Randomlink1
#527Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/28/16 at 4:17pm

-Despite loving Sydney Lucas, I would've wanted for Judy Kuhn to win over her.

-I don't think Sunday in the Park with George deserved the Pulitzer.

-As much as I do like the music in Hamilton, and it is something that grows on you, and it's certainly a story that is something fresh, with the focus on the immigrants who built America being the main element, I don't think any show deserves to be praised as the best thing ever, and I don't like people who are obsessed with it.

-I think Wicked gets a lot of hate, and while I do think that it has a very corny book, it doesn't deserve the hate it gets so frequently.

-I think The Producers is a fine show, and certainly an enjoyable one, but it isn't really best musical worthy.

-I actually hope Hamilton doesn't win Best Musical, since it's more of a production boost rather than a mark of quality. I'd rather see something else get it, like Tuck Everlasting.

-I don't care if Finding Neverland is good or not, I refuse to give any money to Harvey Weinstein due to how rude and snotty he is. When that musical dropped 700,000 in profits, I said "Good"

-I think Music Man has a terrible libretto

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#528Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/28/16 at 4:22pm

Randomlink1 said: "-I don't care if Finding Neverland is good or not, I refuse to give any money to Harvey Weinstein due to how rude and snotty he is. When that musical dropped 700,000 in profits, I said "Good""

Honestly, you might be in the popular crowd with this one here...

FlySkyHigh
#529Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/28/16 at 4:44pm

I don't understand the obsession with Les Mis. Don't get me wrong, the music is beautiful but it's such a sad and depressing story. I'm glad I saw a Broadway production of it, but once was enough for me. I won't be going back for more.

Randomlink1
#530Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/28/16 at 6:48pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Randomlink1 said: "-I don't care if Finding Neverland is good or not, I refuse to give any money to Harvey Weinstein due to how rude and snotty he is. When that musical dropped 700,000 in profits, I said "Good""

Honestly, you might be in the popular crowd with this one here...

"

It was more of a response to what other people said about it deserving nominations for Best Musical, Best Score, Best Leading Actor, and all of this other stuff.

Honestly, I know I was in the majority there, but it was more of something that I had to respond to people with. Truth be told, I trust critics and the way that they described Finding Neverland makes me cringe. I hate shows that pander to its audiences in the worst possible way.

broadwayboy223
#531Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/28/16 at 7:01pm

Allegiance was a beautiful show in person but when listening to cast album it's pretty bland 

zjb8
#532Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:22am

I adore Lea Michele; I think she is one of Broadway's best and I do not understand all of the hate from this board.

PerfidiousRaoul
#533Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/30/16 at 7:18pm

- Kelli O'Hara deserved her Tony last year! She was awesome in the King and I.

- Hamilton has some great music, but put together it convoluted and hard to follow. I shouldn't need lots of prior knowledge to understand what is happening in a show. I also thought the staging was really boring, but damn the ensemble was incredible.

- The 'America Then Told by America Now' view for casting is a bit pretentious for Hamilton. Excluding only white people seems dumb, and a case of 'reverse-racism'. I don't really understand why the race-angle of Hamilton is so significant... but hey. To each his own.

- Carmen Cusack was wonderful, but the score of Bright Star was annoying and repetitive.

- Ruthie Anne Miles deserved her Tony over the Fun Home ladies, but Ashley Park (Tuptim) deserved it even more.

KODALY
#534Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:57pm

That the recent refusal to license or allow performances of shows in NC and Mississippi hurt the people they intend to help much more than they impact the persons they intend to effect.

Randomlink1
#535Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:32pm

FlySkyHigh said: "I don't understand the obsession with Les Mis. Don't get me wrong, the music is beautiful but it's such a sad and depressing story. I'm glad I saw a Broadway production of it, but once was enough for me. I won't be going back for more.

"

To say that it shouldn't be loved because of it's sad and depressing story isn't true. Many shows have done extremely well with sad and depressing stories, and they're regarded as some of the best musicals of all time. Cabaret, Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd is more of a depressing storyline, Follies is depressing, a lot of Sondheim shows actually are pretty depressing, but they're highly regarded. I don't understand the hype around Les Miserables either, but not because it has a sad storyline.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#536Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/30/16 at 11:47pm

FlySkyHigh said: "I don't understand the obsession with Les Mis. Don't get me wrong, the music is beautiful but it's such a sad and depressing story. I'm glad I saw a Broadway production of it, but once was enough for me. I won't be going back for more.

"

Some people, like me, just LOVE tragedies. I'm BEYOND obsessed with Miss Saigon, and my favorite songs from MS include "I'd Give My Life for You," closing the first act and foreboding Kim's "ultimate sacrifice," and "Sacred Bird" in the original London production and the line "Look at me one last time. Don't forget what you see. One more kiss, and say goodbye" from final numbers in subsequent productions. I don't feel LM is mildly sad or depressing show though, given its really uplifting ending.

FlySkyHigh
#537Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:12am

Randomlink1 said: "FlySkyHigh said: "I don't understand the obsession with Les Mis. Don't get me wrong, the music is beautiful but it's such a sad and depressing story. I'm glad I saw a Broadway production of it, but once was enough for me. I won't be going back for more.

"

To say that it shouldn't be loved because of it's sad and depressing story isn't true. Many shows have done extremely well with sad and depressing stories, and they're regarded as some of the best musicals of all time. Cabaret, Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd is more of a depressing storyline, Follies is depressing, a lot of Sondheim shows actually are pretty depressing, but they're highly regarded. I don't understand the hype around Les Miserables either, but not because it has a sad storyline.

"

I didn't say people shouldn't love it, I just said I don't understand. And while I'm not a huge Sondeim fan either, I can still appreciate his storytelling. I feel like there's always a lesson to be learned or moral of the story, if you will. The only thing I take away from Les Mis is sh*t happens, deal with it....joking, but only slightly. I know there's more to the story, but it just doesn't grab and keep my attention.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#538Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:17am

I damn near took a nap during She Loves Me. That first act is one of the most boring in my memory. 

Beth Malone should've won a Tony. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#539Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 6:56am

Add me to the small list of people who can't bear Hamilton.  Some of the "rhyme" makes my brain vomit.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#540Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 7:03am

KODALY said: "That the recent refusal to license or allow performances of shows in NC and Mississippi hurt the people they intend to help much more than they impact the persons they intend to effect.

"

Hurt and disappoint are entirely different things.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#541Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:40am

starcatchers said: "I damn near took a nap during She Loves Me. That first act is one of the most boring in my memory. 

Beth Malone should've won a Tony. 
"

^ Yup to SLM and Beth. I was so bored during She Loves Me other than whenever Jane was on stage.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#542Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:44am

Shrek is one of the greatest shows within the past 2 decades.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#543Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:50am

^Yes, I suppose that IS an unpopular opinion.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

mollyml052
#544Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:55am

Judging by my Twitter, it is unpopular to think people should dress up a little to go see a Broadway show.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#545Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 11:15am

Not a doubt in my mind that Carmen Cusack should win the Tony over Cynthia Erivo this year (I am aware that she will not). 

Updated On: 5/12/16 at 11:15 AM

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#546Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 11:51am

Hamilton has a brilliant ensemble, but the individual performers, tho very good, aren't necessarilty worthy of the Tony wins they will likely get.  

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#547Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 3:38pm

Jumping on the Hamhate bandwagon, I think HAMILTON will become unbearably dated way more quickly than other "in the now" musicals like RENT or HAIR or COMPANY because it's not set in the present.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

ukmusicalfanatic
#548Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 3:47pm

"Jumping on the Hamhate bandwagon, I think HAMILTON will become unbearably dated way more quickly than other "in the now" musicals like RENT or HAIR or COMPANY because it's not set in the present."

Whilst I definitely agree with you that it'll date fast I think that will be due to changing tastes and styles of music in popular culture rather than its setting. Look at almost all the long running top grossing shows on Broadway at the minute, very very few are set in the present.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#549Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/16 at 6:16pm

Not solely because it's set in the past but because it mixes period setting/costumery with modern vernacular/musical styles.

I have nothing against period pieces (my favourite plays and musicals are all period pieces) or using modern music and styles to tell a story but it is my theory that HAMILTON'S mix of the two, though thrilling and exciting today, may seem more icky in the future. Other musicals that used very modern styles are now treated as period pieces despite being originally set in the present, something that HAMILTON won't be able to do later in life. It'll always be a distinctly early 2000's idea of modernizing the 18th century. 

It's hard to iterate exactly in message board format without seeming rambly.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Updated On: 5/12/16 at 06:16 PM

Videos