pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 25

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

someoneinatree2 Profile Photo
someoneinatree2
#600Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 2:09pm

everythingtaboo said: "Welp, the final nail in the coffin...

Paul Giamatti Boards ‘Star Trek: Starfleet Academy’

Starts filming late this summer.
"

What's John C. Reilly up to these days?

If the casting notice had been different, I would have loved to see Jeffrey Wright and Audra together onstage. 

Musicaldudepeter
#601Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 3:52pm

The latest rumor is that Jon Hamm is in talks for Herbie. But only early negotiations.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#602Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 3:57pm

Jon Hamm is another person who gets offered everything and turns down everything. They're clearly in the "making big reaches" part of the casting process.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#603Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 5:49pm

It just seems to me that Herbie is not a role that most big names would even want to take. It's pretty thankless and it's not even the plum featured role in the show. It would make more sense to get a big name for Louise and then a solid theater name (ie Danny Burstein, etc) for Herbie.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#604Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 6:20pm

My money is on Brian D’Arcy James. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#605Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 7:36pm

The casting notice expressly says they are looking to cast Herbie with a Caucasian actor. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#606Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 7:39pm

I don’t see anybody suggesting actors who aren’t?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#607Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 7:41pm

Yeah, I really feel like this will end up being Brian D'Arcy James or Danny Burstein.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#608Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 7:54pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "Yeah, I really feel like this will end up being Brian D'Arcy James or Danny Burstein."

Or Will Swenson.

Penna2
#609Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 8:39pm

east side story said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "Yeah, I really feel like this will end up being Brian D'Arcy James or Danny Burstein."

Or Will Swenson.
"

Will was my thought, too. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#610Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 10:19pm

They are going to be lucky to get a guy on the level of David Schwimmer or David Hyde Pierce or Jason Alexander or Steve Guttenberg or Tony Shalhoub or Jon Cryer: someone who's either an overexposed semi-name in the theatre world, or is a B-C-lister who needs a comeback. Or they settle for a Reed Birney or Danny Burstein or Will Swenson type.

It's fine for the producers to do their due diligence in offering this to bigger stars but they can only do so many of those before they have to be realistic. You'd be surprised at the better-than-Herbie roles that get turned down by bigger actors every day. 

The length of contract is also something to consider: if they want this dude for 9 months (start of rehearsal through June 30th) or more, that's going to limit the talent pool. If it's a shorter contract, it's not great to lose one of the 3 leads before the Tonys (and yes, I know that has been done before).

Penna2
#611Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:41pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "They are going to be lucky to get a guy on the level of David Schwimmer or David Hyde Pierce or Jason Alexander or Steve Guttenberg or Tony Shalhoub or Jon Cryer: someone who's either an overexposed semi-name in the theatre world, or is a B-C-lister who needs a comeback. Or they settle for a Reed Birney or Danny Burstein or Will Swenson type.

Not that he was an actual suggestion but, David Hyde Pierce is doing Pirates of Penzance starting in April, 2025. As for a Will Swenson type, why not Will? I just see this as novelty casting that could pay off in box office. Why can't Herbie be good-looking?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#612Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:58pm

I say "settle" for a Swenson type because theatre actors are not going to move the needle at the box office, if that is a goal of the production. The masses will not care one bit about this husband and wife performing together (especially not in a show where they don't end up together).

Boq101
#613Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 2:03pm

I reckon WIll himself is probably not available simply because Audra is. They've got 4 kids between them with three still living at home I'm pretty sure that for Audra to do this Will isn't gonna be doing the 8 shows a week grind while it's happening. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#614Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 2:44pm

Will Swenson on his name alone would not really light up the box office, but I do think a savvy PR team could get some prime coverage of this and get the married duo out there in the press so that it becomes a big story that husband and wife are performing together. That could certainly generate some interest. However, I don't expect Audra and Will to want this. When they were in Beautiful Noise and Ohio State Murders at the same time, both of them remarked how difficult it was navigating their home life (their kids) while doing 8 shows a week at the same time.

The investor papers estimate the weekly running cost at about $1 million a week. So producers are determined to get stars. But I think, as others have said, they will have much more luck getting a big box office draw to take on Louise. And they will probably have to go with a big theater name for Herbie. I'd sort of love to see Brian d'Arcy James take it on. He's played more challenging roles for sure, but he would pair nicely with Audra and if this turns into a hit (which I believe it will)  it could be what finally lands him a long overdue Tony win.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#615Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 3:03pm

They should get Scott Bakula for Herbie 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#616Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 3:45pm

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/12/24 at 03:45 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#617Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:02pm

I think it is best we don’t speculate on parenting…

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#618Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:15pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "I think it is best we don’t speculate on parenting…"

It was just an observation on their ages and the possibility. The comment made it sound like the kids were young. I wasn't commenting on their actual parenting. Just suggesting a possibility.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#619Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:28pm

This type of thing has happened before but it would be a little weird to go to Swenson after a bunch of other people said no. Naturally, Audra will have casting approval (or at least consultation), but "honey, we couldn't get anyone bigger to play Herbie, do you want to do it?" doesn't sound quite right ;)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#620Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:37pm

Are people only naming Swenson because he's married to Audra...? Otherwise, I don't think he's particularly right for the role at all.

This is also not really a role that requires a musical theatre veteran and it seems like a waste of the vocal talents of gents like Swenson and D'Arcy James to cast them. We can think outside of the box here- a great actor who can carry a tune is all this role requires.

JSquared2
#621Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:42pm

uncageg said: "Boq101 said: "I reckon WIll himself is probably not available simply because Audra is. They've got 4 kids between them with three still living at home I'm pretty sure that for Audra to do this Will isn't gonna be doing the 8 shows a week grind while it's happening."

If 3 are living at home then two of them are young adults now in their early 20's. They can watch the youngest who is, I think, 8 years old now.

Yes I'm sure they are both so very grateful for your (creepy) parenting advice.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#622Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:54pm

JSquared2 said: "uncageg said: "Boq101 said: "I reckon WIll himself is probably not available simply because Audra is. They've got 4 kids between them with three still living at home I'm pretty sure that for Audra to do this Will isn't gonna be doing the 8 shows a week grind while it's happening."

If 3 are living at home then two of them are young adults now in their early 20's. They can watch the youngest who is, I think, 8 years old now.

Yes I'm sure they are both so very grateful for your (creepy) parenting advice.

Yeah, please stop making this into something it is not. I am a parent myself and am quite offended by your accusation. So let's drop it and move on.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#623Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:56pm

Kad said: "We can think outside of the box here- a great actor who can carry a tune is all this role requires."

I feel like a Rudd or a Ruffalo could score here.

Here's the thing about Herbie. It's the perfect role for someone who hasn't been on stage in a while or ever. Also perfect for someone who has always wanted to do a musical but may be not be fully confident in their voice. And, based on past precedent, you can show up, do some good work and get a Tony nom. It think it's a more attractive role to actors than some realize. I'm not a Herbie, but I'd take the role in a second. Not a lot of hard work for acclaim and awards consideration. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#624Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 5:44pm

Maybe we’ll get Mandy to come back as Herbie. 

Latest Posts

Videos