pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 26

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

MadsonMelo
#625Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 6:10pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "Kad said: "We can think outside of the box here- a great actor who can carry a tune is all this role requires."

I feel like a Rudd or a Ruffalo could score here.

Here's the thing about Herbie. It's the perfect role for someone who hasn't been on stage in a while or ever. Also perfect for someone who has always wanted to do a musical but may be not be fully confident in their voice. And, based on past precedent, you can show up, do some good work and get a Tony nom. It think it's a more attractive role to actors than some realize. I'm not a Herbie, but I'd take the role in a second. Not a lot of hard work for acclaim and awards consideration.
"

I even went checkin' because I thought ALL Herbies got nominated, but Rex Robbins in the Lansbury revival didn't.

He's the only one and Herbie is likely the most nominated male role by next year alongside Herr Schultz with 5 nominations across all acting categories.

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#626Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/12/24 at 6:46pm

If we're spitballing, Scott Bakula and John C. Reilly as Herbie intrigue me but has anyone thought of Ed Norton? Can't believe he's in his mid-50s, where has the time gone? 

Livin'ToDo
#627Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:50am

Lots of comments on casting Herbie and Louise but I'm anxious for the Gimmick trio and  for some theater vets to strut their stuff in those roles.  Carolee Carmello as Mazeppa; Alice Ripley as Electra; J. Elaine Marcos as Tessie.  

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#628Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 1:03pm

I keep thinking about Beth Leavel as Mazeppa and Miss Cratchitt.

mshalo18
#629Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 1:46pm

ljay889 said: "I keep thinking about Beth Leavel as Mazeppa and Miss Cratchitt."

I keep thinking Jessica Vosk for Mazeppa.

babyjunegem
#630Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 2:35pm

I don’t understand the insistence on White Herbie in this production when there are figures like Ralph Cooper and Clarence Avant who hustled to get Black artists a stage in the 20th century. Again, Jeffrey Wright could bring a lot to the table here. None of the White Herbie suggestions are remotely exciting. 

hearthemsing22
#631Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 2:36pm

I'm not really familiar with the show, but how about Chuck Cooper for Herbie?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#632Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 3:08pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I'm not really familiar with the show, but how about Chuck Cooper for Herbie?"

Per the casting notice, Herbie will be played by a white actor. 

chrishuyen
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#634Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 5:15pm

chrishuyen said: "Interesting opinion piece from John McWhorter on this production (gift link):https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/13/opinion/audra-mcdonald-gypsy-broadway.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zU0.a0CV.q2APMUvvbey4&smid=url-share"

He sounds like a crackpot when he starts getting into wanting to see a white actor as Porgy.

It’s telling that he places the “blame” on the producers (who are white) and not on the Tony-winning director (who is Black, and who is not mentioned), perhaps as a way of furthering his silly argument.

I trust George Wolfe more than most living directors, especially where race is concerned, and I don’t think it’s a stretch at all for Rose’s wishes for her daughters to be out of touch with reality.

It’s also likely that Audra did not want to play Rose “as a white woman” (whatever that means).

Looking forward to this production.

If he wanted to explore something actually compelling, he could have dissected race’s role in two shows that we’ve already seen this season, SUFFS and LEMPICKA (shows that have plots about racism/xenophobia but also used race-blind casting) 

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 05:15 PM

bigbelterbaby
#635Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 5:26pm

June Squibb should reprise her role as Electra from the original production 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#636Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/13/24 at 5:35pm

The stripper trio:

Bonnie Milligan:Mazeppa

Katie Finneran: Tessie 

Gabby Beans:  Electra

binau Profile Photo
binau
#637Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:45pm

Omg imagine being Gavin Creel and getting to say at parties you basically convinced Audra to do Gypsy. This is crazy fan fiction in real life. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#638Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/17/24 at 5:53pm

Update on the exterior of the Majestic-Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#639Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/18/24 at 3:52am

The theatre is looking good.  The video they put out was terrible.  She sang that on zoom.  They put it together quickly, just like this whole revival is being thrown together.   She has artistic approval over everything.  Ohio State Murders failure is hanging over all of this.  Not surprised she was on with Jenna and Hoda the day after they announced.  Talented or not, you are only as good as your numbers.  Even though it actually had good sales the day tickets went on sale. She is getting a box office cut on the back end of the deal. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#640Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/18/24 at 8:25am

Broadway Flash said: "The theatre is looking good. The video they put out was terrible. She sang that on zoom. They put it together quickly, just like this whole revival is being thrown together. She has artistic approval over everything. Ohio State Murders failure is hanging over all of this. Not surprised she was on with Jenna and Hoda the day after they announced. Talented or not, you are only as good as your numbers. Even though it actually had good sales the day tickets went on sale. She is getting a box office cut on the back end of the deal."

The revival is being thrown together? It’s been in planning for literal years, predating Rudin’s ousting, and is being helmed by one of the greatest living directors. And of course Audra is getting a box office cut. She’s the reason the production is even happening. What in the world are you (ever) going on about?

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#641Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/18/24 at 9:12am

Broadway Flash said: "The theatre is looking good. The video they put out was terrible. She sang that on zoom. They put it together quickly, just like this whole revival is being thrown together. She has artistic approval over everything. Ohio State Murders failure is hanging over all of this. Not surprised she was on with Jenna and Hoda the day after they announced. Talented or not, you are only as good as your numbers. Even though it actually had good sales the day tickets went on sale. She is getting a box office cut on the back end of the deal."

Nursey, dear. Fetch her medication. She's beginning to rant. 

Phillyguy
#642Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/23/24 at 2:28pm

I'm looking at the seat map for multiple dates during the preview and it seems that all the front orchestra seats are unavailable. Do you think they are already sold out or if some are held back to be released later? 

Trying to decide if I need to pull the trigger on the remaining seats or wait. 

Updated On: 6/23/24 at 02:28 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#643Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/23/24 at 2:35pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "Broadway Flash said: "The theatre is looking good. The video they put out was terrible. She sang that on zoom. They put it together quickly, just like this whole revival is being thrown together. She has artistic approval over everything. Ohio State Murders failure is hanging over all of this. Not surprised she was on with Jenna and Hoda the day after they announced. Talented or not, you are only as good as your numbers. Even though it actually had good sales the day tickets went on sale. She is getting a box office cut on the back end of the deal."

Nursey, dear. Fetch her medication. She's beginning to rant.
"

Beginning? When they aren't suspended from the board it seems to be continuous.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

MysteriousLady
#644Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/23/24 at 3:09pm

Phillyguy said: "I'm looking at the seat map for multiple dates during the preview and it seems that all the front orchestra seats are unavailable. Do you think they are also sold out or if some are held back to be released later?

"

I don't know about this production in particular, but as a rule, these days the best seats are withheld until close to the performance date. They are counting on patrons with big bucks buying the best seats at premium rates. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#645Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/23/24 at 3:36pm

I also noticed the lowest price is 80 bucks.  That’s pretty steep for the cheap seats in the back

OhHiii
#646Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/23/24 at 5:45pm

Phillyguy said: "I'm looking at the seat map for multiple dates during the preview and it seems that all the front orchestra seats are unavailable. Do you think they are already sold out or if some are held back to be released later?

"

The front rows won’t be put on sale until the set is loaded in and they have a sense of the stage height will be such that they have to sell them as a sort of partial view. 

Phillyguy
#647Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/23/24 at 9:41pm

OhHiii said: "Phillyguy said: "I'm looking at the seat map for multiple dates during the preview and it seems that all the front orchestra seats are unavailable. Do you think they are already sold out or if some are held back to be released later?

"

The front rows won’t be put on sale until the set is loaded in and they have a sense of the stage height will be such that they have to sell them as a sort of partial view.

"

Isn't the set not usually loaded until a few weeks before the show? I'm see the first 10 rows or so of the orchestra being unavailable. It makes sense if they want to see if they want to see how to price these seats for a premium but I also don't want to wait too long when decent seats are gone. 

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#648Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/23/24 at 11:23pm

Slightly off topic, but I just passed by the Majestic today and saw the new digital marquee. I absolutely hate digital marquees and think they’re making theatres look cheaper. Not to mention that they photograph horribly. So sad that yet another theatre has had their marquee replaced with a digital one. I guess it’s only a matter of time before they’re all that way. Sigh. Ok, rant over.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#649Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/23/24 at 11:46pm

I'm ok with digital marquees in theory, because you do have to combat the blaring lights of the neighborhood, but WHY do they photograph so badly??? Not all video screens photograph like that!!! Why are these so awful?

Videos