News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 27

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#650Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/24/24 at 12:28am

I thought they were gonna do something with the box office window on the street, but they covered it up again.  The lampposts from the phantom marquee are gone 

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#651Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/24/24 at 7:37pm

Is Bryan Cranston still rumored to be Herbie?  I had heard this a while ago .  But I am still hoping for the other rumored Cranston return in Damn Yankees.  He did hint at this on Andy Cohen.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#652Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/24/24 at 8:03pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I'm ok with digital marquees in theory, because you do have to combat the blaring lights of the neighborhood, but WHY do they photograph so badly??? Not all video screens photograph like that!!! Why are these so awful?"

The Shubert during Hello Dolly was gorgeous There was just a splash of digital presence in the marquee.  I want all the elegance back.

stagepotato
#653Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/24/24 at 8:42pm

This is slightly off topic but about the digital marquees. If I remember correctly, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, doesn’t the Music Box have one side digital and one side normal/not digital? I wouldn’t mind that combo for the marquees if they have to be digital. 

While I do hate them, I do like they give a slight preview of the show. I thought The Heart of Rock and Roll did a good job highlighting the characters, choreography, and a few scenes. But photographing was awful. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#654Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/24/24 at 8:58pm

I do hate the digital marquees. I think the one they slapped on the Shubert is so ugly. Interesting that London hasn’t quite jumped on the trend. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#655Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/25/24 at 12:24am

I was watching clips from the Live from Lincoln Center Passion the other day and it got me thinking about how nice a reunion would be with Cerveris and Audra. 

Updated On: 7/2/24 at 12:24 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#656Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/1/24 at 11:56pm

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Listener
#657Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/2/24 at 9:40am

I'm honestly not too excited for this.

Audra's voice is so...thick. I don't hear it for Rose.

bruzson
#658Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/2/24 at 10:00am

Thick?? I just saw her perform at the Rady Shell here in San Diego and the voice was resplendent. She even tossed in a ‘Sing out Louise’ at an appropriate moment 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#659Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/2/24 at 10:32am

I’ve been wondering if they’ll use Laurents’ 2008 edits: cutting Mr. Kringelein and the “faux rape,” using the stuffed lamb, and cutting the “Small World” reprise. 
The Staunton revival used all of these edits, and I wonder if it’s going to become commonplace now. 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#660Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/2/24 at 10:51am

Of the three, I think Mr. Kringelein and the stuffed lamb are the most likely uses; the "faux rape" scene reads very uncomfortably to modern audiences regardless of the reason Laurents actually cut it, and the stuffed lamb (or even some kind of Bunraku puppet kinda thing) is just easier to maintain than everything that goes into maintaining an actual lamb.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#661Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/2/24 at 10:52am

I’m a firm believer in the Small World reprise

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#662Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:06am

I can go either way with the reprise, but I think the consensus at the time was that Rose is so obsessed in the moment with getting Louise on that stage, that she wouldn’t take the time to sit and pine for Herbie. and I don’t disagree with that.

verywellthensigh
#663Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/3/24 at 6:44pm

As my grandmother would no doubt ask, "Who's Audra Gypsy?  Is she a singer?"

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#664Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:55pm

verywellthensigh said: "As my grandmother would no doubt ask, "Who's Audra Gypsy? Is she a singer?"

"

Funny you say that as my cousins said as we passed by tonight what's AudraGypsy?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

SisterGeorge
#665Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/4/24 at 3:17pm

I just watched her London Palladium concert on PBS and my excitement for this Gypsy, which was sky high, declined with every song she sang. Yes, her voice is as luscious and gorgeous as ever, but I'm having trouble imagining  it fitting the Gypsy score and character. (Part of the trouble,  I think, may have been the concert's musical direction which was for the most part so lethargic that it sucked the life out of most of the numbers she sang. I think the R&H selections fared best.) On the other hand, I keep thinking George C. Wolfe must have something surprising up his sleeve that will make this revival revelatory and amazing, so of course I'll be there.

Sister George

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#666Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/4/24 at 3:28pm

SisterGeorge said: "Yes, her voice is as luscious and gorgeous as ever, but I'm having trouble imaginingit fitting the Gypsy score and character. "

I would urge you to watch some clips from her in 'Lady Day'. She's far more versatile than most people think and has the ability to sound completely different from her classical soprano for which she is known. 

Broadway Flash
#667Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/4/24 at 3:30pm

It just reminds me of Sutton Foster in The Music Man.  She was truly wonderful as Marian, but you really missed the soprano.  Hearing her sing My White Knight, and Til There Was You, I kept thinking, I wish it was Kelli singing those songs. And everybody felt that way. I feel like people might have the same opinion with Audra.  Except she needs to sound like a horn not a flute. 

JSquared2
#668Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/4/24 at 6:54pm

Broadway Flash said: "It just reminds me of Sutton Foster in The Music Man. She was truly wonderful as Marian, but you really missed the soprano. Hearing her sing My White Knight, and Til There Was You, I kept thinking, I wish it was Kelli singing those songs. And everybody felt that way.”

No, “everybody”  did not feel that way. Please stop making up stupid sh*t. 

Broadway Flash
#669Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/4/24 at 7:00pm

No, literally everybody thought this.  I don’t know a single person who though her deep low alto belt was preferable to a soprano singing those beautiful songs. 

bwayobsessed
#670Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/4/24 at 8:47pm

I like the belt on My White Knight

Falsettolands
#671Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/5/24 at 8:25am

I rather preferred her belt. I suppose not literally "everybody" thought this, and you probably should steer clear from hyperbole for the remainder of your time on this board :)

verywellthensigh
#672Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/5/24 at 10:22pm

Audra is going to SLAY in Gypsy.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#673Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/6/24 at 3:43am

I watched "Lady Day" last night and it's true that we shouldn't underestimate Audra's ability to adjust her voice for a character. I do suspect we won't see this kind of transformation because Gypsy as a show has ALWAYS been grounded in the lead actress' personality and vocal style. And it's not like there is a distinctive 'Rose' character voice. Plus it's easy to 'act down' (as Audra did with Lady Day) than 'act up' (Eg. Audra is not going to have Patti's belt suddenly come from an acting trick). She obviously has the capability to tone down her vibrato if needed a little. 

But we shouldn't underestimate Audra, OR the director George C Wolfe. Look at his musicals. Shuffle Along, Caroline, or Change, The Wild Party etc. - this is a man that very deeply, deeply understands the musicianship behind vocal performances and always turns out good performances with a high level of characterisation in them (same as Michael Greif). 

Also, part of me wants Audra to keep some of her signature style. As I said, the show has ALWAYS been grounded in the personality and vocal style of the actress. The show and casting has always been so amazing because Ethel Merman, Angela Lansbury, Tyne Daly, Bernadette Peters and Patti LuPone sound nothing like each other. So every time it's a whole unique experience and character. Audra should not feel compelled to follow the mould.

This whole production is starting to feel a bit 'deja vu' to the Sam Mendes Bernadette Peters Gypsy. Get a hot director ('George C Wolfe'Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season! and cast against type ('Audra'Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!. Meanwhile the vultures are circling in the background. Hopefully unlike Sam Mendes Gypsy production, Arthur Laurents' estate are not hovering in the background trying to stop creative choices (e.g. According to David Burtka who played Tulsa the Sam Mendes production we saw wasn't even the real thing. Sam Mendes had a number of choices that Arthur Laurents simply wouldn't allow, such as having Bernadette's face dripping with make-up during 'Rose's Turn'Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!.

I don't care which magazine he writes for but I want to see Ben Brantley's take on this production. Another hallmark of all the previous recent revivals is what he said about Patti Lupone and Bernadette. I don't think I'm ready to listen to Jesse Green's take on this yet. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/6/24 at 03:43 AM

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#674Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/6/24 at 12:55pm

I am highly looking forward to this production, Audra’s performance, the direction, everything. I do agree that there is a whiff of the Mendes/Peters production since no one from the original creative team is alive or involved outside of their estates, but I don’t bet against McDonald. 

Currently rereading Arthur Laurents’ last book, and while he was certainly a viper who would hold a grudge, it is worth noting that every single time he directed Gypsy in New York, the lead won a Tony for their performance.  Having seen LuPone at City Center four times in three weeks ($25 front row balcony seats), on Broadway twice, and Peters when I was a kid, I am always looking for my next opportunity to hear that score and let that story take me away.

Cannot. Wait!

Videos