News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 28

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

nasty_khakis
#675Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/6/24 at 1:00pm

Burkha also outright said most of the stuff Laurents refused to let Mendes do he himself did with the Patti Gypsy.

iluvtheatertrash
#676Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/6/24 at 5:54pm

There is buzz that David Tenant is coming to Broadway in a musical revival. Could he be our Herbie? 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#677Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/6/24 at 11:19pm

I'm going to hesitantly throw out a Herbie suggestion who I don't think has been named on this thread yet:

Matthew Broderick.

His stage work is erratic of late but he has two Tonys, isn't above playing second-banana to big performances, has a good recoupment track-record, and might be a best-case scenario if they want a "name". This is the type of role where even if he's not great it probably wouldn't be ruinous to the production. There's also a chance that Wolfe brings out a wonderful performance from him.

Updated On: 7/6/24 at 11:19 PM

Musicaldudepeter
#678Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 7:23am

The latest rumor I heard is that the Herbie is a Tony winner who has done drag. Harvey Fierstein? 

OuttaTowner
#679Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 7:58am

Santino Fontana?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#680Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 8:16am

Musicaldudepeter said: "The latest rumor I heard is that the Herbie is a Tony winner who has done drag. Harvey Fierstein?"

That's not exactly a short list! But these guys are all plausible and could be billed below the title without any fuss so as not to upset the AUDRA GYPSY treatment:

Jefferson Mays (Gents Guide)
Douglas Hodge (La Cage)
Reed Birney (Casa Valentina)
Gabriel Ebert (Casa Valentina)
Santino Fontana (Tootsie)
Bertie Carvel (Matilda)

Extremely unlikely but technically fit the description: Alan Cumming, Harvey Fierstein, Mark Rylance, Neil Patrick Harris, George Hearn (lol), Nathan Lane

We know it's not Christian Borle...

Updated On: 7/7/24 at 08:16 AM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#681Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 8:40am

In a weird way, can see them all?

Updated On: 7/7/24 at 08:40 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#682Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 9:08am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "In a weird way, can see them all?"

Same. Reed or Jefferson seem most likely and would be great . . . Santino and Gabe are a little young (42 and 36 respectively) but could be good, and Doug and Bertie probably aren't worth the extra housing/travel costs.

(this assuming there's validity to the rumor above)

Updated On: 7/7/24 at 09:08 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#683Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 9:52am

Birney would certainly be a more typical sort of casting for Herbie, though he’d obviously be excellent.

Mays is so associated with more showy, flamboyant character roles even in plays like Oslo that it’s hard for me to imagine him as Herbie. He could do it, of course.

Having a younger Herbie like Santino could make some sense, if Wolfe is exploring race here. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#684Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 10:05am

Reed Birney is almost 70…

Of the list provided, Jefferson Mays seems the most “Herbie-ish” to me, and the most believable as a romantic partner to Audra.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#685Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 10:22am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Reed Birney is almost 70…

Of the list provided, Jefferson Mays seems the most “Herbie-ish” to me, and the most believable as a romantic partner to Audra.
"

At 69, I don't think Reed reads significantly older than Jefferson (59) or Audra (54) or the previously-rumored Giamatti (57). In theory, Herbie could be convincing as 40 or 70 or anywhere in between.

If the pair was a 24-year-old who looked 18 and a 37-year-old who looked 40, this would Maybe not be a Happy Ending Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!

It could also be none of these people! One person posted this unsubstantiated rumor!

Updated On: 7/7/24 at 10:22 AM

Dan6
#686Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:17pm

Wouldn’t J. Harrison Ghee also be on that list?

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#687Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:20pm

Dan6 said: "Wouldn’t J. Harrison Ghee also be on that list?"

It was confirmed earlier Herbie will be played by a white actor.

theatergoer3
theatergoer3
#689Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:47pm

Accidental double post - delete 

Updated On: 7/7/24 at 12:47 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#690Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:53pm

I mean… Rylance does fit the “won a Tony (X 3!), did drag” rumor. And he’s probably the greatest living male stage actor, who happens to be a “name” (not a celebrity by any means, but somebody who can certainly move tickets).  Herbie feels like a role that’s a little beneath him, but how can one not be excited to see him back onstage, especially alongside Audra? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/7/24 at 12:53 PM

theatergoer3
#691Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:57pm

I just remembered that he is set to do the West End this fall until November 23.

So I don’t think that would work - at least at first. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#692Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:59pm

theatergoer3 said: "I justremembered that he is set to do the West End this fall until November 23.

So I don’t think that would work - at least at first.
"

I just looked that up as well: he’s doing Warchus’ production of Juno and the Paycock with J. Smith Cameron. So this rumor does not appear to be able to carry much weight, as exciting as it would be. The logistics of it aren’t impossible but very implausible to carry out. 

Updated On: 7/7/24 at 12:59 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#693Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 1:33pm

I would say those Rylance logistics are definitively impossible: GYPSY begins rehearsal Sept 30 and previews Nov 21; JUNO runs through Nov 23 and I bet there’s another 4-6 weeks built in as an extension. And no way they’re going to push the GYPSY dates by two+ months and refund everyone. This is not a Lea Salonga in HLL “special guest star” situation.

Rylance has been offered many musicals over the years (including pitches to craft a musical around him) so I highly doubt that Herbie — a pretty boring role — is the one that finally makes him say yes.

Some of y’all are sounding a little delulu and not being realistic about the level of name that is attainable for this. 

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#694Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 2:24pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I would say those Rylance logistics are definitively impossible: GYPSY begins rehearsal Sept 30 and previews Nov 21; JUNO runs through Nov 23 and I bet there’s another 4-6 weeks built in as an extension."

No extension for JUNO. Cameron Mackintosh's new production of OLIVER! starts performances at the Gielgud on December 14. However, I would bet JUNO will transfer to Broadway shortly after the London run.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#695Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 2:40pm

Thanks! Didn't realize that about Oliver, but still doesn't change the Gypsy situation.

A 2025 Broadway bow for JUNO would make sense considering the involvement of Sonia, Rylance, J. Smith Cameron, and Warchus.

MysteriousLady
#696Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 3:36pm

Mathew Broderick would be inspired as Herbie. His sad eyes and sweetness could be devastating near the end. I know it's just an idea but it's a good idea. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#697Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 3:46pm

I've been let down by Broderick onstage too many times to even muster excitement for that, even as a hypothetical.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#698Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 4:27pm

Kad said: "I've been let down by Broderick onstage too many times to even muster excitement for that, even as a hypothetical."

I've been let down by him in everything since 'The Producers'. I find him to be a strange combination of annoying with the presence of a wet rag. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#699Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/7/24 at 4:49pm

Broderick is doing Babbit in Washington DC through October.  I expect, that hopes are to bring that to Broadway eventually.  It already had an earlier run in San Diego last year.

Videos