pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews- Page 27

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#650MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/3/18 at 11:34pm

Friend at tonight’s show says it ended a few minutes before 11:00. Glad to hear they’ve cut it down about 20 minutes from first preview (and under 3 hours now!).

WestCoast331
#651MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/3/18 at 11:45pm

Yup, ended at ~10:55 tonight

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#652MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/4/18 at 12:01am

I was there tonight. Left at intermission. I was so BORED. Sorry but I know the show and there was nothing new or interesting here for me so I bailed. Didn’t care for the design, thought the performances were just okay. Ambrose was great, but everything else was just fine. I’m in the theater about three nights a week so if it’s not really working for me, I leave. Hate to say it, but I thought Carousel was better BUT that’s probably because I don’t know that show nearly as well so I was more interested in seeing how it would play out. Was in the lodge, 2nd row center. Great sight lines and any audio problems discussed around the first previews must have been worked out because I could hear fine. Wish the speakers hanging over the stage were just three feet higher though. That was distracting.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#653MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/4/18 at 5:20am

You need to sit as close to the stage as possible. Ambrose’s facial expressions during Wouldn’t It Be Loverly alone made me drop some tears and I never thought this song would be so moving until her interpretation. If you prefer a more naturalistic approach to acting, whether in a dead serious straight play or supposedly splashy musical, this production is such a treat.

JBC3
#654MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/4/18 at 6:47am

I love sitting in The Lodge* for theater, feet up by the fire on a chilly night and tossing back a hot toddy while waiting for the show to begin .. or if in spring, the scent of blooming lavender wafting in from the windows under a bright shining moon.

The Lodge can command much higher ticket prices than The Loge.

*my favorite typo of recent note on this board

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#655MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/4/18 at 7:49am

^ Sorry. Autocorrect. Butcha know what? I’m gonna keep it. :)

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#656MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/4/18 at 8:26am

Brilliant production of Lerner and Loewe masterpiece from beginning to end. Loved it, every minute of it!

Broadway Bobbie
#657MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/4/18 at 6:28pm

I completely agree. "LOVERLY" from beginning to end!

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#658MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 2:02am

Saw it tonight.

I'm not totally sold on Ambrose, but the rest of the production is top-notch.  Paton, for me, steals the show, creating a perfectly natural, believable Higgins.  His singing is fine.  His acting is superb.  The cadence of his delivery was what truly made me enjoy watching him.  Ambrose could learn a thing or two from his quick cue pickups and ability to find comedic moments in the script.

She needs more time to grow comfortable in the role.  Her singing is fine (more powerful on the high notes than I had expected).  I really think a lot of that comes from a very talented sound design and board operator.  Ambrose doesn't find a lot of the inherent comedy when she's 'cockney Eliza.'  She could pull so much more out of the script and tonight it felt to me that the audience didn't really warm up to her until Rain In Spain. 

Her accent absolutely makes me a little insane, especially with real Brits surrounding her in many scenes.  I have the distinct impression that Ambrose is clearly thinking about what she's going to say before she says it, robbing her character of truly 'being in the moment.'  

Butz is Butz, but he's brilliant.  His interpretation of his character is fresh and delivered beautifully.

Set was beautiful.  Ascot opening got applause.  

Anyone know if tempos have been slowed down for this production?  It felt that way.

Updated On: 4/5/18 at 02:02 AM

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#659MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 2:10am

theatretenor2 said: "We are seeing this Friday night for the first time. Neither of us have seen the show or the film, so going in with completely fresh eyes and ears. We are sitting in row E of the Loge (near center). How is the sound and view?"

You are in the last row but you should be fine. It is not that big of a theatre. It only seats around 1067. The show plays better towards the center sections given its presentational staging. 

The Lodge typo was priceless!!! Loved it!!

Updated On: 4/5/18 at 02:10 AM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#660MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 5:18pm

Center loge E 309-310 are available on Telecharge for tomorrow night's performance, $87 each.

Updated On: 4/5/18 at 05:18 PM

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#661MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 5:58pm

CT2NYC said: "Center loge E 309-310 are available on Telecharge for tomorrow night's performance, $87 each."

I traded up for Right orchestra. :)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#662MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/6/18 at 9:29pm

The Painstaking Detail That Went Into Lauren Ambrose’s My Fair Lady Hat

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/lauren-ambrose-my-fair-lady-hat.html

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#663MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 8:07am

This isn't about endorsing or embracing Shaw's themes and ideas (in general, politically, on some controversial, even alarming, occasions, or even in the play itself).  

I understand what you are saying. But if you read through this thread, it is full of praise for the production having been true to Shaw's intended ending, as if Shaw were one of the great moral philosophers of the last century. He wasn't. Not even close. 

Eliza passes through this elegant transformation from Cockney flower girl to lady, more through her own efforts than by way of Higgins, and Shaw's intended ending is that she marry Freddy and spend her life working in a flower shop.

A silly ending. Not justifying all the reverence being shown to Shaw.

Feel free to disagree.

Fetus Profile Photo
Fetus
#664MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 11:16am

That costume is lovely, very excited to see this in June.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#665MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 11:33am

Olblueeyes, if you find Shaw's ending silly, we can agree to disagree.  But curious - in addition to why you find Shaw's resolution silly, how you would prefer the play to end.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#666MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 11:49am

Re Eliza's Ascot outfit-- look, the hat is indeed lovely, but for anyone else who's actually seen the production, did you actually like Eliza's Ascot gown? We frankly thought it was dreadful-- like some French can-can outfit with a black bodice covered in crazy paisley froufrou, and a nothing skirt. From our view in the Loge, the point-d'esprit net up top was invisible so it looked like her shoulders and cleavage were bare with a black choker above. In that sea of stunning mauve ensemble outfits, poor Eliza looked like a courtesan who'd wandered in from a road show of Gigi. Didn't Higgins have a line about how he wanted something simple and modest, perhaps with a sash? I guess that French dressmaker really WAS doing a number on them.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#667MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 2:15pm

That hat is gorgeous!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#668MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 2:48pm

BenjaminNicholasII said: "I have the distinct impression that Ambrose is clearly thinking about what she's going to say before she says it."

You mean Ambrose is playing Eliza as a woman who's weighing her every word because she's trying very hard to improve her way of speaking?

Updated On: 4/7/18 at 02:48 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#669MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 3:00pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Re Eliza's Ascot outfit-- look, the hat is indeed lovely, but for anyone else who's actually seen the production, did you actuallylikeEliza's Ascot gown? We frankly thought it was dreadful-- like some Frenchcan-can outfit with a black bodice covered in crazy paisley froufrou, and a nothing skirt. From our view in the Loge, the point-d'esprit net up top was invisible so it looked like her shoulders and cleavage were bare with a black choker above. In that sea of stunning mauve ensemble outfits, poor Eliza looked like a courtesan who'd wandered in from a road show of Gigi. Didn't Higgins have a line about how he wanted something simple and modest, perhaps with a sash? I guess that French dressmaker really WASdoing a number on them."

I loved it because it added to the ridiculousness and comedy to the scene. Whatever Higgins said before, he and Pickering went crazy once they actually went to the dressmaker and the outfit seemed like a result of two men having too much fun dressing up their live doll, as Mrs. Higgins said.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#670MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 3:05pm

henrikegerman said: "BenjaminNicholasII said: "I have the distinct impression that Ambrose is clearly thinking about what she's going to say before she says it."

You mean Ambrose is playing Eliza as a woman who's weighing her every word because she's trying very hard to improve her way of speaking?
"

No she's just an actress who needs to pick up on her cues.

JBC3
#671MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 3:44pm

The dissection of this production mirrors my experiences with frogs in junior high biology.

enjoyable2
#672MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 3:47pm

LOL.  Wish I could get there to see it to decide for myself. 

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#673MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 4:32pm

henrikegerman said: "BenjaminNicholasII said: "I have the distinct impression that Ambrose is clearly thinking about what she's going to say before she says it."

"

No.  That's not what I mean.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#674MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/7/18 at 9:41pm

Lauren Ambrose looks absolutley STUNNING in that photo! 

Videos