pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 27

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

JSquared2
#650SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 1:51pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "There can also be arbitration with Equity to determine whether a role is classified as Principal or Ensemble. So this could be a technicality there."

There's only an arbitration if the producer disagrees with Equity's determination.  An Equity rep comes to see the show right before opening and issues a determination of who is and is not a Principal.  Angie's role was beefed up considerably during previews -- so it's understandable that they considered her a Principal.

Jarethan
#651SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 2:29pm

I am not back in NYC until May, only have 6 slots this trip, and have been slow to purchase anything.  I usually get to NYC three times between May and October, and hold off for limited engagement runs in May.  At 1:00am, I broke down and got tickets for this for May.  The Times review had me struggling to remember the last BIG original musical comedy I loved.  I think it was Kinky Boots.  I loved Hamilton, but it’s not a classic big brassy musical.  Moulin Rouge is a big brassy musical, but its score is jukebox.  Now, I only have to wait 5 1/2 months.  The only other thing I have gotten is A Doll’s House, which is probably iffy, but I love the play and Jessica Chastain.  I am reminded that Jessica Lange got terrible reviews for her first show, I think even her second, but won a Tony on her third try.  I don’t care if Chastain wins a Tony — there is going to be a lot of competition this year even if she is great — but I certainly hope she is really good this time out.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#652SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 2:33pm

Where was it beefed up? I genuinely can’t think of where that was. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#653SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 2:40pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I don’t believe her part has changed at all since the first preview. But she is one of the most memorable parts of the production so I’m glad she’s getting higher billing."

Has anything notable changed during the preview period? I asked a few pages ago but think it either got lost in the shuffle or maybe it's just because nothing changed. I saw the show in it's first week of previews and had a great time but I thought the show still some changes. 

Jordan Catalano
#654SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 2:43pm

From (allegedly) audio recordings, from first to last preview the show is about 6 minutes shorter in act one and 3 minutes in act two. 

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#655SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 4:46pm

Bill Snibson said:

Yup. You sure showed me. The show wasn't for me. Not sure why me voicing my opposition has struck such a nerve. Congratulations, I guess???"

Clearly did! Never stop posting, I always enjoy reading your posts and value your opinion on here. 

Jordan Catalano
Jarethan
#657SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 5:53pm

After last night's reviews, a friend who does not like to buy online asked me to get 4 tickets for Saturday night, if possible.  I purchased the seats but was amazed at how undersold it still is for Saturday night. 

For people trying not to spend a lot, the front of the second balcony has pretty good views.  There is not a single seat sold in the first four rows of the second balcony and 95% of the mezzanine is still available (I would guess that half of the orchestra seats are still available, although the premium seats are well sold).

Clearly, no one had interest in seeing this before the reviews, so the advance was awful.  I still would have expected there would be a lot of purchasing going on after those reviews, based on the number of long lines I waited in in the past, long before on-line purchasing made things so much easier.  I hope this is not another by-product of Covid: splashy new musical based on a well-loved movie gets a bunch of money reviews and doesn't become a quick(ish) hot ticket.  Instead, people see Wicked for the 7th time...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#658SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 6:07pm

Honestly, the ticket prices are so ridiculously high it's pathetic. the cheap seats are only in the rear mezz and the balcony. Even the discount isn't that good to get a decent orchestra seat for $100.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#659SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 6:33pm

ACL2006 said: "Honestly, the ticket prices are so ridiculously high it's pathetic. the cheap seats are only in the rear mezz and the balcony. Even the discount isn't that good to get a decent orchestra seat for $100."

I saw the show last Tuesday night with a discount for $100 seats, and I saw far left orchestra and had a partially obstructed view. I really enjoyed the show, especially the choreography, but would have probably enjoyed it more had I had a better view of the entire stage. I'm happy the show got these wonderful reviews, and it's certainly one that I would consider seeing again very soon only to see the entire stage! 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#660SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 7:01pm

I assume that many of you know that the Florida scenes in the movie were actually filmed at San Diego's historic and beautiful Hotel Del Coronado (The Del).  Assuming that the stage version portrays a hotel and beach and ocean, I'm curious to learn how the set is consructed.  Real sand?

For fun, I am posting  "then and now" videos and pictures dating to when the movie was filmed.

Non sibi sed patriae

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#661SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 8:01pm

Highland Guy said: "I assume that many of you know that the Florida scenes in the movie were actually filmed at San Diego's historic and beautiful Hotel Del Coronado (The Del). Assuming that the stage version portrays a hotel and beach and ocean, I'm curious to learn how the set is consructed. Real sand?

For fun, I am posting "then and now" videos and pictures dating to when the movie was filmed."

There are no scenes explicitly set on a beach; they are set inside the hotel (a backdrop, a few automated et pieces, and many bellhops/luggage carts).

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#662SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 8:03pm

Highland Guy said: "Assuming that the stage version portrays a hotel and beach and ocean, I'm curious to learn how the set is consructed. Real sand?"

There's no Florida, the hotel is in San Diego, and there's no beach scene.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#663SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 8:09pm

Thanks to veronicamae and pethian for your responses about the beach scenes.  Interesting!

Non sibi sed patriae

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#664SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/22 at 11:33pm

SOME LIKE IT HOT Sets the Jazz Age Ablaze — Theatrely Review

Some Like It Hot, blazing a three-alarm fire with charm and wit to remind us of the joys that beautiful people, electric performances, exciting choreography and foot-stomping, finger-snapping, neck-pulsing music can inspire.

https://www.theatrely.com/post/some-like-it-hot-sets-the-jazz-age-ablaze-review 

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#665SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/13/22 at 8:33am

I’m so, so happy this show is getting love from the critics. I hope it has a healthy and lengthy run!

Also, just notified this now - the rush and digital lottery prices (which were both announced as $40 during previews) are now $65 and $45, for anyone interested.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#666SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/13/22 at 9:43pm

How Some Like It Hot Star Adrianna Hicks Got Ready for Opening Night
The actress plays Sugar Kane, the role originated by Marilyn Monroe, in the hit Broadway musical.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a42231309/some-like-it-hot-broadway-marilyn-monroe-adrianna-hicks-opening-night/

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#667SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/22 at 5:35pm

The company will perform “You Can’t Have Me” tomorrow on Good Morning America.

Oh look, a bibu!

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#668SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 11:44am

Saw the show opening night.

I thought the book was the best thing about the show. Very cleverly written and performed well! 

The tap dancing was great as it usually is from a Casey show. 

I thought the score was… blah. Couldn’t hum or sing one song 5 minutes after I left the show. All the songs were sung well but nothing blew me away - even the big ballad sung by Sugar. 

I felt bad for the ensemble members - none of their parts really added anything to the show. Push this luggage cart across the stage, open this door, walk upstage and exit - It was all very… I don’t know, mindless. Happy they got to tap!

Overall, I liked the show…I thought it was good… just not WOW! Would I recommend it to someone… I don’t know?

OhHiii
#669SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 1:03pm

DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "I felt bad for the ensemble members - none of their parts really added anything to the show. Push this luggage cart across the stage, open this door, walk upstage and exit - It was all very… I don’t know, mindless. Happy they got to tap!"

I might suggest you stick to chamber musicals as it sounds like you take issue with the idea of an ensemble in general based on this description of what they're doing here/its insignificance when it's clear this is one of the hardest working ensembles on Broadway currently.

BorisTomashevsky
#671SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 1:30pm

Just like in Me & My Girl he’s working too hard and telling us all about it.

The trousers and the haircut do him no favors either.

He does, however, have a face for radio and a voice for mime. 

I have a feeling they’ll be comping more widely soon. 

Updated On: 12/16/22 at 01:30 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#672SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 1:52pm

I unfortunately second everything BorisTomashevsky just said… generic song too.

I don’t see this show lasting too long into 2023.

Oh look, a bibu!

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#673SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 2:15pm

OhHiii said: "DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "I felt bad for the ensemble members - none of their parts really added anything to the show. Push this luggage cart across the stage, open this door, walk upstage and exit - It was all very… I don’t know, mindless. Happy they got to tap!"

I might suggest you stick to chamber musicals as it sounds like you take issue with the idea of an ensemble in general based on this description of what they're doing here/its insignificance when it's clear this is one of the hardest working ensembles on Broadway currently.
"

Can you suggest a chamber musical I should see? Maybe we can go together?

Nicticorax
#674SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 4:09pm

I didn't find the song particularly memorable, but it seemed charming and fun enough! I'm not the biggest fan of tap or dance-heavy shows in general, but I'd definitely get a ticket for this if it's still open when I make it to NY.

Videos