pixeltracker

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread- Page 28

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

BCfitasafiddle
#675The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/23/21 at 7:09pm

Hearing Olga Merediz on the track was so moving! Sounded just like the OBCR that I wore out. Gonna be a wonderful summer blockbuster!

bwayobsessed
#676The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/23/21 at 8:49pm

I’m really shocked they cut Everything I know...the other songs I can pretty much see how it works without. But that one seems essential

Alex172005
#677The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/24/21 at 6:02pm

JP2 said: "I saw it last night and loved it. I think I'd love it more if I had never seen the show. They're very different. Subplots are missing. Character dynamics have shifted. Storylines are altered, along with the context for a lot of the songs.

I feel like I'll appreciate it more upon second viewing in a large theater.

All of the musical numbers and performances are exceptional, though.
"

I felt the same way. One thing that bugged me a lot *spoiler alert* was the reason why Nina left school. I didn’t mind them killing her mom, (although the interaction between Kevin and Usnavi in the first number sounds strange now) but her not being able to afford school and failing cause she had to work multiple jobs worked a lot better for me than her just leaving cause of (the reason given).

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#678The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/25/21 at 12:22am

I saw a screening tonight. I loved it. I actually live in the Heights and it made me so nostalgic for the life and energy of the city. The set for “96,000” is now a covid testing site, which is quite a different vibe than the incredible number in the film. Anyway, without going into much detail, I think this is a really good adaptation and it actually feels like a movie and not a stage musical. I hope it’s a huge hit. It’s the kind of joyous summer movie that we need.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#679The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/25/21 at 11:20am

HeyMrMusic said: "I saw a screening tonight. I loved it. I actually live in the Heights and it made me so nostalgic for the life and energy of the city. The set for “96,000” is now a covid testing site, which is quite a different vibe than the incredible number in the film. Anyway, without going into much detail, I think this is a really good adaptation and it actually feels like a movie and not a stage musical. I hope it’s a huge hit. It’s the kind of joyous summer movie that we need."

Yes, the setting for "96,000" is the Highbridge Pool on West 173rd and Amsterdam, and it is now being used as a COVID-19 testing site. 

Updated On: 4/25/21 at 11:20 AM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#680The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/25/21 at 2:34pm

Yup, I’ve gotten tested there multiple times. It’s honestly wonderful to see the film revive the neighborhood to its former glory, even if it is a little Disneyfied.

sparksatmidnight
#681The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/25/21 at 6:40pm

Jordan Levinson said: "You can stream the title song right now on digital music platforms. I just gave it a first listen and it sounds great. Ramos sounds like he will be a dynamic Usnavi."

Oddly enough, the version of the song on Apple Music and Spotify is not the same one on Youtube. There are slightly differences between them

teddy1996
#682The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/25/21 at 7:01pm

sparksatmidnight said: "Jordan Levinson said: "You can stream the title song right now on digital music platforms. I just gave it a first listen and it sounds great. Ramos sounds like he will be a dynamic Usnavi."

Oddly enough, the version of the song on Apple Music and Spotify is not the same one on Youtube. There are slightly differences between them
"

the one on youtube is the movie audio. 

teddy1996
#683The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/25/21 at 9:26pm

i can definitely see this movie winning oscars 

Updated On: 4/26/21 at 09:26 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#684The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/25/21 at 11:39pm

The final trailer:

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#685The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/3/21 at 1:31pm

Free Mother's Day screening - but limited availability and looks like some theatre chains are not available.

Mother's Day Screenings

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#686The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/3/21 at 2:02pm

“96,000” was just released today on digital platforms.

Oh look, a bibu!

Phantom4ever
#687The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/3/21 at 3:27pm

I knew Lin would take out the Trump reference in 96,000 but it's so great to hear it confirmed!  

SporkGoddess
#688The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/3/21 at 5:02pm

I am very sad about "Sunrise" and "Everything I Know" being cut. From what I've heard from people who saw the screening, apparently they cut a lot of Nina and Benny's storyline and gave it to Usnavi and Vanessa? I don't really understand the reasoning behind that, unless it's to make Usnavi more of the central character.

I'm still looking forward to it but kind of worried that these changes will make it difficult. I'd probably love it if I weren't familiar with the original Broadway production.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#689The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/3/21 at 5:29pm

I got to see it again, and I'll say I found it MUCH more enjoyable now. I was able to focus on the story rather than compare it in my head to the original. I think the film is stunning.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#690The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/3/21 at 8:06pm

Alex172005 said: "One thing that bugged me a lot *spoiler alert* was the reason why Nina left school. I didn’t mind them killing her mom, (although the interaction between Kevin and Usnavi in the first number sounds strange now) but her not being able to afford school and failing cause she had to work multiple jobs worked a lot better for me than her just leaving cause of (the reason given)."

i dont know much money the Rosarios have. But when the show takes place, Stanford did not charge tuition for families with income under 125 (now 150) and no tuition and no room and board if family income was below 65k - now 75k. Cost of Stanford

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#691The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/3/21 at 8:09pm

This is the BEST of all the trailers.  I saw it earlier today on an enormous movie theatre screen in NYC and this film needs to be experienced in a movie theatre - not on a TV via HBO Max.  Wow!  Even this trailer was a rollercoaster ride in a huge movie theatre screen.  

bear88
#692The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/4/21 at 4:05am

I saw this trailer Friday during my first trip to a movie theater and, yeah, it's the best of the lot - and seeing it on the big screen got me more interested in seeing it.

No idea if I'll like the actual film, and I gather it's quite a bit different from the stage musical. But the trailer did its job. 

BrodyFosse123
#693The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/4/21 at 6:57am

I saw the film on its recent advance screening. Sadly, it wouldn’t allow you to stream it so I was stuck watching it on my laptop but was wise to listen to it with my headphones so the sound was glorious. Having seen the original Broadway production countless times AND being a huge fan of the musical, I loved the film adaptation. On film nothing is impossible so seeing come to life in real NYC locations was fantastic - especially the musical numbers. As most film adaptations do, yes there are changes, but this is its film adaptation. The stage version still exists and can be seen. The masterpiece film adaptation of THE SOUND OF MUSIC is heavily different from the stage production and no one has ever compared either one. They both stand on their own as will IN THE HEIGHTS.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#694The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/4/21 at 8:30am

BrodyFosse123 said: "I saw the film on its recent advance screening. Sadly, it wouldn’t allow you to stream it so I was stuck watching it on my laptop but was wise to listen to it with my headphones so the sound was glorious. Having seen the original Broadway production countless times AND being a huge fan of the musical, I loved the film adaptation. On film nothing is impossible so seeing come to life in real NYC locations was fantastic - especially the musical numbers. As most film adaptations do, yes there are changes, but this is its film adaptation. The stage version still exists and can be seen. The masterpiece film adaptation of THE SOUND OF MUSIC is heavily different from the stage production and no one has ever compared either one. They both stand on their own as will IN THE HEIGHTS. "

I agree with all of this. I bluetoothed my laptop to my Bose Speaker and the sound was pumped! 

ArtMan
#695The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/4/21 at 9:18am

The free screening I am attending on Sunday is in an IMAX theater.

BrodyFosse123
#696The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/4/21 at 9:59am

ArtMan said: "The free screening I am attending on Sunday is in an IMAX theater."

Consider yourself blessed.  Those of us who watched the advance online screening were lucky to see it first, so that was our blessing.  

Rainbowhigh23
#697The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/4/21 at 10:40am

The scene in Daniela's Salon must be seen and heard in Imax. Daphne's performance is larger than life and deserves the giant screen. The sound system in the Imax (most notably Lincoln Square) is incredible and most fitting for this film's incredible score.

chelseaburnside
#698The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 5/6/21 at 4:16pm

ggersten said: "Free Mother's Day screening - but limited availability and looks like some theatre chains are not available.

Mother's Day Screenings
"

If anyone in the NYC area has an extra ticket for one of this Sunday's screenings, I'm looking! :)

Videos