pixeltracker

Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 29

Unpopular opinions you hold

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#700Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/5/17 at 3:51pm

broadwayboy223 said: "I don't understand how Brittan Ashford's speaking voice sounds so much different from her affected singing voice."

This is more weird thought than unpopular opinion.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#701Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/5/17 at 3:57pm

Chicken_Flavor said: "I pray that Ben Platt doesn't get cast as Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors as some people have mentioned.

Who hurt you?

Anyways, Ashford's talking voice does actually kind of sound like her singing voice if you listen closely.  There's that slight lisp and rounded, back of the mouth tone.  It seems that her singing voice is just an exaggerated version of her speaking voice.  I happen to like it.  It's new and unique and I praise her for doing her own thing.

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#702Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/5/17 at 4:18pm

In my age group, I think I am a walking unpopular opinion...mostly everyone I know is only into the uber-popular shows, while I enjoy older, more serious shows shows like Gypsy, Ragtime and anything Sondheim. This frustration has been a major turnoff for me to discovering these mega shows (I do really like Rent and Hamilton though). But I can also not abide bad lyricism and clichè sentiment (which the majority of them seem to have gobs of). 

Melanie73
#703Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/5/17 at 10:52pm

*I mean no offense or insult to anyone with these opinions.  I know they're unpopular. :)

-I don't like Miss Saigon.  I saw it twice over the years with different casts (including the one on Broadway right now), but I just never got into the story.

-I'm not a huge fan of Hamilton.  I definitely appreciate and am glad for what it's done for musical theatre, but I blame my dislike of the show mainly on my dislike of the score.  And (I'm so sorry for this one; please don't hate me) I honestly feel like Lin Manuel Miranda is getting too many jobs and positions just so people and productions can slap his name on their advertising, as opposed to jobs that will really showcase what he's good at.

-On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of folk and bluegrass music, so I completely loved Bright Star.

-I also really liked Amelie.  I know it had its weaknesses, especially the fact that it relied a bit too much on people having seen the film prior to seeing the musical, but I do appreciate the show and its take on the material.  I especially liked the lyrics and the overall whimsical feel of the set and choreography.

-I loved A Bronx Tale, and I was heartbroken that it didn't get any Tony nominations.  But this season was an exceptionally strong one, so that's pretty understandable.  Here's to hoping it will have a relatively long, successful run!

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#704Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/6/17 at 4:25am

I loathe Miss Saigon too- but that's quite a popular opinion.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#705Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/6/17 at 6:57am

devonian.t said: "I loathe Miss Saigon too- but that's quite a popular opinion."

What parts of the story or music do you not like?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#706Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/6/17 at 9:34am

Ok here goes. Of all the Sondheim musicals Sunday in the Park with George is my least favorite. For some reason the score just doesn't speak to me. I know many people say they are a puddle of tears by the end of the show but I've never been able to be moved by this show. And I think "Move On" is the most overrated song in the Sondheim canon. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#707Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/6/17 at 9:41am

I prefer the original production of Sunset Boulevard to the recent revival, which seems to be an unpopular opinion among fans of the show. Give me the mansion, the turbans, the kabuki makeup, and Glenn Close's campy acting! The orchestra notwithstanding, the revival didn't feel as significant to me. 

Updated On: 7/6/17 at 09:41 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#708Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/6/17 at 10:03am

CT2NYC said: "I prefer the original production of Sunset Boulevard to the recent revival, which seems to be an unpopular opinion among fans of the show. Give me the mansion, the turbans, the kabuki makeup, and Glenn Close's campy acting! The orchestra notwithstanding, the revival didn't feel as significant to me."

Although I never saw the original, I would likely agree if I had. I loved the full, lush sound of the orchestra in the revival, but I'd pay handsomely to go back in time and see the Napier sets.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

#709Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/6/17 at 10:09am

I hated Bette Midler in Hello, Dolly!  

Out In The Sticks Profile Photo
Out In The Sticks
#710Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/6/17 at 10:17am

I think that mine are very unpopular.

1. That Stephen Sondheim musicals where he writes lyrics and music are dire.

2. Sung through musicals are just dreadful, speak those lines that need speaking don't sing em, just sing the songs.

3. Jerome Robbins choreography in West Side Story is of its day and no longer needs to be recreated. Some of the exciting choreographers out there now could make them look like gang members and not like ballet dancers trying to be gang members.

4. A lot of choreographers could do as good a job as Directors, they tell stories with dance and no words so are good at ensuring the story is told.

I really hope I haven't upset anyone, its not personal its just opinion.

R

godlessondheimite
#711Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/6/17 at 12:59pm

Brittain Ashford's voice reminds me of Mr. Hankey. I don't mean "like crap," I mean her lisp is reminiscent of Mr. Hankey's. Sometimes I can't stand listening to her, but then when I try to listen to Sonya Alone sung by anyone else, it doesn't sound right. 

Willy Loman2
#712Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/7/17 at 10:42am

I am over Patti LuPone.  I used to love her but I now find her performances to be self indulgent.  Everything she does says, "look at me! I'm so wonderful."  

Carol Channing is overrated in Hello, Dolly.  Her performance was a caricature.

Company is Sondheim's greatest show and the original production is one of the most exiting evenings I have ever spent in the theatre. 

I love Blood Brothers.

10086Sundays
#713Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/15/17 at 10:38am

I have no desire to see the Hello Dolly revival and the movie puts me to sleep. I think the show is laborious, not funny at all, and lacks emotional resonance.  Bette Midler's schtick only makes it less appealing.

I do love listening to Louis Armstrong's rendition of the title number though.

broadwayboy223
#714Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/15/17 at 10:46am

Bette Midler is not giving a Tony worthy performance. She managed to make Dolly a complete caricature. Donna Murphy is creating an actual  woman with feelings and it's fantastic. I wish Donna could be recognized somehow. 

Updated On: 7/15/17 at 10:46 AM

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#715Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/15/17 at 5:51pm

I remember really, really enjoying Amelie in its Berkeley Rep incarnation. When I listened to the Broadway cast recording, the music was much more bland than I remembered.

In retrospect, I'm not sure if I just really liked the Berkeley Rep cast, or if I was just feeling more generous because it was still in out of town tryouts.  

Regardless, I still will sometimes put on the Broadway recording at work - it's good background music.

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#716Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/15/17 at 7:43pm

Hamilton is not that good

Alex Kulak2
#717Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/15/17 at 9:48pm

Carol Channing's voice makes me want to kill myself. I really like Barbra Streisand in the movie, even if she's too young.

Glory Days didn't deserve a 1 performance run. Even In Transit broke 100 performances.

I really like The Story of My Life.

Dear Evan Hansen is a better work of theatre than Great Comet.

I'm not that big a fan of Groundhog Day the Musical, although that's mostly because slant rhymes bother me.

When Bette Midler spoke through the playoff, they need to go old-school and break out the old hook and drag her off stage.

Most of all:

I hate ensembles in plays and musicals. The root of theatricality is intimacy, and you'll never capture that intimacy when there's a giant 30 person "Denizens of Wherever" cast standing behind you. Cut the chorus, give me a small cast musical.

Alex Kulak2
#718Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 7/15/17 at 10:01pm

I don't get people comparing Dear Evan Hansen to Next to Normal (I think both shows are awesome, by the way). There's really no solid connective tissue except for A) the same director, and B) an ostensibly similar plot (contemporary rock musical about mental illness and death)

bear88
#719Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 2:48am

I was expecting to like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, and I didn't at all. It's interesting enough for a while, but the mystery is easily solved and I found the second act annoying and tiresome. Yes, I understand that the the play it trying to take us inside Christopher's head, but the insufferable trip to London just goes on and on.

The post-curtain call bit is just too cute and triumphant for words.

I also didn't like most of the second act of The King and I, starting with the endless, "The Small House of Uncle Thomas" ballet and ending with the abrupt conclusion that left me indifferent.

That said, the musical's second act does include "Shall We Dance," which is probably one of the most joyous, impossible-to-get-out-of-your-head musical theater songs ever written. I saw the show 9 months ago, and that song and dance still pops back into my head. So I certainly don't regret seeing it.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#720Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 3:21am

TheThreadMaster said: "Hamilton is not that good

"

Did you see obc or replacements? The replacements are no comparison. You're getting an inferior product.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#721Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 7:21am

I find Come From Away's score to be as bland as they come. I'm not a fan of bluegrass sounding music, and that's what a lot of CFA's music sounds like.

Hello, Dolly! fully deserved their Tony's for Best Revival, Best Costumes, and Best Leading/Featured Actor/tress. It's a beautiful, funny, well-directed show with a stellar cast. And can we begin to even talk about the gorgeous Sunday Clothes costumes??

Anastasia is a wonderful show. It's currently tied with Dolly as my favorite theatrical experience I've ever had. The show has a dreamy, nostalgic air to it, and everything from the clever set design to the cast and costumes is magical. I believe Christy Altomare was at least robbed of a nomination for her performance. Yes, the story was lacking some crucial moments, but I felt it was a great show nonetheless.

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#722Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 9:13am

I actually really enjoyed Oak's performance in Great Comet (and I saw a matinee). While he seemed a bit more reserved in his first couple appareances than Josh/Dave on the cast albums, by "Dust and Ashes" I was hooked and he only got better from there. Granted, I haven't seen the show with anyone else as Pierre, but after everything I read here about the performance I was pleasantly surprised. 

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#723Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 9:35am

Alex Kulak2 said: "I don't get people comparing Dear Evan Hansen to Next to Normal (I think both shows are awesome, by the way). There's really no solid connective tissue except for A) the same director, and B) an ostensibly similar plot (contemporary rock musical about mental illness and death)

"

I think you answered your own inquiry. 

N. Wratch
#724Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 11:23am

Denée Benton's soprano falls flat.

Videos