ON THE TOWN Reviews

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#50ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 2:42am

It really is bringing me near to tears to see these great notices. To see this kind of American Classic back on broadway, and executed in such a joyous way is just really moving to me. I fell in love with this production and I hope to see it many more times. Here's to a healthy run.

"...and in a bed."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#51ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 2:47am

^^^
How lovely.

I hope you enjoy it as much, if not more, each time.

....but the world goes 'round

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#52ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 3:05am

Ben Brantley's entire article is the best pull quote I've seen in years. They should run the whole thing on a giant board above the theater.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#53ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 5:23am

From BWW's review: "Robert Cary and Jonathan Tolins are credited with writing additional material; unnecessary, but pretty much in the Comden and Green style"

Anyone know what exactly the new material is?

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#54ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 5:29am

I'm so happy and it's only 5:30am reading these reviews. I've always been a fan of Tony and so proud of this entire production-I think I'll be going back again tomorrow! Congrats to the cast crew and everyone else involved!

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#55ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 7:25am

"YAY!!! Fantastic!! Brantley really got it right this time.Bravo to all involved and I can't wait to see it again at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks to Pal Joey for the link to the opening night video and the Hal Prince note to the cast. Now that's cool!!!"

Amazing how smart Brantley is when people agree with him - lol. I think Brantley got it right with "Matilda" also

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#56ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 9:57am

Another rave, this one from Elyse Gardner in USA Today, explains why I've been so convinced since Barrington that even the irascible Jerry Robbins would approve of this revival:

Bergasse's routines, even at their most irresistibly dizzy, reflect Robbins' emphasis on storytelling and expression of character.

USA TODAY: Broadway's new 'On the Town' a helluva revival

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#57ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 10:02am

I love that this production is getting the raves it's getting, AND I love PJs unbridled passion, excitement and joy about it.

We should all have this wonderful exuberance; that's what brought us here in the first place.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#58ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 10:29am

I really hope this has a log life on Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#59ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 10:40am

For those who have seen it, how challenging is Tony Yazbeck's role? Will he continue to do 8 performance?

Showface
#60ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 10:45am

It really is great to see when a new show gets rave reviews! It makes one feel all warm inside...

Hey, anyone think On the Town will perform at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? I know it may be cutting it close since it is a month away, but you never know...

ON THE TOWN Reviews

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#61ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 10:59am

Pal Joey sees it tonight! I'll be eagerly awaiting his review!!

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#62ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:04am

I'm thrilled for the great reviews.
And thrilled for everyone who is so moved by this.

What joy to have something to celebrate.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#63ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:09am

Joy truly is the operative word when talking about anything concerning this show. It really is a bonanza of joy in every respect!

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#64ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:18am

BroadwayWorld interviewer Sally Henry deserves a round of applause for this terrific interview with Tony winner Phyllis Newman, Adolph Green's widow:

BWW Interviews: Phyllis Newman Talks Broadway, Husband Adolph Green, and the Great ON THE TOWN

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#64ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:18am

ON THE TOWN Reviews

Phyllis played Claire in the 1971 revival, opposite Remak Ramsay:

Updated On: 10/17/14 at 11:18 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#66ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:23am

"Hey, anyone think On the Town will perform at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? I know it may be cutting it close since it is a month away, but you never know."

Cutting what close?

Showface
#67ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:25am

Cutting it close to the actual parade...

But...I guess that doesn't matter

Is there a deadline musicals have to go buy to reserve their parade performance?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#68ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:28am

Cinderella performed, and they didn't open until two months later. I'm sure On The Town will perform.

Updated On: 10/17/14 at 11:28 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#69ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:28am

They've been performing at a lot of events even before previews started. It's likely that their marketing team has secured a parade performance already.

Showface
#70ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:30am

The above to posts:

Thank you!

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#71ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:12pm

I was in the audience last night. I've been to opening nights before, but this may have been my favorite. What an absolute joy. I fell in love the first time I saw this production, and to see it have such a celebration was truly moving.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#72ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:39pm

"For those who have seen it, how challenging is Tony Yazbeck's role? Will he continue to do 8 performance?"

I think some of the singing is the most challenging for him. I've seen it twice, and I thought some of the notes he was belting had to be at his upper range. I don't see how he can sustain that level. I think he needs to find a way if he wants to be able to handle 8 shows per week.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#73ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 1:50pm

In that PBS documentary on Broadway, Mel Brooks said "A great musical blows the dust off your soul". And that is the perfect way to describe what On the Town did for me last week.

And, to quote the ad line from That's Entertainment, "Boy, do we need it now".

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#74ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 3:39pm

Love that Mel Brooks quote, lovebwy!

I want PJ to post that he hated the show, you know, just to mess with us.

Videos