pixeltracker

CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018- Page 3

CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#50CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:32am

Surprised more people aren't talking about the prospect of hearing Renée Fleming sing "You'll Never Walk Alone." I mean, come on! Seriously can't wait.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#51CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:36am

I want everything in the round so put this in Circle in the Square please. But in all seriousness, I hope for a smaller, intimate theater. Could see it at the Jacobs or maybe the Schonfeld, but I think Come From Away will be there for a while.  

RW3
#52CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:36am

HeleneIsASlut said: "icecreambenjamin said: "Niki Renee Daniels or Ashley Park would be beautiful as Carrie.

YESSSS to both of these suggestions! I assume we will be getting a diverse cast for this production? I hope so. I wonder if this production will lead toward the more traditional style or ver towards 1940sesque one like the Lyric production or be something complete different! 

It appears so. Amar Ramasar, who is playing Jigger, is Asian American. So we can be hopeful.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#53CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 1:15am

"Carousel" is my favorite musical, and I love Fleming (have seen her in recital).  I am not familiar with the other two leads, except from watching them in bits and pieces of YouTube videos.  They leave me underwhelmed.  Not sure I can justify flying cross-country to see a musical based on the merits of Fleming alone.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#54CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 2:04am

Bleh. I think Carousel is mostly garbage, and the cast doesn't excite me either. I think it'll have a tough time competing with My Fair Lady. I'll most likely pass, especially since I just saw a solid regional production. 

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 02:04 AM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#55CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 2:36am

Crossing my fingers for Jenn Gambatese as Carrie. 

Seconding this so hard! I also love the idea of Ashley Park, too. 

I've been wanting a revival of Carousel for so long - and with this cast? I'm so excited. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#56CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 2:48am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Surprised more people aren't talking about the prospect of hearing Renée Fleming sing "You'll Never Walk Alone." I mean, come on! Seriously can't wait.

You don't have to, she already has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2L_BQ666pk

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#57CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 4:01am

Wonder about Enoch and Jigger casting...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#58CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 6:58am

so the 2017-18 season will be the year of revivals?

Once On This Island

Carousel

My Fair Lady

Smokey Joe's Cafe

Damn Yankees?

Dreamgirls?

Gypsy(w/Staunton)?

Singin In The Rain?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Tiann Nerng Chong
#59CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 7:10am

I love Jessie Mueller, but seems like a missed opportunity to cast a PoC actress as Julie, esp since Billy is being played by an African-American performer. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#60CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 7:15am

ACL2006 said: "so the 2017-18 season will be the year of revivals?

Once On This Island

Carousel

My Fair Lady

Smokey Joe's Cafe

Damn Yankees?

Dreamgirls?

Gypsy(w/Staunton)?

Singin In The Rain?

"

And Sweet Charity!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#61CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 7:34am

While I am thrilled with this news, I really wish it wasn't Jack O'Brien directing.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

10086sunset
#62CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 7:45am

bjh2114 said: "I love Jessie Mueller, but I just can't see her as Julie after having seen her play Carrie (which she was perfect for).  I am skeptical of Josh Henry's casting too.  The only one of these three who seems appropriately cast is actually Fleming."

These are also pretty much my thoughts exactly.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#63CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 8:16am

Tag said: "Fleming's casting is amazing, and completely overshadows Mueller's involvement.  People will pay just to hear You'll Never Walk Alone.  

How will Fleming handle 8 shows a week?

"

Nettie Fowler is not an incredibly long or difficult part. Fleming could do it in her sleep. She's wanted to do a Broadway musical for years--and has come very close in the past, although it was never publicly announced--and I doubt she'll have any problems. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#64CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 8:39am

DEAD. Carousel is my favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein show, and I can't wait to hear who will play Carrie and Enoch! Perhaps this should take a semi-smaller theatre...I think the Broadway might be too large for this kind of show...at least in the current industry climate.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#65CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 8:50am

Carousel is my favorite show of all time, and I'm encouraged that Justin Peck plans to honor Agnes DeMille's original choreography and that he watched a video of the transcendent Lincoln Center production from 1994. How I wish that one had been filmed for PBS. It was the perfect production!

HeleneIsASlut
#66CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:13am

RW3 already mentioned this but the casting for Jigger and Louise has been announced. Amar Ramasar as Jigger Craigin and Brittany Pollack as Louise. 

JAS Profile Photo
JAS
#67CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:25am

Hmmmm......."Billy is young" because most people recall the Hytner concept of Billy (played by Michael Hayden) in 1994, but that's NOT specified ANYWHERE in Hammerstein's libretto. It worked beautifully in the context of Hytner's stunning production, but Hayden's reedy tenor was very much an issue back in 1994, despite his incredible performance.

Nettie Fowler's casting does NOT a successful Carousel make, and I'm puzzled by Fleming's casting. I bow to no one in my admiration of her talent, but she is a creamy voiced, ethereal and rather placid soprano cast in the contralto role of a practical, Earth Mother New Englander.

Carousel is my favorite musical, and I'm excited about seeing it again, but this cast (as well as Jack O'Brien) has me worried.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#68CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:32am

"Billy is young" because most people recall the Hytner concept of Billy (played by Michael Hayden) in 1994, but that's NOT specified ANYWHERE in Hammerstein's libretto. 

John Raitt was 28 years old when he originated the role, several years younger than Hayden was in '94.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#69CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:37am

Yet again - Jack O'Brien's The Sound Of Music was pretty good. It was a small production, because it was supposed to be on tour (and has successfully been on the road for well over a year now), but the direction itself was fantastic.

I agree with folks who wanted to see Jessie as Carrie, but I think she's too far along in her career to take a featured role in a big production. Maybe I'm wrong and have no idea what Jessie wants/does not, but oh well.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#70CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:56am

I would love to see Ashley Park in this, but I'd rather see her as Eliza Doolittle. She's just about due for a leading role. (Also 2 classic soprano-led shows- my heart candle it)

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#71CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:04am

Butter Broadway wrote: "Carousel is done all the time."

...but not on Broadway! I'm looking forward to seeing Santo Loquasto's sets. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#72CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:53pm

I would love to see Geoff Packard as Enoch. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#73CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 1:07pm

I love the idea of Ashley Park as Carrie Pipperidge but I also would LOVE to see Emily Padgett in the role. I am more intrigued by the idea of Emily singing "When I Marry Mr. Snow". But Ashley Park as Carrie makes more sense with the direction they might be going with this production. 

tmbyru Profile Photo
tmbyru
#74CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 1:11pm

I don't know how I feel about this... I love the cast they announced and it gives me hope for the show, but I recently saw the Arena Stage revival and thought it was horrible. I actually left at intermission because I was so unentertained. Boring and bland. God I hope they go BIG instead of Arena's basic production. 

Videos