Posted: 10/28/19 at 12:02pm

Amy Spangler in Kiss Me Kate

Benjamin Walker in America Psycho

Barbara Walsh in Company

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#52Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 12:07pm

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I thought Ethan Hawke's performance in True West earlier this year was the best performance in his category. Much better than Cranston's scenery chewing, and I personally preferred his performance over the other strong nominees as well. I predicted at one point that he would be a dark-horse nominee over Adam Driver. Partly because of my own wishful thinking, but also because Hawke's performance was very well-reviewed, and many considered it a career high for him. 

EDIT: Scratch that - I can't believe I forgot about Jeremy Pope!! Pope would have been my pick to win, but Hawke would have been a close second.

Updated On: 10/28/19 at 12:07 PM

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#53Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 12:12pm

magictodo123 said: "Okay...don't bite my head off...but, now that I've seen both a couple of times....this is under the *SHOW* category, not actors in terms of who should have won....Come From Away should have won Best Musical."

I'm with you (although I'm not sure if I could decide between Come From Away, Great Comet, and Groundhog Day - frankly, I love all three). I finally saw Dear Evan Hansen a few months ago. Granted I saw a replacement cast (and I've heard Ben Platt was amazing), but I was underwhelmed and found it to be a very flawed show. 

Zion24
#54Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 4:29pm

Of recent memory:

Benjamin Walker in American Psycho

Various Actors in Side Show Revival

Allison Janney in Six Degrees of Separation

Michelle Williams in Cabaret (she and Janney, maybe not win if im being honest... but certainly a nomination)

Ben Wishaw in Crucible

Gideon Glick in Significant Other

To Kill A Mockingbird, generally

Rebecca Naomi Jones in Oklahoma!

Wayman_Wong
#55Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/30/19 at 1:47am

Glad to see all the love for Benjamin Walker in ''American Psycho.'' He really gave such a tour de force. But here's a reminder: The Drama Desk and the Outer Critics Circle DID nominate him for Best Actor in a Musical. In fact, they both showered ''American Psycho'' with about 8 nominations each. It won the prizes for Lighting and Projections from both groups. But the Tony nominators really screwed that show, giving it only 2 nominations: for scenic design and lighting. What a shame Walker and Co. didn't get to do a cast album of Duncan Sheik's score. But there is this appearance that they did of ''Selling Out'' on ''The Late Show'':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhJKsZ_5LG8

Updated On: 10/30/19 at 01:47 AM

magictodo123
#56Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/30/19 at 8:15am

Kitsune said: "magictodo123 said: "Okay...don't bite my head off...but, now that I've seen both a couple of times....this is under the *SHOW* category, not actors in terms of who should have won....Come From Away should have won Best Musical."

I'm with you (although I'm not sure if I could decide between Come From Away, Great Comet, and Groundhog Day - frankly, I love all three). I finally saw Dear Evan Hansen a few months ago. Granted I saw areplacement cast (and I've heard Ben Platt was amazing), but I was underwhelmed and found it to be a very flawed show.
"

Yeah...don't get me wrong, You Will be Found still hits hard, but I just am not as enamored with the show as much as I was with it when it first came to Broadway. I'd sooner see Come From Away than DEH again. 
Er...don't "come for me"...but I saw it twice and I just could  not get into Great Comet. Don't get me wrong--it has one of my favorite opening numbers of a musical. but I just couldn't get into it. 

Broadway61004
#57Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/30/19 at 10:07am

I second Johnny Lee Miller in Ink, although I can't 100% say he should have won since I didn't see Network.  But definitely should have at least been nominated.

I also felt they awarded the wrong Oslo performance--Michael Aranov was good, but I felt Anthony Azizi was even stronger and yet wasn't even nominated.

Esther
#58Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/30/19 at 10:17am

1992 Spiro Malas as Tony in Most Happy Fella should at least have been nominated for lead actor

1994 Burke Moses as Gaston in BATB should have been nominated and he should have won.  

2002 Jeff McCarthy as Officer Lockstock in Urinetown should have been nominated & he should have won. 

More recently- RBJ in Pippin, Benjamin Walker in American Psycho, Stephen Pasquale in Bridges - also at the very least should have been nominated. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#59Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/30/19 at 10:54am

It's crazy how many people are flat-out ignoring the prompt of this thread, and just turning this into a "complain about past Tony awards" thread. We've had plenty of threads discussing people we wish had been nominated, or people who we wish had won. But this OP asked a more specific question about people who should have WON, that weren't nominated. That part of the question is important, because it's the only thing keeps this thread from being redundant and boring. I'm not trying to be thread police, but it sort of feels like: unless we stick to the OP's question, there's really no point in rehashing all of this, except to give people another opportunity to air their complaints.

Mark Waltz Profile Photo
Mark Waltz
#60Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/30/19 at 12:56pm

I know the show "Tuck Everlasting" does not get a lot of love, but after seeing it, I was sure that Carolee Carmello would be a shoe-in. She got a Drama Desk nomination for a lesser part in "Finding Neverland" but was completely shut out for any nomination for "Tuck", and it was a much bigger, juicier role.  

One Grecian Ern

Jarethan
#61Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/30/19 at 7:26pm

I agree with Broadway that awfully lot  of posters didn't actually answer the question...who should have won, but they didn't even get nominated.  It was not intended to be another bitch session about people who didn't win.

I can think of two recent ones that satisfy the question for me.  

-- Tom Glynn-Carney (sic) for The Ferryman

-- Jeff McCarthy for Urinetown

and four from long ago:

-- Danny Kaye for Two by Two (I understand that he ad-libbed a lot into the run, but he was terrific when I saw him, and it was not a super-strong category IMO)

-- Dustin Hoffman for Death of a Salesman 

-- Anthony Hopkins for Equus (Peter Firth had the flashy role and was nominated, but Hopkins did a great job  in coming to realize that his life was not what he wanted it to be).

-- Vanessa Redgrave for Orpheus Descending (IMO she was still in the 'we can't vote for her stage, because she has an issue with Israel'Not Nominated / Should Have Won

Sure that there are others...just can't remember right now.

Roscoe
#62Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/31/19 at 1:40pm

For Dave Malloy to have not won a single Tony for GREAT COMET is one of the vilest blights on the record of that award.  

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#63Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/31/19 at 1:49pm

Richard Roxburgh in THE PRESENT.

AdamFeldman
#64Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/31/19 at 4:20pm

Stretching back a bit here, but: Nathan Lane for Love! Valour! Compassion! in 1995. 

(That was an especially awkward year for snubs. Lane was one of the telecast's hosts, and the nominations were announced by Kathleen Turner, who was herself a surprise non-nominee for Indiscretions.)

Updated On: 10/31/19 at 04:20 PM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#65Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/31/19 at 5:10pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Elena Roger - Evita

Helene Yorke - Bullets Over Broadway

Benjamin Walker - American Psycho

Gideon Glick - Significant Other
"

We share a brain. Completely agree.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#66Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 2:53am

Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich not getting nominated truly puzzles me. At least they both got Emmys for their work.

I have two other half examples

James McArdle in Angels in America. I completely support Nathan Lane’s win as he was sensational, but I think McArdle would’ve been just as deserving. Lane was a perfect Roy Cohn, but McArdle was able to work wonders with Louis, whose probably the most divisive character in the show (not that people seem to think he’s a poorly written character, they just find him too annoying). I thought McArdle brought out such genuine pain in a selfish person that even though I knew he wasn’t in the right, I couldn’t help but cry for him. Lane deserved it, but McArdle would’ve been just as worthy of the win. I actually think if Lane went lead as some people initially thought he would that McArdle would’ve won. His lack of a nomination is very likely due to the shows supporters rallying behind Lane and leaving the other supporting members in the dust. If Lane wasn’t there to take away those votes, I think McArdle would’ve had a lot more support and it would’ve translated to a win. Of course, maybe Anthony Boyle would’ve taken it, but I still think McArdle would’ve triumphed.

Jeff McCarthy in Urinetown. Absolute comedic perfection. The whole show was hilarious, but McCarthy was the true standout. His antics completely cracked me up, and even though the actual nominees that year are an extremely talented group of actors, I find the idea of McCarthy not getting recognized for his superb work despicable. But like I said, this is a halfway example. I definitely would’ve supported a McCarthy win, but Shuler Hensley was still wonderful in Oklahoma, in a perfomance that made people feel for Jud in a way that I think people rarely did before. Nowadays it feels like most Juds follow his more layered and sympathetic portrayal rather than the previous idea of a more one dimensional villain. So like the above case, it’s an example where I would’ve loved to see the snubbed actor win, but I can’t deny that the actual winner was just as deserving. On the topic of Urinetown snubs, I’d also like to note that Hunter Foster was snubbed for his performance as well. This snub doesn’t hurt as much as I wouldn’t have given him the win, and I preferred John Cullum’s deliciously evil turn as Cladwell, even though his part was clearly smaller (a definite case can be made his part is a supporting role). Bobby Strong is by no means a weak role, but I feel like his actor can easily be overshadowed by the other principles who are more colorful and overtly comedic. But moving back to the initial point, Foster should’ve been nominated and McCarthy would’ve been a deserving winner.

amlheureux
#67Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 4:21am

Amber Grey for The Great Comet.

Erin V
#68Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 7:08am

Aaron Tveit for Next To Normal 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#69Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 11:22am

Linda Eder for "Jekyll & Hyde". She got nominations from Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle voters for her performance.

amaklo
#70Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 11:29am

Jerry Herman's score for Mack & Mabel. 

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#71Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 11:35am

HamilHansen said: "It still baffles me Slater didn't take home Best Actor over Shaloub. Even Haden-Patton and Henry both could and should have won it over Shaloub."

Agreed, either of those two guys would have been a worthy choice.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#72Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 11:52am

TERRI FREAKING WHITE in the Follies revival. She brought the house down during "Who's That Woman" like I've never seen before, and have not since.

I do wonder how she's been...I know she has a great deal of health problems...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Alex Kulak2
#73Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 12:01pm

If I Forget by Steven Levenson and Downstate by Bruce Norris should have both at least been a finalist for the Pulitzer.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#74Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 4:15pm

JBroadway said: "I’m sure I could think of a bunch if I go through and look carefully at the seasons, but the first one that came to my head was just from a couple years ago:

Tony Yazbeck in Prince of Broadway. In my opinion, his performance of “The Right Girl” alone was far and away better than any other performance in that category. But he didn’t get nominated, and instead the slots went to Grey Henson, Gavin Lee, Norbert Leo Butz, Alex Gemignani, and of course, Ari’el Stachel, who ended up winning.
"

Same, same, same

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#75Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 2/20/20 at 11:49pm

Helen Lawson as Mame.  The famous opening night incident requiring the show to shut down until standby Angela Lansbury could take over, above the the title no less, was abominable and allowed Lansbury to steal Lawson's well deserved Tony.

Lawson as Mame

Videos