pixeltracker

Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film- Page 3

Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#50Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/13/23 at 9:10pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "John Hurt NEVER played Molina. William Hurt played Molina in the 1985 film adaptation and won a Best Actor Oscar for it."

Thanks for the correction--I DO know that, I own the movie, but seem to have a mental block whenever I write which Hurt was in the role.  At any rate, I am not a big fan of his performance, Oscar or not.

EricMontreal22
#51Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/13/23 at 9:18pm

"In terms of casting the character - in the book, Molina is described as a homosexual male, in prison for soliciting sex from minors. I suppose if we look at the character's gender through the lens of today, perhaps he might be nonbinary, but if set period, I don't know the character would fully identify in that way at that time."

Right, this is how I feel.  In the book, much is made of the fact that Molina is "a different side of being male" than Valentin.  Casting the role transfemme, I feel, complicates things further which wouldn't be true of the era (and it seems, for many reasons, that it would be hard to make it contemporary) but also makes Molina a different character which the text of the musical doesn't support.  There also seems a bit of a push for effeminate gay men depicted in the media right now to be shown as trans or nonbinary--a fear that they're not being true or authentic to the character if they don't.  Which, I just don't think is the reality for Molina in the musical or even more clearly in the novel (although I admit the novel is far from clear on a lot of things.)  Or true for many effeminate gay men who still worship and relate to female diva roles and performers.

EricMontreal22
#52Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/13/23 at 9:22pm

muscle23ftl said: "Eric, do you think that a man that feminine wouldn't have survived a jail in Argentina?

Your comment may be controversial, but we all have the right to express our opinions, free speech on BWW! Haha.
"

I admit my own issue with my feelings about this is I don't want to be seen taking away a potentially major trans role--though I feel like Molina was one of the first complicated gay roles in commercial Broadway musical theatre (no disrespect to La Cage) and still one of the few lead gay roles in a successful Broadway musical and we'd be taking that away...

As for if Molina would have survived jail?  Well--spoiler, he doesn't ;) but I do think Puig's novel and the musical especially (the movie muddies this a bit) show just how he manages to survive in the system.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#53Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/13/23 at 10:32pm

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

He gets killed after he is released from jail

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 12/13/23 at 10:32 PM

EricMontreal22
#54Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/14/23 at 12:37am

muscle23ftl said: "

He gets killed after he is released from jail

"

Well yes, fair enough, but

He's still killed by the prison warden who no longer has any use for Molina now that he won't comply.  ;)

DylanMark33
#55Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/28/23 at 7:02pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "John Hurt NEVER played Molina. William Hurt played Molina in the 1985 film adaptation and won a Best Actor Oscar for it.

"

Would you mind sending me a PM or an email? You sent me something a few years ago and I misplaced it and would very much appreciate your help if you have a moment! 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#56Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/29/23 at 7:51am

I had forgotten the child molestation angle.  Yes, this will go well.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#57Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/29/23 at 11:09am

We aren't banning Streetcar any time soon and Blanche has a similar backstory...

As for where Molina sits on a trans spectrum, I don't think there's any doubt he would identify as at least NB/GNC. In fact, the evidence that Molina presents and behaves is such a way *at that time* and in *such* a hostile environment means it has to be something core to Molina's identity. This isn't just a swishy gay man. But a character who actively identifies solely with female characters and uses whatever limited fashion expression available to appear more feminine. Most effeminate gay men wouldn't go through such hostility to attain that.

But of course, we're projecting our understanding and our values on a different time. So, it's all hypothetical!

And I'd argue the musical make this even more explicit with songs like She's A Woman, an entire I want song about wanting to be like Aurora, because she's ... a woman.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#58Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 12/29/23 at 1:08pm

No one is banning anything, but it is a horrible depiction of homosexuality.  Puig himself was deeply self-loathing and had disgust for other homosexuals that was typical of the era.  I have read some of his work in the original Spanish, and frankly I found it interesting but superficial, sort of a cut and paste style of literature with swatches of popular culture thrown in for good measure.  

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#59Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 1/26/24 at 10:01am

A friend is working on this film (production wise) and principal photography begins this April 2024 so it is indeed in full pre-production right now. Big musical dance numbers are to be expected in this film adaptation. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#60Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 1/26/24 at 10:30am

Impeach2017 said: "No one is banning anything, but it is a horrible depiction of homosexuality. Puig himself was deeply self-loathing and had disgust for other homosexuals that was typical of the era. I have read some of his work in the original Spanish, and frankly I found it interesting but superficial, sort of a cut and paste style of literature with swatches of popular culture thrown in for good measure."

It is an honest depiction of homosexuality by a writer from his persective in a specific time and place. Why is it so difficult for people today to look at art and the way people perceived human behavior through the lens of the time in which it is created?  What is so threatening about this?

Also - I remeber the charges against Molina being that he solicited a minor in a public restroom.  Its inferred this was a teenager barely underage. If you want to call that child molestation, okay, but Molina's character flaws don't, IMO include pedophilia 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 1/26/24 at 10:30 AM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#61Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 1/26/24 at 10:59am

BrodyFosse123 said: "A friend is working on this film (production wise) and principal photography begins this April 2024 so it is indeed in full pre-production right now. Big musical dance numbers are to be expected in this film adaptation."

Fantastic to hear. I was just wondering if anyone had an update, as I really hope this happens.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#62Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 1/26/24 at 11:47am

Sergio Trujillo choreographing, per the casting notice!

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#63Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 1/26/24 at 5:50pm

Theres some social media postings from auditions . I love this one.  
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2d3YPvN7Bk/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Updated On: 1/26/24 at 05:50 PM

BrodyFosse123
#64Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 2/4/24 at 7:55am

A semblance of what Aurora might look like:

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#65Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 1:46pm

Started filming today according to Lopez’s Instagram. 

EDIT: They’ve started production, not filming. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"
Updated On: 3/20/24 at 01:46 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 1:50pm

Plannietink08 said: "Started filming today according to Lopez’s Instagram."

I'm not seeing anything about this on her Instagram, either in posts or stories.

Edit: wait, I saw the story now... it's just a reshare of a quote that says "You're a doing a ****ing amazing job" and she added "Day 1" with a spider web emoji. I don't know that it necessarily means filming started, per se. It could be pre-pro or rehearsals.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/20/24 at 01:50 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#67Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 2:32pm

BJR said: "As for where Molina sits on a trans spectrum, I don't think there's any doubt he would identify as at least NB/GNC. In fact, the evidence that Molina presents and behaves is such a way *at that time* and in *such* a hostile environment means it has to be something core to Molina's identity. This isn't just a swishy gay man. But a character who actively identifies solely with female characters and uses whatever limited fashion expression available to appear more feminine. Most effeminate gay men wouldn't go through such hostility to attain that.

I know numerous effeminate gay men who live exactly as you describe above. I'm thrilled that our community is expanding and deepening our understanding of gender. But femme gay men and butch lesbians still exist and shouldn't be shoved to the side with the pejorative 'just a swishy gay man.' I'm not the swishy-est, but my obvious gayness is just as much an important part of my identity as my maleness. I can certainly see a trans non-binary version of Molina. But there's also value in Molina being a cisgender male character.  

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#68Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 2:53pm

My understanding is that Bill Condon wants Molina to be Trans for this film, which is not the story told in either the Bway show or the 80's film. It's a choice, which maybe will set this film apart in a unique way...? 

BrodyFosse123
#69Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 2:53pm

They just started dance rehearsals this week. Principal photography begins mid-late April 2024. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#70Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 5:01pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "My understanding is that Bill Condon wants Molina to be Trans for this film, which is not the story told in either the Bway show or the 80's film. It's a choice, which maybe will set this film apart in a unique way...?"

Interesting. It has been many years since I saw the film and went to look at the plot for the film and Molina's character is described as trans. The description for the character in the Musical was a gay window dresser.

Just give the world Love.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#71Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 7:59pm

Can this end up being worse than CATS?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BETTY22
#72Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 8:28pm

Im so excited about this....

Jennifer is going to be FABULOUS.....and she can dance. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#73Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 8:29pm

BETTY22 said: "Im so excited about this....

Jennifer is going to be FABULOUS.....and she can dance.
"

But she can't sing.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#74Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
Posted: 3/20/24 at 8:37pm

Nothing could be worse than CATS. I'm actually fairly optimistic about this.

Videos