pixeltracker

No nominations for Brooklyn??- Page 3

No nominations for Brooklyn??

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#50re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 5:52pm

You see.
I knew I was right to drink the iced tea in a can.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#51re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:05pm

If Dracula did not get any nomination, why should Brooklyn ?

Dracula was robbed - he he he

Poster Emeritus

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#52re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:12pm

Not to mention ALL SHOOK UP also got rejected by the Tony people. What is going on?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#53re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:16pm

Bee , I believe , is the in thing nominee this year. Something tells me, we will like Shook Up more than Bee. Something also tells me that when we see Piazza, the day of the Tonys, she will be out that performance

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#54re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 6:41pm

Not that you'd be going in with any preconceived notions or anything, Mr. Roxy. The kind you bitch and moan about when you assume that that's what critics do when they see your Frank Wildhorn shows.

Spelling Bee is a terrific little show. So, you're probably right. You'll like All Shook Up better. Just smuggle in your own bottled water so you don't stroke out over the cost.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#55re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 7:29pm

LOL. I've read the funniest thing as Musicals.net.

Some fools are going around saying "OMG EDEN SO DESERVED A TONY NOM OVER CHRISTINA APPLEGATE." I really laughed at these comments. Since when is screaming throughout a show worthy of a Tony nom? I don't get it.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#56re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 8:53pm

Brooklyn touched my soul, and I thank it. Espeacially since I was going through hard times. I don't know why but I really made a connection with it and there are some really hardcore fans out there.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#57re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:12pm

I haven't seen the show, so I can't really say if I like it or not.

However, I did see some production pics of the cast and I thought that the costumes were very.........creative, to say the least.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#58re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:52pm

Brooklyn's costumes outshined everything IMO

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#59re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 9:57pm

For those who say "anyone can be a kid" -- I guess Kristin Chenoweth didn't deserve her Tony for portraying a 5-year old, right?

Deet: Shira, I Love You!
Updated On: 5/10/05 at 09:57 PM

Plum
#60re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:03pm

Right, and Anika Noni Rose shouldn't have gotten a Tony for playing a teenager, either.

I think it's been made pretty clear that the people who think it's "easy" to play juvenile have no idea what they're talking about.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#61re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:08pm

i really am sad that it didn't get any nods....it really deserved something!! a nomination!! just one!!! not even the award..just the nomination!!

jesseeinstein
#62re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:26pm

Don't mess wit da bee!
It's astounding the amount of awesome theater that has hit Broadway this year. On my last trip down I saw Spelling Bee(for the 3rd time-I saw it 2 times off-bway), Dirty Rotten, and Piazza. I was impressed to no ends by all three, and I truly believe that this is the best year that B'way has had to offer in many years.
-Jesse

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#63re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 10:33pm

I previously sad the costumes were the only thing that stood out...i take that back...Once Upon a Time...is a great song and no matter what some may....Eden does great and sings her little heart out there - She deserved a nom for actress

Jon
#64re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/10/05 at 11:05pm

The category is "Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role", NOT "Loudest scream-singing".

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#65re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/11/05 at 1:14am

I have to say...

In the grand scheme of the Tony's, there have been far greater misgivings or moments of being overlooked - whether it be show, performance or design - than Brooklyn not getting nominated in one of the best seasons to hit The Great White Way in awhile.

Thinking of truly amazing, legendary performers who weren't nominated or were and lost and now they're classic and you can't even fathom them not winning...it's not the end of the world, I'm sorry Brooklyn fans, that they were not nominated.

I'm really not trying to be mean, I just think that if you're getting a nomination, your performance should be more than showing you have talent. It should really stand out and be something magical, and I personally just don't think Brooklyn brings that to the table. I don't think it showed what everyone is truly capable of as well as the other shows.

The competition was fierce, as it should be. I think it's harder to stomach and say "but c'mon, just give em' one nomination" because there hasn't been as much amazing stuff out there in the past few years to provide the kind of competition that this year offers.

Unfortunately, the Tony Awards are not meant to acknowledge effort, or to make sure no one feels 'snubbed' or that their hard work wasn't worth it or appreciated by the theatre community. They are meant to honor the very best in theatrical excellence. So to even say something along the lines of "of course I wouldn't expect it to win but they could've still nominated it" seems a little silly.

Or maybe it's just me. In my mind, every person or show or team nominated should be worthy of winning, not just nominated to fill the spaces on the ballot, which the past few years have sadly felt a lil like - there were obvious front runners.

I, for one, feel extremely lucky, after hearing all these sad stories for years about how Broadway is slowly dying, that there is so much great theatre this year in order to provide such great choices for these kinda nominations.

And honestly, as much as I personally do not care for BKLYN, I find it just as lucky that on top of all of that critically acclaimed material, those flocking to Broadway are still provided with shows they love, like Brooklyn.

It's not a bad thing necessarily if your fave wasn't among the tops - I'd just think of it as proof that Broadway is finally (hopefully, please God) making a comeback enough in its quality that even great shows aren't nominated cause there's just not room.

Sure beats the past few years of 'eh' in my opinion.

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#66re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/11/05 at 1:52am

I can't believe all this bitching about BKLYN when Good Vibrations didn't even get ONE nomination.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#67re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/11/05 at 1:58am

<---What about?

Better than GV

donnamurphy2
#68re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/11/05 at 2:08am

now, this is just my opinion but...BKLYN is nothing new. The concept is very Godspell, Hair, anything by Brecht. The costume design is far from extrodinary. Making clothes out of found objects is the first thing you learn to do in any design class. it's a concept that is very easy to replicate and will be seen again. as for the performers, they are very talented but so are many other people that can sing loud and hold a note for a long time.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#69re: No nominations for Brooklyn??
Posted: 5/11/05 at 2:37am

how is it going to be nominated? it doesnt surprise me at all....they wore trash in that show! why should they be nominated for best costumes?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#70BROOKLYN CLOSES
Posted: 5/11/05 at 4:24am

Okay- sorry to all of those of you who love this show- sorry to break it out the bad news for you- but I heard today that the show will be closing... I am sure the Tony nominations played a big deal about it...

As to the conversation that was going on-
In a day in age when most musicals being created are from a movie, or a book, or something that previously existed- I give a lot of credit to the producers for believing in creating something new. I think we as a Broadway community need to take control of our art form, cause it is dying... We cannot let big corporations bring their BIG projects, making virtually inpossible for small shows to find their audience. Broadway cannot turn into the place where films go to DIE!

AS to the cast of BROOKLYN-
The fact that some people think any of these people deserved or got cheated from a Tony Nomination baffles me- Yes these people are Talented, They are Kick Ass singers- BUT NONE of them are ACTORS- I love Eden and Romana as much as everyone else- but I have to be unbias (Cause I do love me some belty divas)that their voices carry their performances... None of them moved me through their acting, which I admit is not their strong point. I do see everyone in this cast going ito other projects and hopefully in time will become some of the strongest performers Broadway. So to nominate people whose acting is weak for an ACTING AWARD- does seem odd.

I know I will get backlash for my comments on this- but I am reminded of what Brent Bradley said in the NY Times about acting on Broadway nowadays... ( I am paraphrasing here) that is has turned into who can sing the loudest and highest, and be as American Idol as possible... Cause even though I don't agree with Mr. Bradley a lot of the time- I do look at the young people on this site and they all comment on people's voices... as if that was the only thing that matters about a show...

ok- don't kill me- reply
Robert

hapadancer Profile Photo
hapadancer
#71No noms for Brooklyn
Posted: 5/11/05 at 4:54am

I live out in Los Angeles and ever since I heard ONCE UPON A TIME at Thanksgiving...I fell in love with it. I purchased the CD and was very moved by the story and music. Everyone did a fantastic job! I'm sorry there is much hatred for the show...STEEL MAGNOLIAS didn't get any either which I am sad about. BTW, did DESSA ROSE open in time for Tony consideration. Because I read on playbill.com, the Christina Applegate made it to the show a day before Tony consideration ended. To me, how unfair for Charlotte D!!!

"When love comes so strong. There is no right or wrong. Your love is your life!" WEST SIDE STORY

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#72No noms for Brooklyn
Posted: 5/11/05 at 8:42am

hapadancer, Dessa Rose is an off-Broadway production, and therefore ineligible for a Tony...

Plum
#73No noms for Brooklyn
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:30am

Look, if you want to judge a live performance solely by the pretty songs and good voices, go to a concert. You wouldn't want your experience cluttered by all those extraneous things, like story and character.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#74No noms for Brooklyn
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:49am

Going back to mass suicide for the deranged, does anybody else have any other examples of such acts throughout history?

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Videos