pixeltracker

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22 - Page 33

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22

viagalactica6
#800Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 6:08am

Joviedamian said: "Could they do a Boyd Gaines and Patti Lupone pairing again?"

Oh God I hope not!!!!!

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#801Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 9:36am

ljay889 said: "qolbinau said: "The photos of Katrina and pants further make me wonder if her interpretation will be of a powerful, sexy woman that has men at her fingertips rather than a more wholesome, girl-next-door type that is trying to make her way in life but not quite getting there (Craig)...until the end of the show of course."

I think this is exactly what they’re going for. Even styling her with the big hoop earrings lends itself to this interpretation. I think she’s going to be totally sexy and irresistible in the role.
"

In the program for the London production, the director discusses “Sex & the City” as inspiration. (She mentions several other things as well.) Based on this initial pic, I do hope they lean into that a bit more.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#802Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 3:59pm

The London artwork did always feel a little Sex & City-esque to me, but I don't know if it actually felt like that in the show. So maybe this time they can achieve that a little more. Also, I 'heard' from a pretty good source that Craig was not asked to take to the show to New York. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#803Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 4:19pm

When I saw the production in London, I had absolutely no doubt that Craig based her performance on Sarah Jessica Parker’s Carrie Bradshaw.

JBC3
#804Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 4:47pm

TotallyEffed said: "When I saw the production in London, I had absolutely no doubt that Craig based her performance on Sarah Jessica Parker’s Carrie Bradshaw."

Agree. The picture of Lenk suggests a bit of Samantha may be appearing on Broadway, and I think that could totally work.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#805Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 5:01pm

JBC3 said: "I saw lots of center orchestra seats that were not premium and was actually surprised at that."

Starting row J (10th row) in the Orchestra starts $179 only during the week $189 weekends great seats so are the front mezzanine seating which usually is prime and perfect for the Jacobs!

We just got seats for the Saturday night b4 opening 3/21 for only  $189 each  for AMEX card holders

front row center-mezzanine A

Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 10/7/19 at 05:01 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#806Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 5:13pm

qolbinau said: "The London artwork did always feel a little Sex & City-esque to me, but I don't know if it actually felt like that in the show. So maybe this time they can achieve that a little more. Also, I 'heard' from a pretty good source that Craig was not asked to take to the show to New York."

I would love to know the real reason why she didn’t transfer. If they didn’t ask her, it must’ve been extremely heartbreaking for her being that she literally developed the production with Elliot from the beginning. Also, Elliot and Chris Harper are lead producers for Broadway, so it was probably even more hurtful if it was their decision. I also feel there was probably some fear that she wouldn’t come across sexy and New York enough for Broadway. With Lenk, that won’t be an issue. 
There was also a rumor that Craig was asked but couldn’t commit due to other projects in London.

Who knows?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#807Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 6:16pm

It would make sense if she wasn’t asked, as much as that would hurt her. When was the last time a Sondheim revival made money on Broadway? It’s a huge financial gamble, they don’t need to spend extra money on housing for foreign actors when they have actors perfectly suited for the roles right here in New York.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#808Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 7:12pm

The Night Music and Sunday revivals both recouped, but that was 100% due to having box office stars.
Once they couldn’t secure Anne Hathaway for this transfer, casting the sexy and daring Lenk certainly made more sense than Craig. I agree with you.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#809Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 10:55pm

I do wonder how this will sell. For us theater queens it's a HUGE get, but for the average theatergoer, will they care? I'm not sure. 

I remember seeing "War Paint" and "The Band's Visit" very easily. But maybe those 2 together and a title we all know will be a hot ticket? Not sure. Even "Angels..." wasn't a hard ticket to get. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#810Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/6/19 at 11:21pm

The marketing is already very appealing. I think it could gain momentum with the average theatergoer, especially being that it's opening in the spring, and there's also the possibility of winning several Tonys. 

Dolly80
#811Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/7/19 at 1:03am

Rosalie was told a while ago she wouldn’t be doing the show in NYC. They always needed someone with a name or more recognition to play the role on Broadway. A good thing too as she wasn’t very good in it IMO.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#812Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/7/19 at 2:18am

Fine for the West End, but the level required for NYC & Broadway performances are in a whole other league.

Interestingly a few on the popular west end board seem a bit disappointed by the potential change of interpretation in character as the marketing suggests. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/7/19 at 02:18 AM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#813Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/7/19 at 7:11am

qolbinau said: "Fine for the West End, but the level required for NYC & Broadway performances are in a whole other league.

Interestingly a few on the popular west end board seem a bit disappointed by the potential change of interpretation in character as the marketing suggests.
"

They’re into some pretty casual racism over there, too. 

Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#814Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/7/19 at 7:17am

Just read it. So dramatic. She does not look like a “hooker.” Marianne has already been praising Lenk’s sexiness and New York vibe. It’s a definite change in interpretation on Marianne’s behalf.
I didn’t see the production in London, but for what it’s worth, Brantley did give Rosalie a major rave, I’m sure it wasn’t a very easy decision to not bring her over.

Updated On: 10/7/19 at 07:17 AM

SamG88
#815Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/13/19 at 12:24pm

I saw this in London last year and I said to my friend afterwards that if it transfers I don't think they'll take Rosalie. I thought she was very good and brought some lovely qualities to the role but there was a certain something missing.  My friend who had never seen the show didn't realize that it was meant to be set in New York! He was thrown not only by Craig but by the 3 couples who seemed smalltown, anywhere USA to him so I had a feeling only Patti would remain for the NY cast. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Lenk can bring to the role. 

Anyway, I'm going to buy my ticket tomorrow. What do you guys think,  front mezzanine of 3rd row center orchestra?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#816Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/13/19 at 1:10pm

Front mezz or front orchestra are equally fabulous in the Jacobs. It’s a lovely theater.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#817Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/13/19 at 2:09pm

ljay889 said: "Front mezz or front orchestra are equally fabulous in the Jacobs. It’s a lovely theater. "

Unless you're sitting anywhere beyond the first row of the rear mezz, where it become a hellscape for anyone who has legs. 

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

gibsons2
#818Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/13/19 at 3:41pm

The sole reason I bought a ticket for this musical is Katrina Lenk. Initially I didn't like her vocals in Band's Visit, but then as I listened the soundtrack over the past two years, her voice grew on me and I appreciate her not being a typical Broadway musical actress. I am very excited to see the musical during my birthday month (March) along with several other new shows.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#819Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/13/19 at 4:59pm

I feel this should be a limited run. 6 months until September? Tickets sales are through Sept. 27 only now. If it's a hit, extend it through to the end of the year.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#820Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/13/19 at 5:32pm

Besides the gender reversal of the main character, has the book been updated at all?

Last night I saw a very intimate production of the original version. The book is so badly dated, that they set it in the 70's with everyone in period costume to help make it more accessible to a younger audience unfamiliar with the show. The songs are the thing though.
Also curious how the interaction between Joanne and the main character changes with the gender swap?
Possible SPOILERS in next questions

In the nightclub scene just after "Ladies Who Lunch, does Joanne still ask the "Bobby" character when they're going to make it, & suggest they come over tomorrow at 2 while her husband is out?
Also in the "Not getting married" scene, is the character now the bridesmaid instead of best man? This makes more sense, because in the original book it really feels like 2 men ganging up on the woman. 

Updated On: 10/13/19 at 05:32 PM

sng
#821Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/13/19 at 8:38pm

inception said: "In the nightclub scene just after "Ladies Who Lunch, does Joanne still ask the "Bobby" character when they're going to make it, & suggest they come over tomorrow at 2 while her husband is out?
Also in the "Not getting married" scene, is the character now the bridesmaid instead of best man? This makes more sense, because in the original book it really feels like 2 men ganging up on the woman.
"

Yeah the book has kinda been updated in some parts. The club scene, Joanne now offers Larry to Bobbie. This was very weird to me...

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#822Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/14/19 at 10:13am

Wasn't the Audience Rewards pre-sale supposed to start this morning? It's still only giving me AmEx as a payment method.

Edit: Going through the Audience Rewards site wasn't working, but clicking on the pre-sale tickets link from the show's website did. This one hurt, but I'm Row A front mezzanine for the performance on the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original production.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before
Updated On: 10/14/19 at 10:13 AM

Um Kulthum Profile Photo
Um Kulthum
#823Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/14/19 at 1:05pm

carolinaguy said: "Wasn't the Audience Rewards pre-sale supposed to start this morning? It's still only giving me AmEx as a payment method.

Edit: Going through the Audience Rewards site wasn't working, but clicking on the pre-sale tickets link from the show's website did. This one hurt, but I'm Row A front mezzanine for the performance on the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original production.
"

I had this same issue– thanks for the tip! I've got my ticket now and I'm so excited!

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#824Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/18/19 at 11:29pm

I'm probably reading into this too much, but Kyle Dean Massey posted on his instagram story the martini glass "Y" from the logo of Company. This probably doesn't mean anything, but maybe? he's? in? the? cast? LOL

Videos