WAR PAINT Previews

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#75WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:44am

Yes, "Hope in a Jar" surprised me too...

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#76WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:56am

I always buy a magnet at shows. While purchasing mine tonight I noticed they are selling makeup compacts that have the same design as the one on the scrim. There were also makeup brushes. 

Just give the world Love.

pattilupwned
#77WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 6:21am

Absolutely flabbergasted they cut "A Woman's Face" and "Hope in a Jar", which I have quoted many-a-time since seeing it in Chicago WAR PAINT Previews "War Paint" as a song was not exactly my favorite, so not saddened to see that's gone / revised, but I cannot believe they've reworked all of this to keep that horrible "Dinosaurs" song. BLAH!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#78WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 6:59am

They're in previews. Things could change throughout this period until the show is frozen. Songs can come back, some can get cut.  It sounds like they definitely need to do some trimming. 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#79WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 7:00am

uncageg said: "I always buy a magnet at shows. While purchasing mine tonight I noticed they are selling makeup compacts that have the same design as the one on the scrim. There were also makeup brushes."

This is brilliant. Really smart move. I know people who will buy a ton of these when they see the show.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#80WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 7:00am

I walked up at 7:49pm last night and got a $40 rush ticket in the rear mezz. I agree with a lot of the dramaturgical analysis above, yet still I actually agree more with Whizzer and CapNhook, I thought the show was GLORIOUS!!!!! Patti and Christine were in perfect voice - they sounded like twenty year olds. The show is not perfect, there lacks a driving plot point to push us through, still this is high camp at it's finest. Two divas who hate each other soooo much that although they run into each other over and over and over for fifty years, never dare to introduce themselves to each other. I found the show quite insightful, and interesting, and even though the music wasn't memorable, the lyrics were clever, and the melodies allowed Patti and Christine to soar into the rafters again and again for two hours and 45 minutes. Seriously... we get not one, but two 11 o'cock numbers - praise be the lord! The costumes, and set, and lighting were all glorious, and the one liners were right out of the Steel Magnolias handbook - my fave. This show will quickly become a camp classic and you DO NOT want to miss it. I will most definitely return to see it again! I left the theatre with a warm, fuzzy feeling inside - something like nostalgia. Brava ladies! Brava!

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#81WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 8:43am

My issue in Chicago was that the shows structure left the women no one to play off of. They steamroll the bland men in Act One, then clash with nondescript women from the chorus in Act Two. I was hoping the Revlon's or anybody else would get built up when the show transferred but it sounds like this was not the case.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

pattilupwned
#82WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 8:49am

MrsSallyAdams said: "My issue in Chicago was that the shows structure left the women no one to play off of. They steamroll the bland men in Act One, then clash with nondescript women from the chorus in Act Two. I was hoping the Revlon's or anybody else would get built up when the show transferred but it sounds like this was not the case.

"

Wholeheartedly agree. I was really hoping that the Revlon plot line would be integrated a bit more between both ladies, so that the climax in Act 2 involving them hit a little harder. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#83WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 8:54am

I'm especially intrigued to hear the score, because I find their work grows on me with every exposure. When I saw (the admittedly flawed) "Far From Heaven" I swore there was only one memorable song. Yet the recording is a wonder, as problematic as the piece is a theater. After decades of attending new musicals without benefit of prior recording exposure, I have a fair ear -- I can warm to, say "Light in the Piazza" on a first hearing in the theater, but not everything I attend. I think these gentlemen write exquisite melody, albeit with unresolved, complex lines. I suspect this score makes demands on the audience. I welcome that opportunity.   

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#84WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 8:59am

Descriptions like lack of a driving plot and difficult melodies are often used to describe Sondheim shows which eventually turn out to have cult followings. I wonder if this could be one of those shows? I can't wait to see it next week. It definitely doesn't sound like a show that will instantly please an average theatergoer, tourist, or teenager. 

Updated On: 3/8/17 at 08:59 AM

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#85WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 9:49am

Do MISS LUPONE AND EBERSOLE stage door?? Let me know thx...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#86WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 9:51am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Do MISS LUPONE AND EBERSOLE stage door?? Let me know thx...

"

From what I've seen on Instagram and FB, they do. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

broadwayboy223
#87WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 10:10am

They cut Hope in A Jar and War Paint? I quite liked both of them. Especially the title song. How is the new opening? I just hope these cuts really are for the best and not just so they can keep those too awful guy songs in. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#88WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 10:40am

They definitely need to clarify the staging of the opening number. The audience actually applauded a few times prematurely thinking different women in the ensemble were the two stars. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#89WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 10:55am

Cutting War Paint sounds like a step in the right direction.  To me, that whole sequence was seemed embarrassingly awkward in the Chicago production.  But it sounds like the fundamental flaws are still there, which I sort of expected.  For me, the she said/she said back-and-forth structure became predictable quite early and made the show tedious to watch, knowing that at the start of each scene, whichever woman you're watching, you'll get a repeat of the same subject from the other woman next, and repeat, and repeat, men, then back to the repetitive women scenes, and repeat, and repeat...  Add that to the terribly-written male and extraneous-character roles and the mostly forgettable score (that still retains the two worst songs) and I fear this show will limp along after the core musical theatre-obsessed fans have attended in the first few weeks.  I love LuPone and I think Ebersole is a very talented...person, but I'm not convinced the presence of the two of them will be sufficient to sell it.  I'm not even sure rave reviews would keep it alive among a season with Great Comet, Evan Hansen, Come From Away and Groundhog Day.  It'll get some Tony nods, with a possible win for Costumes, but it'll need to cling by its fingernails if it wants to run long enough to make it to the broadcast.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#90WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 11:02am

Auggie27 said: "I'm especially intrigued to hear the score, because I find their work grows on me with every exposure. When I saw (the admittedly flawed) "Far From Heaven" I swore there was only one memorable song. Yet the recording is a wonder, as problematic as the piece is a theater. After decades of attending new musicals without benefit of prior recording exposure, I have a fair ear -- I can warm to, say "Light in the Piazza" on a first hearing in the theater, but not everything I attend. I think these gentlemen write exquisite melody, albeit with unresolved, complex lines. I suspect this score makes demands on the audience. I welcome that opportunity.   

"

As so often happens, I completely agree with Auggie. FAR FROM HEAVEN has become one of my favorite scores; I know it's heresy around here but I actually like it even better than I like the score to GREY GARDENS. I can't wait to hear the score to WAR PAINT.

slow_the_rain
#91WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 11:06am

ljay889 said: "Descriptions like lack of a driving plot and difficult melodies are often used to describe Sondheim shows which eventually turn out to have cult followings. I wonder if this could be one of those shows? I can't wait to see it next week. It definitely doesn't sound like a show that will instantly please an average theatergoer, tourist, or teenager. "

My problem wasn't with things being memorable in a "humming them after the show" sense. Many of the songs seem to meander without any unifying theme or melody, and the entirety of the score blends together in my mind. They seemed like poorly constructed, generic songs. I'm honestly surprised to see so much praise for the lyrics as well...what I could understand (read: Ebersole's songs) seemed so trite and banal...there were groans in the mezzanine after certain lyrics and one liners...

In short, if they're going for camp, they sure are taking themselves quite seriously.

BwayGeek2 Profile Photo
BwayGeek2
#92WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 11:07am

WhizzerMarvin said: "I'm just getting home from tonight's previous and I thought it was a pretty glorious evening. Patti and Christine were on fire! On fire, I tell ya! Patti's voice is in such peak condition that she could sing eight War Paint performances a week on top of eight Evita performances. Christine is in equally resplendent voice and Face to Face (the act one closer) has been playing on a loop since I heard it. 

I loved the show in Chicago and I still love it now. They made some changes, including the cutting the original opening, 85-90% of the show arrived intact. 

I score is terrific. The melodies are tuneful and catchy; it's beyond refreshing to hear such intelligent lyrics too. I appreciated the book even more than I did in Chicago. There are so many nice little scenes that convey so much with so very little. 

But, this is a double star vehicle and that's what this evening is all about. Yes they are exploring themes about feminism and beauty- these two women were CEOs and power players long before it was socially acceptable to be so, and yet they created beauty products that could be considered decidedly anti-feminist. And yet, everything else about the evening is insignificant when you get to engage in such rarefied diva worship as you are able to in War Paint. I plan on seeing this many, many times. 

"

Totally agree with Whizzer. The show was in great shape for a first preview. I'm so glad I got to see it last night and can't wait to go back. The ladies sounded amazing, and the changes from Chicago were great, for the most part. There's nothing like hearing those ladies sing together (I kind of wish they had a few more duets). I'm looking forward to seeing it again this weekend and the changes they'll continue to make in previews.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#93WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 11:26am

slow_the_rain said: "ljay889 said: "Descriptions like lack of a driving plot and difficult melodies are often used to describe Sondheim shows which eventually turn out to have cult followings. I wonder if this could be one of those shows? I can't wait to see it next week. It definitely doesn't sound like a show that will instantly please an average theatergoer, tourist, or teenager. "

My problem wasn't with things being memorable in a "humming them after the show" sense. Many of the songs seem to meander without any unifying theme or melody, and the entirety of the score blends together in my mind. They seemed like poorly constructed, generic songs. I'm honestly surprised to see so much praise for the lyrics as well...what I could understand (read: Ebersole's songs) seemed so trite and banal...there were groans in the mezzanine after certain lyrics and one liners...

In short, if they're going for camp, they sure are taking themselves quite seriously.

"

I agree with this. For me this was not an instance of the songs being problematic because they weren't hummable at first blush - it was that I felt that they weren't well crafted. The entire evening felt so pedestrian to me - in script, direction, story line. I think its a great concept, but I think it needed a Tommy Tune at the helm to pull it into something worthy of its leading ladies.  

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#94WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:16pm

Wait, are they going for camp? Why would they be going for camp?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#95WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:21pm

I don't think they are going for camp... but the best camp never does.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#96WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:31pm

QueenAlice said: "They definitely need to clarify the staging of the opening number. The audience actually applauded a few times prematurely thinking different women in the ensemble were the two stars."

Yes. That one enseble member is a dead ringer for Ebersole in costume. I even applauded but while doing so was actually wondering if this was how the two entrances were going to be made. It was confusing.she got nice entrance applause but I was thinking, did she slip offstage and change for her big entrance? 

I still can't get over how fabulous they sounded. And their harmonies together. Just incredible.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#97WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:35pm

This show isn't nearly entertaining enough to qualify as camp.

i think they should just bring up the curtain and the first thing you see is Patti and Christine standing center stage. The audience would go wild. I felt like the audience partly wasn't even paying attention to the opening number because they were anticipating the entrance of the leading ladies.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#98WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:41pm

Queen, I was expecting that to happen. But as it started I thought that somewhere in the middle of the opening number the two would enter at the same time. That I would have loved. Make us wait just a bit.

pattilupwned
#99WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:43pm

QueenAlice said: "This show isn't nearly entertaining enough to qualify as camp.

i think they should just bring up the curtain and the first thing you see is Patti and Christine standing center stage. The audience would go wild. I felt like the audience partly wasn't even paying attention to the opening number because they were anticipating the entrance of the leading ladies.

"

In terms of the opening, that was exactly how it was in Chicago. The two of them were at separate vanities putting on makeup as the "curtain" rose, where they both sang "A Woman's Face" to setup the scene.

Videos