pixeltracker

Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!- Page 4

Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#75Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/12/21 at 9:17am

SouthernCakes said: "Does it move around or what does it do? Just love sets and everyone seems to be praising it."

The center section spins around to become another set, and the storefronts in the side sections pop out and spin around.

SouthernCakes
#76Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/12/21 at 11:23am

Thanks!!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#77Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/12/21 at 10:39pm

Just got home. What a delight! This was so much fun. My girlfriend and I both had a total blast. Like all great productions of Shakespeare's comedies, they really make it their own, and use Shakespeare's text as a jumping off point to find their own comedy. Jacob Ming-Trent gives a performance for the ages as Falstaff! 

For those wondering: I would classify this as a true production of Merry Wives of Windsor. Even though Bioh and Ali take many liberties (to great effect!), it predominately rests on Shakespeare's text - as opposed to something like, say for example, West Side Story, which just takes uses the story while replacing the names and dialogue. I'm just making a note of it for anyone who likes to study up on their Shakespeare beforehand, or for people like me who keep meticulous lists. I'm crossing this off my list of Shakespeare plays to see live. 30 down, 8 to go! 

Updated On: 7/12/21 at 10:39 PM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#78Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/15/21 at 12:11am

Did anyone see yesterday’s (Tuesday) performance? I saw the show tonight and at the beginning the director came out to tell the audience that because of something that happened during the curtain call last night, Falstaff would be played by Brandon E. Burton tonight instead. Was Jacob Ming-Trent injured?

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#79Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/15/21 at 12:41am

Cape Twirl of Doom said: "Did anyone see yesterday’s (Tuesday) performance? I saw the show tonight and at the beginning the director came out to tell the audience that because of something that happened during the curtain call last night, Falstaff would be played by Brandon E. Burton tonight instead. Was Jacob Ming-Trent injured?"

I have no information beyond what you just said, but if Ali said it was because of something that "happened during curtain call" I think we can safely assume it was an injury. If it was some personal emergency, it's unlikely that he'd mention the curtain call thing. Either way, what a shame for him! How was Burton? 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#80Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/16/21 at 12:20pm

Does anyone know how Jacob Ming-Trent is? Has he returned as Falstaff?

BCfitasafiddle
#81Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/16/21 at 12:35pm

So jealous of everyone getting to see this. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

rg7759
#82Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/16/21 at 10:28pm

Look..i only mean to have a discussion. I enjoyed it..but was it offensive? What worked with much ado, strange loop, and even coming 2 America here just feels like the same formula but Harlem just being the butt of the joke to a mostly non harlem audience. Is it what is supposed to be the culmination of a year of activism? I'm not saying merry wives has all the answers.

Updated On: 7/16/21 at 10:28 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#83Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/17/21 at 12:10pm

I saw the show last night and was so happy it didn't rain! Brandon E. Burton was on as Falstaff, and I think he did a great job. Still, I wondered how Ming-Trent would have been! (Plus, why haven't we found out what happened to him? Was the curtain call changed to make it less hazardous?)

As for the the play being offensive, it did cross my mind as I was watching that some of the portrayals may have bordered on stereotypes and didn't present the characters in the best light. I looked around and saw an audience consisting mainly of white people and felt a bit uncomfortable, even as I was laughing.

Then I thought, Shakespeare made fun of Falstaff, as well as the other characters, and we don't think that he was a stereotype of a slovenly ne'er-do-well. We accept him as an individual, and that's what I tried to do last night. Also, the adapter is a person of West African heritage, and who am I as a white person to second-guess her? 

I would welcome hearing what people of color think about the show, and also how gay people feel about the portrayal of the gay characters, particularly the doctor.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#84Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/17/21 at 12:30pm

(Speaking as a white person with limited perspective)

I didn't get the sense at all that Harlem itself was the butt of any joke. In many ways, it struck me as a loving ode to the culture, diversity, and humanity of the people who lived there. Some of the characters and circumstances were ridiculous in nature, but that ridiculousness seemed to come from a human place: Falstaff is ridiculous because of his brash personality, whereas Madam Ford and Madam Page are ridiculous because they're so savvy, and so eager to have fun, and Mama Quickly is ridiculous because she has her fingers in too many pies, and gets caught up in intricate schemes, in which she has a large amount of agency. None of that seems to me to be at the expense of the community, its people as a whole, or their Blackness. 

Were the accents and mannerisms stereotypical though? Possibly. I can see a case for it, but if so, I would defer to a lot of what macnyc said: it was executed by artists with African heritage, and I don't personally know very many African immigrants, so I can't really say if it was authentic enough. But like macnyc said, I would also be curious to hear other African perspectives on the production, because it's true that marginalized artists are still capable of inadvertently indulging in problematic tropes about their people. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#85Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/17/21 at 12:31pm

macnyc said: "why haven't we found out what happened to him?"

The sad truth is, it's probably because he's not famous enough to warrant any news coverage on it. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#86Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/19/21 at 3:37pm

Recordings of curtain call were not allowed when I watched this production on Saturday July 10th (the one that had a 2 hour rain delay.) From what I recall, the cast members would have their own special type of dance to the music before taking their well-deserved bow.

I hope Ming-Trent is ok and am glad the Public postponed opening night to give him time to heal. He does have an instagram acct but it looks like his last post was back in Dec 2020. https://www.instagram.com/jmingsdynasty/

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#87Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/19/21 at 5:40pm

Very interesting, Wick3! When I watched the curtain call on July 16, I wondering what could have possibly caused Ming-Trent to hurt himself, because it seemed pretty straightforward to me. Burton (as Falstaff) walked directly out and went to the edge of center stage for his bow. 

Updated On: 7/20/21 at 05:40 PM

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#88Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/19/21 at 10:15pm

I was there the Tuesday night Ming-Trent hurt himself. When he walked out for his bow during curtain call, he fell while walking to the front of the stage (I don’t know exactly how it happened, but from my seat it looked like he might have just slipped). I actually wasn’t sure if the fall was real - I thought it might have been planned (seemed in line with Falstaff’s character), but the cast did gather around him to see if he was okay. (I also asked my friend who had seen the show Monday night and he confirmed that the fall didn’t happen at that curtain call, which was when I knew it was real.) From what I could tell, he got up and seemed okay, but he obviously got more seriously hurt. I hope he has a speedy recovery!

alexidarling15
#89Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/21/21 at 9:11am

I saw the show last night and Brandon Burson is still in. He was hilarious, though I would be curious to compare him to Ming-Trent. The actors, costumes, and set design were all top-notch - I wish they would sell copies of Falstaff's Discretion / Valor poster! 

Also, they moved the opening night to August because of the injury so I'm guessing Burson will be in for at least the next week?

https://deadline.com/2021/07/jacob-ming-trent-merry-wives-shakespeare-in-the-park-opening-postponed-injury-1234795831/

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#91Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/21/21 at 8:24pm

so, how are they going to continue with this show and now open if covid +cast?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Theater3232
#92Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/21/21 at 8:44pm

Their Twitter (posted around 6pm) stated "Earlier today, we learned that a member of the production has tested positive for COVID...we are cancelling tonight’s performance".  What time did they notify tonight's attendees if they learned about this earlier today?  Hopefully not at 6pm when many were already in transit due to a 7pm pickup time.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#93Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/21/21 at 9:30pm

Per Equity’s guidelines for “fully vaccinated” productions (assuming MERRY WIVES is one), it seems like they should be able to have the show reopened soon barring any additional positive tests.

From AEA’s rider:
PROTOCOLS FOLLOWING A POSITIVE TEST – Equity must be immediately notified.
a. Anyone who is sick or tests positive for COVID-19 will not be allowed to attend work until
evaluated and cleared by a licensed health care provider.
b. Any positive COVID-19 antigen test must be followed immediately up with an FDA authorized
PCR test for confirmation. The COVID-19 Safety Manager(s) will ensure that anyone with a positive test immediately self-isolates and contacts their licensed health care provider for further instructions. The COVID-19 Safety Manager will stay in contact with anyone that is isolated due to a positive test.
c. If an individual is confirmed positive for COVID-19 using the PCR test, the vaccinated group must be tested. Any additional positive antigen tests must then be followed up with an FDA authorized PCR test for confirmation and follow the same self-isolation protocols. The COVID-19 Safety Manager will determine who has been exposed and what additional precautions are necessary. The CDC’s and local government’s public health recommendations for community-related exposure will be followed.

Seems like the show is finishing up the first sentence of part c above and canceled tonight and tomorrow out of an abundance of caution to make sure everyone is tested.

Hopefully once Broadway reopens, each theater will have antigen testing capabilities in-house and won’t have to cancel random single performances. Or perhaps AEA changes its guidelines to be more in line with CDC recommendations, which currently state a vaccinated person need only be tested post-exposure if showing symptoms.

That’s what I’m seeing from my armchair anyway. Anyone with a different read?

Updated On: 7/21/21 at 09:30 PM

willep
#94Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/21/21 at 10:49pm

I would guess they are on “b” not “c”. The person probably tested positive from the rapid test today and now they are waiting for the PCR results.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#95Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/21/21 at 11:33pm

I suggested in comment #11 that they should do two bubble casts/crews. :)

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#96Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/21/21 at 11:45pm

Tag said: "I suggested in comment #11 that they should do two bubble casts/crews. :)"

It was silly then and it is silly now, unless your comment has a big fat check with lots of 0's attached to it.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#97Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/23/21 at 12:46pm

This evening's (Friday) show has been cancelled also according to their website.

Just give the world Love.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#98Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/23/21 at 12:56pm

uncageg said: "This evening's (Friday) show has been cancelled also according to their website."

Yeah. They posted on socal media as well. But it seems that not so much on the Covid issue but "artistic and logistical efforts." LOL. Fancy way of saying "understudies"? 😅

https://twitter.com/PublicTheaterNY/status/1418601166028431361?s=19

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#99Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!
Posted: 7/25/21 at 12:08pm

Last night's performance luckily went on. Chuck Schumer was there and gave a political speech beforehand, before almost taking a really bad tumble off the stage. He's getting old. Saheem Ali also gave a speech, mentioning that 6 understudies were on. There was one call for line, but other than that everyone did well and the performance was smooth.

Overall, I thought the show was successful, making accommodations for the fact that Merry Wives is one of Shakespeare's worst plays. As is typical of MWW productions, the play got more enjoyable as the evening waned. Bioh's adaptation was fun and fresh, and setting the play in Harlem was a smart choice — I don't always like when directors pick a new location for a Shakespeare play, but having it directly set in the community we live in gave the play immediacy and relevance without having to strain. In particular, I liked Brandon E. Burton as Falstaff and Susan Kelechi Watson as Mistress Ford, and Beowulf Boritt's set was pretty spectacular.

Side note: the people right behind me in the audience were audibly trying to figure out the plot and deeply failing to understand what was happening. And Merry Wives is one of the most simplistic and easy-to-understand plays Shakespeare ever wrote. I worry for the future of Shakespeare performances.

Videos