pixeltracker

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread - Page 5

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread

PipingHotPiccolo
#100BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 10:50pm

i find Platt to have an irritating persona (in interviews, i mean) and have zero interest in seeing what seems like a misfire of a production.

but the level of antagonism towards him is stunning. his talent seems undeniable, and he got his start doing objectively adequate (and in my opinion, stellar) work in the Book of Mormon tour. The anger at his father's success is so petty and many of the snipes at him are unhinged. So much therapy needed to work out these weird demons.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#101BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 10:59pm

Peter Barker said: "Has anyone actually seen the concert? I'm curious how he engages the audience and if his banter between songs comes across asrelaxedand naturalor more scripted andrehearsed. As a talented and two-time Tony Award winning theater actor, he ticks all the boxes that most people want from Broadway performers. It's a shame that his offscreen persona overshadows this.

"

At last night’s show, the banter felt planned but not scripted. It felt like the beats were planned, but it was still somewhat off the cuff. He seemed a touch nervous, perhaps, and a little goofy. Not hugely noteworthy in a good OR bad way.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#102BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 11:01pm

I roll my eyes at anyone who gets “mad” at people getting jobs through their family. Hell, Nicky down the street works at his dads bodega - is he a nepo baby? Of course children of rich and famous people are going to have a leg up in the entertainment business. Being angry about that is beyond stupid. 

Zeppie2022
#103BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 11:08pm

https://nypost.com/2024/05/29/entertainment/ben-platt-opens-palace-theatre-residency-with-kacey-musgraves/

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#105BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 11:15pm

I saw the show tonight. I had a good time. Ben is very talented. He only knows how to make one face, but his voice is wonderful. I liked his own songs more than I expected. I knew a few of the older ones and like the sound of the new album. The best parts of the concert were undeniably all the covers though. Highlights of the night were Till There Was You with Kristen Chenoweth (they were Marian and Winthrop at the Hollywood Bowl), Requiem, Maybe This Time, and Somewhere Over the Rainbow. 

To answer Peter Barker's question, I thought he was wonderfully relaxed and off-the-cuff. He came accross very genuinely and was much more funny than I would have thought. 

This was my first time at the Palace and it's just such a special venue. The auditorium itself looks GORGEOUS. I love the new color scheme and the chandelier. All of the new spaces look very pretty. But, besides the bathrooms, it's giving Marquis in that it seems squeezed in because it had to be and not super practical. The box office and escalators were fine going in, but it felt very tight in the lobby at the top of the escalators. The stairway down to the bathrooms below the orchestra felt very tight and like it could easily get very clogged. The real problem was on the way out. There is NOWHERE near enough space at the bottom of the escalators to allow people to safely exit them and make space for the people behind them. It was pouring out after the show, so people were congregating under the marquee. It was very crowded. Coming off the escalators, you had to shove quickly to get out of the way before the people behind you needed to get off. It could get dangerous very quickly. 

Peter Barker
#106BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 11:41pm

Wayman_Wong said: "''As atwo-time Tony Award winning theater actor ...''

Platt haswon only one Tony Award: for ''Dear Evan Hansen.''
"

Yes, he was only nominated for Parade. I stand corrected. 

Peter Barker
#107BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:02am

kcohen626:

Thanks for the review. I've only seen a few theater 'concerts' and they all live or die by how well the performer reads the room and engages the audience. Short of Judy Garland clawing her way on stage for a duet, it seems the reopening of THE PALACE (edit) won't be fondly remembered. 

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 12:02 AM

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#108BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:11am

So Kristin was his guest tonight?  Can anyone confirm?

smidge
#109BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:12am

Jordan Catalano said: "I roll my eyes at anyone who gets “mad” at people getting jobs through their family. Hell, Nicky down the street works at his dads bodega - is he a nepo baby? Of course children of rich and famous people are going to have a leg up in the entertainment business. Being angry about that is beyond stupid."

Younger people like to latch onto a buzzy phrase or concept without knowing what they’re talking about. Their indignation is meaningless.

smidge
#110BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:16am

Peter Barker said: "kcohen626:

Thanks for the review. I've only seen a few theater 'concerts' and they all live or die by how well the performer reads the room and engages the audience. Short of Judy Garland clawing her way on stage for a duet, it seems the reopening of The Majestic won't be fondly remembered.
"

This is taking place at the Palace.

Peter Barker
#111BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:20am

smidge said: "Peter Barker said: "kcohen626:

Thanks for the review. I've only seen a few theater 'concerts' and they all live or die by how well the performer reads the room and engages the audience. Short of Judy Garland clawing her way on stage for a duet, it seems the reopening of The Majestic won't be fondly remembered.
"

This is taking place at the Palace.
"

Of course it's The Palace! It's late and I'm going to bed!! 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#112BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:23am

Shubert Alley Cat said: "So Kristin was his guest tonight? Can anyone confirm?"

Yes, there are photos and videos online, and post 105 right above yours talks about it. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#113BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:40am

Jordan Catalano said: "I roll my eyes at anyone who gets “mad” at people getting jobs through their family. Hell, Nicky down the street works at his dads bodega - is he a nepo baby? Of course children of rich and famous people are going to have a leg up in the entertainment business. Being angry about that is beyond stupid."

its just so particularly egregious in this case-- he has a (more classically attractive, more readily cast-able) brother with the same connections, but who doesnt have the raw talent needed for star turns in Book of Mormon, Dear Evan Hansen and Parade. The idea that Marc Platt had to twist anyone's arm to cast Ben in these roles that make him a Broadway star is comical.  And his connections are doing little for his movie/music careers, because that isnt what he naturally excels at. In so many ways he is the OPPOSITE of a nepo baby.

anyway 2+ hours of listening to him sing is not for me, but i look fwd to his next theater performance.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#114BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 1:22am

Ben’s been hit or miss for me, although he’s obviously talented. But I’m just trying to understand, what is so wrong with him saying, “I’m opening the Palace tonight”? Was he not opening the Palace that night?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#115BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 8:14am

Shubert Alley Cat said: "So Kristin was his guest tonight? Can anyone confirm?"

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread

EvanstonDad
#116BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 10:20am

EvanstonDad said: "Oof, looking at the ticket availability for this is actually painful. I mean I literally can't imagine who would want to see this guy in concert, and I would never buy a ticket myself. But still, it's hard not to feel for anyone playing to audiences as sparse as this."

I’m sure your heart genuinely bleeds for him. 🙄. I’ve never come across so many people who dislike an entertainer so much, yet continuously monitor their ticket sales, watch their videos, and are quick to post in every thread about them. My God, this level of jealousy and envy must be a real bitch to bear. It’s hard not to feel for them.

You make it sound like I'm obsessed with Ben Platt. I saw this thread and got curious about how it was selling based on what people were saying, so looked at seating charts. So you read into that that I'm jealous and envious to the point where I'm "continuously" monitoring his every move? Way to leap to huge assumptions about a random stranger on the internet who posted one thing. This says more about you and your mentality than it does me.

gibsons2
#117BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 10:45am

A kid selling candy at dad's bodega or sitting on a board of daddy founded company is called keeping wealth in the family. It's normal and expected when kids continue working in businesses founded by parents. It's called being an heir. Family will always have a business best interest. It's not correct to compare art and entertainment with other industries. Art is about discovering and showcasing the best talent, which certainly is not hereditary, and some famous nepo babies are quite talented in their own right. But then we have "actors" like Dakota Johnson and I keep wondering who lost all these roles she's been in to her. Someone never got a chance to be discovered because she has a leg up, all thanks to her famous (and talented) parents. We are not angry, just disappointed :)

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 10:45 AM

OhHiii
#118BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 10:58am

morosco said: "Platt sings "Vibrato This Time" from CABARET"

This is objectively horrible.

gibsons2
#119BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:02am

OhHiii said: "morosco said: "Platt sings "Vibrato This Time" from CABARET"

This is objectively horrible.
"

Glad someone said it...

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#120BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 1:49pm

EvanstonDad said: "Oof, looking at the ticket availability for this is actually painful. I mean I literally can't imagine who would want to see this guy in concert, and I would never buy a ticket myself. But still, it's hard not to feel for anyone playing to audiences as sparse as this."

Lucious said: “I’m sure your heart genuinely bleeds for him. 🙄. I’ve never come across so many people who dislike an entertainer so much, yet continuously monitor their ticket sales, watch their videos, and are quick to post in every thread about them. My God, this level of jealousy and envy must be a real bitch to bear. It’s hard not to feel for them.”

EvanstonDad said: “You make it sound like I'm obsessed with Ben Platt. I saw this thread and got curious about how it was selling based on what people were saying, so looked at seating charts. So you read into that that I'm jealous and envious to the point where I'm "continuously" monitoring his every move? Way to leap to huge assumptions about a random stranger on the internet who posted one thing. This says more about you and your mentality than it does me.
"

Everything I said after my first, admittedly, sarcastic comment was not directed at you specifically. I was commenting in general on the number of haters on this board who do exactly as I stated. If I came off presumptuous by giving the impression that I was lumping you in with them, then I apologize for not being more succinct. 

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 01:49 PM

EvanstonDad
#121BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:19pm

Lucious said: “I’m sure your heart genuinely bleeds for him. 🙄. I’ve never come across so many people who dislike an entertainer so much, yet continuously monitor their ticket sales, watch their videos, and are quick to post in every thread about them. My God, this level of jealousy and envy must be a real bitch to bear. It’s hard not to feel for them.”

EvanstonDad said: “You make it sound like I'm obsessed with Ben Platt. I saw this thread and got curious about how it was selling based on what people were saying, so looked at seating charts. So you read into that that I'm jealous and envious to the point where I'm "continuously" monitoring his every move? Way to leap to huge assumptions about a random stranger on the internet who posted one thing. This says more about you and your mentality than it does me.
"

Everything I said after my first, admittedly, sarcastic comment was not directed at you specifically. I was commenting in general on the number of haters on this board who do exactly as I stated. If I came off presumptuous by giving the impression that I was lumping you in with them, then I apologize for not being more succinct. 

Thanks for clarifying and no hard feelings. Your follow up message shows more maturity than 99% of people on the internet :)

DJD4
#122BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:47pm

Jarethan said: "DJD4 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread"

I meeeaannn......... Thanks? He could'vesaid that a year ago and it might've meant more but now it just feels like he's trying to save face. At least he's commented on it now though so that's a start.
"

WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE? Nothing else to whine about. There are a number of nepo baby successstories and probably a lot more that are not. Who really gives a flying -buck!!
"

Oh my. Shame on me for contributing to the conversation. No need to pull daggers out, this is a broadway chat board, not a boxing ring.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#123BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 3:46pm

gibsons2 said: "But then we have "actors"like Dakota Johnson and I keep wondering who lost all these roles she's been in to her. Someone never got a chance to be discovered because she has a leg up, all thanks to her famous (and talented) parents. We are not angry, just disappointed :)"

Uh... Dakota Johnson has been the best thing about virtually every movie she's been in.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#124BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/30/24 at 5:01pm

Luscious said: "EvanstonDad said: "Oof, looking at the ticket availability for this is actually painful. I mean I literally can't imagine who would want to see this guy in concert, and I would never buy a ticket myself. But still, it's hard not to feel for anyone playing to audiences as sparse as this."

"

Everything I said after my first, admittedly, sarcastic comment was not directed at youspecifically. I was commenting in general on the number of haters on this board who do exactly as I stated. If I came off presumptuous by giving the impression that I was lumping you in with them,then I apologize for not being more succinct.
"

But it was fine for you to say sarcastically that I was full of .... when I said I was offered comp tickets and asked how many I wanted. By now you have seen others also saying there were offered comps.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Videos