#1225Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/6/23 at 2:38pm

Let's get Matt Doyle in there.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#1226Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/6/23 at 2:54pm

Chase Miller said: "Why is he leaving?"

I wonder if he only had a 4 month contract? Rather odd that he's leaving so suddenly.

Updated On: 6/6/23 at 02:54 PM

B212323
#1227Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/6/23 at 11:07pm

I assume he got a TV series or film. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1228Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/6/23 at 11:09pm

Except with the writers strike there are no TV shows or films happening.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

OMG U Guyz
#1229Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/7/23 at 1:48am

Shows that have already been written are going into production overseas though where there’s a far less likely chance they’ll be picketed. There have been several workarounds already 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#1230Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/7/23 at 3:07am

Another vote for Matt Doyle as Anthony.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1231Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/7/23 at 8:41am

Would also love to see Matt Doyle replace as Anthony. He was wonderful in the pie shop, but I wonder if at even 36 he might read a little too old against Maria Bilbao, who’s around 25-26.

But he’s also not leaving Little Shop until July 16th. So there’s that.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#1232Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/7/23 at 12:41pm

I would actually love to see Aaron Tveit although the role is probably too small for him.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1233Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/7/23 at 1:31pm

They are clearly going to continue casting Anthony under 30. I’ve always found older Anthonys to be pretty ridiculous. 

MTI lists the character’s age as 20-30. 

Updated On: 6/7/23 at 01:31 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1234Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/7/23 at 1:36pm

ljay889 said: "They are clearly going to continue casting Anthony under 30. I’ve always found older Anthonys to be pretty ridiculous.

MTI lists the character’s age as 20-30.
"

Agree. I think we’re more likely to see Nathan Salstone or Felix Torrez-Ponce promoted from ensemble to principal than anyone cast externally. But I could be wrong.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#1235Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/7/23 at 1:54pm

Tony award winners Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway Aaron and Matt won't be replacing Jordan in this, the role is far too young for both of them. 

jimmycurry01
#1236Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/8/23 at 7:15pm

The show has been stopped. We didn't even make it through the prologue. The cast was cleared, house lights are up. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1237Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/8/23 at 9:07pm

They don’t need a name to replace Fisher, so why would they bother with the expense? Hopefully they can just cast someone who has the power to deliver Johanna in the thrilling manner it deserves. 

The show is selling out with Groban, Ashford and Gaten. They don’t need the expense of another high profile performer. Even a little known Tony winner like Doyle would cost a lot of money. 

As for what make Ruthie Ann Miles performance so stellar for me was her physicality. She broke my heart. I have no insight into her choices, but she reminded me of a wounded pigeon with fleas and her costume/shawl seemed to mimic the colors and feathers of a pigeon. 

Many people refer to pigeons as “rats with wings” and the birds are often seen as beggars and poor creatures. Ruthie has this “waddle walk” as the beggar woman that shattered me. Like a pigeon. If you’ve ever seen a pigeon with fleas they jerk as Ruthie did. She was invisible to the townspeople unless they were accosting her. Most of us know who she is from the beginning of the show so knowing that trauma informs the heartbreak I felt for her. She humanizes the “crazy people” we see on the street and ignore everyday. Each one of them has a story. Each one of them was perfect at birth but something happened. 

I thought Ruthie was tremendous and I was so happy I got to see her. I hope she wins a second Tony. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

bear88
#1238Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/8/23 at 10:40pm

jimmycurry01 said: "The show has been stopped. We didn't even make it through the prologue. The cast was cleared, house lights are up."

What ended up happening?

PabloJuan
#1239Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/8/23 at 11:13pm

There was a mechanical failure with the set. They fixed it and restarted the show. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1240Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/9/23 at 3:46pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Fisher will play his final performance as Anthony on June 18:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtJ_tmYgsyU/?igshid=ZWQyN2ExYTkwZQ==
"

No loss to the production. We thought he was terrible as Anthony!  Could not sing it or act it. Give the role to Nathan Salstone!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

poto19882023 Profile Photo
poto19882023
#1241Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/10/23 at 10:44am

With the Tonys tomorrow and Groban assumedly performing for them, is there any chance Nicholas Christopher would possibly be on for Sweeney for tomorrow's performance? 

To clarify, I've seen Groban twice and really enjoyed him so this is not 'anti-Groban' sentiment, I've just heard absolute raves about Nicholas Christopher's Sweeney and would very much like to see him in the role and am too impatient to wait for the September dates haha.

If you all think there's a good chance I'll definitely get to the box office for the SRO line, they've been pretty liberal selling SRO as soon as the box office opens so chances should be good for that. Thanks!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1242Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/10/23 at 10:50am

Answered you on reddit 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

poto19882023
#1243Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/10/23 at 10:53am

dramamama611 said: "Answered you on reddit"

Many thanks! :)

yyys
#1244Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/10/23 at 11:33am

Probably highly unlikely....but easier to get tix after they announce he won't go on (appears to be almost sold out now for tomorrow's performance.

Updated On: 6/10/23 at 11:33 AM

DrewJoseph
#1245Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/10/23 at 12:15pm

Does anyone know if they’re selling a souvenir brochure?

poto19882023
#1246Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 12:06am

So…Jordan Fisher’s final performance is in 4 days and we are still lacking any announcement about his replacement.

Anyone heard anything about whom is taking over?

I wonder if there’s a chance that one of the understudies will be bumped up for a temporary fill-in while they secure an official full-time replacement, it seems like usually productions would have announced the replacement by now if they had someone ready to go. Maybe someone is available a little later down the line so they’ll announce an understudy filling in for the period until whomever the next Anthony is will be ready to begin.

Speaking of, does anybody have any idea or insight into why Stephen Tewksbury exited so quickly? According to Playbill he left at the beginning of May. I was intrigued by the idea of seeing him play Turpin and would have hoped to have caught him in the role. Was sad to see he had already departed by the time I got to finally see the show. 

EDIT: As will become clear by the posts below this one, my original post included an incredibly ignorant conclusion I came to about the nature of Jordan Fisher’s departure based off of some internet comments I’d read. I don’t follow Jordan on any social media so didn’t know he had always only had a 4 month contract and embarrassingly spoke as if what I said was some obvious fact, which I’ve been corrected on. It was a mistake and I apologize. 

Updated On: 6/14/23 at 12:06 AM

Peppa222
#1247Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 12:18am

To be fair, Jordan stated in his Instagram post about leaving the show that his exit date has been planned since the very beginning. I imagine there would be a lot more gossip and hubub from other sources if that weren't the case. 

KODALY
#1248Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 1:05am

No need for a rumor. 

Per the June 1 entry on Mr. Tewksbury's Facebook page:

"Just wanted to share that I will be out of Sweeney Todd until sometime this summer. I have been dealing with osteoarthritis in my right knee and will be getting gel injections in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, I will not be performing on the Tony’s, however I will be cheering very loudly for my amazing cast mates, crew, orchestra, management, producers and pulling for Anneleigh Ashford, Ruthie Ann Miles, Josh Groban, Steven Hoggett, Mimi Lien, Natasha Katz, and Nevin Steinberg. Looking forward to getting back to Fleet Street soon!"

poto19882023
#1249Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 1:28am

KODALY said: "No need for a rumor.

Per the June 1 entry on Mr. Tewksbury's Facebook page:

"Just wanted to share that I will be out of Sweeney Todd until sometime this summer. I have been dealing with osteoarthritis in my right knee and will be getting gel injections in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, I will not be performing on the Tony’s, however I will be cheering very loudly for my amazing cast mates, crew, orchestra, management, producers and pulling for Anneleigh Ashford, Ruthie Ann Miles, Josh Groban, Steven Hoggett, Mimi Lien, Natasha Katz, and Nevin Steinberg. Looking forward to getting back to Fleet Street soon!"
"

Oh wow! I don’t follow his Facebook so I didn’t see this, thank you so much for forwarding to me. Hoping he is well enough to return soon!

Videos