pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 51

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

poto19882023 Profile Photo
poto19882023
#1250Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 1:34am

Sutton Ross said: "Since this is obviously an abrupt and seemingly originally unplanned exit

Yeah, none of that is true, he never stays more than 4 months and anyone would know that had they done 2 minutes of research. This was always the plan, this was his contract, and he is now moving on to other things. Don't comment about things you know zero about. Yikes.

"

My apologies — I had been influenced by some comments I’d read in other areas that had led me to think this. However I’m embarrassed I said “obviously”, no clue what led me to speak with so much authority and that was a major misstep on my end.

I don’t know much about Jordan Fisher at all, this show is my first exposure to him really. It’s only recently I learned about his experience in prior shows. As I don’t follow his social media I didn’t see the post about this always having been the plan.

Anyway. I apologize again for foolishly jumping to a conclusion after what I had read, and again for speaking as if something was fact when I had no reason to suggest that. I need to read these things more carefully before I post them.

Updated On: 6/14/23 at 01:34 AM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1251Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 12:04pm

Daniel J. Yearwood is the next Anthony. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#1252Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 12:09pm

poto19882023 said: "Sutton Ross said: "Since this is obviously an abrupt and seemingly originally unplanned exit

Yeah, none of that is true, he never stays more than 4 months and anyone would know that had they done 2 minutes of research. This was always the plan, this was his contract, and he is now moving on to other things. Don't comment about things you know zero about. Yikes.

"

My apologies — I had been influenced by some comments I’d read in other areas that had led me to think this. However I’m embarrassed I said “obviously”, no clue what led me to speak with so much authority and that was a major misstep on my end.

I don’t know much about Jordan Fisher at all, this show is my first exposure to him really. It’s only recently I learned about his experience in prior shows. As I don’t follow his social media I didn’t see the post about this always having been the plan.

Anyway. I apologize again for foolishly jumping to a conclusion after what I had read, and again for speaking as if something was fact when I had no reason to suggest that. I need to read these things more carefully before I post them.
"

This is definitely incredibly sincere. Don't worry! Many have said worse and felt 0 remorse on this board. If it helps, I've worked with Stephen before and he would 100% giggle at people gossiping about him on the message boards!!

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1253Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 12:19pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Daniel J. Yearwood is the next Anthony."

Good for him! I suppose it is easier (and cheaper) to hire a new principal actor who doesn’t have to learn any understudy tracks, than promote an ensemble member who understudies multiple principal roles and have to hire a new ensemble member to learn all of that.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#1254Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 12:56pm

Is Ruthie Ann out all week, or only matinees? I saw her last Wednesday afternoon, to my surprise, having presumed she was in rehearsal.  I've now assume a full leave of absence, from today on, until Piazza is over.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

LarryD2
#1255Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/14/23 at 1:21pm

Ruthie Ann is out all of this week and next. Jeanna and Mia are sharing the role, with Jeanna doing the majority of performances.

Updated On: 6/14/23 at 01:21 PM

DrewJoseph
#1256Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/20/23 at 11:42pm

Anyone know of any more absences this week? I am seeing the show this thursday. Booked tickets the minute they went on sale and now i’m already sure to miss out on Ruthie and Jordan.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#1257Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/21/23 at 12:30am

DrewJoseph said: "Anyone know of any more absences this week? I am seeing the show this thursday. Booked tickets the minute they went on sale and now i’m already sure to miss out on Ruthie and Jordan."

You'll be fine.  Jeanna is great as the Beggar Woman, and you won't miss Jordan.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1258Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/24/23 at 11:15pm

Per multiple company members, Alex Lacamoire conducted his final show with Sweeney Todd last night. 

Fred Lassen will conduct most performances in the month of July.

Oh look, a bibu!

MemorableUserName
#1259Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/24/23 at 11:32pm

He made what was pretty clearly a goodbye post on Instagram a few hours ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct5AK5dvru9/

pablitonizer
#1260Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/26/23 at 9:38am

I was finally able to catch this on Friday since I don't live in NYC. Overall, it's an okay musical, Josh is definitely the highlight in the play, and Annaleigh is wickedly delicious. Those two make the entire musical come alive, while the rest is pretty forgettable imo. Great voices for sure, but nothing that makes me want to go back, except for Groban. As a final comment, Gaten Matarazzo was pretty much the worst of them all. I could hear people laughing at Gaten's performance  in the part where he's singing with Mrs Lovett on the couch. I don't think it was meant to be hilarious but I guess people found it pretty difficult to take him seriously. 

Jus one quick comment I'd like to point out. I went with friends that are not americans, and they speak English as their second language. They told me they could barely understand Annaleigh's lines throughout the entire musical so that kept me thinking if anyone else complained about it. I know perhaps the musical is meant to be for English native speakers, but NYC is full of foreign tourism. I wonder how those tourists feel about it when seeing Sweeney Todd

Updated On: 6/26/23 at 09:38 AM

JasonC3
#1261Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/26/23 at 9:41pm

It is a major spoiler, but if you want to see how Groban looks making his entrance from backstage, a Talking Broadway poster shared this link from when one of the cast took over the show's Instagram.  Go to about 1:50 in the linked video:

https://streamable.com/og3q1c

And another poster shared a link to the show's Tweet with the behind the scenes look at the same moment from the Tony Awards performance.

https://twitter.com/SweeneyToddBway/status/1672711193822220290?t=k87gRHTbOqBNv4hwExBwSg&s=01

Updated On: 6/26/23 at 09:41 PM

kingfan011
#1262Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/27/23 at 4:08pm

So interesting at these different reaction to Gaten

hearthemsing22
#1263Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 6/27/23 at 4:16pm

JasonC3 said: "It is a major spoiler, but if you want to see how Groban looks making his entrance from backstage, a Talking Broadway poster shared this link from when one of the cast took over the show's Instagram. Go to about 1:50 in the linked video:

https://streamable.com/og3q1c

And another poster shared a link to the show's Tweet with the behind the scenes look at the same moment from the Tony Awards performance.

https://twitter.com/SweeneyToddBway/status/1672711193822220290?t=k87gRHTbOqBNv4hwExBwSg&s=01
"

This is sooooo cool!!! Thank you!!! 

Ball of Buttah
#1264Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 7/26/23 at 11:58pm

Got to catch this amazing show tonight with a friend, who thought it was excellent, too. I think the highlights for me were Annaleigh, Ruthie Ann, Rapson, Josh, and Gaten; in that order. The actress who played Joanna was meh, but Daniel as Anthony was a surprise delight. The production was great overall, even the ensemble dancing. It was weird watching it at the Tony's w/o much context, but in the whole show it made more sense and flowed nicely from beginning to end. 

Very happy to catch this revival. Only nitpick about Josh is that he really isn't scary at all and, sometimes, came off a little whiny. But a great singing voice and he had Annaleigh and Rapson to balance his performance. I'm amazed by Ruthie Ann's voice and thought she played the perfect feature role (although I haven't seen Kimberly Akimbo).

Updated On: 7/27/23 at 11:58 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1265Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 7/29/23 at 3:04pm

Seeing this one tonight, I’m so excited!

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1266Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 7/29/23 at 11:57pm

Full cast was in tonight, and Fred Lassen conducted. 

God, that’s INCREDIBLE!!! Attend the tale, folks. This is one of the best revivals I have EVER seen, hands down. 

Groban, Ashford, the entire supporting cast, this ORCHESTRA.

Daniel Yearwood is a potent Anthony, Ruthie is just beyond belief, and this is the most I have ever loved John Rapson in a show. 

Thank you, Steve.

Stage door took a LONG time tonight. Annaleigh, Ruthie, Jamie Jackson, and Daniel Torres all signed. 

Run to the Lunt!!!!!

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/30/23 at 11:57 PM

Jacobonce
#1267Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/1/23 at 2:37pm

I'll be in NYC for the week of Nov 14, and it shows the Groban is out that week.  Do you think there will be discounts available?  I couldn't care less about Groban, I just want to see Ashford and the show.  Thanks!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1268Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/1/23 at 3:57pm

Jacobonce said: "I'll be in NYC for the week of Nov 14, and it shows the Groban is out that week. Do you think there will be discounts available? I couldn't care less about Groban, I just want to see Ashford and the show. Thanks!"

I doubt there will be a discount code, but if you can hold off buying until you're actually in town, you should get a better deal than if you buy in advance, either at TKTS or by Ticketmaster lowering prices. Groban is off September 13-17, as well, so you should get a good idea from how that week goes.

Updated On: 8/1/23 at 03:57 PM

idioteque...
#1269Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/3/23 at 11:29pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Jacobonce said: "I'll be in NYC for the week of Nov 14, and it shows the Groban is out that week. Do you think there will be discounts available? I couldn't care less about Groban, I just want to see Ashford and the show. Thanks!"

I doubt there will be a discount code, but if you can hold off buying until you're actually in town, you should get a better deal than if you buy in advance, either at TKTS or by Ticketmaster lowering prices. Groban is off September 13-17, as well, so you should get a good idea from how that week goes.
"

Does Ticketmaster drop this on the day of? Tickets semeed normal today when I checked.

Also any possibility this will hit broadway week? Did Music Man get Broadway Week? Can’t remember.  

yyys
#1270Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/3/23 at 11:52pm

^^ There are deals only at the box office in addition to standing room. Just show up before it opens.

I bought 2 tix for $149 each, normally $249.00.  You won't see the prices go down on ticketmaster, it seems like they have their own inventory for day of sales.

idioteque...
#1271Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/4/23 at 3:12am

yyys said: "^^ There are deals only at the box office in addition to standing room. Just show up before it opens.

I bought 2 tix for $149 each, normally $249.00. You won't see the prices go down on ticketmaster, it seems like they have their own inventory for day of sales.
"

What were your seats if I may ask?

and when you say open you’re referring in the morning right? 

MezzA101
#1272Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/23 at 10:46am

The first three Sundays of January 2024 had for a time the interesting alignment of the closing performances of three Sondheim shows: "Here We Are," "Sweeney," and "Merrily." 

By that I mean judging by the last date for tickets on sale. That begs the question as to what is the plan for "Sweeney?" Extending with the current leads or replacements? I already have my tickets for 01/14 just in case.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1273Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/23 at 10:54am

Merrily has extended until March 24. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#1274Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/23 at 11:05am

ljay889 said: "Merrily has extended until March 24."

I think that's what Mezz meant by "for a time."

Videos