pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 55

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

jimmycurry01
#1350Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/29/23 at 8:05am

Smaxie said: ">Very interesting, as Sondheim insinuates that both the tooth-pulling sequence and The Judge's Johanna were cut during previews after he and Wheeler noticed a "sag" in the plot. He writes about this decision in Finishing the Hat and makes it sound as if the decision to cut both happened simultaneously. It seems odd to have made the cut after the show was frozen.<

Sondheim's memory does get unreliable in some spots. The Judge's "Johanna" was cut very early in previews, I think perhaps even after the first preview. In an evening of shocks, the Judge whipping himself to an orgasm was perhaps a step too far. However, the tooth-pulling scene remained in. If you search, there is a YouTube video of the original Broadway production. Victor Garber was the first of the principals to leave the cast and he was replaced by Cris Groenendaal. Groenendaal is in this video (either as understudy or permanent replacement, opposite understudy/eventual Johanna replacement Betsy Joslyn), and the tooth-pulling scene is in, so it had to have been filmed sometime after opening. There is also a full audio of opening night, and the tooth-pulling scene is in.
"

Last night I was watching the South Bank Show documentary on the making of the London production which opened within a year of the Broadway production; there was a argument between Hal Prince and John Aron in regards to cutting some of Pirelli's material. I wonder if the choice was made to make the cut during rehearsals for the London run.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#1351Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/29/23 at 9:31am

Yes, I just checked it out. Hal Prince says to Aron, "It's a big bore to me in America, and that's why I'm cutting it." 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1352Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/30/23 at 6:13pm

Notably, the show was up on TKTS earlier today for both performances (and Groban and Ashford are both on).

Ruthie Ann Miles is on vacation this week. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#1353Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/31/23 at 6:32pm

jimmycurry01 said: "Smaxie said: ">Very interesting, as Sondheim insinuates that both the tooth-pulling sequence and The Judge's Johanna were cut during previews after he and Wheeler noticed a "sag" in the plot. He writes about this decision in Finishing the Hat and makes it sound as if the decision to cut both happened simultaneously. It seems odd to have made the cut after the show was frozen.<

Sondheim's memory does get unreliable in some spots. The Judge's "Johanna" was cut very early in previews, I think perhaps even after the first preview. In an evening of shocks, the Judge whipping himself to an orgasm was perhaps a step too far. However, the tooth-pulling scene remained in. If you search, there is a YouTube video of the original Broadway production. Victor Garber was the first of the principals to leave the cast and he was replaced by Cris Groenendaal. Groenendaal is in this video (either as understudy or permanent replacement, opposite understudy/eventual Johanna replacement Betsy Joslyn), and the tooth-pulling scene is in, so it had to have been filmed sometime after opening. There is also a full audio of opening night, and the tooth-pulling scene is in.
"

Last night I was watching the South Bank Show documentary on the making of the London production which opened within a year of the Broadway production; there was a argument between Hal Prince and John Aron in regards to cutting some of Pirelli's material. I wonder if the choice was made to make the cut during rehearsals for the London run.

"

Yup! this is basically the case. Neither the original broadway or London productions included the full version of "the Contest" but they were different cuts. The Broadway version cut both of Pirelli's opening verses ("Now signorini, Signore" etc), but retained both of the Shaving and Tooth pulling sequences. ("to shave-a the face...etc"Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway. The British production cut the song down further, removing the whole Tooth-pulling sequence, but restoring the introductory verse to the Shaving sequence, and that is basically how the song has remained since.

John Aron's intense argument over the cut is one of my favorite things to have ever been caught on camera, especially Hal's little shrug that boils down to "who does this guy think he is?"

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1354Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/1/23 at 4:07pm

My friend in the pit is under the impression that it's an open ended run.  Do you think they will replace Groban and Ashford?

yyys
#1355Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/1/23 at 7:22pm

Don't think so. When Groban leaves, it's closing time.

Broadway Flash said: "My friend in the pit is under the impression that it's an open ended run. Do you think they will replace Groban and Ashford?"

UrNotAMachine
#1356Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/1/23 at 8:42pm

Broadway Flash said: "My friend in the pit is under the impression that it's an open ended run. Do you think they will replace Groban and Ashford?"

Unless they can find a name big enough to replace Groban and boost ticket sales, the show is likely much too costly to run without a huge star attached. (otherwise, I would have loved to see someone like Josh Henry or Raul Esparza take on the role)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1357Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/2/23 at 2:51am

Could Mandy Patinkin perhaps try to replace Groban successfully this time? Paired with Bernadette, that'd be the dream!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Piparoo Profile Photo
Piparoo
#1358Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/2/23 at 7:04am

binau said: "Could Mandy Patinkin perhaps try to replace Groban successfully this time? Paired with Bernadette, that'd be the dream!"

Having seen this production and feeling mostly lukewarm about it, that casting would be something I’d be first in line to see. I don’t think it’s at all likely.

JasonC3
#1359Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/2/23 at 7:07am

binau said: "Could Mandy Patinkin perhaps try to replace Groban successfully this time? Paired with Bernadette, that'd be the dream!"

I admire your devotion, but this casting only would occur at this point in a drug-induced fever dream.

JSquared2
#1360Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/2/23 at 11:58am

Sure -- if they can use the BTTF DeLorean time machine and go back to 1983??

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#1361Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/2/23 at 3:26pm

jimmycurry01 said: "Smaxie said: ">Very interesting, as Sondheim insinuates that both the tooth-pulling sequence and The Judge's Johanna were cut during previews after he and Wheeler noticed a "sag" in the plot. He writes about this decision in Finishing the Hat and makes it sound as if the decision to cut both happened simultaneously. It seems odd to have made the cut after the show was frozen.<

"

"

One of the many things I hated about the original production.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#1362Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/3/23 at 4:32pm

Anyone have luck with the newly established rush?

context: someone on Twitter a while back pointed out the Sweeney website says the box office offers rush. When they went, the box office attendant said they don’t do rush. Twitter account replied to the person and assured they do offer rush.

about 50 people in line today were told 5 minutes prior to BO open that there were no tickets today. Not saying anything one way or the other here, but why assure people you have rush tix available on a very sold out Production? Even if just to keep the profit looking pretty while the leads were out with covid?

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

JasonC3
#1363Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/4/23 at 8:41am

Someone on the UK board says Jake Gyllenhaal is being sought to take over for Josh for 5 months. Anyone else hear this rumor?

He impressed me a great deal in Sunday, but this is a different vocal challenge.  Thoughts?

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#1364Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/4/23 at 9:59am

JasonC3 said: "Someone on the UK board says Jake Gyllenhaal is being sought to take over for Josh for 5 months. Anyone else hear this rumor?

He impressed me a great deal in Sunday, but this is a different vocal challenge. Thoughts?
"

I was just thinking the other day that Gyllenhaal could be an interesting -- perhaps brilliant -- replacement for Groban. Vocally I don't know if he could handle the score, but he'd absolutely act the hell out of that role. Either way, I'd absolutely see it again if he were to come into the production. Especially if it means this glorious revival could keep going for just a little while longer.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1365Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/4/23 at 10:15am

I've seen this revival three times now - twice with Groban and Ashford and once with Nicholas Christopher and Jeanna De Waal. I have no need or desire to see it again unless an exciting replacement cast comes in. Gyllenhaal would have me back in a heartbeat.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#1366Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/4/23 at 10:16am

thou he may surprise me (just as Groban did....) with his take on Sweeney, i'd much rather see Gyllenhaal make a return with Sunday for a  limited engagement.  That performance, as well as that production, completely deserves another life........

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 9/4/23 at 10:16 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1367Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/4/23 at 11:59am

I would be SHOCKED if Jake played Sweeney. Would he really want to be a replacement and follow one of the most vocally brilliant Sweeneys? At the final performance of "Sunday" Jake's voice sounded a little under the weather. How could he possibly handle Sweeney? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JasonC3
#1368Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/4/23 at 1:38pm

binau said: "At the final performance of "Sunday" Jake's voice sounded a little under the weather. How could he possibly handle Sweeney?"

I question whether his voice could handle Sweeney, but his voice being "a little under the weather" at one performance, albeit it at the end of a run, doesn't seem like proof of much.

J-Wo
#1369Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/8/23 at 5:26pm

Anybody have luck getting same day Saturday tix at the box office lately? I’m hoping being there by 9 is good enough. 

J-Wo
#1370Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/9/23 at 12:25pm

Only got in line 15 min b4 box office opened today and it was a good 40 ppl deep. 1st person lined up at 5am and 2nd person at 7am. Line moved fast at 10am, but by the time it was my turn they had just sold out of evening rush but hard plenty for matinee. Snagged 2 tix in Mezz row E for $49 ea!

berniesb!tch
#1371Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/10/23 at 7:50pm

Saw the show today and was really disapointed. I hated the choreography. Josh was great vocally but as many have mentioned, even when he got to the most intense moments, just wan't menacing enough. I love Annaleigh Ashford, but she was doing way too much. She had a good Lovett in her but I think she was failed by the direction. Act 2 was much better for both of them I will say.

At first I thought Maria was a little too frenetic as Joanna but really came around to her by the end. Her voice is amazing. Ruthie, Gaten and the actors who played Pirelli and Antony were great too. 

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#1372Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/11/23 at 12:18am

I SA w the matinee today, very pleased to have the full regular company in. 

I agree that the second act is stronger than the first.

“Not While I’m Around” is by far the best scene in the production, and Gaten and Annaleigh are perfection here. Absolutely stunning. 

I sat in front of the sound board, and the sound quality is exceptional there imho. Can’t speak for other locations in the house.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1373Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/12/23 at 12:12pm

Is Josh out this week?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Scott Stephen
#1374Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 9/12/23 at 12:18pm

Yes, Nicholas Christopher will perform all shows except for 9/13 evening and 9/16 matinee! If you don't mind seeing the show without Josh, they're offering 2 for 1 tickets for Broadway week on top of the new rush discount!

Videos