THE MUSIC MAN Reviews

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#125THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/12/22 at 6:45pm

I can totally see the truth in that review saying that Hugh and Sutton have no chemistry. I’m big fans of both and I’ve never found either to be overtly sensual or able to play that. They seem to have brother/sister chemistry to me even in promotional interviews. Impeccable talents but no spark. 

While Hugh is sexy I always get an asexual vibe from him. Even as Liza in Younger, Sutton played the humor when trying to be more sexually assertive. 

I can see that their attraction in this show feels inert. Makes sense.

As for the person saying that Tony winners (even unknown ones) don’t cost more. They do. Significantly if they have good management. Even a Tony nominee can barter a better salary. This casts supporting players ain’t cheap. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#126THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/12/22 at 7:23pm

bk said: "You have no idea who Robert Preston is. I just sit and scratch my head."

Preston has been dead for almost 35 years and his last performance in TMM dates back well over 60 years. No one under 70 cognitively saw him perform this role. The theatre is not the movies (and the movie of this is not theatre). Theatre is ephemeral, which is its beauty. People who want to sit home and wax nostalgic about dead actors can watch movies. Younger audiences (and I mean middle age and younger, not the kids) don't have a reason to know who Preston is. A stage actor who expects to be remembered after their time, beyond a little clique of theatre nerds, has misplaced expectations, and most of them know it. Theatre actors do not act for posterity, they act for the audience breathing the same air as them.   

willep
#127THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/12/22 at 7:25pm

I can maybe see people not thinking they don’t have chemistry, that being said, I was almost uncomfortable during their kiss in Act two. Especially with the winking and breaking character, to then go into what felt like a full on make out, was…a bit weird to me.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#128THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/12/22 at 7:39pm

Preston is in a category not unlike Zero in Fiddler, or Harrison/Andrews in MFL, or Mary Martin in South Pacific, or Ethel Merman in AGYG. Yes, their DNA is all over the role because it was shaped around them. But it has been revived so many times and it gets performed almost every night of the year in an amateur or pro theatre that it becomes something much larger than what the originator did. And that's the beauty of theatre.

Nathan Lane told a story about some argument with a fan who didn't feel that he was close enough to Sam Levene in Guys & Dolls, and his response was basically "but Sam Levene is dead! You will never get him back again, every revival brings a different take, and sometimes performances evolve in our memories to be different (not necessarily better or worse) than what they actually were."

It is interesting that this convo is happening in the same season as FUNNY GIRL, which I would argue IS still very tied to its originator 55 years later. And the producers were smart to cast someone who isn't going to try to do a Streisand impression and doesn't look like her.

Updated On: 2/12/22 at 07:39 PM

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#129THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/12/22 at 9:10pm

I think most people don't know is when The Music Man opened on Broadway, Robert Preston was only known for playing the heavy, the villain ... and in Westerns. They expected him to be bad. His being charming and spellbounding came as quite the shock. His character came as quite the shock. Everyone has seen Hugh Jackman playing the musical charmer. It doesn't go against type.

Which is why the joke of Mark Rylance doing the role sounds perfect to me.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#130THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/12/22 at 9:24pm

George in DC for the win.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Tkristop
#131THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/12/22 at 11:34pm

Saw this tonight and like another poster couldn’t stop smiling. It’s fun, funny, and the talent is ginormous. The dancing may be better than the singing overall, but both are very very good. Sutton as the librarian was not miscast!! Her performance was a standout for me. I was fortunate to not pay as much as many since I bought tickets in 2020, but I would pay to see it again for sure!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#132THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 11:17am

Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know if a digital download exists for the 2000 revival cast album? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#133THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 11:31am

Call_me_jorge said: "Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know if a digital download exists for the 2000 revival cast album?"

it's on spotify

Dolly80
#134THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 11:49am

I cannot see how this cost all those millions to mount. It certainly wasn’t spent on the scenery. 

Updated On: 2/13/22 at 11:49 AM

FranklinDickson2018
#135THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 11:50am

Dear HogansHero

I am a huge fan of your writing and avidly read all your postings.  I tend to agree with you more often than not.  But this time?  Not so much.  Preston was the winner of 2 Tony Awards (nominated for a third) and also nominated for an Academy Award.  His legacy should not just rest in the hands of a "little clique of theatre nerds."   I attended Broadwaycon a few years ago and during a program on the Golden Age of Broadway an audience member thanked the speakers for this programs --- saying that the "Broadway of today is built on the shoulders of the Broadway of earlier generations."

And it is.  If Preston hadn't made "The Music Man" the big hit it was on Broadway and in the movies --- would we even have this revival today? And for that alone we need to know who he was. 

For that he deserves to be known about, not forgotten, and certainly not celebrated just by this "little clique."

Yes theatre performances are given to those who are breathing the same air at the same time.  However, why do we seek out cast albums?  (eg where do you get the 2000 recording of TMM?) Vintage tv appearances that were preserved.   TV adaptions (eg Peter Pan, Wonderful Town, etc).  They provide an immediately accessible way to learn about earlier stars and earlier performers in the role.  The roles were often created for this individual performer.  Their singing style, their cadence in speaking.  To not know of their work, is to me, removing half the joy of watching performers today do these classic roles. 

If you do know Preston's work --- on film and on record --- you can say "Oh I like how Jackman was different" or Jackman is "doing an homage to Preston at this moment."  Or even:  "I like how Preston did this better on the recording." 

Yes live theatre is of the moment -- and maybe the classic actors didn't expect to leave a legacy beyond their time in a certain role.  But they also had enough chances to leave a memento of their work and to go to "The Music Man" not knowing about Preston, Cook, (or Shirley Jones in the film) is to me depriving oneself of the full experience.

Preston was one of the best and I hope that folks who don't  yet know about him --- might just learn about his life and career. 

HogansHero said: "bk said: "You have no idea who Robert Preston is. I just sit and scratch my head."

Preston has been dead for almost 35 years and his last performance in TMM dates back well over 60 years. No one under 70 cognitively saw him perform this role. The theatre is not the movies (and the movie of this is not theatre). Theatre is ephemeral, which is its beauty. People who want to sit home and wax nostalgic about dead actors can watch movies. Younger audiences (and I mean middle age and younger, not the kids) don't have a reason to know who Preston is. A stage actor who expects to be remembered after their time, beyond a little clique of theatre nerds, has misplaced expectations, and most of them know it. Theatre actors do not act for posterity, they act for the audience breathing the same air as them.
"

willep
#136THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 12:13pm

HogansHero said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know if a digital download exists for the 2000 revival cast album?"

it's on spotify
"

I haven’t been able to find it on there, so if it is could you share the link? I was wanting to revisit it the other day as well.

willep
#137THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 12:15pm

George in DC said: "I think most people don't know is when The Music Man opened on Broadway, Robert Preston was only known for playing the heavy, the villain ... and in Westerns. They expected him to be bad. His being charming and spellbounding came as quite the shock. His character came as quite the shock. Everyone has seen Hugh Jackman playing the musical charmer. It doesn't go against type.

Which is why the joke of Mark Rylance doing the role sounds perfect to me.
"

I love that my joke casting that I thought only I would be interested in has actually gotten so much support haha

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#138THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 12:59pm

HogansHero said: "bk said: "You have no idea who Robert Preston is. I just sit and scratch my head."

"

I mean plenty of people under 70 have seen Preston’s performance on account of him starring in a faithful film adaptation. And while not the most famous man, Preston still had other projects of note outside of the theatre, even getting an Oscar nomination.

leefowler
#139THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 1:07pm

Robert Preston starring in The Music Man film is not some obscure property. It was a hugely successful movie in which Preston recreated his stage performance, and has been shown frequently on television.

By the way, I'm old enough to remember seeing it on a little black and white television in my bedroom as a kid, and you only saw the middle two members of the Buffalo Bills. Since the movie was filmed in wide screen, you never saw all of the quartet at the same time.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#140THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 4:25pm

willep said: "HogansHero said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know if a digital download exists for the 2000 revival cast album?"

it's on spotify
"

I haven’t been able to find it on there, so if it is could you share the link? I was wanting to revisit it the other day as well.
"

Try this:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4hPnKhRIA8Fiiu4vMOKTrh

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#141THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 4:39pm

HogansHero said: "willep said: "HogansHero said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know if a digital download exists for the 2000 revival cast album?"

it's on spotify
"

"

Try this:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4hPnKhRIA8Fiiu4vMOKTrh
"

It seems to exist on Spotify, but it’s unplayable. At least I can’t seem to play on my end.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#142THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 5:01pm

Oh dear. It seems like someone has enjoined that version. (Aborning conspiracy theory: the producers of the current version.) Sorry about that. You might try contacting Spotify support. 

Loopin’theloop
#143THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 5:09pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "Dear HogansHero

I am a huge fan of your writing and avidly read all your postings. I tend to agree with you more often than not. But this time? Not so much. Preston was the winner of 2 Tony Awards (nominated for a third) and also nominated for an Academy Award. His legacy should not just rest in the hands of a "little clique of theatre nerds." I attended Broadwaycon a few years ago and during a program on the Golden Age of Broadway an audience member thanked the speakers for this programs --- saying that the "Broadway of today is built on the shoulders of the Broadway of earlier generations."

And it is. If Preston hadn't made "The Music Man" the big hit it was on Broadway and in the movies --- would we even have this revival today? And for that alone we need to know who he was.

For that he deserves to be known about, not forgotten, and certainly not celebrated just by this "little clique."

Yes theatre performances are given to those who are breathing the same air at the same time. However, why do we seek out cast albums? (eg where do you get the 2000 recording of TMM?) Vintage tv appearances that were preserved. TV adaptions (eg Peter Pan, Wonderful Town, etc). They provide an immediately accessible way to learn about earlier stars and earlier performers in the role. The roles were often created for this individual performer. Their singing style, their cadence in speaking. To not know of their work, is to me, removing half the joy of watching performers today do these classic roles.

If you do know Preston's work --- on film and on record --- you can say "Oh I like how Jackman was different" or Jackman is "doing an homage to Preston at this moment." Or even: "I like how Preston did this better on the recording."

Yes live theatre is of the moment -- and maybe the classic actors didn't expect to leave a legacy beyond their time in a certain role. But they also had enough chances to leave a memento of their work and to go to "The Music Man" not knowing about Preston, Cook, (or Shirley Jones in the film) is to me depriving oneself of the full experience.

Preston was one of the best and I hope that folks who don't yet know about him --- might just learn about his life and career.

"

"

Hogan isn’t saying that’s the way things should be, in their view but that it’s the way they are. Preston is not known by the masses and is remembered best by a small clique of theatre fans. And most theatre stars are indeed very aware that the genre they love and work in, is about the live shared experience and their legacy will generally be short. 

Your argument is with reality, not the poster who put it in writing 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#144THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 5:13pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "And for that alone we need to know who he was."

I understand your reaction and that of others who posted after you. I also understand the sentiment that "he deserves to be known about, not forgotten, and certainly not celebrated just by this "little clique."

But the truth is, he is not well known in 2022, and the "we" you are adopting is in fact a pretty limited group of people, and that's even true after broadening it to include those who seek out the film or the cast recording. You might wish it to be otherwise but it simply isn't and (to get back to my original reaction) it is certainly not a reason to scratch one's head in some denigrating way.

bk
#145THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 6:58pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "Dear HogansHero

I am a huge fan of your writing and avidly read all your postings. I tend to agree with you more often than not. But this time? Not so much. Preston was the winner of 2 Tony Awards (nominated for a third) and also nominated for an Academy Award. His legacy should not just rest in the hands of a "little clique of theatre nerds." I attended Broadwaycon a few years ago and during a program on the Golden Age of Broadway an audience member thanked the speakers for this programs --- saying that the "Broadway of today is built on the shoulders of the Broadway of earlier generations."

And it is. If Preston hadn't made "The Music Man" the big hit it was on Broadway and in the movies --- would we even have this revival today? And for that alone we need to know who he was.

Yes theatre performances are given to those who are breathing the same air at the same time. However, why do we seek out cast albums? (eg where do you get the 2000 recording of TMM?) Vintage tv appearances that were preserved. TV adaptions (eg Peter Pan, Wonderful Town, etc). They provide an immediately accessible way to learn about earlier stars and earlier performers in the role. The roles were often created for this individual performer. Their singing style, their cadence in speaking. To not know of their work, is to me, removing half the joy of watching performers today do these classic roles.

If you do know Preston's work --- on film and on record --- you can say "Oh I like how Jackman was different" or Jackman is "doing an homage to Preston at this moment." Or even: "I like how Preston did this better on the recording."

Yes live theatre is of the moment -- and maybe the classic actors didn't expect to leave a legacy beyond their time in a certain role. But they also had enough chances to leave a memento of their work and to go to "The Music Man" not knowing about Preston, Cook, (or Shirley Jones in the film) is to me depriving oneself of the full experience.

Preston was one of the best and I hope that folks who don't yet know about him --- might just learn about his life and career.

"

"

Ah, my dear friend Hogan can't help himself. I blocked him but I think he's figured out that if someone quotes him I'll see it. I scratch my head at that, too, but then again, he's been doing it for years.  History is important. Knowledge is important. Being tunnel-visioned to only YOUR generation is certainly a today thing, but I find it off-putting, sorry. Mr. Preston was a major star because of The Music Man. He repeated his role in the film. He had a hugely successful film career after that, but also appeared several times on B'way after that, including the much-loved flop, Mack and Mabel. I guess it's okay for no one to know who Carol Channing is or Ethel Merman or Judy Garland or any of our past stars. This is classic Hogan all the way and, as always, it's a bore. Glad he'll be able to see this and equally glad I won't see whatever his typical response is, unless someone quotes it, which I hope they won't.

Updated On: 2/13/22 at 06:58 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#146THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 7:05pm

Still no cast album announcement?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#147THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 8:28pm

bk said: "Ah, my dear friend Hogan can't help himself. I blocked him but I think he's figured out that if someone quotes him I'll see it. I scratch my head at that, too, but then again, he's been doing it for years. History is important. Knowledge is important. Being tunnel-visioned to only YOUR generation is certainly a today thing, but I find it off-putting, sorry. Mr. Preston was a major star because of The Music Man. He repeated his role in the film. He had a hugely successful film career after that, but also appeared several times on B'way after that, including the much-loved flop, Mack and Mabel. I guess it's okay for no one to know who Carol Channing is or Ethel Merman or Judy Garland or any of our past stars. This is classic Hogan all the way and, as always, it's a bore. Glad he'll be able to see this and equally glad I won't see whatever his typical response is, unless someone quotes it, which I hope they won't."

I hate to break the news to you but I do not pay attention to the anonymous names on this board. I pay attention to ideas (good ones and bad ones) and comment on them accordingly. Does it sometimes seem like I am picking on a particular poster? If so, it is because I don't like their ideas (or, worse yet,  they have mis-stated facts). Now to the substance: as Loopin’theloop eloquently posted just a bit above you, no matter what you may wish, unless they are nerds of a particular history, later generations (and we are approaching the third subsequent one) don't pay much attention to prior generations. Yes there are exceptions for the pinnacle of the written word, and nowadays the recorded image, but not for performances that one can never even see. (And no, the film is not the play.) You mention tunnel vision. How many actors who died a century or more ago can you name much less tell me much about? I'm not talking about Bernhardt or Dusa. I mean the Robert Prestons of the 19th Century. I doubt it but maybe you get the point. And if I get your point (and I think I do), you seem to resent the progress of the generations since yours, and that's what this is about. I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but please keep the focus on ideas and not some anonymous internet persona. 

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#148THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 11:05pm

UrNotAMachine said: "I gave Jesse Green a lot of flack for his review of Company, and I still think in that instance he failed to adequately justify his opinions (Vulture's mixed review of the production was a much more substantial and interesting critique of the piece-- even if I still don't agree with many of its points). But it's hard to fault Green on this one as it's pretty close to the general consensus I've sen.

That being said, I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that The Music Man should have been an easy slam dunk. Despite its beloved status, it's a bit of an odd show to get right.Also, I do think there's some truth to Green's claim that sanding down all of the edges (presumably an overcorrection after the whole Rudin fiasco) subdued some of its charms.
"

I agree. The show is not a My Fair Lady or West Side Story. It's a 65 year old show with a story that doesn't have a lot of resonance, it's mostly just entertainment. Which is not a bad thing but it doesn't necessarily hit the bullseye every time.

Bigserver1
#149THE MUSIC MAN Reviews
Posted: 2/13/22 at 11:38pm

Saw this Saturday night. It was a good time overall, but there are a lot of misses spread throughout. The singing overall IMO is pretty weak. Sutton Foster carries the show, but her “‘til there was you” wasn’t was satisfying as one would hope. Hugh Jackman’s reprise of til there was you was a train wreck. I’ve never loved his singing, and this show was more evidence for me. 

He’s charming, and they’ve got a nice chemistry. There’s certainly a lot to like, but like many have said, at these prices and with this source material, cast, and budget, you expect more. We saw four shows this weekend and I’d put music man 4th out of 4. Not what I was expecting from the most expensive of all the performances. That said, I’d happily see it again. Not a bad time by any means, just a bit of a letdown. 

Videos