pixeltracker

PARADE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 6

PARADE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#125PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 6:59pm

Honestly wouldn’t mind either way if they record or not. The OBC is still definitive in spite of the changes. Justice for Big News!

Jarethan
#126PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 7:29pm

This may be due to overall cite slowness mentioned in other posts, but this was only the third time ever that I have had to wait to purchase my tickets.  When I first got on, it said there was a 20-minute wait due to high demand.  The estimate was on the nose...20 minutes.  I also bought tickets for Summer 1986 (most of the orchestra seems to be premium priced) and Bad Cinderella, and I had fine response time with both was fine.  Which makes me wonder whether there is a lot more interest in seeing this show / Ben Platt than I would have expected??

Just with the line-up of revivals, the Tony's are going to be very competitive this season.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#127PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 7:50pm

Another thing I hope to see with this revival is a new vocal arrangement book with a solo version of It Don't Make Sense. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#128PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 7:59pm

I'm surprised that so many of you are anxious to purchase full price tickets on the 1st day.
I thought most of you buy rush or discounted tickets.
Anyway, waiting for the discounted mailer that will arrive next month.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#129PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 8:06pm

https://broadwaymusicalhome.com/shows/parade.htm

https://deadline.com/2023/01/parade-musical-broadway-ben-platt-micaela-diamond-1235215824/
Here we go https://paradebroadway.com/

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/10/23 at 08:06 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#130PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 9:21pm

gypsy101 said: "if this is a success would it be Jason Robert Brown's first hit ever? i know he hasn't had much financial success with his shows but wasn't sure if he's technically had one that made money"

Yes it would be his first Broadway hit.

13 was extremely lucrative for him, between licensing (every middle school has done it multiple times), option payment for the film adaptation, and fees/royalties for the film. Similar situation with L5Y licensing + film, on a smaller scale.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#131PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 9:55pm

Jarethan said: "This may be due to overall cite slowness mentioned in other posts, but this was only the third time ever that I have had to wait to purchase my tickets. When I first got on, it said there was a 20-minute wait due to high demand. The estimate was on the nose...20 minutes. I also bought tickets for Summer 1986 (most of the orchestra seems to be premium priced) and Bad Cinderella, and I had fine response time with both was fine. Which makes me wonder whether there is a lot more interest in seeing this show / Ben Platt than I would have expected??

Just with the line-up of revivals, the Tony's are going to be very competitive this season.
"

Yup! My best guess will be that the revival nominees will be Woods, Camelot, Sweeney, and Parade! 

They will also most likely get Best Actor and Actress noms and potentially best Director and Supporting Actor as well! 

I wonder if the orchestrations for this count as new? I'm pretty sure JRB said that they have more instruments than they originally had. Not really so familiar on what counts as new orchestrations or if they fulfilled that. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#132PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 10:42pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Another thing I hope to see with this revival is a new vocal arrangement book with a solo version of It Don't Make Sense."

Another thing...lol dude since 8:38am this morn you've been nonstop.  just chill

Ravenclaw
#133PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 11:53pm

jkcohen626 said: "I wonder if the orchestrations for this count as new? I'm pretty sure JRB said that they have more instruments than they originally had. Not really so familiar on what counts as new orchestrations or if they fulfilled that."

I'm pretty sure that they just added more string players to the same parts, the orchestrations themselves didn't change. Except for the new numbers that weren't part of the original Broadway production (i.e. "The Glory," which was added for the Donmar production), but the full orchestration for these numbers was done for the 2015 Lincoln Center concert. So I'm pretty sure the orchestrations won't be eligible.

On the other hand, though, does anyone remember when the Tonys accidentally nominated Santo Loquasto's costumes for the Ragtime revival before realizing he just recreated his work from the original production? The nomination was revoked when that was brought to their attention. So it's not like they're always highly aware of these details.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#134PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 12:34am

Robbie2 said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Another thing I hope to see with this revival is a new vocal arrangement book with a solo version of It Don't Make Sense."

Another thing...lol dude since 8:38am this morn you've been nonstop. just chill
"

Sorry. I’ve been cooped up in my apartment just waiting for the semester to begin which isn’t till next week. Just trying to find stuff to do to kill time. Besides, I like chit chatting on here and mingling with other theatre people. Today was probably the most active I’ve been on this message board! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BoringBoredBoard40
#135PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 1:13am

all the producers pushing the idea on social that the demand crashed telecharge is so disingenuous and laughable 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#136PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 2:53am

Does anyone think if we were going to get an Encores!-sized orchestra we would already know about it? Surely they’d want to boast proudly (see also, Sweeney Todd). And the show already feels like financially it’s an uphill battle so it’s a key area they could save money.  Unless they want to wait for more press or something in future. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#137PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 8:47am

binau said: "Does anyone think if we were going to get an Encores!-sized orchestra we would already know about it? Surely they’d want to boast proudly (see also, Sweeney Todd). And the show already feels like financially it’s an uphill battle so it’s a key area they could save money. Unless they want to wait for more press or something in future."

I think the only reason Sweeney’s orchestra size is getting mentioned in press releases is because this is the first Broadway revival since the original to incorporate the full orchestration. We’ve already seen this production of Parade and it’s orchestra size. It’s not part of the selling point. The selling point here is the pre-existing rave reviews, which all mention the orchestra.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#138PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 12:04pm

Is it coincidence or genius for the producers to put Parade on sale the same day as Broadway Week? Is is shrewd or genius for the producers to take the credit anyway?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#139PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 12:53pm

Stacie Bono recently has to drop out of the production of into the woods at the paramount in the Chicago area, I’m assuming its because she’s transferring to Broadway with this.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#140PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 1:05pm

everythingtaboo said: "Is it coincidence or genius for the producers to put Parade on sale the same day as Broadway Week? Is is shrewd or genius for the producers to take the credit anyway?"

I saw a tiktok calling it out at saying it was a smart business move and I have to agree. While social media seems to be head over heals for it, it clearly does not have the same demand outside of the theater community's demand that Into the Wood’s transfer did. Add to that the show is a much more difficult sell to audiences, and does not have a whose who of names to get people excited…it has Ben Platt whose a question mark in terms of sales outside of a select few. Remember he has been the butt of every nepo baby joke for the past 2 years since the first trailer for the Dear Evan Hansen movie came out and his solo tour flopped hard last year. Not only does this production’s success ride solely on Ben Platt’s shoulders, but his future career prospects are equally dependent on this production being a financial success. As such the production needs any and every bit of media it can get.

The fact that they made their transfer announcement on Morning Joe of all places shows producers know the production need as much media attention it can get in hopes of getting audiences interested enough to buy what many consider one of the toughest sells. In purposely putting tickets on sale the same time as Broadway week in hopes of crashing telecharge, it gave the show a an additional news cycle of positive free media attention. It also creates an artificial sense of scarcity among those who want to be tastemakers or just see the hottest ticket in town, thus psychologically tricking them into feeling lucky and willing to pay full price for tickets thinking that if they don’t buy them just this second they will be taken by someone else. This is likely even more pronounced in the general public’s minds after the Taylor Swift Era’s tour fiasco, especially those who aren’t avid theatergoers don’t know that its the unless you are purchasing tickets for a holiday week, nearly every show will have day of ticket availability with most even offering discount day of tickets. I am actually amazed we haven’t seen producers try something like this before. 

Updated On: 1/11/23 at 01:05 PM

wickedwitch2
#141PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 1:09pm

If anybody was actually worried that they wouldn't be able to get tickets because a musical about lynching would sell out a 6 month run in 1 day, there were still hundreds of seats left for all the dates I was looking at in May.

BETTY22
#142PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 2:40pm

It is go to be fascinating to see the size of Ben's fan base. He recently played MSG - I went. It wasn't sold out, but it wasn't empty either.

Wish him (and the show) the best of luck. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#143PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 2:58pm

BETTY22 said: "It is go to be fascinating to see the size of Ben's fan base. He recently played MSG - I went. It wasn't sold out, but it wasn't empty either.

Wish him (and the show) the best of luck.
"

They papered the hell out of his MSG show...they literally couldn't give tickets away....so I don't think that's the barometer you think it is. He likely could of easily sold out Radio City if he played there, but his last tour was a disaster in terms of ticket sales.

JasonC3
#144PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 4:11pm

"Not only does this production’s success ride solely on Ben Platt’s shoulders, but his future career prospects are equally dependent on this production being a financial success."

The second half of this may be a bit of an overstatement.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#145PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 5:15pm

There is a massive amount of ticket availability right now. Cute that some eager fans were like “it’s going to sell out all 6 months immediately!!!111”. Of course, when any show like this (prestigious unusual high-quality etc) is announced I’m always excited that this will finally be the time a profit is made and get my hopes up after the inevitable strong start but it rarely has worked haha. In any case, if those investor presentation figures were true I think it’s clear that there were risks involved financing this show and perhaps making a profit is not the primary goal of whoever is putting the money up! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#146PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 5:43pm

Has anyone here ever experienced a scenario where an entire limited run (even one of 2-4 months) sold out in a matter of hours, in a Broadway-sized theatre? I've seen it happen in London, but never heard of it happening here. But then again I don't get tickets in advance very often, so it's possible that it happens more than I realize.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#147PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 5:51pm

JoeW4 said: "Has anyone here ever experienced a scenario where an entire limited run (even one of 2-4 months) sold out in a matter of hours, in a Broadway-sized theatre? I've seen it happen in London, but never heard of it happening here. But then again I don't get tickets in advance very often, so it's possible that it happens more than I realize."

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for its first two batches of tickets, and Into the Woods was basically sold out within a week for its initial 8 week run.

PipingHotPiccolo
#149PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 10:39pm

bdn223 said: "
The fact that they made their transfer announcement on Morning Joe of all places shows producers know the production need as much media attention it can get in hopes of getting audiences interested enough to buy what many consider one of the toughest sells. "

I think it shows the producers are not at all banking on the Ben Platt fanbase by any means, and appealing to an older, liberal crowd of "newswatchers" who think the subject is exceptionally timely. A wise move-- i found out this was transferring from a co-worker who saw it on Morning Joe and was very excited to learn more about it. (this is not a regular theatergoer by any means). 

Videos