pixeltracker

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?- Page 6

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#125Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 4/15/23 at 7:30pm

I feel that she has become a HUGE box office draw, that the perfect casting for Mama Rose should be Jinkx Monsoon from "Drag Race".  She has the comedic chops and her performance of "When Your Good to Mama" on the "Drag Race" finale showed that she has the vocal abilities also!...

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#126Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 4/15/23 at 7:38pm

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "I feel that she has become a HUGE box office draw, that the perfect casting for Mama Rose should be Jinkx Monsoon from "Drag Race". She has the comedic chops and her performance of "When Your Good to Mama" on the "Drag Race" finale showed that she has the vocal abilities also!..."

LOL Never will happen. One of the strippers Mazeppa yes! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#127Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 4/21/23 at 3:48pm

Goodspeed trailer:

JSquared2
#128Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 4/21/23 at 3:51pm

Here she is boys...here she is world...here's ROSE!

Erika Jayne Las Vegas Residency Bet It All on Blonde: Interview – Billboard

BETTY22
#129Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 4/23/23 at 5:09pm

I would love to see Christine Ebersole take on this monumental role. 

Nolan LuPone
#130Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 4/23/23 at 9:00pm

Can't help but think of Sherie Rene Scott. That would be a magnificent return to Broadway for her!

Musicaldudepeter
#131Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 6:28am

Now that Sutton Foster is doing Mrs Lovett on Broadway, I can't help but feel she may be the next Broadway Rose in less than ten years' time. Thoughts? It seems like everything is lining up for this to happen some day. 

7thbighero
#132Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 7:13am

In a perfect world the next Madame Rose would be Heather Headley 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#133Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 10:50am

Audra McDonald will be the next mama rose.  Coming to broadway next season 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#134Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 11:18am

I hope we get some further confirmation of that.

Broadway Flash
#135Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 11:22am

Im hearing they already have a theatre lined up and contracts will be signed imminently.  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#136Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 11:33am

Yes, because you are a noted reliable source of information.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Owen22
#137Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 11:35am

NoItAll said: "At the age of 36, Lea Michele is currently portraying, to enormous critical acclaim, a preternaturally ambitious women who ages from about 20 to 35 during the course of the show. In a few short years, she will portray a preternaturally ambitious woman who ages from about 30 to 45 during the course of the show. She will be greater in the role than women who have technically superior voices, such as Audra, for the same reason that Callas was “greater” than Tebaldi. You heard it here first.

As a huge Lea fan I find this post very interesting. Though I have to correct you in that "technically" Michelle and Audra have different types of voices.  And both are the absolute BEST at that type of voice (Lea: belt, Audra: mezzo?  soprano belt?...). 

What we need is an interesting take on Rose.  We've seen and loved the others. But to have Audra's style meeting the razzmatazz of the written Rose would definitely be interesting. And having a younger Rose who ages into the battleaxe (instead of the usual older actress aging down at the beginning) would be equally interesting.

All of the other actresses mentioned here would, of course, be wonderful traditional Roses (Chenowith would be the less traditional, probably the casting that intrigues me the most).  But there can only be one Broadway Rose in the near future.  But I would love to see what the musical actresses of a certain age do in Britain. They take their Roses to the regions.  Johanna Riding, Ria Jones, Jodi Prenger, Caroline O'Connor, Shona White and Rebecca Thornhill have played Rose in theatres across the UK and Scotland.  Maybe our own possible Roses should do the same here.

"

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#138Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 12:17pm

Do Amy Sherman-Palladino and Rachel Brosnahan still hold some of the rights to Gypsy for film and TV? Other than not being a known commodity as a singer, Brosnahan working with Sherman-Palladino is about the only Gypsy I'd still get TRULY excited about.

As Mrs. Maisel, working closely with Sherman-Palladino, Brosnahan made a character you couldn't help but love even as she gave you reason after reason to distrust and despise her. Not a criminal, but a genuine emotional antiheroine. That's a sweet spot where Rose could work well: not a psycho-biddy or a madwoman, but a true and genuine f***up with a dream.

Jarethan
#139Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 2:51pm

I think it would be great to see a young Mama Rose one of these times.  The real Rose was 21 and 22 when her daughters were born.  That would make her low to mid-30s when the show begins and maybe 45 when it ends.  Someone mentioned Christine Ebersone.  She has missed her chance IMO...who really wants to see a 70 year old Mama Rose with her 10 -12 year old daughters in the early scenes.  That is too much of a stretch for me.

Truthfully, I would rather see Lea Michelle do it in her late thirties than someone in her mif-fifties (and I know most people who have played Rose have been in their fifties.

Owen22
#140Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 3:56pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I said it already, and I will say it again! Stephanie J Block needs to be Mama Rose! That woman has the talent and the voice for this iconic role! I can already see the energy she would send in Rose's Turn!"

She has everything required for the role except the charisma.

Broadway Flash
#141Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 4:06pm

Reimagined Gypsy with Audra. New book.  Starting in New Orleans.  Simon Godwin directs. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#142Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 4:16pm

Please tell me she’s going to have a standby ? Or Tuesdays off

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#143Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 4:35pm

Broadway Flash said: "Reimagined Gypsy with Audra. New book. Starting in New Orleans. Simon Godwin directs."

Gypsy is often said to have one of the best books of a musical ever. Having a hard time believing they’ve written a new one.

Broadway Flash
#144Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 4:38pm

Yeah but it’s 2024 hello.  They’re bringing in a racial element to it. 

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#145Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 4:41pm

Not applicable to Broadway audiences, but I hope Sheridan Smith plays Rose at one point on UK shores. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#146Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 6:24pm

Are the same people who are "reporting" that Audra McDonald is playing "Mama Rose" in GYPSY, the same people who reported that Rachel Zegler was going to star in the next big Broadway revival of EVITA?

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#147Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 6:59pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Are the same people who are "reporting" that Audra McDonald is playing "Mama Rose" in GYPSY, the same people who reported that Rachel Zegler was going to star in the next big Broadway revival of EVITA?"

And the same people who said Ariana DeBose was going to headline a Kiss of the Spider Woman revival. In their defense, I'm sure people did hear these things it's just that nothing is set in stone until contracts are all signed. And even then....

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#149Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/17/24 at 10:20pm

If I were directing or producing the next big budget, high profile revival of Gypsy; the very first person I’d have on my wish list to offer the role to would be Kate Winslet.  Guaranteeing a financial hit and recoupment + get Kate the T to complete that EGOT!  Also, no idea if she can sing — but I think Margaret Qualley would make an excellent Louise…  assuming she can sing. Haha

Videos