News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre- Page 7

DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre

LucyEth
#150DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/1/16 at 10:31pm

I am thrilled about the rave reviews that are coming in for this show.  Saw it last night and was completely overwhelmed.  The entire cast is superb, particularly Rachel Bay Jones, who can do anything IMHO.  But there are no words to describe what Ben Platt is doing on that stage.  It's probably the purest performance I've ever seen on stage...period.  An exquisite, very important piece of theater.

HSky
#152DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/1/16 at 11:04pm

GreenSharpie said: "I am starting to really want to see this show. Everyone is gushing about Ben Platt's performance and saying it's transcendent, and I am just curious if anyone can elaborate what is particularly special about his portrayal?"

As a lot of the reviews have touched on, it's an extremely raw and honest portrayal of a kid with anxiety and lacking self confidence. (At least to start - there's a difference between acts and from the start to end of Act 2.)  I saw today's matinee and there's a moment at the start of the Act 1 finale that was almost painful to watch because of the emotion in his performance.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

In DC, Evan went from putting on the tie to starting his speech, still nervously, but he got through it as the song (which was "Part of You," and there's still an echo in the show) built around him.

Now, in NY, Evan starts giving the speech from his index cards but freezes up, starts fumbling the cards, then has a meltdown and collapses on his knees. The agony in that moment (it likely helped being almost eye level) was palpable and you Ferrell like averting your eyes. The red rimmed eyed, tears, anguish - definitely one of those theater images that sticks with you. It brilliantly sets up the high of "You Will Be Found" that follows. There were several audience members around me thinking it was a one act musical when intermission rolled around because it left them with such a satisfied feeling.

JM226
#153DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 12:03am

I saw three times in DC and twice in NYC. These nearly across-the-board raves all but guarantee a Bway transfer. The only question will be when and what house. what I can say is that once this finally does come, Ben Platt automatically becomes the favorite for Best Actor. He is beyond worldly and words cannot describe. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#154DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 1:35am

dwwst12 said: "Agreed.....and can anyone hazard a guess as to how the heck Platt and the show did not get Drama Desk nominations? I admittedly don't ordinarily pay close attention to the DD's -- maybe they have a long history of odd choices.  And I have not seen all the nominees in the Actor or Musical categories.  But I did see some, and it's difficult to make sense of the omissions.

"

I'm guessing it has to do with the cut off date - since it opened after noms.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#155DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 3:42am

Absolutely LOVED the show! Got two more tickets and will continue to do the seemingly impossible rush! 

Something I find interesting: at the end of "For Forever," Evan sings "Two friends, true friends," and it reminds me of "One Short Day" from Wicked, which has a similar line. It's also interesting how they both describe a journey of two friends, albeit the former being a lie.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#156DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 7:52am

The Booth would be perfect for this...I hope the producers announce a transfer before the off Broadway run finishes. 

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#157DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 8:07am

RAVE REVIEWS mostly, with a couple of mixed reviews mentioning the act 2 problems that we brought up in this thread. Lots of mentions of Broadway transfers, and comparisons to pulitzer winning musicals. 

I HOPE THIS TRANSFERS!!!!!

LarryD2
#158DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 8:20am

steven22 said: "The Booth would be perfect for this...I hope the producers announce a transfer before the off Broadway run finishes. 

"

The Booth is occupied until at least January 2017 with Les Liaisons Dangereuses. I have heard that Dear Evan Hansen isn't transferring to Broadway until spring 2017 at the earliest.

Updated On: 5/2/16 at 08:20 AM

JM226
#159DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 8:42am

LarryD2 said: "steven22 said: "The Booth would be perfect for this...I hope the producers announce a transfer before the off Broadway run finishes. 

"

The Booth is occupied until at least January 2017 with Les Liaisons Dangereuses. I have heard that Dear Evan Hansen isn't transferring to Broadway until spring 2017 at the earliest.

"

you heard only partially correct in that there is no confirmed decision either way. the PREFERENCE is spring 2017.  can't wait. i love this show so much

LarryD2
#160DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 8:52am

How is what I said "only partially correct"? I said that the show isn't moving to Broadway until Spring 2017 at the earliest -- which is true. I didn't say it was confirmed or give a specific date. It might come later, but obviously those involved want to get the show to Broadway while Ben Platt can still plausibly play Evan Hansen.

Updated On: 5/2/16 at 08:52 AM

JM226
#161DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 8:55am

no. you misunderstood me.  they are still discussing the option of coming SOONER than the spring. that's what i meant... 

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#162DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 9:12am

dramamama611 said: "I'm guessing it has to do with the cut off date - since it opened after noms"

No, it got Drama Desk nominations --- but was ignored in those two categories, which is what I find remarkable.  Drama Desk must have some sort of rule that you can declare your show to be frozen, and can then be considered even if your opening happens after their cutoff.  I believe that's what happened with Shuffle Along -- they were eligible, but said they weren't ready and asked to be considered the following year.

dramamama611
#163DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 9:29am

oh....sorry.  gotcha.   I hadn't looked at the list all too carefully.  

Now I realize your how could it have been MISSED as opposed to not eligible.  ( I concur.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

billyelliotfan123
#164DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:00am

I think they would be foolish to rush in. Extend as much as possible at 2ST and come to Broadway in the spring 

dramamama611
#165DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:08am

No one should rush into things, but it depends on how much work they think they still want to do.   But what would the point of "extending as long as possible" be?  There are lots of people that won't see a show more than once, and would certainly prefer to pay off bway prices.

JM226
#166DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:29am

billyelliotfan123 said: "I think they would be foolish to rush in. Extend as much as possible at 2ST and come to Broadway in the spring 

"

as i have said a million times, they are NOT extending beyond that one extra week this month. this is it until it arrives to Bway in either the fall or spring, depending on what houses are open and available.

madela2
#167DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:30pm

Sorry if this was answered somewhere but how is the view from the box seats for this show?

When I was buying my ticket the only seat that came up was BB seat 10, which I purchased.

Nothing can be done now, I'm just wondering what to expect.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#168DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:36pm

madela - I sat BB6 for first preview and had a fine view, so you will be fine. There's truly no bad seat in the house. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

madela2
#169DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:46pm

Excellent, thanks!

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#170DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 10:46pm

I hope we get a cast recording...

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#171DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 11:18pm

We do have a studio recording of Waving Through the Window. There's also bootleg recordings of For Forever, Sincerely Me, If I Could Tell Her, and Only Us out there.

Updated On: 5/2/16 at 11:18 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#172DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 11:22pm

JM226 said: "billyelliotfan123 said: "I think they would be foolish to rush in. Extend as much as possible at 2ST and come to Broadway in the spring 

"

as i have said a million times, they are NOT extending beyond that one extra week this month. this is it until it arrives to Bway in either the fall or spring, depending on what houses are open and available.

"

No... you said a million times that it was impossible for the show to extend at all and that this is the run. Period. So many times. So who really knows. Your "all knowing" attitude is null and void at this point in my opinion. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#173DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 11:25pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "madela - I sat BB6 for first preview and had a fine view, so you will be fine. There's truly no bad seat in the house.

I unfortunately had a really bad seat in the balcony, BB5. BB3 and 4 were also miserable, right behind four hanging lights and two speakers. I kid you not. I complained and was told, The fine print said they were partial view! ClumsyDude, didn't you notice the light fixture that was blocking your neighbor's view?

Updated On: 5/2/16 at 11:25 PM

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#174DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
Posted: 5/2/16 at 11:46pm

I really hope this gets the transfer it deserves.  I saw it on Saturday night and was blown away.  Ben Platt is a force to be reckoned with in a performance that will garner him many an award next season (should it transfer).  I will agree that that falling of the house of cards plays it safe, but without the route taken the piece may not have such a certain main stem popularity.  And PLEASE in the interim...they need to get rid of John Dossett's song.  It drags the show down no matter the intent.

Also, stay away from the front row.  While I typically get my seats there as a subscriber (I am quite tall and love the leg room), there were a few things I feel I missed with this show as the stage is high.

Final word...Platt IS this show.  A performance to not be missed in a show that should have a great future in it.  I would see it again in a heartbeat.  Yes, it will remind one of N2N, but the resonance is quite different.

Videos