pixeltracker

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...- Page 8

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#175HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:08pm

Link is actually a pretty thankless role, filling the slot that would traditionally be the female ingenue love interest: look nice, sound nice. The role is not really a star turn, scene-stealing vehicle, in the way the other supporting roles are- even Seaweed, who has a genuine showstopper in "Run and Tell That." "It Takes Two" and even "Ladies Choice" (if they choose to do that instead, but why would they?) aren't terribly exciting songs.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 1/14/16 at 12:08 PM

Fosse76
#176HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:17pm

I think many of you are a bit delusional as to the casting. NBC needs to cast "superstars" in at least two or three of the roles to draw ratings. As Peter Pan has proven, mere celebrity status (Walken) isn't enough. NBC is going to want to cast actors who have a built-in audience. While I wouldn't necessarily call any one person in the cast of The Wiz a "superstar", collectively they brought to the table their fanbases, in addition to the title's fans and in addition to theater fans. The Sound of Music had great ratings because of Carrie Underwood's fanbase, the uniqueness of the broadcast, the wide appeal of the movie, and the curiosity factor. I'm starting to think the curiosity factor had a lot more to do with the success of The Sound of Music than any of the other factors. So title and stars are really what NBC needs to do for these to be successful (ratings-wise).

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#177HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:30pm

Link may not have a ton to do but a mediocre Link can sink a production FAST. 

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#178HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:44pm

I love the idea of Jane Krakowski as Velma and Matthew Morrison as Corny Collins. And if Jennifer Hudson is available, she would be great as Motormouth Mabel. She's too young for it, but she can play older well.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#179HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:51pm

Alexa Penavega has experience playing Penny, as does Corbin Bleu playing Seaweed.

Alexa's been in the spotlight thanks to DWTS and her husband Carlos is playing Kenickie in GREASE LIVE.  Corbin Bleu has his own fanbase, as well.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#180HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 1:03pm

Saw it on Broadway near the end of it's run and loved it. The movie was pretty good also, can see this working pretty well on TV.

Hairspray0901
#181HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 1:08pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Alexa Penavega has experience playing Penny, as does Corbin Bleu playing Seaweed.

Alexa's been in the spotlight thanks to DWTS and her husband Carlos is playing Kenickie in GREASE LIVE.  Corbin Bleu has his own fanbase, as well.

"

I saw Alexa on Broadway and she was honestly the worst Penny I saw. (I saw 4 or 5 penny's throughout the Broadway run including understudies). Though, based on your reasons - DWTS, previous experience - she probably already has a foot in the door. I hope they go with someone else, though. 

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#182HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 1:13pm

Jane Krakowski AND Patti LuPone are great ideas for Velma, for very different reasons. I think they would both be exciting to watch, even though Patti would sound better in my opinion.

Renart
#183HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 1:36pm

My thoughts on casting/character:

Divine's Edna was not intended to be "Gee, that's a man playing a women" so much as "Sheesh, that is one ugly slob of a woman."  Then through the course of the film the audience realizes that, despite their appearances (which the audience pre-judged), the Turnblads had more class than just about anyone else in the story.  I felt that was what John Waters was trying to depict.  This is why I so disliked John Travolta's portrayal.  He was made up to look "pretty" and played it with a cutesy voice that were totally wrong for that character.  

The big problem I had with Zac Efron as Link is that I never once believed that his Link loved Tracy.  I totally believed that Michael St. Gerard's Link loved Tracy.  Efron's Link loved Link. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#184HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 1:38pm

I adore Patti, but vocally I don't think she's right for Velma. Patti's voice is a little lower and smokier now that she's older, which isn't really where Velma's material sits. Plus, she doesn't really embody the bleach blonde former beauty queen. Krakowski, on the other hand, is such a perfect choice that I can't see anyone else playing the part now. She would nail it. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#185HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 2:25pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "I adore Patti, but vocally I don't think she's right for Velma. Patti's voice is a little lower and smokier now that she's older, which isn't really where Velma's material sits. Plus, she doesn't really embody the bleach blonde former beauty queen. Krakowski, on the other hand, is such a perfect choice that I can't see anyone else playing the part now. She would nail it." 

"I respectfully disagree...I saw Patti in concert a couple of years ago and while her voice is a little smokier with age now, she was still able to hit some major high notes in her belt. And let's be honest, nobody plays a diva better than Patti. I do agree with you that Krakowski would kill it though, so I'm anxious to see who they cast! Let's hope it is someone with some theater chops, unlike many of the Wiz cast. Anyways, I'm so excited nonetheless. :)

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#186HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 3:18pm

Marissa Jaret Winokor as Velma??

Scott Hoying for Link??

Updated On: 6/21/16 at 03:18 PM

JM226
#187HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 4:05pm

everyone stop suggesting Ariana. she is releasing a new album next month. she'll be on a world tour to promote this new album by the time Hairspray comes around. not happening 

Wilmingtom
#188HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 4:10pm

Way too many of the suggestions for Velma are old enough to be Amber's grandmother.  And as much as I adore Darlene Love, she's old enough to be Seaweed and Li'l Inez's great grandmother.  And please, no casting late-20s and 30-somethings as teenagers.  It robs the story of its youthful uplift.  The age of the actor playing Edna doesn't matter as much because he's concealed under so much hair, makeup and costumes.  A live audience isn't realistic when you have, say, a dozen sets in various areas of the sound stage.  And filming it in a theater does not make for event television but rather a Great Performances broadcast.  I think Hairspray is a terrific idea and wish them every success with it.

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#189HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 4:42pm

Austin McKenzie would make a great Link!

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#190HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 9:41pm

My DREAM cast would be as follows

Tracy - an unknown

Edna - Harvey

Amber - Annaleigh Ashford

Velma - Patti Lupone or even Idina Menzel

Motormouth - Jennifer Hudson

Link - Aaron Tveit or Darren Criss

Corny - Matthew Morrison or Jeremy Jordan

Seaweed - Elijah Kelley

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#191HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 9:47pm

Patti LuPone is nearing 70 years-old. Some of you really need to think realistically about what you're suggesting. Benanti or Krakowski, now those are appropriate and good choices. 

FindingNamo
#192HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 9:50pm

If we're going age inappropriate, I was LIZZO for Motormouth.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#193HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/14/16 at 10:48pm

Not to be a HairHopper or anything, but IMO this is so tiring. Everyone will get so excited, the hype starts already for a "hit" almost a year away; all sorts of dream casts are imagined as if it matters. NBC will hire 6 or so "names" to come in and work for 10 minutes between commercials...what makes me happy is this; a star will be born overnight (maybe) playing Tracy, a good chorus, dancers and ensemble will get hired giving a lot of people jobs for a while. Everyone will love it or hate it.

But everyday before then its "Hamilton cast uses toilet paper!" Don't get me wrong,I loved Hamilton but I hope you see my point.

Just remember we will elect a new President before this airs. 

Go ahead and hate me now; I can take it.HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#194HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/15/16 at 9:10am

So we're all agreed that we'd give Allison Janney another go at Penny's Mother/Female Authority Figure?

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#195HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/15/16 at 9:22am

I can't see why she would. Not only is it a pretty minuscule part, Janney is on a hit TV show and will likely be filming that when this is in rehearsals. She's great in the movie, but there's no reason for her to come back. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#196HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/15/16 at 9:38am

Not sure if he can sing, but how about Ryan Seacrest for Corny?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#197HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/15/16 at 9:52am

Plannietink08 said: "So we're all agreed that we'd give Allison Janney another go at Penny's Mother/Female Authority Figure?"

I think the consensus has been that Jackie Hoffman should reprise her role from the original Broadway cast.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#198HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/15/16 at 10:06am

Agreed with Gypsy. The two people I don't have a problem with coming back from the OBC are Harvey and Jackie. Every other time I've seen anybody else as Female Authority Figure - or Edna, for that matter - they haven't been able to hold a candle to either person. ESPECIALLY the matron.

Speaking of television filming, "Masters of Sex" is usually done filming by late spring. I'm really pushing hard for Annaleigh as Amber. Please please please, producers. Please.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#199HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/15/16 at 11:12am

I hope they don't cast Harvey. Hairspray is already too fresh in the mind for me, with memories of the OBC and film still recent enough. I want someone new so this doesn't feel like a tired rehash. 

Videos